IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

One can do the maths on what the sound level really is with the ears this close - it goes up 6dB per halving of distance from the direct source; let's say the peak is 95dB 2 metres away; 1m, 101dB; 50cm 107dB; 25cm, 113dB; 12cm, 119dB; 6cm, 125dB. Check the ruler - 6cm is mighty, mighty close! And, we have still not hit 130dB - also, I've taken an extreme example; typically one is doing this with far more moderate volumes, say 85dB peak at 2m - which then translates to a 115dB peak with the ear a little over 2" away. Players in an orchestra experience this for hours on end, so ...

Errm, I think you've got that wrong. If you double per halving of distance, then as you approach the source, the sound level will approach infinity.

1 hour ago, Andyman said:

Errm, I think you've got that wrong. If you double per halving of distance, then as you approach the source, the sound level will approach infinity.

Rule of thumb for acoustics: double the distance from the source, reduce by 6dB - so, works in the other direction, also. Why the infinity thing doesn't happen is because this rule assumes a perfect point source for the sound - which is good enough for most situations of distance - and when you get extremely close to the driver or other source of sound it's no longer a point source - so, that rule can't be used any more.

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hmm ... in my book that does not need to be true at all, unless you know the technical element which could be called some kind of glue, that makes the lot play music. So let's keep in mind, I can control most of the aspects we perceive from "sound through loudspeakers" as such, most of them by software alone. But there is no way that I have a dial for musicality.

The dial for musicality is to have no significant artifacts in the sound. By varying how the OS and computer processes the audio files, as you do, one will achieve different SQs, because the nature of the electrical interference alters - the ideal is to have none, but in our non-perfect world it's likely there will be some - so, play with every parameter until a reasonable optimum is achieved.

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

so, play with every parameter until a reasonable optimum is achieved.

Sure.

I see you take it lightly. o.O

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

One more for better explanation what I mean to say :

So an LP can't do that ? Music cassette can't ?

Of course they can, despite the noise, way fewer dynamics and actually lousy sound in comparison to what could be. And now watch out :

Referring to the "toe tapping" factor, ^_^ - yes, it's not an if and only if situation: "audibly flawed" sound can be very catchy ...

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Referring to the "toe tapping" factor, ^_^ - yes, it's not an if and only if situation: "audibly flawed" sound can be very catchy ...

Of course there are multiple factors involved. The music itself could be a factor. There are studies about this. What makes a song catchy. There's also the engineering involved. But I think you are directly addressing sound reproduction. 

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Indeed I do - too many bigger problems in the world, to get hung up on things in audio having to be "my way!"

I think what Peter way implying is that you appeared to take too lightly the fact that he feels:

a) fine tuning of the s/w is very important to the SQ;

b) it has taken him--and the entire XXHighEnd user base--a long time and a lot of patient work to arrive at their near-ideal settings and achieve concensus about them.

My vey first impressions:

- The volume of the stage where the event was recorded is impressively reproduced. I suppose this is thanks to a better rendering of low frequencies. No more punchy, no more dB, only correct, no distortion and controlled. This differs a lot from analogue reproduction where erratic behavior of the needle can be obtained by trying to "read" the LP.

- Even with the previous one, the midrange frequencies are the appropriate ones and the high frequencies detailed without getting to the exaggeration. Very similar to the analogue reproduction, but with much more extension in the highs.

- No more ping-pong with the Lush, but a correct, giant, deep and wide soundstage, without "holes" in the middle. Of course on good stereo recordings.

I'm impressed? Of course, DENSE & ORGANIC. Who said orgasmic (but in tone with the music) ?

Cracked?   No,  rediscovered !

Thanks Peter, my Rainforest has now eco-music reproduction, that perfectly match the environment.

Roch

PS / I had / have several crazy days, before and now with the Lush, something outside my home is interfering with the remotes, even with that of the preamp. WiFi went crazy, the TV turned on by itself, etc., etc. I have RF, Magnetic and Electrical radiation meters and they do not indicate anything strange. Someone knows of some (new) alien invasion?  :confused:

28 minutes ago, elcorso said:

My vey first impressions...

Hey Roch, I'm really glad the Lush worked out for you.

28 minutes ago, elcorso said:

PS / I had / have several crazy days, before and now with the Lush...

I never claimed the Lush would 'crack' all supernatural phenomena :)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

14 minutes ago, elcorso said:

I'm impressed? Of course, DENSE & ORGANIC. Who said orgasmic (but in tone with the music) ?

Cracked?   No,  rediscovered

Thank you Roch ! I am really happy it works out for you too.

16 minutes ago, elcorso said:

WiFi went crazy, the TV turned on by itself, etc., etc. I have RF

Does your RF meter also measure / detect the normal WiFi signal ? If not it doesn't tell much that you now don't see anything of it.

I hope you'll find the alien.

(I just tried to find the name of that movie with the monster disguised as a tree (was it with Sylvester Stallone ?) but I can't find it)

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, k-man said:

I think it's Predator. With Arnie ;)

Yep, that was it. And someone here indeed suggested him in between the lines.

Thank you !

So Roch, watch carefully for that animal.

XXHighEnd (developer)

38 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Thank you Roch ! I am really happy it works out for you too.

Does your RF meter also measure / detect the normal WiFi signal ? If not it doesn't tell much that you now don't see anything of it.

I hope you'll find the alien.

(I just tried to find the name of that movie with the monster disguised as a tree (was it with Sylvester Stallone ?) but I can't find it)

The interference is for real !

I spoke with Conrad Johnson chief technician regarding the preamp. He told me to remove all the digital equipment near it ...!

He then asked me if there was anything new in the house that would cause the interference. But I have nothing new that can cause this.

Wait a second, I have a new maid and always walks with 3 cell phones on top! But looking at her I do not have a heart to fire it 9_9

Would you ?

597cc1380a7c0_Newmaid.thumb.jpeg.7cf1d48d9ad42fa513cbed628fa9227a.jpeg

Roch

PS/ The interference is not a joke. I don't want to derail the thread, if somebody has suggestion, please PM me.

Roch, digital amps are known to cause such things (Tripath and the like). They radiate very high frequency and in uncontrolled bands (reserved for other communication).

Neighbors ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Roch, digital amps are known to cause such things (Tripath and the like). They radiate very high frequency and in uncontrolled bands (reserved for other communication).

Neighbors ?

No digital amps, neighbors far away.

Thanks, 

Roch

18 hours ago, fas42 said:

One can do the maths on what the sound level really is with the ears this close - it goes up 6dB per halving of distance from the direct source; let's say the peak is 95dB 2 metres away; 1m, 101dB; 50cm 107dB; 25cm, 113dB; 12cm, 119dB; 6cm, 125dB. Check the ruler - 6cm is mighty, mighty close! And, we have still not hit 130dB - also, I've taken an extreme example; typically one is doing this with far more moderate volumes, say 85dB peak at 2m - which then translates to a 115dB peak with the ear a little over 2" away. Players in an orchestra experience this for hours on end, so ...

As hearing damage at 115dB starts at around 30 seconds I suspect you're wrong about orchestra members spending hours at a time in that environment. 

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

14 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Doak - Yes, "dense" would be a most good description. I myself used different words for the same (and I forgot the words). Maybe I wrote it in the context of coherence (but at the micro level) and otherwise it would be the same as the individual transients which "connect" better. Anyway, it creates these firm / straight / taut string sounds, for example.

But please express it and all as you like. For now I only try to recognize whether it works out the same everywhere.

Thanks,

Peter

Today's obervation(s):

The gap between PCM and DSD has been all but closed. My DAC (see signature) has dedicated "engines" for each, and I've had a distinct preference for it's DSD playback.  What I'd noticed most with PCM was a some graininess at the edges of notes along with a slight hollowness. Listening through my PCM reference playlist today I do not detect a bit of either of those undesirable qualities. 

Words of the Day: REFINED & MEATY

Peter's new Lush USB cable has been in my system for only about ten hours. And while my system prior to the introduction of his cable was sounding the best I've ever heard in my room, the Lush cable has taken it to another level completely. 

It is simply the most realistic, natural reproduction of music I've ever heard in my room by a not insignificant measure. It's simply MUSIC!

Let me join the chorus and extend my hearty congratulations to Peter!! An amazing design achievement! 
22 minutes ago, cmarin said:
Peter's new Lush USB cable has been in my system for only about ten hours. And while my system prior to the introduction of his cable was sounding the best I've ever heard in my room, the Lush cable has taken it to another level completely. 

It is simply the most realistic, natural reproduction of music I've ever heard in my room by a not insignificant measure. It's simply MUSIC!

Let me join the chorus and extend my hearty congratulations to Peter!! An amazing design achievement! 

Well said cmarin.  It gets better with time as well. An amazingly easy and natural presentation is the result.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio