firedog

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm interested to know and I'd hate to see you in the same situation again.

Same here!

I live in an urban area, but power can be erratic with frequent brief disruptions. I inquired with Kii Audio about precautions with respect to mains power, but Thomas replied that none were needed. However after an incident in which the power cycled off, on, off and on within 5 seconds and the Kii crashed during reboot, I decided that mains protection was essential. I now have each Kii connected to a Vertiv pure-sine wave UPS (1500 VA) and haven't had issues since. Generally I avoid connecting sensitive electronics/computers to power strips.

21 hours ago, phosphorein said:

Same here!

I live in an urban area, but power can be erratic with frequent brief disruptions. I inquired with Kii Audio about precautions with respect to mains power, but Thomas replied that none were needed. However after an incident in which the power cycled off, on, off and on within 5 seconds and the Kii crashed during reboot, I decided that mains protection was essential. I now have each Kii connected to a Vertiv pure-sine wave UPS (1500 VA) and haven't had issues since. Generally I avoid connecting sensitive electronics/computers to power strips.

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm interested to know and I'd hate to see you in the same situation again.

Kii got back in touch. I originally understood them to say that one speaker was burned on the inside and they suspected a lightning strike or power surge. They now clarified that the speaker smelled burnt inside. They now think one of the amps burned out and passed DC to a woofer. That caused the burnt smell. They no longer think it was something external to the speaker, just an amp failure. 
That made me feel better, as it's unlikely I will encounter the same failure again in a different set of speakers.

Power protection: I've got a fair bit of power protection and isolation on my system. As far as pure sine wave UPS, do you find any downsides? Others think those type devices aren't suitable for high end audio systems.

26 minutes ago, firedog said:

Kii got back in touch. I originally understood them to say that one speaker was burned on the inside and they suspected a lightning strike or power surge. They now clarified that the speaker smelled burnt inside. They now think one of the amps burned out and passed DC to a woofer. That caused the burnt smell. They no longer think it was something external to the speaker, just an amp failure. 
That made me feel better, as it's unlikely I will encounter the same failure again in a different set of speakers.

Power protection: I've got a fair bit of power protection and isolation on my system. As far as pure sine wave UPS, do you find any downsides? Others think those type devices aren't suitable for high end audio systems.

I had something similar in my Kii's

They advised sending both speakers in . I think they replaced the amps in both and possibly the DACs.

No charge for either. They have great customer service!

1 hour ago, coot said:

Does Kii have a US service center?

Yes. But I'm not in the US and there isn't service for them where I live.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Good to hear that there was only a minor failure mode even though inconvenient. After @tomjtx reporting a similar incident, I wonder how common this problem is?

As far as negative audio consequences of pure sine-wave power, I have not discerned any. I am getting a constant filtered 123 V which is corrected for under- or over voltage conditions. All positive as far as I'm concerned.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:21 PM, firedog said:

In any case, they decided they couldn't repair this pair and be 100% sure that they would be "like new" and not cause further problems. So  they offered me a slightly used pair they had on hand for testing, and knew to perform at spec. No charge to me, and I was fine with this. They paid for shipment back and I received the "new" speakers today. They actually look like new and sound fine. So I'm happy. 

They handled it nicely, you're happy. Good stuff.

I too have had great support from Kii Audio.  My Kii Control stopped working so after a call to my US dealer and then to Kii in Germany they did a TeamView to remotely confirm my remote was faulty, which is was, and promptly shipped me a new one.

21 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

I too have had great support from Kii Audio.  My Kii Control stopped working so after a call to my US dealer and then to Kii in Germany they did a TeamView to remotely confirm my remote was faulty, which is was, and promptly shipped me a new one.

Products this pricey should be supported like so. It's also cool that they worked on the issue remotely. 

On 4/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, Pure Vinyl Club said:

I would recommend a Curious Cable.
From LAN cables I tried different - in order of improvement:
AQ Pearl
Ghentaudio CAT6A (ET02 Belden 1303E CAT6A Metz Ethernet(JSSG) Cable)
Melco Audiophile Ethernet Network Cable
AQ Vodka
Fidata HFLC

Coming soon from Japan AIM NA7.
I will compare Fidata Vs AIM NA7.

Hello, 

Have you had  the pleasure and the fortune of being able to hear it ?

Regards

Don't overlook Supra cables - excellent value.  I have them on the Kii and after a lot of comparisons (USB, Ethernet & Power) I went with Supra on everything.  Best sound in my system yet.

Just my experience after changing some cables. My combo is Chord Signature LAN with FTA Callisto USB.

I have tried Wireworld and Curious USBs, but ended up with this combination. Great value for money!

The best combination was Chord Signature LAN with Chord Sarum USB. Superb, but out of my pocket range.

I swapped out the stock Ethernet cables with some none descript but good quality Cat 7, no perceived improvement but they look much nicer!. Recently tried Audioquest Vodka and they had absolutely no difference.

Much more mileage was had by swapping the usb cable to the remote, very very different. As always YMMV so ensure any cables tried can be on loan first.

I use essential audio power cables and the Lush 2 usb cable. The Lush is a real accession to my setup. I love wat they do, I used the uspcb adapter first. The Lush is much better in my set. Sometimes I think nobody has heard the kii like this, really enjoying!

Actually,  a friend bought over his Lush USB and we compared it to the Supra and both of us were surprised that we both preferred the Supra.  Of course, everything is system dependent.  I have the SOtM trio employed in my system.

Never tried the Supra. But I tried my lush 2 on another kii setup but with the auralic aries and it didn't realy changed a lot. Maybee the combination with the iso regen and ultrarendu workshop better with the Lush.