IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Sounds like some network configuration issue. Are you using DHCP or static IP?

Are you using graphical desktop on bare text console minimal/server? This makes a big difference because HQPlayer Embedded is started as a system service at boot time, while with graphical desktops network is configured only once you login through graphical desktop (because the configuration is stored per user). This means that HQPlayer Embedded is started way before the network is configured if you have a graphical desktop. HQPlayer Embedded is designed for minimal systems where there is absolutely nothing else than kernel and minimal init system (systemd) running, no graphical desktops or other such stuff. Graphical desktops usually use NetworkManager to deal with network configuration after login. While minimal server installations (headless) usually use something else to deal with network configuration during boot time.

If you are on DHCP, please try again after "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" once the machine is completely booted up.

We use Android Tablet to open HQPe web interface to configure HQPe then save the config or library file onto the Download folder of the Tablet. When restore I can find them in the same folder too.

But I found the content of this folder under HQPe web interface cannot be deleted which will cause redundancy inevitably .

So is there any way to delete these xml files when necessary ?

Android tablet seems to be a must to operate HQPe,  together with HQPDControl it woul  be perfect !

Thanks

2 minutes ago, maya said:

So is there any way to delete these xml files when necessary ?

You can just login and delete those files if necessary, just like any other file.

Web interface is only intended to have things that are useful for end-user buying a "streamer device". Manufacturers usually don't want end-users to touch other parts because it makes warranty and technical support so much harder.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just now, Miska said:

You can just login and delete those files if necessary, just like any other file.

Web interface is only intended to have things that are useful for end-user buying a "streamer device". Manufacturers usually don't want end-users to touch other parts because it makes warranty and technical support so much harder.

I found after using some installed Apps to deleted the relevant files but it still appear in the Document folder of the web interface  

Screenshot_20190915-160812.png

Screenshot_20190915-160909.png

On 9/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, Miska said:

This is not related to HQPlayer!? Looks like web browser stuff...

Cannot solve it.

Also found Debian 9 or 10 HQPe 4.11.1-31 after booting up

then systemctl status hqplayerd,

there is an  error message near the end lines, like " rygel-media-device.vala:138:failed to create device content failed to parse /usr/share/rygel/mo/MediaRenderer2.xml"

Is this a real error, how to deal with it?

Tried to install rygel , still the same.

Thanks !

Really enjoying the HQPlayer embedded setup on an Intel NUC - working great!.

Quick question re monitoring - wanted to see cpu utilization - but as total novice with Linux - not sure how to do that.  I’ve searched this very helpful thread and found the top command which shows me activity which is great - but I’ve tried htop command but doesn’t seem to work . . Any suggestions would be great.  

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Spindrift1414 said:

Quick question re monitoring - wanted to see cpu utilization - but as total novice with Linux - not sure how to do that.  I’ve searched this very helpful thread and found the top command which shows me activity which is great - but I’ve tried htop command but doesn’t seem to work . . Any suggestions would be great.  

Cheers

I have used two system monitors GKrellM and conky.  GKrellM is good right out of the box. Conky is better overall but you need to also install the Conky Manager in order to tailor it better.  Miska was the one that suggested GKrellM to me several years ago.

I'm in the process of migrating from a Ubuntu-based older NUC (shared with my SageTV server and a family NAS/file server) to a dedicated new NUC7i7 running only a USB image for HQPe and the transition has been very easy so far.  Plug in USB with HQPe image, power on NUC, remote login scan library on 2nd usb input, reconfigure target IP and library location on HQPDcontrol android tablet/app and, voila, music..........very nice.  I was especially pleased to see how quickly it read a 80k+ library (6TB)............I was expecting to check it in the morning but noticed the USB drive had stopped flashing and the library was complete...........didn't time it though...........next time.

I plan to do some testing and compare it to my Ubuntu-based server, then move all my music/listening to the new NUC based server.

The only question I have is how to manage the library and configuration when there is a new image/version available of HQPe.

Can I somehow save (how?  where?) the old library and configuration and re-load it or will I have to re-scan the library?

Or can perhaps store the library on my m.2 memory in the NUC?

In other words, how are the .xml and library files stored when using the USB image vs. an Ubuntu installation?

Thanks (and LOVE HQPlayer!)

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

The only question I have is how to manage the library and configuration when there is a new image/version available of HQPe.

Can I somehow save (how?  where?) the old library and configuration and re-load it or will I have to re-scan the library?

Yes, there's a backup/restore option in the HQPlayer web interface. So this should be pretty straightforward procedure. "Scope" is "System" when HQPlayer is running as an OS service. ("user" is only when it is started under user session in graphical desktop or such)

Backing up library data is probably not so useful, as rescanning it is relatively quick. And HQPlayer Embedded doesn't have editing facilities for the stored data (unlike Desktop), at least yet.

5 hours ago, Spindrift1414 said:

If you are using my latest image, or otherwise "headless" text console setup, you can login as "root" and then run "htop" to see per core loads and such. Older image versions didn't have htop yet, I added it when I added the core pinning features.

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, there's a backup/restore option in the HQPlayer web interface. So this should be pretty straightforward procedure. "Scope" is "System" when HQPlayer is running as an OS service. ("user" is only when it is started under user session in graphical desktop or such)

Backing up library data is probably not so useful, as rescanning it is relatively quick. And HQPlayer Embedded doesn't have editing facilities for the stored data (unlike Desktop), at least yet.

aaahhhhh..............so the backup is to my remote pc (lightbulb begins to turn on), not on the usb stick?

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you are using my latest image, or otherwise "headless" text console setup, you can login as "root" and then run "htop" to see per core loads and such. Older image versions didn't have htop yet, I added it when I added the core pinning features.

running latest version here...........will put on  my to do list

4 minutes ago, cat6man said:

aaahhhhh..............so the backup is to my remote pc (lightbulb begins to turn on), not on the usb stick?

Yes, using backup you just download the xml file (you can also do it for editing or what ever other reason). And to restore you upload it back. This way you can also switch between various settings files if necessary (I use it sometimes to switch between different matrix pipeline settings).

12 hours ago, Spindrift1414 said:

Cheers

In top just press 1 then you will see all the cpu % usage , no need for atop 

12 hours ago, Spindrift1414 said:

Cheers

While running top press 1 ypu will see all cpu utilization percentage 

Cheers 

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Hi Miska ,

Hope can edit the stored data in HQPe web interface 

Thanks 

On 9/15/2019 at 3:39 AM, Miska said:

Sounds like some network configuration issue. Are you using DHCP or static IP?

Are you using graphical desktop on bare text console minimal/server? This makes a big difference because HQPlayer Embedded is started as a system service at boot time, while with graphical desktops network is configured only once you login through graphical desktop (because the configuration is stored per user). This means that HQPlayer Embedded is started way before the network is configured if you have a graphical desktop. HQPlayer Embedded is designed for minimal systems where there is absolutely nothing else than kernel and minimal init system (systemd) running, no graphical desktops or other such stuff. Graphical desktops usually use NetworkManager to deal with network configuration after login. While minimal server installations (headless) usually use something else to deal with network configuration during boot time.

If you are on DHCP, please try again after "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" once the machine is completely booted up.

Hi Jussi,

Report back tried Debian Buster 4.11.2-36 by installing it over 4.11.1-31.

It works great also no more error message on systemctl status hqplayerd 

No more stuttering too 👍👍👍

Thanks ! 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I have a Windows, and Mac HQPLayer 3 licenses.Do either of theses qualify for discount on a HQPplayer embedded 4 license ?

No, the discount is not cross-product. So either one is fine for HQPlayer 4 Desktop upgrade (you  need just one for all three platforms), but not for HQPlayer 4 Embedded.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

No, the discount is not cross-product. So either one is fine for HQPlayer 4 Desktop upgrade (you  need just one for all three platforms), but not for HQPlayer 4 Embedded.

Hi Miska

I know how transfer of Embedded license works, but what about with Desktop?

Can Desktop license be transferred to new PC? Same procedure as Embedded?

I just built a new PC, hoping ir would enable stutterless playback of SDM bit rate 11289600 (DSD256).

Configuration:

case    Fractal Design Define Nano S
mobo    Asrock Z390M-ITX/AC
cpu    Intel Core i7-7900K
cpu fan    Noctua NH-L12S
memory    16GB DDR4-2666 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x8
NIC    Intel X520-D2 (not yet installed)
PSU    Seasonic 400W fanless platinum

I run this with AudioLinux and HQPlayer Embedded 4 from a usb stick and it works well playing DSD256 without any tweaks in the BIOS. Temperatures do not come above 45 C and CPU utilization is low.

Also I am pleasantly surprised that the PC (with its isolated case and fanless PSU) is pretty silent. I could even consider keeping it in the audio room. Not sure yet.

I have ordered a fiber NIC, and when this is installed I will send Miska the new fingerprint for a new license code.

About the PSU: currently this is not linear, but a high quality and pretty low-ripple Seasonic, for which I used the stock power cable. I made this choice assuming that the HQPlayer server is well isolated from the endpoint PC which also has a fiber NIC. I could upgrade the power cable of course.

Too early to review the sound, I think it needs some time as this is a newly built PC. If I am not totally happy I could replace the Seasonic by this combination:

PSU DC-ATX    HDPlex 400W DCATX
PSU AC-DC    HDPlex 200W LPSU (or HDPlex 100W for mobo + HDPlex 200W for cpu)

Any advise here on how important the PSU is for the server ('control pc') in such a setup?

Or would using the Seasonic for the mobo and a LPSU for the CPU be a good idea?

audio system

11 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Any advise here on how important the PSU is for the server ('control pc') in such a setup?

I'm using the combo

HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply (LPS)

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX 

in my Audio PC (i9-9900K) succesful. Highly recommend.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

I'm using the combo

HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply (LPS)

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX 

in my Audio PC (i9-9900K) succesful. Highly recommend.

You say audio PC: does this mean endpoint? I have no doubt it makes a big difference there. But my question was about the HQPe server, which send its data to an isolated endpoint running NAA. The latter is already linearly powered.

audio system