IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

1 hour ago, Tone Deaf said:

Didn't add the the Ranger for SQ reasons.  My room layout puts my Mac more than 20 ft from my DAC, so I needed it for the USB extension.

At one time I faced a similar situation, and found that I could use two 15'(max) USB cables with a powered hub in the middle to bridge the gap. I ended up getting another Mac, so didn't do any more then test it out (OK).  I don't know if that would be preferable to the 'Ranger', but a more conventional, and cheaper(?) option.

'Regular' USB to Iso Regen->USBPC->DAC ?

I have (but am not presently using) the ICRON 2304GE-LAN.  That's the only version that can both work through a network switch and support isochronous audio/video streaming.

While I have only tried it with a Ethernet cable (Belden Cat6A) direct between its boxes (skipping any LAN switch), and used a pair of LPS-1s to power the REX end (downstream side), I can say it works quite nicely and does not seen to do any harm sonically.  In fact, on its own, it is an improvement.  

There is nothing special about its output signal integrity or clock, so it (or should I more correctly say the DAC) does still benefit from the ISO REGEN afterwards.

Alex or any one else who might be able to help:

I got my new ISO Regen today. I'm using it with the LPS-1 for power and sending the signal into my Berkeley USB converter.  It worked fine and sounded really great for 3-4 tracks and then I just heard a cracking sound and the music stopped.  I rebooted the MacMini and started up again. Again I was able to listen to music for a track or less and then the same crack sound and I lost sound. The third time I just heard the crack sound and no music at all.

I have not yet been able to check out my old Regen to see if there is an issue outside the new ISO Regen although I expect not.  Does anyone know what I should try? Have there been issues with the Berkeley and the ISO Regen? 

Thank you 

hltf

On 6/13/2017 at 6:16 AM, hltf said:

I got my new ISO Regen today. I'm using it with the LPS-1 for power and sending the signal into my Berkeley USB converter.  It worked fine and sounded really great for 3-4 tracks and then I just heard a cracking sound and the music stopped.  I rebooted the MacMini and started up again. Again I was able to listen to music for a track or less and then the same crack sound and I lost sound. The third time I just heard the crack sound and no music at all.

I have not yet been able to check out my old Regen to see if there is an issue outside the new ISO Regen although I expect not.  Does anyone know what I should try? Have there been issues with the Berkeley and the ISO Regen? 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.  As an experiment, have you tried moving the red switch on the ISO REGEN to the up ("ON") position?  This defeats the galvanic isolation (but you still get 80%+ of the ISO REGENs goodness.

True galvanic isolation can be a tricky thing and the grounding and connections on both sides of it come into play in different ways.

If you still have troubles with the switch in the up position, then we can look at replacing your unit.  The batch yours came from--what we shipped on June 9th--was very heavily tested (I won't even tell you how many days and nights were spent screening those 100 units to be sure they were perfect)--but since the USB input of your Berkeley Alpha is 100% bus powered, there is chance that thermal sensitivity of the isolator in your particular unit, combined with an intolerance of error on the part of the Berkeley, are conspiring to give you trouble.

I'll reply to the e-mail you just sent and we can take it from there.

Thanks,

ALEX

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

As an experiment, have you tried moving the red switch on the ISO REGEN to the up ("ON") position?  This defeats the galvanic isolation (but you still get 80%+ of the ISO REGENs goodness.

True galvanic isolation can be a tricky thing and the grounding and connections on both sides of it come into play in different ways.

Just as a follow-up, defeating the isolation did indeed cure this gentleman's problem.  While others here with a Berkeley Alpha (as he has) have not had to that, his system is unusual in other respects with cascade balanced power transformers and other things.  We continue to work with him on researching his system grounding.  But of course the ISO REGEN sounds glorious even without the galvanic isolation enabled.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

others here with a Berkeley Alpha (as he has) have not had to that

I'm testing my ISO REGEN ==> USPCB ==> Berkeley Alpha USB ==> Jeff Rowland Aeris (via BNC) today with galvanic isolation enabled.  No problems, at least with redbook.  I don't use balanced power or isolation transformers.  Source is just a MacBook Pro mid-2012 running A+ 2.6.8.

I really like the USPCB, but I haven't tried swapping back and forth with a generic hard adapter.  It sounds too good to even bother.  The USPCB gives me a much more secure connection between ISO REGEN and Alpha USB.

Steinway has a showroom here in Boca.  I can close my eyes and dream that I have one in my living room.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Out of curiosity, does UpTone have a return policy/ trial period for their products?  I saw no mention on their website, and it appears their site is the only place to buy them.

This is a quote from the Uptone Audio website

As with all UpTone products, the ISO REGEN is sold with a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

does UpTone have a return policy/ trial period for their products?

It has been on the UpTone Audio Iso Regen Product page since it first went on sale. Perhaps it's a little hard to see in the middle right of the page.

26 minutes ago, Daudio said:

It has been on the UpTone Audio Iso Regen Product page since it first went on sale. Perhaps it's a little hard to see in the middle right of the page.

I was looking for their returns policy page - a page that the vast majority of internet retailers have, which it appears Uptone does not.  I can't be bothered reading through the entire product page to find the return policy, something that normally would have its own page.  I rarely pay much attention to what manufacturers say about their product, given the inherent bias.

2 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I rarely pay much attention to what manufacturers say about their product, given the inherent bias.

Funny - most people looking for a products like these from Uptone want to read everything they can find... and I think you'll struggle to find a manufacturer that gives as much unbiased information as Alex. 

Granted, Uptone spend more time perfecting their products and interacting with customers via this forum and email than they do fine tuning a website to your ideal of what a website should be , but well....

Try the gear, enjoy the music and don't be a cranky-pants ?

8 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Aha, no crank intended.  I was responding to the sarcastic "its in the middle of the page" comment by Daudio.  Explaining that I didn't read the whole page, in part because I only half pay attention to marketing speak, and in part because I never thought the return policy would be found there - given its not the norm.

No worries.  While it is in bold near the top of the page, I agree that it is time for me to write a whole page of the typical terms and conditions regarding returns, shipping, warranty repair, privacy, copyright, use and misuse, disclaimers, and liability.  

That, along with new pages for our Oyaide/Belden DC cables, more tech stuff on the Swenson Explains page (I've been collecting his epic dissertation posts for years), more on the FAQ pages, updated reviews and user quotes, new photos and a revised bio page, and quite importantly, a list of the fine overseas dealers who love our products so much they stock them with just a paltry 15% discount from us.

Frankly the whole web site could stand an overhaul.  It is rather amateurish to say the least. It is not as if I am unaware of these things.  It is simply that demand for our products outstrips the current staff resources I have (myself at 60-80 hours/week; my assistant at about 35).

We also intend to finally take out our very first advertisement--for the ISO REGEN & UltraCap LPS-1--in the coming months.  But at the moment, in our heavily back-ordered situation, the last thing I want to do is end up with another $100K of orders on the books waiting to be filled.  I am looking to hire another person, but right now I just need to focus on getting parts in and products out.

So all the fancy stuff has to wait.  Heck, I still have not had tile put down in the bathroom of our production building so we can get the toilet in! :/

"Marketing speak?" I hate that stuff!  I think you will find that most of the long prose on our site is rather straightforward description of the product design and function.  I have to force myself to weave in a little fluff about the sonic benefits of the products.  Contrast what is on our site to the confusing, can't figure-out-what-it-does-but here's-lots-of-graphics that appear on the sites of others and then we can talk about "marketing speak." x-D

Anyway, yes, not only do we offer a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee on our products, but unlike many other direct-sale audio firms we do not charge a 15% restock fee.  And instead of a 1-year warranty we provide a 3-year warranty.

Thanks for your interest,

--Alex C.

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No worries.  While it is in bold near the top of the page, I agree that it is time for me to write a whole page of the typical terms and conditions regarding returns, shipping, warranty repair, privacy, copyright, use and misuse, disclaimers, and liability.  

That, along with new pages for our Oyaide/Belden DC cables, more tech stuff on the Swenson Explains page (I've been collecting his epic dissertation posts for years), more on the FAQ pages, updated reviews and user quotes, new photos and a revised bio page, and quite importantly, a list of the fine overseas dealers who love our products so much they stock them with just a paltry 15% discount from us.

Frankly the whole web site could stand an overhaul.  It is rather amateurish to say the least. It is not as if I am unaware of these things.  It is simply that demand for our products outstrips the current staff resources I have (myself at 60-80 hours/week; my assistant at about 35).

We also intend to finally take out our very first advertisement--for the ISO REGEN & UltraCap LPS-1--in the coming months.  But at the moment, in our heavily back-ordered situation, the last thing I want to do is end up with another $100K of orders on the books waiting to be filled.  I am looking to hire another person, but right now I just need to focus on getting parts in and products out.

So all the fancy stuff has to wait.  Heck, I still have not had tile put down in the bathroom of our production building so we can get the toilet in! :/

"Marketing speak?" I hate that stuff!  I think you will find that most of the long prose on our site is rather straightforward description of the product design and function.  I have to force myself to weave in a little fluff about the sonic benefits of the products.  Contrast what is on our site to the confusing, can't figure-out-what-it-does-but here's-lots-of-graphics that appear on the sites of others and then we can talk about "marketing speak." x-D

Anyway, yes, not only do we offer a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee on our products, but unlike many other direct-sale audio firms we do not charge a 15% restock fee.  And instead of a 1-year warranty we provide a 3-year warranty.

Thanks for your interest,

--Alex C.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply.  On the PS Audio Forums, a user says the ISO Regan sounds amazing with the new Stellar DAC/ S300 amp - something I recently purchased.  I'm eager to try it out.  I'll certainly order one from you once the back orders simmer down.  Btw, obviously if there's a choice of time allocation, let the website be and put your time towards creating/ shipping excellent product - totally get it and am not intending to complain about the site.  Here's hoping you and your staff get some sleep!

@Superdad

Hi Alex, I received my ISO Regen today (powered by LPS1). Sounds awesome so far, but I have a quick question. I have the 90deg version of uspcb and after plugging it into my Yulong DA8 II Dac, the ISO is not sitting 90deg (more like 80deg) due to stress from my cables I think. will this damage the uspcb over time? should I add some support underneath it to try and straighten it? see attached picture.

Thanks

P_20170615_191112_vHDR_On.jpg

12 minutes ago, darren700 said:

@Superdad

Hi Alex, I received my ISO Regen today (powered by LPS1). Sounds awesome so far, but I have a quick question. I have the 90deg version of uspcb and after plugging it into my Yulong DA8 II Dac, the ISO is not sitting 90deg (more like 80deg) due to stress from my cables I think. will this damage the uspcb over time? should I add some support underneath it to try and straighten it? see attached picture.

Thanks

P_20170615_191112_vHDR_On.jpg

I'd definitely do something. I don't consider my uspcb to be a heavy duty device - not designed to do more than support the iso regen.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
14 minutes ago, darren700 said:

@Superdad

I'd be less worried about the USPCB--it's pretty strong and cheap to replace--and more concerned about the stress on the 'A' and 'B' jacks of the REGEN and your DAC.  While our board house has been specially instructed to heavily solder the shield-tabs of the jacks to the PCB on the ISO REGEN, I have seen people rip jacks off earlier USB REGENs (we use a different board house for that model) and from DAC boards.  So yes, some support is in order.  :)

42 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I'd be less worried about the USPCB--it's pretty strong and cheap to replace--and more concerned about the stress on the 'A' and 'B' jacks of the REGEN and your DAC.  While our board house has been specially instructed to heavily solder the shield-tabs of the jacks to the PCB on the ISO REGEN, I have seen people rip jacks off earlier USB REGENs (we use a different board house for that model) and from DAC boards.  So yes, some support is in order.  :)

Thank you Alex and everyone else for your advice. After investigating further I found the cause of the rotation to be a slight mis-alignment of the uspcb male connector. It is not perfectly 90deg to the female side of the uspcb. I have attached a picture showing this while plugged into the ISO. I have now added an oak support under the ISO Regen to support it. I am enjoying the hell out of this thing so far! even without burn-in the sound stage seems deeper, more 3D, and i'm hearing new micro-details in songs I know well. I kind of want to order another one already for my headphone system....

Thanks for making such an outstanding product for a great price!.

P_20170615_201635_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20170615_201916_vHDR_On.jpg

11 minutes ago, darren700 said:

Thank you Alex and everyone else for your advice. After investigating further I found the cause of the rotation to be a slight mis-alignment of the uspcb male connector. It is not perfectly 90deg to the female side of the uspcb.

Well that's weird!  Just looked at a whole pile of those and given the way they are constructed (using my inspired idea for creating the world's only PCB-mount full size 'B' male USB), it is hard to fathom how one would be mis-aligned like that.  While I'd like to see pics from another angle--or with the heat shrink torn off--how about you just let me send you a replacement?  'Cause that does not sit square with me either!

(Please shoot me a note via e-mail or our web site contact page so I know exactly who you are.

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well that's weird!  Just looked at a whole pile of those and given the way they are constructed (using my inspired idea for creating the world's only PCB-mount full size 'B' male USB), it is hard to fathom how one would be mis-aligned like that.  While I'd like to see pics from another angle--or with the heat shrink torn off--how about you just let me send you a replacement?  'Cause that does not sit square with me either!

(Please shoot me a note via e-mail or our web site contact page so I know exactly who you are.

Wow that's great service! much appreciated, and nice pun ;) 

I just sent you an email rather than use the contact page (since i attached a zip full of more pictures).

My IsoRegen & USPCB arrived earlier today. Using an iDSD micro dac, so macmini>uspcb>isoregen>curious>idsd>ic cables>preamp.

The IsoRegen is vertical, supported with precision by 2 small stacked Herbie grungebuster squares & 1 big baby bootie. So height & vibration covered!

No sonic quality remarks ... til around 100 hours ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Friday Update:

The last 40 of the original mid-May-promised orders shipped out today, along with about 50 of the "early-June" orders.  We are now working to finish up the other 60 "early-June" orders (up through #5578) for shipment this coming Wednesday, June 21.  So for those folks there will have been just a 2 week delay.

There are about another 100 orders (up through #5700) that were promised for shipment by "end-of-June."  The original production run of boards had a lot that did not pass QC.  That, combined with a shortage of chips to catch up with, caused a ripple over the past month, so it is becoming clear that only about one-third of those "end-of-June" orders will be shipped on time.   I will provide an update when I know more.

Thanks for your patience everyone.  From reading the user reviews it seems that it will be worth the wait. :) 

Happy Father's Day weekend to those who are one.  And to the rest of you, call your dad if you can!

P.S.  Here is pic from late Thursday night.  Sorting and making sure everyone gets the right combination of goodies--and the right export paperwork.  Order variations--what was I thinking?!

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.38000124d9163fbfa564f76cde27e2bd.JPG

On 6/16/2017 at 2:07 AM, Superdad said:

Alex, you really should put this in a visible place on every page, or at least on every product page.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)