IGNORED

Munich High End Show 2017

1 hour ago, #Yoda# said:

IMO, the most impressive and dynamic speakers of the show this year: Avantgarde Acoustic's Trio with Bass Horn.

IMG_0723.JPG

I have Duo Mezzo and played Carmina Burana at not-so-modest levels and the dynamic range and resolution of horns was in full display. Amazing.  

What did they play?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

4 hours ago, wdw said:

I'm no prude by any stretch at all but I suspect this may be offensive to any woman reading this site.  Zappa was a brilliant musician and one of the greatest guitarist of our generation but the puerile lyrics simply distracted from his  genius.

Neither am I a prude at all. I did think the reply was crass and without merit. Some people just have no sense of style. 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

19 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Is this some form of NAA or RAAT where both ends of the protocol are licensed?

Sort of, but completely different kind of protocol from NAA. Mostly because it is designed for different kind of use case and requirements.

Biggest difference is clocking. NAA is never trying to distribute clock over network, clock is exclusively at DAC side. There is no clock on the network at all with NAA. This creates restriction that you can output only to single DAC because there can never be more than one master clock. While Ravenna is targeted to work in multi-endpoint scenario with multiple DACs and ADCs and the clock is distributed on the network and everybody else is slaved to that clock.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

31 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

This is useful info.  There was something off today.

Yes, the funniest thing is the show rules are you're allowed to generate a maximum sound level of 75dB in these porta cabins giving you a ~10dB dynamic range lol, i dont think there are many there following those rules to the letter :-)

5 minutes ago, edbk said:

Yes, the funniest thing is the show rules are you're allowed to generate a maximum sound level of 75dB in these porta cabins giving you a ~10dB dynamic range lol, i dont think there are many there following those rules to the letter :-)

At least in those atrium rooms many neighboring rooms were severely disturbing and spoiling other room's experience. Like I think Dali (the speaker manufacturer) was having some action movie stuff at realistic sound pressure levels with subwoofers and explosions with floor shaking in the neighboring room. Now try to listen to some small scale jazz in that kind of environment... :(

(not far away Marantz/Denon was also having some loud multichannel action movie shit going on)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least in those atrium rooms many neighboring rooms were severely disturbing and spoiling other room's experience. Like I think Dali (the speaker manufacturer) was having some action movie stuff at realistic sound pressure levels with subwoofers and explosions with floor shaking in the neighboring room. Now try to listen to some small scale jazz in that kind of environment... :(

(not far away Marantz/Denon was also having some loud multichannel action movie shit going on)

Ascendo too! Luckily for their neighbours their monster 50" subwoofer was only displayed ?

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Bryston wins ... what, exactly?

From Chris's posted picture it shows a top 5 no CD's allowed to played on a playlist.  Something that was recently brought up in another thread, same old stuff gets played again and again at these events.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

4 hours ago, Miska said:

At least in those atrium rooms many neighboring rooms were severely disturbing and spoiling other room's experience. 

+1 

The CH Precision room had a nice demo of a Japanese room treatment.  The demo was completely disturbed by the nearby room.

IMG_20170519_1647119.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Really good sound in this room. PMC AVM. 

IMG_20170520_125148.jpg

IMG_20170520_125118.jpg

IMG_20170520_125107.jpg

I love PMC speakers and AVM is their new distribution.  I thought the Bristol UK HiFi show sounded overly forced with the pairing.  Sounds like this version is better 

More Constellation Audio Leo. I really like this product. The sound quality really is something the other products in the category haven't matched. I listened for quite a while this afternoon. 

Edit: Constellation is shooting for fall 2017 release and less than $5,000 MSRP. 

The silver color is wonderful. 

IMG_20170520_132259.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

More Constellation Audio Leo. I really like this product. The sound quality really is something the other products in the category haven't matched. I listened for quite a while this afternoon. 

Edit: Constellation is shooting for fall 2017 release and less than $5,000 MSRP. 

The silver color is wonderful. 

IMG_20170520_132259.jpg

Man jewelry.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

23 hours ago, Jud said:

OK, who's got the new Sgt Pepper hi res ripped and playing?  (Along the lines of your discussion about why people don't play music at shows that might have some popularity and appeal.  If I heard "Pepper" coming out of a room, I'd run to get there.)

Not released yet. Only person I've heard of that has it is Michel Fremer, and he has connections.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I just thought of an idea I would love to see at shows. Manufacturers may not like it, but here it goes: a large touchscreen at the door where people can add songs to the queue and wait to hear their songs. I would listen to way more stuff for way longer if this was in place. 

At that point the experience would have to be accurately virtualized to work.  One man's acceptable intake of Zappa is another's unmusical test track across all systems.

Thanks for the live blogging of this event.  Have you been taking any phone videos or doing interviews?  Some of these rooms might benefit more from a short video than, especially in lower or colored light, trying to slow down long enough to shoot accurate photos.  Just an idea for supplemental material and reason to carry a second unconnected phone to shows.  :oB|

30 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just thought of an idea I would love to see at shows. Manufacturers may not like it, but here it goes: a large touchscreen at the door where people can add songs to the queue and wait to hear their songs. I would listen to way more stuff for way longer if this was in place. 

Yes, I have been pondering with the exact same idea. But at the time I thought of it back at the time and prior to a show, there wasn't enough time left to make such a feature.

And thinking of it ... while we "digitus'" would be able to even automate it, LP exhibitors would have a slightly large problem; especially in preparing (what's their library ?).

In practice it will bring a couple of more problems because in the end this is what I did with a show a few weeks back, but at inviting the auditioners. For example, you need to know your turn (say in 32 minutes) but meanwhile nothing can interfere much or you are waiting for another 30 minutes for your Pearl Jam, while Beethoven and Mozart play (never together though B|). In the end this gets messy because if you have to wait too long you want to bail out (or just don't show up).

Anyway, this really needs an "application" and it won't be super simple.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)