IGNORED

Why does SPDIF basically suck?

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

and does it suck for Redbook, or only for high bit rates?

Coax SPDIF is fine up to it's typical limitation of 24/192.

With today's technology it is capable of being taken much further, but  most recent developments have been made in the area of USB audio, which has then facilitated the use of high res DSD that wouldn't have been otherwise possible.

Most members of the general public still wouldn't even know what DSD audio is though!!!

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

Well implemented Coax SPDIF can sound markedly better than most USB implementations , although it's bandwidth is inadequate for recent DSD implementations, where there is a limited amount of material available, and not in popular music either.

There is no reason why Coax SPDIF's bandwidth couldn't be markedly improved these days if there was a will to do so.

There are 12G coax cables available now. All have BNC connectors. These will handle any audio signal used today. Cheap too compared to specialty audio coax cables. 

The transmitters and receivers used in audio applications may not handle 12 GHz, the cable is not the problem.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

19 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

The transmitters and receivers used in audio applications may not handle 12 GHz, the cable is not the problem.

Yes, I realise that.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

The only way to get well implemented USB to outperform well implemented Coax SPDIF , is to remove the degrading influence of the PC's internal +5V SMPS, and replace it with clean low noise power via preferably an external battery derived +5V supply, which has no capacitive effects back to A.C. mains earth, and use a higher quality USB cable of the shortest possible length ,where there is vastly improved isolation between the D+ and D- leads and the incoming power leads.

Well implemented Coax SPDIF assumes the use of the correct 75 ohms BNC plugs and sockets, as well as quality isolation transformers at both ends .

BTW, the best USB cable is NO USB cable, just a modified USB-A male to USB-A  female adaptor .

It is also possible for USB memory sticks powered via a  clean external supply to work with a modified USB adaptor where +5V and screen are not connected through. This helps to remove possible earth loops with desktop PCs as the 0 volts and screen of USB memory sticks are internally connected together, and the PC's internal 0 volts is connected to mains earth.

In this case I use a USB Regen, but I need to insert the USB memory stick into the Regen AFTER the adaptor is plugged in and the PSU is turned on , in order for the USB memory stick to be recognised by Windows 10.

In the attached photo, the bottom cable is replaced by the adaptor.

USB  A to B adaptor.jpg

Regen plus JLH PSU.jpg

Thanks for the answer. Nice to learn new things.

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

which is best?

and how bad is the optical link in the Apple TV3?

The market will sort that out and no doubt there is a role for all three. 

USB: is here to stay, particularly if we consider Lightning as a variant of USB -- In my view not the best technically going forward but will likely hold the mass market DAC space.

Wireless and bluetooth will hold a space as well (should have placed these on the above list)

Ethernet: my favorite for long term "best"

Thunderbolt: hmm ... gaining traction in the "pro" space, I see this taking over the prior "Firewire" segment? Maybe, we will see. Don't have enough personal experience to compare with Ethernet.

I still put my $$$ on a singlemode fiber SFP+ module for killing the price/quality comparison. Hands down at this point.

optical link from Apple TV3 ain't no single mode ;)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

does it matter what noise is Behind the Digital Curtain as long as you isolate it?

Only in Oz and a neighboring continent down under. :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

Only in Oz and a neighboring continent down under. :)

We shall see Dennis, we shall see !  ¬¬

Perhaps on your side of the Equator it all gets sucked into a Clockwise Vortex ?O.o

8 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The market will sort that out and no doubt there is a role for all three. 

USB: is here to stay, particularly if we consider Lightning as a variant of USB -- In my view not the best technically going forward but will likely hold the mass market DAC space.

Wireless and bluetooth will hold a space as well (should have placed these on the above list)

Ethernet: my favorite for long term "best"

Thunderbolt: hmm ... gaining traction in the "pro" space, I see this taking over the prior "Firewire" segment? Maybe, we will see. Don't have enough personal experience to compare with Ethernet.

I still put my $$$ on a singlemode fiber SFP+ module for killing the price/quality comparison. Hands down at this point.

optical link from Apple TV3 ain't no single mode ;)

I have a Thunderbolt interface that also does USB.  I suppose I must consider the Thunderbolt to be superior as the required cable costs the most.  :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

We shall see Dennis, we shall see !  ¬¬

Perhaps on your side of the Equator it all gets sucked into a Clockwise Vortex ?O.o

Yes I was just thinking the electron spin is reversed below the equator or something like that. 

1 minute ago, esldude said:

I have a Thunderbolt interface that also does USB.  I suppose I must consider the Thunderbolt to be superior as the required cable costs the most.  :)

Thunderbolt is basically PCIe on a wire — so if you have a PCIe card, easy to remote. 

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

Yes I was just thinking the electron spin is reversed below the equator or something like that. 

Maybe that’s why the Internet works differently there? Ethernet cables have the wrong chirality — but fiber? ?

Hmmm ... perhaps we could do balanced streaming where the (-) path goes in the Southern Hemisphere ... and do we need to listen in Ecuador?

35 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I agree that USB is here to stay.  What are the chances that USB-C becomes the standard connection type on the rear of DACs and computers in the next couple years?  Supposedly, this is the attraction of USB-C:  smaller/reversible connection, 3.1 speeds, higher power, and it doesn't matter which way you plug it in.

2 minutes ago, buonassi said:

I agree that USB is here to stay.  What are the chances that USB-C becomes the standard connection type on the rear of DACs and computers in the next couple years?  Supposedly, this is the attraction of USB-C:  smaller/reversible connection, 3.1 speeds, higher power, and it doesn't matter which way you plug it in.

Well first I think we need an actual agreed upon USB-C standard.  Which we actually do not have.  USB-C could have been great, and was bungled worse than a keystone cops skit. 

4 hours ago, buonassi said:

What are the chances that USB-C becomes the standard connection type on the rear of DACs and computers in the next couple years? 

I think it would be good to have USB-C at the back of the DACs. It seems like a well designed connector.

I also think that High-End Hi-Fi manufacturers should make it so that there are USB-B and USB-C ports at the back of "money is no object" DACs.

4 hours ago, esldude said:

Well first I think we need an actual agreed upon USB-C standard.  Which we actually do not have.  USB-C could have been great, and was bungled worse than a keystone cops skit. 

Wait what!? I did not know that there is no 'universally agreed' standard for USB-C.

Can you please tell more about this, what is not agreed in USB-C?

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

After 6000 posts, you should know by now?

Surely > 6,000 posts in just over 18 months is a record for this forum ? O.o

47 minutes ago, Pete-FIN said:

Wait what!? I did not know that there is no 'universally agreed' standard for USB-C.

Can you please tell more about this, what is not agreed in USB-C?

I'm curious about that too. The standard has gone through some updates, but to my knowledge all variants are compatible.

28 minutes ago, mansr said:

No, you can't. You can do something more elaborate than the standard PLL and achieve much lower jitter, but you always must somehow avoid drift between your local clock and the incoming signal. USB does this by providing a feedback channel whereby the receiver can instruct the sender to slow down or speed up as needed to keep the fifo at a suitable fill level. S/PDIF is unidirectional, so nothing like this is possible there.

Of course it’s possible — every reasonable FIFO codes for the possibility of buffer over or under runs. Big enough buffer and should be statistically rare. 

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

Of course it’s possible — every reasonable FIFO codes for the possibility of buffer over or under runs. Big enough buffer and should be statistically rare. 

The S/PDIF spec requires a transmitter clock tolerance of ±1000 ppm for consumer devices. If your local clock is perfect, that worst case translates to a drift of 3.6 s per hour. To play a CD's worth of music without risk of underflow, you'd thus have to pre-buffer for about 4 s before starting playback. That might just about be acceptable. However, the DAC can't know upfront how long the incoming stream will last. For all it knows, you'll be playing continuously for a week. Handling that would require a 10-minute pre-buffer.

I suppose you could deliberately slow your local clock by 1000 ppm and avoid the need to pre-buffer. You'd still need a huge fifo to pick up the excess incoming data, of course, and eventually it would fill up.