IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

7 hours ago, Mazza said:

It seems to me that just as many would disagree too.....it seems that the commonly reported  reason is usually around the ability of the active filter [which is usually a transformer driven power supply with various other gubbins] to respond to the voltage and current swings for the  amplifier/speaker demands. If they can't cope then compressed dynamics is the probable outcome.

So mixed results dependant upon the kit. Hence, YMMV! It's always worth a loaner and try-out if you think you may have benefits from such a route.

Also agree, I am quite certain that all active filters do not perform the same. I can only reflect the experience I have had with my setup and perhaps the opinion of a few others.

Think the loaner suggestion is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m struggling to get the boundary settings correct on my Kii Threes. Speakers are on Kii Stands, 18cm from center back of speaker to front wall, RH speaker is 160cm from center to wall and LH speaker is 70cm from center to wall. Walls are Gyprock/plaster board fixed to timber stud frame with fibreglass insulation. Kii boundary settings range from 0 to -12. I’m trying to better dial the bass in and find I have to increase the low shelf to 5.0 to get good bass in my large 9m x 4.6m x 2.7m room. Any suggestions on the correct/best settings in my situation. Should I move the speakers out from the wall slightly more. I really wish Kii had a similar boundary setting to D&D 8c where you set boundary in 10cm increments.

Kii Three, Kii Stands, Kii Control. Aurender N100, 1TB SSD. Rega Planer 10 with Alpheta 3 MC cart, RCM Sensor 2 Phono Stage. PS Audio AC5 Power Regenerator. Audioquest Cat5 Ethernet, Diamond USB & Yukon XLR.

Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia.

What happens if you set them to "0"? You should be getting the most bass boost then. If that's too much, gradually dial the number down towards -12  till you think  it sounds as it should. If  the "0"  setting isn't enough bass, then either you are insane (😉) or something is wrong.
You may also find they sound better to you farther out into the room. I have a much smaller room and even though they sound fine in the corners (which is the position that makes the most sense given the size of the room), I prefer them farther out in the room and closer to my listening spot. 

I also find it a little odd that Kii doesn't give new users a bit more guidance about how to use the boundary settings. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Also consider moving your listening spot....you may be sitting in a bass null.  Just a foot or so forward or backwards can make a difference in the bass response at that spot in your room.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

• 2 weeks later...

The placement according to the back wall and side walls  will influence the overall presentation from the Kii Three's. This is my experience after listening to these superb speakers in my living room for two years now. 

Yes,  the DSP settings can do much especially for the lower frequency beneath 50-60 Hz but I find the overall sound performance are even better with more air around the speakers. 

@bobfa I will recommend testing this beautiful Kii There/BXT setup with some different placement, especially from the back wall and also the toe-in towards your listening position.

Congratulation with a superb setup! 

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

On 4/30/2019 at 1:31 AM, bobfa said:

I have been looking for a better Phono stage for the old system and decided to try the Musical Fidelity MX-VYN on the Kii Three system.  So a little reconfiguring has to be done.

Owned the Musical Fidelity for about a year and then swapped it out for a Gold Note PH-10. IMO a more appealing sound signature at about the same price point. Something perhaps worth giving a try if you are still looking?

4 hours ago, atletico said:

The placement according to the back wall and side walls  will influence the overall presentation from the Kii Three's. This is my experience after listening to these superb speakers in my living room for two years now. 

Yes,  the DSP settings can do much especiallyfor the lower frequency beneath 50-60 Hz but I find the overall sound performance are even better with more air around the speakers. 

@bobfa I will recommend testing this beautiful Kii There/BXT setup with some different placement, especially from the back wall and also the toe-in towards your listening position.

I am working this very slowly.  I have the toe-in set to the listening position.  So far the really do what I expect of them.  There has not been enough listening time to really evaluate things. 

The idea will be to bring them together and out in one step.  So in the picture I would swap the speakers so they are closer to the old console and the chair and the plant are on the outside and pull them out so there is say 12-16 inches behind them and the wall.  

2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Owned the Musical Fidelity for about a year and then swapped it out for a Gold Note PH-10. IMO a more appealing sound signature at about the same price point. Something perhaps worth giving a try if you are still looking?

I will check that one out down the line.  It looks like it is around $1500 and $1100 for the PS.  I have to see if my LP listening is enough to start down that path.   Thankss

6 hours ago, atletico said:

Yes,  the DSP settings can do much especially for the lower frequency beneath 50-60 Hz but I find the overall sound performance are even better with more air around the speakers. 

This is my experience with my Kii speakers I've had for more than a year. They sound great anywhere but they really shine a bit more out from walls

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

can the DSP fully correct for shoving them back into the corners?

I have just about finished dialing them in today and I can say an unequivocal yes.

IMG_1610.thumb.jpeg.c3654df9ab21a4c29e2f499ac19397df.jpeg 

I have been slowly going from -6 down.  At -10 things just jumped out.  I am now at -11 on both speakers.  

Listening to these two albums to "verify"

Blade_Runner_2049_poster.png.4e71ef53abe6aef03aebb3c7b87477d7.pngSoundtrack of Blade Runner 2049 and

BT_-_Untitled.jpg.2d748a5f867126d5e2188caf513efb37.jpgBT's  Untitled Album

The inside corners of the speakers are 4.5 in from the rear wall and toe in puts the other side 7in.  They are 11in from the sidewalls.

IMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.ba0188fa293217e106456dadc9cf9b1c.jpeg

With some more listening there may be some more tweaks.  For now call me Mr. -11.