IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

2 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Thanks, John!

I'll keep my paws off my UpTone gear and work on other things like modding my SU-1 (to use LPS-1).

Or if you are handy with soldering (as I remember you are), you can make up an adapter cable with a low-ish drop-out 5v regulator at the output end and run the LPS-1 in 7v mode. I have done this with a Dexa, a Belleson, and an Acko AKR75 into an SDTran384 SD Card Player & Allo.com Kali reclockers with always good, sometime very good results. For your 5.25v application, the Belleson or one of the TPS7A4700 or LT3042 add-on regulators would be best... the Dexa specifies a 2v dropout and the ADM7151 regulator that can be used in the AKR75 maxes at 5.1v.

PM me if you need assistance on this.

Greg in Mississippi 

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

9 minutes ago, gstew said:

Or if you are handy with soldering (as I remember you are), you can make up an adapter cable with a low-ish drop-out 5v regulator at the output end and run the LPS-1 in 7v mode. I have done this with a Dexa, a Belleson, and an Acko AKR75 into an SDTran384 SD Card Player & Allo.com Kali reclockers with always good, sometime very good results. For your 5.25v application, the Belleson or one of the TPS7A4700 or LT3042 add-on regulators would be best... the Dexa specifies a 2v dropout and the ADM7151 regulator that can be used in the AKR75 maxes at 5.1v.

PM me if you need assistance on this.

Greg in Mississippi 

Exactly what I did with mine, except I am using LT3045, but same idea.

SU-1 with LPS-1 at 7V.jpg

21 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for your clearly stated question @Tunepotato (how did you come up with THAT name?).  And as I see this is your very first post here: WELCOME to CA!

Since your DAC does not 5VBUS, then yes, ISO REGEN (original USB REGEN) will be perfectly happy with 5V for all the rest of its circuits--which all operate at 3.3V, leaving plenty of drop for their voltage regulators to function.

Alex (Superdad) and scan80269 ,

Thanks, for you speedy replies. I'm only now getting a chance to sit down and thank you both.

As for my name... Since I'm not a couchpotato watching tv, I am instead a couchpotato listening to tunes, hence the name tunepotato!

Hey Jud and middy you two gave me a good laugh, love the witty humor.

Cheers

22 hours ago, greenleo said:

John,

I'd rather you may produce  an LPS-12V version first, an item that has been anticipating, talked long time ago, and wanted for a long time.

That is all ready available. You just purchase two LPS-1. What is not available is a plug that does the serial connection. And that is what we should request. 

I suggest Alex should use some of his 1000 Oyaide plugs and offers such a cable. 

You may may even get Jesus new front plate that bundles two items together made withe a new text ?

On 15.5.2017 at 8:34 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Changing the voltage on an LPS-1 requires re-writing the firmware in the FPGA, not a trivial task. I think that would be one of the more ambitious reverse engineering tasks. 

If it's that "easy":

How many orders is needed to do such an upgrade, let's say at a cost of $100 pr. modification ?

Or even simpler, can the FPGA be field replaced ?

Better is of cause you guys make your own DDC ?

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

That is all ready available. You just purchase two LPS-1. What is not available is a plug that does the serial connection. And that is what we should request. 

I suggest Alex should use some of his 1000 Oyaide plugs and offers such a cable. 

You may may even get Jesus new front plate that bundles two items together made withe a new text ?

This has been discussed before.  Two LPS-1 in series means two energiers and will the cabling more clumsy.  Let all alone another cable is needed to contact tnbe 2 LPS-1.

16 minutes ago, greenleo said:

This has been discussed before.  Two LPS-1 in series means two energiers and will the cabling more clumsy.  Let all alone another cable is needed to contact tnbe 2 LPS-1.

The 12 V version has also been discussed, and if I remember correctly, John mentioned a 3K price point. So your option is then Vinne Rossi. 

A high price to pay just for some annoying cables ?

12 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The 12 V version has also been discussed, and if I remember correctly, John mentioned a 3K price point. So your option is then Vinne Rossi. 

A high price to pay just for some annoying cables ?

The 3k price point was not true.  John mentioned that the price could be similar to that of the current LPS-1 with 12V/1A output.  Probably the discussion was in the Uptone website rather than in here.  I cannot remember the exact content.

However, I can see 12V demands in other applications which is both Video and Audio related and that could bring business to Uptone.

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

The 3k price point was not true.  John mentioned that the price could be similar to that of the current LPS-1 with 12V/1A output.  Probably the discussion was in the Uptone website rather than in here.  I cannot remember the exact content.

However, I can see 12V demands in other applications which is both Video and Audio related and that could bring business to Uptone.

I think the $3k price point was for an Ultracap ATX supply! Going to a 12V 1A version is fairly easy, going to higher current is MUCH harder and costly.

John S.

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

You CAN use a single feeder supply for two LPS-1 units, it just has to have enough power to handle two at the same time. There is no way the Meanwell that ships with the LPS-1 can handle two. The Meanwell is a 22watt unit, so you will want a unit the can supply greater than 44watts. (same voltage range, 7.5 to 12V).

John S.

I asked in the LPS-1 thread but didn't get an answer, so let me ask again here.  What kind of ultra caps power supply is needed to power a full size DAC or a solid state preamp?  (Holo Spring L3 and Schiit Freya in my case)  Is it the LPS-$3k?

17 minutes ago, Altabay said:

I asked in the LPS-1 thread but didn't get an answer, so let me ask again here.  What kind of ultra caps power supply is needed to power a full size DAC or a solid state preamp?  (Holo Spring L3 and Schiit Freya in my case)  Is it the LPS-$3k?

Hi:

Sorry, I recall replying a few days ago, but it was via my phone and now it appears my reply never posted.  I'll try again:

a) Both your Holo Spring and Schiit Freya have their own AC>DC linear power supplies built in--to which you attach an AC power cord. So they are not adaptable to run from any external DC supply, ultracaps or otherwise;

b) Higher voltages, higher currents, and in the case of most analog circuits, the need for bi-polar (+/-) power--are all possible with ultracapacitors.  It is just that the whole affair gets very large and expensive very quickly.  

John and I have sketched out designs for such, but to be honest, we have so many exciting products on the drawing board (his fertile mind and my penchant for helping form and produce the hits) that I can't even guess as to if/when you might see the 10-amp, 4-output, wide-voltage-range, bi-polar configurable beast we talked about.  And yes, that gets right to the $3K price point you mentioned.  B|

Thanks for the answer, Alex.  (a) is only a matter of doing a minor mod similar to Singxer SU-1 + LPS-1, isn't it?

But I'm happy to hear you have many more exciting projects in mind.  Where do I sign up for UpTone Prime membership? B|

5 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I think the $3k price point was for an Ultracap ATX supply! Going to a 12V 1A version is fairly easy, going to higher current is MUCH harder and costly.

John S.

Thank you John for your chime in.

I do not dream the advent of a 3k PSU, it is too far reaching for me, and probably  for quite a few of the CA members here.  However, I do know that there are devices that needs 12V/1A, say Routers, Switchers, txUSBUltra, some HD decoders, ...With each of these devices powered by 2 LPS-1, it would be both very costly, space consuming and not elegant looking (in my POV).

It is up to Uptone to produce an LPS-1 12V/1A or not, an entirely business decision.  What I see is the comparative advantage of this potential product against your competitors, the advantage that multiple LPS-1 12V/1A may be simultaneously powered by a powerful energier which makes the organization simple.  Also more demand of 12V/1A audio devices are coming.  

As a faithful and long term customer of Uptone, I just point out my observations and rest my case here.

15 minutes ago, PeteGardner said:

1 - Does it make any difference if you place a Jitterbug at either the source or Regen end of the USB cable?

Are you actually able to place it on the end ??

(If so, I like to see a picture). 

Perhaps I'm out of my league in here but further to Q1 of my previous post, I am assuming that there are 3 possible combinations that I am considering when using a jitterbug with an iso regen.

1 source/jb/a-b usb cable/regen/dac

2 source/a-b usb cable/b-a adapter/jb/a-b adapter/regen/dac

3 source/a-b usb cable/regen/jb/a-b adapter/dac

Will all 3 options reap the same rewards or should the jitterbug be specifically placed in the chain?

Alex has mentioned that the ISO betters devices out there but we are not going to know if combining other products can add or detract to the SI incoming.

Within 2 weeks we will all know when it's in the wild, as a lot of people have tried numerous devices and combinations.

I for one will experiment but have no doubts after trying the LPS1 to power some and gained a big improvements.

I can't wait for my ISO to play with...

Lovely to meet you Pete.

Keep posting great questions and good luck.

Kind regards

Dave:)

2 hours ago, PeteGardner said:

3 source/a-b usb cable/regen/jb/a-b adapter/dac

2 - Is there an Australian distributor that the Regen can be purchased from?

Please never put ANY device between the REGENs and your DAC (besides a connecting adapter or cable of course).  You want to preserve the signal integrity and impedance match that you paid for with the REGEN. B|

And yes, John Daly at Sublime Hi-Fi Pty. in Western Australia has ISO REGEN units on order (http://sublimehifi.com.au).  He is a good guy, so maybe give him a ring.

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Please never put ANY device between the REGENs and your DAC (besides a connecting adapter or cable of course).  You want to preserve the signal integrity and impedance match that you paid for with the REGEN. B|

To keep this in proper context, would this apply to those who use a Mutec MC3+USB?  In my case I use a Mutec specifically because my DAC (Devialet) sounds best fed via AES/EBU.  Would use of the Mutec eliminate the goodness of the ISO Regen?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.