IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

51 minutes ago, RamDawg said:

This troll has perched in our thread and aims to continue to make this his dumping ground.  He has had at least 1 offer to receive for free a DIY ethernet DC cable to try between his LPS 1.2 and ISO Regen (AC confirmed recent purchase).

Jonathan (@jabbr) is definitely not a troll.  He is a talented engineer who has shared a great deal here at CA and elsewhere.  He is skeptical but never closed minded.

12 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Nope, you are writing about a product that has a poorly designed power supply.

What product are you referring to?  Surely not the ISO REGEN with its 5(!) LT3042 ultra-low noise/ultra-wideband regulators with properly done capacitor networks and layout.  

One aspect we are considering is that while the LT3042s perform better than any other integrated reg on the planet--and are likely not reacting to digital activity current draw spikes--the TI TPS7A4700 we use to regulate a clean 5VBUS output from the ISO REGEN (for DACs that need it) is not quite as immune to such.  We suspect that users whose DACs draw VBUS from the ISO REGEN are more likely to hear differences with lower-inductance DC cables.

Then again, I won't be surprised if a few people pop up and say they are either not using the 5VBUS from the ISO REGEN or are using some other VBUS injection after it--and still hear some cable difference.

Remember, what people are playing with with DIY DC cables is not just our UltraCap supplies and ISO REGENs, they are experiencing this with other power supplies and other devices.

--Alex C.

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Jonathan (@jabbr) is definitely not a troll.  He is a talented engineer who has shared a great deal here at CA and elsewhere.  He is skeptical but never closed minded.

engineer??

He is however one of the best informed people on here and quite helpful.

Its getting like that on just about every thread, you have a differing view or question how something could happen and your jumped on as a troll as a recent thread has highlighted... It a sad reflection on the hobby when we can't have differing views...

Experiment with the various inexpensive DC ethernet cables first then your perspective will be legitimate. That's all. Trolls are ones who've not yet done so, put their 2 cents in and make assumptions based on no experience.  

Then you get comments like the one above, just makes me laugh, my experience of DC cables etc. makes me far more qualified than the poster to comment on such things, yet my views will be slagged of as a troll because they are at odds with all those that believe in magic dc cables.

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Respectfully, it would be great to see less of this and see more technical 'meat' to the discussion...

Would be great if you can you check out the 1st post in this link (again) and share your technical counter arguments/thoughts?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/

Keeping it technical and respectful of course.

I’ll again speak for myself here.

I have, as well as many folks I assume, played around with DIY cables. These include interconnects, AC and DC power as well as internal wiring, connectors etc etc etc.

Regarding DC cables, I don’t like those 2.1/2.5 mm plugs at all desire thatvbeing some type of standard. I greatly prefer a plug like one of the various round multipronged with a screw outer shield. There are many at Mouser and Digi-Key and if you are building your own cables and supplies powering your own devices that’s what you can use.

I responded to first post and have yet to hear a technical response, save for @Superdad just recently, rather have been accused of being a troll because either I just don’t agree with someone, or otherwise haven’t tested each of 10,000 iterations of cables — trust me I’ve built many DC power cables.

So yeah let’s keep it technical & respectful.  Anyone who thinks I’m a troll care to make a technical argument?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

and are likely not reacting to digital activity current draw spikes--the TI TPS7A4700 we use to regulate a clean 5VBUS output from the ISO REGEN (for DACs that need it) is not quite as immune to such.  We suspect that users whose DACs draw VBUS from the ISO REGEN are more likely to hear differences with lower-inductance DC cables.

Ok fair enough. My question would be that *if* this effect is related to spikey current draw from the downstream USB powered DAC *then* the inductance of the  DC power cable supplying the Regen would have to have an effect of the inductance of the DC power the DAC is seeing even through the USB cable!!! Does it? I’m going to guess not but willing to be shown otherwise.

(see that’s a technical argument folks)

20 hours ago, rah50 said:

Just noticed Ghent has added new wire to their portfolio of DC cables:

No Cat7 or Cat8 yet

Just received my Supra and uGreen, but haven't tested yet.

•  

I’m seeing $220 DC cables which ... err ... are approaching the cost of the ISO Regen, LPS1.2 and iFi Micro Black label etc ... making my point. 

Again, if folks want to DIY cables and power supplies, then terrific (really) but ...

15 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

engineer??

Ha ha no degree in engineering but like most scientists back in the day, we had to build our own stuff, and many many scientific discoveries were brought about by the creation and use of specific techniques which include sensors, amplifiers, electronics & software. 

My doctoral thesis was in molecular neurobiology which I managed to do without touching a test tube because of my skillz with hardware & software ?

Not doing as much science these days but I do consulting and design in what could be considered engineering related fields.

I also learned how to read journals and books along the way and maintain memberships in IEEE and AES. 

All’y’all can do that too ?

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

Regarding DC cables, I don’t like those 2.1/2.5 mm plugs at all desire thatvbeing some type of standard. I greatly prefer a plug like one of the various round multipronged with a screw outer shield.

I find the 2.1/2.5mm plugs and sockets unreliable for repeated  insertions.

Wherever possible I now use 3 pin Mini XLR instead.

They lock in, and the best part for me is that I can separately obtain 2 of each type for Au $4 on ebay. (Au.$8)

This includes postage !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

... like most scientists back in the day, we had to build our own stuff, and many many scientific discoveries were brought about by the creation and use of specific techniques which include sensors, amplifiers, electronics & software. 

...?

Good Lord!  I thought only scientists in the low-funded areas (like mine) had to build their own equipment!

But, yes, modern science is often advanced by new techniques or new equipment, that is not commercially available.

9 hours ago, marce said:

Its getting like that on just about every thread, you have a differing view or question how something could happen and your jumped on as a troll as a recent thread has highlighted... It a sad reflection on the hobby when we can't have differing views...

Then you get comments like the one above, just makes me laugh, my experience of DC cables etc. makes me far more qualified than the poster to comment on such things, yet my views will be slagged of as a troll because they are at odds with all those that believe in magic dc cables.

2 points

someone new to this bbs would not know anything about you

and someone without any technical education (whether in science or its 'service discipline' engineering?) would not know what is magic and what is real - <insert Isaac Asimov quote here>

nonetheless, even those who were educated or inculcated in a liberal art, and shielded form all scientific knowledge in college should ask, and not be so dogmatic

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Good Lord!  I thought only scientists in the low-funded areas (like mine) had to build their own equipment!

But, yes, modern science is often advanced by new techniques or new equipment, that is not commercially available.

If you are working in an area in which the instrumentation doesn't exist, the only recourse is build your own. Been there, done that!

12 hours ago, marce said:

How it works in the audio game is that at a certain point of "transparency", then doing the craziest things makes a difference in the perceived sound - I've been there numerous times ...

What's happening is that the SQ is an unstable equilibrium, meaning that the slightest perturbation tips the apparent quality in another direction - playing with a rig in this state is like adding rubber bands everywhere, to hold it together. The only way out of the "madness" is to address the underlying issues, sort them properly - and then all the peripheral silliness disappears ...

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Make that Arthur C. Clarke.

Asimov did say:

Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.

and

People think of education as something they can finish