IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

As is putting a larger value electrolytic capacitor in parallel with their input.

If you need additional lower midrange warmth try using something like the "Elna for Audio"  capacitors across their input.

For the moment I have got all the warmth that I need. I do have a couple of Elna Silsmic II in the drawer looking for a job. I just have’nt found a suitable spot for them yet.

🎛️  Audio System  

So far I actually like the PANASONIC FC series Type A aluminium electrolytic caps 560uF better (and much cheaper) than Elna Silsmic II 1000uF together with the Kemet A750

560uF. However, I have only tried it on two spots and are planning to make more evaluations later on that included other brands as well.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

So far I actually like the PANASONIC FC series Type A aluminium electrolytic caps 560uF better (and much cheaper) than Elna Silsmic II 1000uF together with the Kemet A750

I extensively use Panasonic FC capacitors which have a fairly low ESR, but not as low as the Panasonic FM. The Panasonic FC is a good all round type of capacitor.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

I have already explained this elsewhere several times.

Unless you use additional larger value capacitors at the input of the LT3045 PSU PCB, such as you would when using it after a bridge rectifier in a PSU, you will exaggerate HF detail.

Put 2 in series and you will get a further HF detail increase, and possibly at the expense of a more overall balanced sound.

Low end impact and lower mid range warmth may suffer unless you use extra capacitance, due to the LT3045 PCBs only using low value Tantalum or ceramic capacitors at their input.   But, if your system is lacking in  the HF detail area you may gain an apparent increase in the size of the soundstage and HF detail.

Micael  loves putting a couple in series because it appears to improve what appears to be lacklustre performance from  Spotify etc..

Thank you @sandyk. The ldovr LT3045 (stock) was already in my system and as you say, it added detail. Honestly, I don't think it was because of increased HF but because of decreased noise floor. The POE+CAT7 added bottom end tightness, instrument separation, and more expansive soundstage but it made the highs a bit darker, in a musical way, more enjoyable. Not sure how to explain it... Darker but with increased resolution, is that possible?

Is this POE thing creating some coloration or distortion that is balancing my system?. That's a possibility, but improvements are not only in freq response and are also noticeable in all the freqs range.

Cheers. 

This morning I got time to finish my next DC cable. The Supra BiLine MKII.

AB07527F-4452-4612-B4AB-2CB9FC64A2F9.thumb.jpeg.e5a5a449ab1823545d28889aba041d90.jpegBA0DBD74-2B99-4339-815A-FE5264A6C4EF.thumb.jpeg.20305945cd6670fc637df694d3748b3c.jpeg207F8380-1246-4072-8A27-0BB3BB960263.thumb.jpeg.6dcd69586af79d2da134ec5fc87ea14b.jpegE20486CA-0F96-40C1-9A24-4AD37860C2F9.thumb.jpeg.9bf4d3f783459d419706ecb81e3eb9b5.jpeg142B30DC-0CB1-4B8C-9CBD-F2B5605562D5.thumb.jpeg.638aee7e361e40da865a56545d218246.jpeg9329E2FE-4C64-4F67-B625-7C0FB3B96195.thumb.jpeg.0b32afc1c275e370118a88c159dc14c9.jpeg6C58D6C3-9DBD-47EC-993F-00A59E36E23D.thumb.jpeg.f271288f050c88f521de95de4a76ffff.jpeg859A39D6-C287-4123-A36E-4E82B4B2F28D.thumb.jpeg.df1181ba10d37bedb0fd40b827714dc5.jpeg

Note that this is a dual JSSG with two separate drain wires. The blue+red is connected to +Ve and the black+red is connected to -Ve and have their own shield AND drain wire.

Listening to Halehan - Temple of Maia again plus the brilliant Mike Dawes - Era where the acoustic and electronic mixed part and especially the hand drumming on the wooden guitarr interested me soundwise.

76600089-9B11-4E49-BC5B-038032B4E2B5.jpeg.27ad05a8b8ac425b1c5f2695167055d0.jpeg

I also want to point out that my DC cable is NOT powering ISO Regen. This is what powers it. No long DC cables. The DC cable is located between the LPS-1.2 and the galvanicly isolated Spdif output of the Luckit BluWave board powered by IR.

B8D50729-F537-42FC-A9A6-CD6A2524EA6B.thumb.jpeg.e0049f709bee3998ac6f2c387f86515c.jpeg

Anyway, how did this new DC cable turn out?

Great, with a slight upper head over the dual Supra DAC. A more calm and relaxed sound in perticular. More natural. That’s where Mike Dawes - Era really shines. No noticable changes in the treble area. The bass is still very deep but feels more articular. More precise and quicker. Presence, 3D, 4D, ambience etc is more or less the same as with dual Supra DAC. I am just more relaxed and more eager to just listen to music.

Technical Info

Mechanical Specifications

Number of channels 2  
Application examples Stereo Subwoofer, mp3, iPod, iPad, computer, among other mobile applications  
Lead area 0.24 / 23 mm/ AWG
Number of strands per lead 19 pieces
Strand dimension Ø 0.127 mm
Lead material Tin plated, Oxygen-free 5N Copper  
Di-electric (insulation) PE  
Shielding Aluminized PET foil  
Jacket Age and heat resistant PVC  
External dimension Ø 7.5 mm
Weight 56 g/m

Electrical performance

Resistance 72 Ohm / km
Capacitance 52 pF / m
Velocity factor 0.66 x C (speed of light)

🎛️  Audio System  

19 minutes ago, totoxio said:

Thank you @sandyk. The ldovr LT3045 (stock) was already in my system and as you say, it added detail. Honestly, I don't think it was because of increased HF but because of decreased noise floor. The POE+CAT7 added bottom end tightness, instrument separation, and more expansive soundstage but it made the highs a bit darker, in a musical way, more enjoyable. Not sure how to explain it... Darker but with increased resolution, is that possible?

I must admit that this POE thing could be creating some coloration or distortion that is balancing my system. And that could be one of the reasons why everybody gets different results and there seems to be no consensus yet.

Cheers. 

The more expansive soundstage IS due to extra HF detail, and you can go too far doing this, with the audio becoming overly detailed and fatiguing to listen to for longer periods. You may even  notice a small increase in sibilance with some recordings.

If you had Tone Controls on a preamp for example, and turned up the treble a bit you are also likely to get this larger soundstage effect.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The Supra BiLine MKIIs slight win over dual Supra DAC got me thinking. I just want to have good listen to the BiLine MKII before putting back the Supra DAC again with a slight change. I will put the red+blue on one cable to +Ve and red+blue on the other cable to -Ve. This way the two cables will be very similar, but the Supra DAC will have a drain wire loop plus +Ve and -Ve in separate cables and Supra BuLine MKII will have dual JSSGs in a single cable. Very easy to do so I might be able to do it tonight! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Why don't you enlighten us about mushrooms not cables then?

It is very well known that the effect of psylocybin on human spatial and time perception (soundstage) is drastically higher than that of power cables.

Both are highly subjective. Psylocybin is much more effective and has a known mechanism of action beyond placebo. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

52 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Sure.

100% sure... The microwave and rf engineers I was with last week were more than sure, I asked their opinion just to double check my understanding of DA... As were many others I have asked...

Its a DC supply cable, nothing special as long as it is specified for the job in hand, electronics is full of them, the magic ones only appear in consumer audio, I wonder why!!!

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

It is very well known that the effect of psylocybin on human spatial and time perception (soundstage) is drastically higher than that of power cables.

Both are highly subjective. Psylocybin is much more effective and has a known mechanism of action beyond placebo. 

Psylocybin Hallucination beats placebo any day. Placebo is just an hallucination that isn't really there !O.o?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

28 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Problem is psilocybin effect is temporary. Probably it is not known so well, spatial and time perception is pretty much imaginary.

43 minutes ago, marce said:

100% sure... The microwave and rf engineers I was with last week were more than sure, I asked their opinion just to double check my understanding of DA... As were many others I have asked...

Its a DC supply cable, nothing special as long as it is specified for the job in hand, electronics is full of them, the magic ones only appear in consumer audio, I wonder why!!!

Sorry, I wasn’t asking if you were sure.  

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

This morning I got time to finish my next DC cable. The Supra BiLine MKII.

To be clear, you aren't replacing a DC cable, you are replacing the entire power supply. The power supply is the DIY one you've built, not the LPS1.2 which is simply serving as a presupply for your own supply. Since you are into building DIY power supplies which is great, take a look at the Salas Shunt. As a shunt design, will tend to smooth out current demand spikes. Will tend to make any conceivable affect of its own power supply cable less relevent.

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

To be clear, you aren't replacing a DC cable, you are replacing the entire power supply. The power supply is the DIY one you've built, not the LPS1.2 which is simply serving as a presupply for your own supply. Since you are into building DIY power supplies which is great, take a look at the Salas Shunt. As a shunt design, will tend to smooth out current demand spikes. Will tend to make any conceivable affect of its own power supply cable less relevent.

No, I am just changing a DC cable with the Kemet A750 aluminium polymer caps that was there in the first place.

Here is the complete chain that powers soley the GI Spdif output of the BluWawe USB to Spdif board:

Gophert csp-3205II>Canare 4S6 DC cable>HPULN (3A LT3045)>LPS-1.2>Supra BiLine MKII DC cable>BluWave Spdif output (USB input powered by balanced 230-12VAC>Sigma 11>HPULN>LT3045 1A>ISO Regen). So the IR and Brooklyn DAC is powered by my own LPSUs and are not a part of this DC experiment directly anyway.

I hope that straighten the questionmark! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

18 minutes ago, Cornan said:

No, I am just changing a DC cable

Uh ... anytime you attach an LT3045 to the end of a copper wire, I call that a power supply as opposed to a cable. Its an active device with electronic components and calling this a cable just confuses the issue. That's just how I think about things...

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

Uh ... anytime you attach an LT3045 to the end of a copper wire, I call that a power supply as opposed to a cable. Its an active device with electronic components and calling this a cable just confuses the issue. That's just how I think about things...

Well I see it like that too, but it is still a DC cable that matters in the end and it is still out of the box! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Oh man! This thing just blew my mind just listening to the first 2 minutes to the first track (Encomium- Reverie) on Mike Dawes - Era! ?

CD787AA6-8EA4-47B3-BE11-0189BA5BF38F.thumb.jpeg.5aaa38a75da21ec4a15f100f47dd9fa8.jpeg90670BAA-2187-4550-B299-BCA5A69A4770.thumb.jpeg.d45f59d51a81ffe290081ebdfd91573f.jpegF333AB5B-6C80-4319-83EA-1F8F9A6F38BD.thumb.jpeg.17816035914b95c686d60deece939562.jpeg8A513C6D-ED0E-4018-A0B1-46D931EBB621.thumb.jpeg.cfb6c7f8aa228f8f5734b6b0169bef31.jpeg

The Supra DAC came back BIG time by the simple switch between the wires. Now each pair is connected to each pole and the drain wires of both cables are connected into a full loop.

Crazy! I guessed that it would make the Supra DAC more competetive against the BiLine MKII, but not ever to THIS extent! There are fibers and music glow in loads. Crispy high ends, smooth midrange and deep low ends. Air, 3D, 4D and everything else improved in a stroke of a lightning. No burn-in required at all. Just like a gate of heaven was suddenly opened for me to see all the bright lights, vivid colours and deep black colours. It really kicked the butt of any DC cable that I have ever tried before. I just love this crazy hobby! ?

I know what I want to do now. Change all my Ghent JSSG DC cables and Canare 4S6 into this! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Hey, where did you find this cable unterminated? I'll email the Supra distributer up the street to see if he can get some in, but wondering how much it costs per meter? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

11 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Hey, where did you find this cable unterminated? I'll email the Supra distributer up the street to see if he can get some in, but wondering how much it costs per meter? 

I bought if from one of my favorite local swedish dealers

https://www.svalander.se/shoppen/kablar/kablar-i-loesmeter/digitalkablar

Svalander.se?ma=get_image&id=24018

I’ll guess you’ll find it on eBay or similar with some search. It was SEK60/m at Svalander and it is extremely cheap. Cheaper than Supra Cat 8 and much better sounding IME. The best DC cable that I have ever tried. Remember that this is not a JSSG. These cables have no proper shield. Just the internal drain wires connected into a loop and it sounds magical! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Here is the US dealer for Supra. They can probably help you! ?

U.S.A.

SJÖFN HIFI
1020 E. John st., Suite 101 
Seattle, WA 98102

🎛️  Audio System