IGNORED

Updated Yggdrasil (Analog 2) Listening Impressions

Undoubtedly just adding complexity, but here are my data points. Two months ago, I purchased an Yggy with all the current bells and whistles, including Gen 5 USB. This replaces a Bifrost Multibit without the Gen 5 USB. I have used the USB input only for both DACs. 

BUT ... I have also been using an ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1. 

After lots of experimentation with the Bifrost and ISO REGEN, I became pretty fully convinced that the sound was much better with the ISO REGEN than without.

When I upgraded to the Yggy with Gen 5 USB, as a control, I first used it for a month or more with the ISO REGEN, powered by the LPS-1, exactly as I had been listening to and enjoying my Bifrost Multibit DAC for a year or more. The Yggy in this configuration sounded vastly better than did th Bifrost Multibit (which was no slouch).

After allowing my ears to become fully adjusted to the Yggy/ISO REGEN sound, I took out the REGEN and just plugged my no-frills Belkin Gold USB directly into the Yggy's Gen 5 USB input. 

The sound was underwhelming. Shrunken soundstage, lack of air, constricted percussion sounds; a basic downgrade in sound compared to Yggy+REGEN. DefInitely still a step up from the Bifrost Multibit+REGEN, but not nearly the step up I got by combining Yggy and REGEN. 

So, just my data point, and I don't have a pre-Gen 5 USB Yggy to use as a control. But in my experience the Gen 5 USB offers little, or at least can be greatly improved by means of the UpTone Audio REGEN equipment described above. 

1 hour ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Undoubtedly just adding complexity, but here are my data points. Two months ago, I purchased an Yggy with all the current bells and whistles, including Gen 5 USB. This replaces a Bifrost Multibit without the Gen 5 USB. I have used the USB input only for both DACs. 

After lots of experimentation with the Bifrost and ISO REGEN, I became pretty fully convinced that the sound was much better with the ISO REGEN than without.

When I upgraded to the Yggy with Gen 5 USB, as a control, I first used it for a month or more with the ISO REGEN, powered by the LPS-1, exactly as I had been listening to and enjoying my Bifrost Multibit DAC for a year or more. The Yggy in this configuration sounded vastly better than did th Bifrost Multibit (which was no slouch).

After allowing my ears to become fully adjusted to the Yggy/ISO REGEN sound, I took out the REGEN and just plugged my no-frills Belkin Gold USB directly into the Yggy's Gen 5 USB input. 

The sound was underwhelming. Shrunken soundstage, lack of air, constricted percussion sounds; a basic downgrade in sound compared to Yggy+REGEN. DefInitely still a step up from the Bifrost Multibit+REGEN, but not nearly the step up I got by combining Yggy and REGEN. 

So, just my data point, and I don't have a pre-Gen 5 USB Yggy to use as a control. But in my experience the Gen 5 USB offers little, or at least can be greatly improved by means of the UpTone Audio REGEN equipment described above. 

Great feedback!  I will likely be trying the same configurations you did albeit with a LPS1.2 powering my ISO Regen instead of the LPS-1;). Just have to wait for my turn to upgrade my Yggy.  I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of improvement with the Regen and gen 5 usb that you noticed.

cant wait to get my setup back up and running!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 9:26 PM, jiminlogansquare said:

+1 on this.  Spot on from my experience too...only I don't have the Analog2 upgrade, just the USB5, FWIW.

Also, I haven't tried the AES input thoroughly...mainly because that board never worked for me for the first year of ownership.  It was supposed to be fixed when my USB board went out 9 months later and I had to send the whole box in, but I got it back and the USB was fixed, but not the other inputs.  I was using USB then, so I just let it ride (again).  When I upgraded to USB5, they did agree to fix the other inputs at that point (again).  And they did that time, but I'd made such an investment in USB at that point I never thought to explore AES.  Seems like something I should try if I can figure out how to do it economically at first.

3 hours ago, jay said:

Also, I haven't tried the AES input thoroughly...mainly because that board never worked for me for the first year of ownership.  It was supposed to be fixed when my USB board went out 9 months later and I had to send the whole box in, but I got it back and the USB was fixed, but not the other inputs.  I was using USB then, so I just let it ride (again).  When I upgraded to USB5, they did agree to fix the other inputs at that point (again).  And they did that time, but I'd made such an investment in USB at that point I never thought to explore AES.  Seems like something I should try if I can figure out how to do it economically at first.

The AES input has me curious too.  Let me know if you run across an affordable option(that’s also an improvement sonically).

On 3/20/2018 at 11:03 PM, mourip said:

Using a Mutec +3 USB with AES out is definitely a step up from even the new USB board but is not so cheap. I have compared both and use the Mutec.

@mourip are you comparing stock Mutec with GEN5 input?

(or is your Mutec smps removed etc)

Yes. I have a headphone system that uses a stock M3USB into an Yggy which has the new Gen5 USB board. No other tweaks or devices in the chain. I preferred the Mutec with AES out into the Yggy.

In my speaker system I also use a Mutec M3USB but it has been modified to use a linear power supply. It also uses AES into an Yggy but that unit has no upgrades...yet.

My Yggy with the GEN5 USB board is currently traveling to have the analog boards upgraded and then will go into my speaker system. Looking forward to seeing changes there!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 2 months later...

The original topic was impressions of the Yggdrasil Analog 2 upgrade.

A relevant comment for anyone still reading this thread. For anyone considering it, a word of caution. I signed up for the upgrade on March 24, and I'm still high up in the queue, at #74 of 171. At this rate it will take at least 5-6 months. Patience is not one of my virtues.

7 hours ago, nbtruthman said:

A relevant comment for anyone still reading this thread. For anyone considering it, a word of caution. I signed up for the upgrade on March 24, and I'm still high up in the queue, at #74 of 171. At this rate it will take at least 5-6 months. Patience is not one of my virtues.

OUCH!   Sorry to hear that.

With respect to comparisons of the original and the Analog 2, two members on SBAF forum have posted quite a bit of info on this topic and these 2 members have more experience buying, reviewing, selling and comparing DAC's that anyone else I am aware of.  I suspect many on this thread have already read those posts but if not, I would recommend checking them out.  And, of course, our CA site owner Chris has also posted his thoughts.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

9 hours ago, nbtruthman said:

I'm one ahead of you. I agree this is taking way too long.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

I think there is some fundamental component shortage that is affecting more than just Schiit.  Can't remember where I read it, I think on this forums someplace.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I've been waiting so long, I can't even remember when I ordered.  The cherry on the cake is that I ordered a Modi at the same time (in part to tide me over while unit was gone), and they won't send me the Modi until my upgrade number is up because they calculated shipping cost based on doing them together. 

So boneheaded from a service/relationship point of view that I can't even bring myself to push them

16 hours ago, Clemmaster said:

They're suffering a massive shortage, like everyone else.

I'm also in line and it won't move until the end of June. It's nothing compared to the wait time for getting an Ayre QB9 upgraded....

Sure--that's no problem at all.  As my daughter would say--"OH NO!!!  I have to wait for by $2,000 DAC to be upgraded!!!...First World Problem!"  Haha.

But they really could be communicative, and they could sure send me my Modi without me having to play detective, either with free shipping or an extra $10 or something.

I agree. I'm a fan too and probably have bought too much schiit from them. They could do a much better job communicating after a purchase. I once canceled a 2k+ order out of lack of communication frustration. I've given up on the SOL.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

If it is any consolation, when it does arrive, you all are in for a real treat.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/life-after-yggdrasil-watering-the-ash.4036/page-48

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 3 months later...

OK, after something like 6 months (5 in the queue, 3 weeks in transit), my Gen 1 Yggy is back home with the Analog 2 upgrade, and...

WOW! I am blown away. From the very first notes it's clear that the bass and transients pack more punch. Noise floor has dropped significantly, and I didn't think that was possible from where we started. Virtually everything is better articulated, with better separation, and thus the soundstage has also improved. All of this is done with no apparent loss of the musicality or warmth that Yggy fans love.

Frankly, I'm stunned. I was a bit worried that with no side by side comparison I wouldn't be sure the improvement was worth the $600 and 3 weeks apart. But it's taken my system to a whole new level. This is the best $600 I've spent in ages.

If you have a first generation Yggy, upgrade NOW!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried listening to the Yggy through studio monitors? I wonder what that combo could sound like. Maybe Yggy -> Freya out to monitors for nearfield

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 8:23 PM, jp11801 said:

I have the Yggy > Eddie Current Balancing Act > Genelec 8050 monitors and the sound is fantastic. I listen in near field at around 5ft and detail is stunning as is the tone.

I actually considered Genelec 8050s at one point, very nice, thanks

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

Schiit has already let slip on a video interview from RMAF that they have their own new USB implementation in closed beta that sounds significantly better than USB Gen 5.

Since they are still updating units to Gen 5 I doubt they will introduce the new USB until late next year. Everyone would have to send their DACs back in again unless they make the new USB available in a standalone box like the Eitr.

Check out the video at 30 minutes in. Could obsolete solutions like the Uptone ISO Regen that's why I am not buying until I hear that new USB on my Yggy A2.

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

To my ears, Gen 5 doesn’t cut it. 

Hmm, let's see what Schitt said about USB Gen 5.

Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's