IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

40 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

Alex,

When do you expect to ship the last ISO regens from the initial batch of 250 ? (I bought it the very first morning you sent the link)

That has been answerd already. Next week he indicated. Search this thread. 

Edit:

It was just a few post back. 

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That has been answerd already. Next week he indicated.

Actually, what I said was that more boards would be arriving June 1st (now looks more like Friday the 2nd), and then we would begin test, assembly, and shipment--the following week of June 5th (though yeah, I'll probably work the weekend testing--my new Lecroy USB protocol analyzer is really neat, but each board takes about 2 minutes to certify).

Really sorry for the delay, though I think my e-mail/post of May 15th estimating a 3-week delay (beyond the original May 16-19th plan) is looking quite accurate.  Thanks again for your patience everyone.

Beyond catching up with those 135 late-fulfillment orders are another 175 to build and ship--most of those promised for "early-June" as well.  Plus, right now about 75 overall are for ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundles.

So yes, success, but also a lot of pressure!  (It's not like I have a whole staff of people to help execute all this. And boy am I behind on things like accounting--and oh yeah, paying out those $50 rebates to about 75 of you. :D

At least this batch of 14 JS-2s is about finished (test/burn-in over the weekend for the last 6) and out the door.  For a change we may actually end up with 2-3 left on the shelf for a few days.  

Have a great weekend everyone!

--Alex C.

59289dcb472e1_May26thJS-2batch.thumb.jpg.dd670df1d10576c64de9a095c88f5e2d.jpg

1 minute ago, Speed Racer said:

So, is the "moat" is kind of shallow and the isolation is incomplete? At least that is what I get from John's comments. Can Alex or John detail what gets through?

No, the "moat" is complete.  Full galvanic isolation (put a meter across the shells of the two USB jacks and you will not get a beep). But data, while also isolated, has to cross over. And what John was explaining/hypothesizing is that "stuff" gets "baked" into the data (sorry, its Friday and my fingers are tired of typing).

But the data is digital. If we were talking analog data, I could understand "stuff" going along with it. When the data goes from one side of the isolation chip to the other, the only thing that should make it across is the ones and zeroes, right? What else could go along with it if the isolation is complete?

Yes, I understand that we are dealing with digital data being transmitted using an inherently analog medium (voltages on wires). But, the isolation chip is all digital. So how does "stuff" get "baked" into pure digital data in a digital circuit? Isn't the digital data stripped out of the USB packets on the dirty side, transferred through the isolation chip as digital data, then inserted into new USB packets on the clean side?

7 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

So, is the "moat" is kind of shallow and the isolation is incomplete? At least that is what I get from John's comments. Can Alex or John detail what gets through?

Not Alex or John and don't know for certain, but what I hypothesize:

- The moat is complete (you can see it on the board).  So leakage and ground currents are not getting through.

- The Regen (as opposed to the ISO) part of the circuit greatly improves signal integrity (reclocking, and removing any electrical noise generated by jittery signals entering the IR's USB PHY).

- "Improves greatly" does not mean "eliminates absolutely and completely," because no reclocking is perfect.  So *maybe* you might be able to tell the difference between a very good and very bad source, maybe not.

Anyway, that's my speculation.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

The Regen (as opposed to the ISO) part of the circuit greatly improves signal integrity (reclocking, and removing any electrical noise generated by jittery signals entering the IR's USB PHY)

I believe you can add (output) Signal Shaping and Impedence Matching to the above.

23 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

What else could go along with ...

So how does "stuff" get "baked" into ...

Isn't the digital data ...

Speedy, you've got a lot of questions, and Alex would probably like a little time to eat dinner and talk to the kids before he goes back to work, so here are some places you can go to learn that and more...

Original Iso-Regen announcement thread:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31013-iso-regen/

The beginning of this (launch) thread:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31589-iso-regen-launch-thread-product-web-page-up-photos-etc/

Don't bother with the 'Iso Regen Listening Impressions' thread until you get one and have a serious listen  :)

I'd also recommend the UpTone Audio web site. There are some nice tasty, but dated, treats in the 'John Swenson speaks' (sp?) section.

Enjoy  ;)

Hi @Superdad& @JohnSwenson

Apologies if this has been covered but I've been trying to track both this and the Listening experiences thread and didn't see it. 

What's your take on whether the isolation offered by the ISO Regen means that optical isolation is no longer needed or not. Theoretically do the two forms of isolation compliment each other or does the ISO Regen mean the optical isolation is no longer needed or less significant? 

By optical I mean a couple FMCs and a short run of Fibre optic cable in an ethernet run. 

Many Thanks, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hi John, 

I figured it was perhaps a semi-impossible question to answer with any certainty. Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. 

I'll write another post explaining my experience and why I asked this when I have some more time. But meantime thanks again and keep up the great work. 

Regards, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

John, you'll recall the noise level from the "warble" in my system was reduced when I added a Baaske Ethernet iso transformer.  Perhaps then in at least some (rare, anomalous?) situations, extra isolation beyond what's built in to Ethernet already may help.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Too much galvanic isolation? 

Greatly enjoying the ISO Regen, but thought it might be useful to share this experience with other users (and future users). 

Had a few times over the past week, maybe once a day, when my system would simply cut out.  Afterwards, my dac (QB-9) would be in a confused state and no longer play, with the only solution being to power cycle the dac.  After the power cycle, all would be good again.  In my system, I had simply replaced the standard Regen connected directly to my dac with the ISO Regen.  I don’t have the simplest USB chain however.

My USB chain:  Mac Mini -> normal Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron Ranger 2201 Lex -> Ethernet -> Icron Ranger Rex (LPS-1) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> QB-9

Disabling galvanic isolation on the ISO Regen eliminated the issue. 

Since the Icron Ranger provides galvanic isolation inherently through the Ethernet implementation, I wondered if the issue might be related to the Rex being powered via the LPS-1, which also isolates it on the power side.  The Rex had galvanic isolation from the Mini via Ethernet, isolation from the dac via the ISO Regen, and isolation from AC via the LPS-1, and as a result no path to ground?  Eliminating the Rex LPS-1 and powering the Rex directly with the JS-2 also eliminated the cutouts.

There was no noticeable difference in the SQ with the ISO Regen isolation defeated or enabled, which would be the hope given the isolation provided by the Icron Ranger.   

My takeaway?  With any unusual behavior using the ISO Regen, disable isolation before trying anything else….

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

5 hours ago, Tone Deaf said:

My USB chain:  Mac Mini -> normal Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron Ranger 2201 Lex -> Ethernet -> Icron Ranger Rex (LPS-1) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> QB-9

Do you really need the Icron Ranger ?

Would it not be better to simplify  everything and just use 2 USPCB between the Mac and the DAC. (With the ISO Regen in the middle). 

Maybe add uptone PS tweak on the Mac ?

(I buy the two LPS-1 you don't need then ?)

I can't see a compelling to use both the Icron Ranger LEX/REX and ISO Regen.

Well, maybe I can. Does the Icron Ranger take care of the residual clock phase noise "issues" that the ISO Regen can't completely eliminate? The ISO Regen is USB all the way through. But, clearly the Icron setup converts between USB and TCP/IP. Maybe when the Lex unit deconstructs the USB packets and the Rex unit reconstructs the USB packets, whatever clock phase noise is cleaned out. After all, TCP/IP is only going to transmit the digital data. How could it transmit clock phase noise?

John Swenson?

45 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Well, maybe I can. Does the Icron Ranger take care of the residual clock phase noise "issues" that the ISO Regen can't completely eliminate? The ISO Regen is USB all the way through. But, clearly the Icron setup converts between USB and TCP/IP. Maybe when the Lex unit deconstructs the USB packets and the Rex unit reconstructs the USB packets, whatever clock phase noise is cleaned out. After all, TCP/IP is only going to transmit the digital data. How could it transmit clock phase noise?

John Swenson?

The Icron  Ranger  like the 2214 is a point to point USB transmission using CAT5/6 cables to extend a USB wire. 

It is a true extender, so whatever trash you have at the source,  the Ranger will faithfully transmit that trash. 

Conversely if Intona or regen are wired to the lex unit,  the sound will change to whatever product does isolation or USB fixing.

I doubt the Ranger converts to that high baggage TCP/IP since the Rangers are not routable and the object is to create a transmission that looks like USB at the source and the receiver. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Do you really need the Icron Ranger ?

Didn't add the the Ranger for SQ reasons.  My room layout puts my Mac more than 20 ft from my DAC, so I needed it for the USB extension.  

Would it not be better to simplify  everything and just use 2 USPCB between the Mac and the DAC. (With the ISO Regen in the middle). 

It wouldn't surprise me that simplification (removing the Icron) might improve the sound.  Though I would like to see someone connect a Mini to a QB-9 with just an ISO Regen and 2 USPCBs.  O.o

Interestingly though, before the ISO Regen, I never found the Icron to be a detriment to SQ.  Others have echoed this sentiment.  Quite possibly this was due to the GI that it provided.

Maybe add uptone PS tweak on the Mac ?

Already have - see signature.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

5 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

With regards to SQ, I completely agree, but I needed it as a USB extender.  Though pre ISO Regen, it possibly provided some benefit due to the GI, which the ISO Regen now provides.

18 minutes ago, Tone Deaf said:

With regards to SQ, I completely agree, but I needed it as a USB extender.  Though pre ISO Regen, it possibly provided some benefit due to the GI, which the ISO Regen now provides.

....or use a quality endpoint, though that may not add much. Maybe you even tried ?

24 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

....or use a quality endpoint, though that may not add much. Maybe you even tried ?

I have not.  Yet....