IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

Here is a video about placing them on the BXT

At about 105lbs the BXT makes a great stand. No ‘sand’ needed🤗

Hey Bob-

I’ll trade you my original stands for a pair of BXT. I’ll even ship you the sand for free. 😁

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I wonder how much the BXTs, with that more secure mounting, are providing the benefits of mass loading, apart from any low bass additions. IOW, two pairs of Kii Threes in the same room, one on the Kii stands, the other locked onto the BXT cabinet, without the latter turned on - do they sound, ummm, identical? ^_^

BTW, in the video, still far too much wobble in the assembly - note the rocking of the cabinets at the end ...

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

How are the speakers locked into place on the stands? If I had these, one of the first things I would do is experiment with various ways of coupling the cabinets to the stands - to see what that told me.

Actually something which I also have contemplated given that the cabinet vibration of the Kii‘s has been measured (read it in a review somewhere...) to be fairly high. Would seem that sand filled stands certainly help but have their limits if the cabinets just rest on top of them ....

8 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Actually something which I also have contemplated given that the cabinet vibration of the Kii‘s has been measured (read it in a review somewhere...) to be fairly high. Would seem that sand filled stands certainly help but have their limits if the cabinets just rest on top of them ....

6 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

The cabinet is vibrating a bit: yes. I tested it intensively and it didn’t bother me. The behavior is handled by the DSP (also the behavior using one space for 4 drivers, rather isolating them from each other)+ it does not radiate audible noise. 

I have a friend who had old, tiny Tannoy speakers - ones where the tweeter is almost as big as the mid/bass unit :) - mounted on pretty solid steel stands. We did numerous experiments on how to couple the cabinets to these stands - and everything mattered. Ended up, because the aesthetics were irrelevant, using tie down straps, the type of things you get from motor accessory, camping shops to clamp the cabinets as hard as possible to the stands; precisely where one applies pressure is crucial here.

What was gained? 'Bigness' of sound; clarity, detail in greatly expanded soundstage - no negatives ...

On 7/12/2019 at 8:43 PM, Bernstein said:

The specs in the manual are wrong yours are right! 

Did you test them A/B with the feet? Over 600€ is quiet an investment...

Yes. I used them without initially. And the improvement is really good. But is it worth 600usd is another question. Yes for me. 

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

On 7/13/2019 at 3:29 AM, fas42 said:

How are the speakers locked into place on the stands? If I had these, one of the first things I would do is experiment with various ways of coupling the cabinets to the stands - to see what that told me.

This is what I use to a great effect. 

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation

Actually these made a bigger jump in sound quality than the feet. 

I use 3 thin fat dots under each speaker. 

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

9 minutes ago, KunterK said:

This is what I use to a great effect. 

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation

Actually these made a bigger jump in sound quality than the feet. 

I use 3 thin fat dots under each speaker. 

I would prefer the BXT mounting method to the stands. This connection is really innovative and easy to use. With sand filled stands you can improve sound aka decoupling via suitable stands. 

I think Herbies dots also can used on the stands feet on hardfloor. 

From my earlier post what I experienced improved my set up with the Kii Three:

"- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positive impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and also make unwanted resonances to my wooden floor and again had a bad impact on my turntable.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and even a more  3D soundstage."

I've also resent had a very nice demo listening the BXT modules with some of my reference music in my dealers listing room.

I must only say this takes the Kii's to another level with the way the overall soundstage was presented and  revealing the details in the faster low frequency respons was outstanding.

The BXT modules however are expensive and my Kii Three's still sound fantastic in my living room, so I'm  not sure if I'm quite ready to spend so much money on a complete active system that also will be vulnerable to any small errors inside the speakers... We are now talking about  a total of around 35 000 euro. But I must say again The BXT are still on my list...

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

I'm thinking of using Blu Tack for coupling the speakers to the stands and sorbothane discs for decoupeling the stands from the floor. Hopefully it will prevent my dog or kids from toppling the speakers over. A bonus will be better sound, I hope. 

@baconbrain

Could you please add Tord Gustavsen Trio with Simin Tander - The Journey to your playlist? Sounds excellent, with good dynamics. 

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

On 7/13/2019 at 2:29 AM, fas42 said:

Most likely I'd start from regular cork or foam cut to various thickness and size, just to see what happens and I'd move from there.  

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

1 hour ago, ragwo said:

I'm thinking of using Blu Tack for coupling the speakers to the stands and sorbothane discs for decoupeling the stands from the floor. Hopefully it will prevent my dog or kids from toppling the speakers over. A bonus will be better sound, I hope. 

@baconbrain

Could you please add Tord Gustavsen Trio with Simin Tander - The Journey to your playlist? Sounds excellent, with good dynamics. 

Could it be that the title of the song is „Journey of Life“ ?

7 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Could it be that the title of the song is „Journey of Life“ ?

Yes it is, sorry for not specifying that. The album is called "What was said". The whole album is a gem in my opinion, but a bit much to add to a playlist. 

15 minutes ago, ragwo said:

Yes it is, sorry for not specifying that. The album is called "What was said". The whole album is a gem in my opinion, but a bit much to add to a playlist. 

All good, I have added it.

You have also made me curious and looking forward to giving the album a listen.

1 minute ago, baconbrain said:

All good, I have added it.

You have also made me curious and looking forward to giving the album a listen.

Thanks! 

Tord Gustavsen has made several really good albums imo. I don't believe you'll regret listening through the album. 

9 hours ago, ragwo said:

I'm thinking of using Blu Tack for coupling the speakers to the stands and sorbothane discs for decoupeling the stands from the floor. Hopefully it will prevent my dog or kids from toppling the speakers

My approach is to always use everyday, low cost materials unless there is something special to be gained from using an expensive, "audiophile" option. Which means I have used Blu Tack for decades; with good results.

Personally, I would experiment with coupling the stands to the floor, or some very heavy base underneath - with Blu Tack, again.

How the coupling material is used is key: do it only at the points of greatest rigidity of the cabinet base, which is usually the four corners; and make it stick, really stick on both surfaces - I apply my full weight to the cabinet, forcing the substance to "squeeze out". The result should be that if you try and lift up the cabinet, that the stands will want to come along too, :D.