IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

7 hours ago, marce said:

So provide some explanation of how a DC cable can have such an effect on the sound quality.... an effect that I would have to use a DSP to mimic.

7 hours ago, marce said:

So provide some explanation of how a DC cable can have such an effect on the sound quality.... an effect that I would have to use a DSP to mimic.

Marc

Due to time differences, you will now have seen some reports and links from others to discussions in this area.

BTW, are you set up to receive PMs ?

I have sent you a couple recently with no response.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 hours ago, marce said:

funnily when I stopped trusting my ears my system improved....

Could not let this go...gave me a chuckle when i seen it ?

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

8 hours ago, genjamon said:

A good biking friend of mine is a laser physicist who works with very ultra fast lasers, and their ability to test the speed of these lasers and their other characteristics depends upon low noise sensors.  He laughs at me when I talk about the noise specs of our audio equipment, since in his carefully controlled lab environment he and his peers can't get anywhere close to 1uV noise threshold - he says the wiring picks up WAY more noise than that.  

What exactly is causing which effects - now that's a good question.  And many ideas have been posited on this thread.  We won't be able to do anything more than this silly game of trial and error unless someone with skill and tools actually properly tests systematically for the effects of geometry, shielding, dielectric, etc on rejection and/or filtration of electrical interference.

If you want to get audio replay working at the best levels, then you do have to worry about all this "silliness". The inconvenient truth is that the ear are quite excellent at picking up anomalies that are at the "edge of audibility", which are caused by lack of electrical 'cleanness' - and these shortcomings of integrity can be, yes, everywhere. The standard build of equipment gear is just not good enough, irrespective of cost - unless the designers spent their efforts on improving this integrity instead of adding bling, and exotic parts.

And, it makes all the difference between conventional stereo sound, and competent recreations of musical events, if one decides to sort all this out. The reasons, issues, problems are all very straighforward things, no mysteries, all well understood in activities where people absolutely need to get high resolution happening - it's just that people have great faith that sloppiness of implementation in audio doesn't matter, so long as some measurements look good - well, it just ain't so ... the fussier one is, the more the subjective SQ benefits.

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

I've done it several times now. I have to drill out the metal plug sleeve to 9mm. Shrink wrap makes the finished product acceptable.

Hi Larry

For reliability reasons, I fitted 3pin Mini XLR plugs and sockets to the PSU and cable powering my USB Regen.

I had to do virtually the same as you have done to take the thicker 7.5A mains cable offcuts.

I kept having trouble with unreliable DC 5.5 x 2.1mm plugs and sockets .

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

19 hours ago, genjamon said:

These LT3042/45 devices are so low noise that now the noise being picked up in the cabling connecting to the load is the dominant feature in the noise profile, thus making all of these cable changes quite audible

I suspect this is correct. Here is another data point.

My recently acquired lps1.2 replaced a lps1 used in my usb chain. In this position, the lps-1.2 feeds a y-cable to two chains of dual lt3045s (7 to 6 to 5 volts), where one output feeds an ISO Regen and the other feeds a vbus injector into an IFI black label.  The DAC can be started in two power modes, fed from it's internal battery or fed from vbus. Until the lps-1.2 arrived, the DAC always sounded better powered from it's battery. Now things have changed.

Fed from the vbus, imaging and sound stage has not changed, but the noise floor seems noticeably lower with a kind of shimmer, (almost like shade) around instruments gone. The result is a crystal clear point source of sound in a quieter sound stage.

While I am not sure I always like the vbus style sound, the difference is immediate and striking and for at least some material, especially classical, it is an improvement. Happily it is trivial to switch modes.

So I concur with Genjamons hypothesis that we are dealing with such low noise levels, that minor changes in shielding, cabling and regulation make an audible difference. It is as though we are approaching or have moved past some tipping point.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

12 hours ago, RamDawg said:

Troll

Any product that is sensitive to the DC supply cord is a poorly designed product. Industrial audio Consultant Dick Pierce pointed that out two decades ago, about expensive hi-fi digital products that were sensitive to digital interconnect cables.

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

Any product that is sensitive to the DC supply cord is a poorly designed product. Industrial audio Consultant Dick Pierce pointed that out two decades ago, about expensive hi-fi digital products that were sensitive to digital interconnect cables.

Don't you think a product should be evaluated against its design goals? I am sure you can see/hear why an industrial power supply might have different ones from an audiophile product for a home environment. I sure do not want a military/industrial specification applied to any of my super sounding audio products -not only unnecessary but would add silly cost and likely sound worse- a self defeating exercise?

Just noticed Ghent has added new wire to their portfolio of DC cables:

No Cat7 or Cat8 yet

Just received my Supra and uGreen, but haven't tested yet.

•  

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

That's right, it's all about money and power.

Not for me, I am personally concerned with understanding what affects audio quality/SQ, and when reasonable physical explanations are lacking, the fact that higher cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation, remains.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Not for me, I am personally concerned with understanding what affects audio quality/SQ, and when reasonable physical explanations are lacking, the fact that higher cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation, remains.

"when reasonable physical explanations are lacking, the fact that higher cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation, remains."

I think we are dealing with two facts in that proposed scenario:

1) Physical explanations are lacking

2) cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation

The conclusions drawn from those premises seem to be wildly different depending on one's belief system.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This troll has perched in our thread and aims to continue to make this his dumping ground.  He has had at least 1 offer to receive for free a DIY ethernet DC cable to try between his LPS 1.2 and ISO Regen (AC confirmed recent purchase).  Even the acceptance of such offer would diminish his troll cred for he is not receiving thread notifications because he is interested in our experiments.  Until he experiments himself and reports back 1st hand findings, his posts are irrelevant and complete ingorance. Please start your own thread dude. 

5 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

"when reasonable physical explanations are lacking, the fact that higher cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation, remains."

I think we are dealing with two facts in that proposed scenario:

1) Physical explanations are lacking

2) cortical function is a powerful modulator of sensation

The conclusions drawn from those premises seem to be wildly different depending on one's belief system.

Troll

11 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Nope, you are writing about a product that has a poorly designed power supply.

A very high percentage of power amplifiers have poor power supplies - this is why the sound deteriorates when higher sound levels are asked for. All sorts of solutions are possible; the 'easiest' one is is to to have multiple amps, one for each driver - the supplies are no better, but the load is divided.