IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

41 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Are you running the following command in the same directory that you downloaded the iso file under?

echo "b9beac143e36226aa8a0b03fc1cbb5921cff80123866e718aaeba4edb81cfa63 *ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso" | shasum -a 256 --check

The above command is for file that is downloaded from http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.3/ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso

Thank you! it works!! 

Been trying to get a more powerful computer to play using HQPe. Dedicated my NUC server to NAA and a gaming rig to be the server.

Can't play for some reason, 

RoonServer and HQPe running on Audiolinux ---> NAA ---> USB Denafrips DAC

HQPe is the trial version (my license is tied to the NUC which is the NAA now). the NAA is discoverable, any ideas what could be happening?

I get the no suitable output rate from the log like if the DAC is not supported but it is detected, there is a driver, even Roon can play to it with no issues. and the NAA is online. 

NAA log

sh: /etc/networkaudiod/onconnected: No such file or directory
[networkaudiod] (903): Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - USB HiRes Audio: USB Audio
[networkaudiod] (903): begin disconnection
[networkaudiod] (903): ALSA backend uninitialized
sh: /etc/networkaudiod/ondisconnected: No such file or directory
[networkaudiod] (903): disconnected [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:52332
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:47307
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:47307
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:38693
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:38693

HQPe Log

+ 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Control connection from 127.0.0.1:47682
+ 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Control started from 127.0.0.1:47682
& 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Stop...
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playlist clear
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playlist add URI: http://127.0.0.1:9102/079609b0ce7043c7805823ba8b26abc7/stream.raw
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Play
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
+ 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playback engine running
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 No suitable output rate for 96000, stop
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Stop request (tail)
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Stop...
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Parallel threads: 4
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Nested parallelism: 4
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Parallel pipelines: 4
- 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Network engine stopping...
- 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playback engine stopped
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 ...stopped
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Set volume: -8

Cross posted from the HQPlayer4 EC Modulators Tips & Tricks thread.

I have had great success with full EC DSD256 on HQP Desktop on both Windows & Linux, and with HQP Embedded on LInux Server. But on the same i7-9700K server, HQP OS stutters with even lighter EC DSD256 settings.

On the few computers I've tried lately, HQP OS has not performed as well as the other configurations, although it's very easy to use and it sounds great when used within its limitations. I'm puzzled as to what I could be doing wrong because the OS is already configured. 

Has anybody gotten PCM 24-192 => ASDM7EC x DSD256 x 48 working on HQP OS?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

58 minutes ago, k6davis said:

Cross posted from the HQPlayer4 EC Modulators Tips & Tricks thread.

I have had great success with full EC DSD256 on HQP Desktop on both Windows & Linux, and with HQP Embedded on LInux Server. But on the same i7-9700K server, HQP OS stutters with even lighter EC DSD256 settings.

On the few computers I've tried lately, HQP OS has not performed as well as the other configurations, although it's very easy to use and it sounds great when used within its limitations. I'm puzzled as to what I could be doing wrong because the OS is already configured. 

Has anybody gotten PCM 24-192 => ASDM7EC x DSD256 x 48 working on HQP OS?

Maybe because HQP OS doesn’t do multi core?

I can’t get PCM 24-192 => ASDM7EC x DSD256 x 48 working on HQP OS with my overclocked (4.7 ghz) 6700k, but it's fine with HQP desktop. But then it’s not a direct comparison with your setup as I have CUDA offload to a GTX 1080 on Desktop (which is also not possible on HQP OS). 

12 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Maybe because HQP OS doesn’t do multi core?

I can’t get PCM 24-192 => ASDM7EC x DSD256 x 48 working on HQP OS with my overclocked (4.7 ghz) 6700k, but it's fine with HQP desktop. But then it’s not a direct comparison with your setup as I have CUDA offload to a GTX 1080 on Desktop (which is also not possible on HQP OS). 

I think I get what you mean, but it does do mulitcore. There's no option to control it the web interface, but you can change it manually in the configuration files. Besides, the default setting, "Auto", is the one I would choose anyway. 

So, I don't think that is the issue. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

26 minutes ago, k6davis said:

I think I get what you mean, but it does do mulitcore. There's no option to control it the web interface, but you can change it manually in the configuration files. Besides, the default setting, "Auto", is the one I would choose anyway. 

So, I don't think that is the issue. 

Okay, I’m a bit confused, I thought that was true for Embedded (you could enable and adjust multi core and CUDA in configuration files) but not for HQP OS; but maybe that’s only the case for CUDA.

27 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Okay, I’m a bit confused, I thought that was true for Embedded (you could enable and adjust multi core and CUDA in configuration files) but not for HQP OS; but maybe that’s only the case for CUDA.

You can adjust both Cuda and Multicore in HQP Embedded editing the configuration file.

HQP OS doesn't support Cuda at all, but you can adjust Multicore in HQP OS by editing the configuration file.

I'm getting close to setting up SW on my new PC.

Is there any advantage to running HQP OS vs running Debian Server with HQP Embedded?

My plan is to run this headless on a dedicated machine.  May be running minimserver or rygel on this machine too, if I need them.

I know HQP OS would be easier to get going, wondering if that is the only benefit?

As an aside, I was going to use Ubuntu Server, but did a little research this weekend and decided I'd try Debian Server.  It is supposed to be less user friendly,  but also faster because there is fewer bells and whistles.

Since this is a dedicated machine, once it's setup I don't expect to make many changes to it.

Thanks

Randy

41 minutes ago, k6davis said:

You can adjust both Cuda and Multicore in HQP Embedded editing the configuration file.

HQP OS doesn't support Cuda at all, but you can adjust Multicore in HQP OS by editing the configuration file.

Thanks. Just to be clear: if you don't adjust Multicore in Embedded or HQO OS, then it is automatically set at Auto (like greyed out in Desktop)?

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. Just to be clear: if you don't adjust Multicore in Embedded or HQO OS, then it is automatically set at Auto (like greyed out in Desktop)?

Yes

1 hour ago, randytsuch said:

I'm getting close to setting up SW on my new PC.

Is there any advantage to running HQP OS vs running Debian Server with HQP Embedded?

My plan is to run this headless on a dedicated machine.  May be running minimserver or rygel on this machine too, if I need them.

I know HQP OS would be easier to get going, wondering if that is the only benefit?

As an aside, I was going to use Ubuntu Server, but did a little research this weekend and decided I'd try Debian Server.  It is supposed to be less user friendly,  but also faster because there is fewer bells and whistles.

Since this is a dedicated machine, once it's setup I don't expect to make many changes to it.

Thanks

Randy

HQP OS is already optimized, great sounding and crazy easy to use. You boot from the USB stick and it's ready to go. It's also the best for running headless - with its web browser interface, which you can access from any other device on the network.

Downsides are that it doesn't support Cuda (if you need Cuda) and that there are multiple reports that it has inferior EC performance (if you plan to use that). I'm hoping @Miska can work with us on the EC thing. If so, I'll probably switch back to HQP OS myself.

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

HQP OS is already optimized, great sounding and crazy easy to use. You boot from the USB stick and it's ready to go. It's also the best for running headless - with its web browser interface, which you can access from any other device on the network.

Downsides are that it doesn't support Cuda (if you need Cuda) and that there are multiple reports that it has inferior EC performance (if you plan to use that). I'm hoping @Miska can work with us on the EC thing. If so, I'll probably switch back to HQP OS myself.

Thanks for the answer

I want to try EC, so am worried about what you previously said:

So for now, I guess its HQP Embedded with Server running headless.

2 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

Thanks for the answer

I want to try EC, so am worried about what you previously said:

So for now, I guess its HQP Embedded with Server running headless.

Makes sense.

I'd just add that I'm going to keep an eye on HQP OS. After all of the effort and learning and expense I put into optimizing a server for HQP, ultimately all I needed to do was boot from a USB stick. If we're able to get past the EC issues, it would certainly be worth a look.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is now experimental HQPlayer OS image version 4.11.2 that contains quite a bunch of optimizations and changes in HQPlayer. Not yet all the optimizations, but some. Feedback how it performs compared to 4.11.1 is welcome!

CUDA Support? Had to be first to ask 🤣

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is now experimental HQPlayer OS image version 4.11.2 that contains quite a bunch of optimizations and changes in HQPlayer. Not yet all the optimizations, but some. Feedback how it performs compared to 4.11.1 is welcome!

Were do we find experimental 4.11.2 ?

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Were do we find experimental 4.11.2 ?

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

I've got the new experimental 4.11.2 version of HQP OS up and running. The results are interesting.

Firstly, there is a huge EC performance improvement over version 4.11.1.

Second, the sound is fantastic. I think it's the best sounding of all the ways to listen to HQP. And it's certainly the easiest to set up to get great results.

And now for the bad news... 

• PCM any source rate => DSD5EC x DSD256 x 48 with poly-sinc-xtr 👍
  • PCM any source rate => ASDM7EC x DSD256 with poly-sinc-ext2 👎

To say it another way, I can do anything with DSD5EC x DSD256. I can do nothing with ADSM7EC x DSD256. Previously, I couldn't get any kind of EC DSD256 to work with HQP OS.

When I use any of the other versions of HQP, I can upsample anything short of EC DSD512. So, in my rig, HQP OS sounds great and its EC capabilities are improved, but they still lag behind HQP Desktop and HQP Embedded.

DSD5EC is actually my preferred modulator, so if these results hold, I'm likely to keep using HQP OS as is for now.