IGNORED

Announcing the next generation: UltraCap LPS-1.2 (Now 5/7/9/12V! ; Now with parallel LT3045 regulators!)

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is that 90 degree DC cable part of the package ?

Yes.

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

If yes, is it the Canare starquad as well ?

No, it is the same 70cm 16awg coaxial cable as has been included with the original LPS-1.

We have a limited supply of our Oyaide/Belden shielded star-quad (18awg x 4 = 15awg paired) cables in 50cm length with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.   Not on the web site, but people can PayPal $70 for it to be added to their UltraCap orders.

5 minutes ago, sojourn said:

Now if it could power more than one device at a time it certainly would be more cost effective and a better deal.

Many people do power more than one device from a single UltraCap unit--using 'Y' cables.  But it very much depends upon the current draw of the devices being powered.  Our UltraCap supplies are each certified to produce 1.1-amps--at any output voltage setting.

20 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I know it seems like a long time ago, but it was just this week! I did in two days, Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

Yes, you definitely wore the hairshirt for that. And I have a few more grey hairs to show for it!  o.O  But you got it right my friend, and the boards are working beautifully. :)

26 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I am on the 3-day plan.  My units shipped on Wednesday with expected delivery today, but the package hasn't even arrived in Houston.

Is that you Brian?  Sorry to hear your package is a bit slow. :( Who knows, it might show up today after all.  Certainly by tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

31 minutes ago, Len-ski said:

Update: USPS just came and went and no package today. Tracking said it was on the truck yesterday in my town and now just says alert with no further updates. Been on hold with customer service for over 30 minutes now but am feeling great knowing I’m the only one in last 26 months with lost order ?

I am so sorry to hear this Leonard.  Must be very frustrating for you.  Let's keep an eye on it, and if it does show by early in the week, let's get another shipped out to you.  Contact me privately and we will take care of you in that case.

Still crossing my fingers for Saturday for you. 

12 hours ago, paulmckwan said:

Hi I'm from Hong Kong, just to share I received my tracking number notification mail on 23 Feb morning (HKT), for my ISO Regen / UltraCap bundle. And I just received the package at 27 Feb morning time here.

I'd say it is faster than expected.

Wow, 4 days.  That's crazy-fast for international Priority Mail!  :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 9:43 AM, pl_svn said:

Qutest's USB micro is inside a "recess" measuring 9.9x12.8mm (HxW)

hope this helps :)

Ah, I was looking for that measurement!  I just got in a bag of 20 DC2.1 barrel to microB adapters with an oval molded housing.  My digital calipers have it measuring 9.9mm x 12.2mm.  So width is perfect and height will be a snug fit.

If anyone wants one, just put a note in the Special Instructions box of the YourCart checkout page when ordering an LPS-1.2 and I'll toss it in for free.  If you have a pending order and want one, just shoot me a message.

5ab4572cb3f87_DCbarreltomicroB.thumb.jpg.12f147cba23813652ce8e41dd90ad13b.jpg

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

I suppose parallell is still impossible. 

Before you said a more powerfull version. Let’s say around 2A, would maybe be as muche 4 times the price. Or maybe even more ?

Is this still the case, or are you guys seeing a possible more powerful option without breaking the bank. Like below 1K maybe ?

I have no idea if there is a market for a more powerful version. 

I would probably used it on a HTPC, maybe a NUC, and for sure my SonicTransporter. 

2A would not be enough for an HTPC, a NUC, or a SonicTransporter.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex, just a quick inquiry- are you still thinking the LPS 1.2 batch scheduled to ship this week is still generally on schedule?

Hi Blake:

You--and 114 other people--have just now been sent the below update via e-mail:

---------------------

Dear valued UpTone Audio customer:

You are among the 115 people who placed and order for an UltraCap LPS-1.2 or ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 bundle between February 27th and April 11th. About half of you had your original shipment promise date extended from March 28th to today, April 12th. The rest of you were promised—at the time of order—shipment this next Tuesday, April 17th.

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you news of a short further delay. During testing we discovered an incorrect value of resistor (actually 2 of the same value) was installed on all the circuit boards of this second run of 250 units. This has prevented these LPS-1.2 boards from passing our rigorous quality control test process.

It took almost a week of day-and-night testing on the part of my engineer partner, John Swenson, to identify the cause of the issue. Now that we know what it is, it is a simple matter to install the correct value resistors and run the boards through the test-cycle again.

However, these are very small surface-mount parts—about the size of a grain of rice—so the work is best left to our circuit board assembly house. They have agreed to perform the changes very quickly for us. The boards have been FedEx’ed to them today, and assuming they also receive the resistors tomorrow, the work will be done over this weekend and the units sent quickly back to us.

As soon as the circuit boards arrive back, we will fully test, assemble and begin shipping orders. The 60 people with the earliest orders (#7043 and below, originally promised March 28th, then April 12th) can expect to receive notice of shipment this coming week—by April 19th.

We do feel confident enough to promise that the rest of your orders (#7044 and above, originally promised for shipment April 17th) will ship to you not later than April 26th.

Timely delivery of products to our clients is very important to us. Please accept my sincere apology for this unforeseen delay.

What is most important is that you receive from us perfect functioning products that exceed your expectations. That is something we will NEVER compromise on.

As always, your business, your enthusiasm, and your patience are all greatly appreciated. We promise this will be worth the wait.

If any of you have questions please contact us at any time.

Sincerely,

Alex Crespi

P.S. Many people have requested a microUSB version of our popular USPCB A>B Adapter. (For use with DACs such as Chord and other brands with microB USB input jacks.)  We are pleased to announce that these are now in stock. (If you have an ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 bundle on order and wish to change your USPCB selection to the new microUSB, just e-mail us soon.)

45 minutes ago, Blake said:

Thanks for the update Alex.  No worries on the delay, these things happen, and as you say, glad you caught the issue before they shipped to customers.  Cheers, Blake

P.S. I am one of the sorry sods still waiting for my LH Labs Vi Dac. Frankly, I've lost track of how many years of delay its been.  So a 1 or 2 week delay is a walk in the park.

Thanks Blake.  Holding other people's money for much more than 2-3 weeks always gives me a pit in my stomach, and I HATE missing promised ship dates.  It is just part of my personal/professional ethics. :$

This was a truly stressful week for John and I--at least until we solved the mystery of the wrong resistors!  Will still be a brutal couple of weeks getting the corrected boards through flashing/testing/assembly/shipping.  But I'm happy to put that work in so we can get caught up quickly.  Now if I can just shake this nasty cold/cough picked up from my son...

Oh, here is a snapshot of one of John's test setups this week during the hunt for what the heck was wrong:

5ad01ade8a114_JohnsLPS-1_2v1.2testjig.thumb.jpg.d67ea5c8e51b3781312c2e244c0af1e3.jpg

Four differential scope probes going on at once!

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, malarz said:

Just a quick (probably silly) question, is there a way to use the LPS as symmetrical PSU (+5V/-5V) ?

Not a silly question at all!  Since our UltraCap supplies are fully floating (not AC mains connected), they can indeed be wired together--battery-like--in series. +/-/+/-  either for combining voltages (pick up the sum of their settings at each end of string), or center-tapped to obtain a perfectly symmetrical bi-polar (positive and negative) supply.  Here is a diagram showing how to wire them for bi-polar (+/-) operation:

1865835076_UltraCapbipolarconnection.thumb.jpg.e49ec0d30df35216a602ad5494253717.jpg

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

If the Farad power supply does not use an SMPS, then are leakage currents really a concern?

Yes, very much so.  First off, all AC-connected power supplies have leakage—that includes every LPS, external or in a DAC, preamp, poweramp, etc.  If it has a power transformer connected to the AC mains then there will be some amount of AC leakage—over a broad range of frequencies—due to coupling from natural interwinding capacitance.

Equioment whose “grounds” are connected together via analog or digital cables, and which are powered by AC-connected supplies, will form “leakage loops,” (John wrote about this at length elsewhere on CA, but I am traveling and don’t have time to cite the posts.)

The purpose of using a non-AC-connected power supply—such as a battery or our isolated, bank alternating UltraCap unit—is to interrupt the leakage loops.  So if you power a component, such as a streamer or DAC (or an isolator such as our ISO REGEN) with a floated/isolated, not-AC-attached supply, then you are eliminating the leakage loop interaction of the components on either side of that analog or digital chain.

Hope that makes sense.  I’m super-pressed for time as my wife is waiting on me to go ice skating on Lake Louise here in Banff, Alberta, Canada.

At a later time I’ll address the misstatements and misunderstandings related to forthcoming the Farad supply from Netherlands.