IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

about the SQ :

woke up, was happy to find 4.12 but had to fiddle a bit with Audirvana interface, network pairing etc : worked but nothing to rejoice about regarding SQ did I think

had the naa issue, etched a new stick with latest NAA image, expected a temporary loss in SQ for my UP had been down a moment, played a different track than the first one but had the definite impression it never had sounded that good

My mind, my waking up process or is it the new HQP OS on the NAA and/or the combination of both new Embedded and NAA ?

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Miska any ideas. Worked fine with previous version ?

I think I found the issue. Timing problem at playback start that seems to happen only with Windows NAA... I have now built a 4.12.1 OS image and Ubuntu package with change that hopefully fixes this. But since it's a timing problem it is hard to be 100% sure, please let me know if 4.12.1 still makes NAA bail out! At least I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. I'll shortly update the other packages as well.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

49 minutes ago, Miska said:

I think I found the issue. Timing problem at playback start that seems to happen only with Windows NAA... I have now built a 4.12.1 OS image and Ubuntu package with change that hopefully fixes this. But since it's a timing problem it is hard to be 100% sure, please let me know if 4.12.1 still makes NAA bail out! At least I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. I'll shortly update the other packages as well.

I use Windows NAA. 4.12 didn't work for me at all. 4.12.1 is working perfectly so far and suspect it will continue to.

Thanks Miska.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Working so far with latest release

sorry to report it's a total mess now (4.12.1 and 3.6)

boots and starts OK but if I want to relaunch a same track (to compare the new long filters) from Audirvana it crashes

there seems to be all kind of causes/issues ; last but not least Embedded seemed offline, could not access it from the web browser (the machine is ethernet hard wired), not sure but I think also read (very fast while it was closing) that it could not find some hdmi something audio device while of course the settings aim for naa TEAC 501

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I use 4.12.1 (as HQP PC) and 4.12.1 (as NAA).

The images in both computers are identical, of course. In the NAA USB, I edit the /etc/hostname file so that its host name is "naa". That way, the two computers have different names on the network.

I started doing this because I liked the sound better. I can't think of a reason why it should make any difference sonically, and that may have been in my head, but anyway, that combo is fully functional for me. It may work for you too. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

8 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

boots and starts OK but if I want to relaunch a same track (to compare the new long filters) from Audirvana it crashes

there seems to be all kind of causes/issues ; last but not least Embedded seemed offline, could not access it from the web browser (the machine is ethernet hard wired), not sure but I think also read (very fast while it was closing) that it could not find some hdmi something audio device while of course the settings aim for naa TEAC 501

What is crashing?

I've used this combination quite a lot with mconnect Player for Tidal without any issues.

All the audio devices you have are enumerated, so if you have for example HDMI that is enumerated as well. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to give you a list where to select the audio device...

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

What is crashing?

I've used this combination quite a lot with mconnect Player for Tidal without any issues.

I have etched anew (thus new ip address btw if it was a network problem)

still a mess ; btw I moved to 12.1 in the first place because issue seemed to have occurred after I rebooted several times Embedded (remember I am waiting for Black Friday). Maybe doing so corrupts something on the NAA side ; a hypothesis would then be that the repetition of bindings raises the chances that a bad binding (+ corruption maybe) occurs

NAA worked fine with Desktop though...

HERE IS THE SCENARIO

everything starts fine

hmm nice with ext2, how will it be with the new long filter?

I stop from Main (web interface) change the filter go back to Audirvana,

nothing happens and if I insist it starts to play through the MBAir's speakers and connection to Embedded is lost

The web interface becomes irresponsive

I go see the MBP running Embedded and here what I see :

IMG_0344.JPG

4 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

everything starts fine

hmm nice with ext2, how will it be with the new long filter?

I stop from Main (web interface) change the filter go back to Audirvana,

nothing happens and if I insist it starts to play through the MBAir's speakers and connection to Embedded is lost

OK, I did some testing with latest Audirvana.

Your problem is likely that you go to /config page to change filter. After you apply the settings, hqplayerd restarts itself, meaning that it disappears from UPnP and comes back a second later. Audirvana seems to be very lazy to rescan for UPnP devices, you need to restart Audirvana to get it show HQPlayer again. While for example on mconnect Player you can just press the rescan-button on the "Play To" tab and HQPlayer is refreshed there immediately (otherwise you may get "invalid file location" error). So this is a problem in Audirvana...

If you want to change filters for testing, do it from the front page of HQPlayer, this is intended for the purpose and doesn't make HQPlayer restart or anything. Just stop the playback first from the place where you initially started it, like Audirvana.

11 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I go see the MBP running Embedded and here what I see :

IMG_0344.JPG

Apart from CPU running very hot, nothing to worry about.

By the way, if you play from a Mac, you can more easily change the filters using HQPlayer Client instead of the web interface. Then you don't need to manually figure out the IP address first. Or you can use it just for figuring out the IP without going to the HQPlayer Embedded machine.

59 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK, I did some testing with latest Audirvana.

Your problem is likely that you go to /config page to change filter. After you apply the settings, hqplayerd restarts itself, meaning that it disappears from UPnP and comes back a second later. Audirvana seems to be very lazy to rescan for UPnP devices, you need to restart Audirvana to get it show HQPlayer again. While for example on mconnect Player you can just press the rescan-button on the "Play To" tab and HQPlayer is refreshed there immediately (otherwise you may get "invalid file location" error). So this is a problem in Audirvana...

If you want to change filters for testing, do it from the front page of HQPlayer, this is intended for the purpose and doesn't make HQPlayer restart or anything. Just stop the playback first from the place where you initially started it, like Audirvana.

Apart from CPU running very hot, nothing to worry about.

I'm totally stuck

no Audirvana involved

still the "couldn't bind with audio component message"

And I changed filters from the front page

and though stopping from Audirvana first sounds like good practice, I never had issues stopping from the front page with previous Embedded versions

tried to edit /etc/hosts on one of my sticks to no success

btw it should not be necessary : refreshing the config page I could choose hqplayer:TEAC501 as output and can't see why it would not work. Well actually it did not

gonna try to revert to 4.12.0 and 3.6.0 but had issues as well, just not as bad, just had to press stop for a track that would not start in Audirvana and repress Play : not great but was good ol' times compared to 4.12.1....

46 minutes ago, acatala said:

Hi,  I have noticed that the new version of HQPlayer Embedded 4.12.x for Debian is published in the buster directory and not in the stretch. Can I use it on a Debian 9 stretch machine?

I don't think it works on Stretch. I was thinking to drop stretch support in favor of buster. I have now built 4.12.1 for stretch too, it is now up on the server. Along with fc25 build it is now one that I have not tested, those are just builds.

I have upgraded my Debian servers to buster, I would recommend considering that. Potential problems are possibly along network configuration during bootup if DHCP is used, I have static IPs for servers and I have not experienced any problems.

37 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

still the "couldn't bind with audio component message"

Just ignore that, it is just a message from kernel audio codec auto-configuration for the built-in audio hardware.

And I changed filters from the front page

and though stopping from Audirvana first sounds like good practice, I never had issues stopping from the front page with previous Embedded versions

No changes on that front, but generally it is better to avoid creating confusing situations for UPnP control points.

tried to edit /etc/hosts on one of my sticks to no success

Why? Maybe /etc/hostname instead?

btw it should not be necessary : refreshing the config page I could choose hqplayer:TEAC501 as output and can't see why it would not work. Well actually it did not

If you run two HQPlayer OS images in the same network and want to use NAA functionality, rename one of the NAAs. Otherwise HQPlayer gets confused because there are two NAAs with the same name (one running on the same machine, and a remote one). NAA image has name "naa" by default.

So you can either change the hostname in /etc/hostname and reboot.

AND/OR

Edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and add there a line like:

NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="Livingroom"

And then restart networkaudiod with "systemctl restart networkaudiod".

OR

You can disable networkaudiod on the machine used for HQPlayer by doing

systemctl stop networkaudiod
systemctl disable networkaudiod

Likewise you can disable hqplayerd on the machine used for NAA by doing

systemctl stop hqplayerd
systemctl disable hqplayerd

This avoids similar confusion with HQPlayer Client auto-discovery where it finds two HQPlayer's with the same name. You can also instead rename the other one from the /config page to avoid this confusion - that way you can run multiple HQPlayer instances.

Note! HQPlayer name also affects how it appears on UPnP. If you have two HQPlayer instances running with the same name, control points likely get equally confused!

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I don't think it works on Stretch. I was thinking to drop stretch support in favor of buster. I have now built 4.12.1 for stretch too, it is now up on the server. Along with fc25 build it is now one that I have not tested, those are just builds.

I have upgraded my Debian servers to buster, I would recommend considering that. Potential problems are possibly along network configuration during bootup if DHCP is used, I have static IPs for servers and I have not experienced any problems.

I will upgrade my Intel NUC. It should be easy to upgrade because I kept it with very few packages.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Just ignore that, it is just a message from kernel audio codec auto-configuration for the built-in audio hardware.

No changes on that front, but generally it is better to avoid creating confusing situations for UPnP control points.

Why? Maybe /etc/hostname instead?

If you run two HQPlayer OS images in the same network and want to use NAA functionality, rename one of the NAAs. Otherwise HQPlayer gets confused because there are two NAAs with the same name (one running on the same machine, and a remote one). NAA image has name "naa" by default.

So you can either change the hostname in /etc/hostname and reboot.

AND/OR

Edit /etc/default/networkaudiod and add there a line like:

NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="Livingroom"

And then restart networkaudiod with "systemctl restart networkaudiod".

OR

You can disable networkaudiod on the machine used for HQPlayer by doing

systemctl stop networkaudiod
systemctl disable networkaudiod

Likewise you can disable hqplayerd on the machine used for NAA by doing

systemctl stop hqplayerd
systemctl disable hqplayerd

This avoids similar confusion with HQPlayer Client auto-discovery where it finds two HQPlayer's with the same name. You can also instead rename the other one from the /config page to avoid this confusion - that way you can run multiple HQPlayer instances.

Note! HQPlayer name also affects how it appears on UPnP. If you have two HQPlayer instances running with the same name, control points likely get equally confused!

Thank you. But first : is it worth it to follow K6davis' recommendation to use 4.12. (1) for both naa and processing machines?

There seems to be no issue with 3.6.0 that works just fine with D4Windows

And with 4.12.0 as well it seems

I now recall I first played with 4.12 with MCH files, thus directly plugged in the Embedded machine, no Audirvana involved

seems your suggested trick to play with filters via Client rather than via web frontpage doesn't create panics

so, last time I checked,  I could play music with 3.6.0 run on NAA machine and 4.12.0 on the processing machine, switch filters via Client and still launch from Audirvana...

Good. I had stutters and "crack" noises with combination that worked fine before but probably it's because machine got hotter and more confused than usual...

I guess I can live with that and that you can wait for further reports but I can't help but stressing that 4.12.x is not a smooth upgrade here

8 hours ago, Miska said:

I have upgraded Debian Stretch to Debian Buster in the NUC. After that, I have updated HQPlayer Embedded to 4.12.1.

After the upgrade Roon didn't play with HQPlayer but it did to a DigiOne with RoPIee (my backup transport). I have restarted hqplayerd and it worked. I don't know what happened to it because it seemed it was working well, systemctl status hqplayerd didn't show anything wrong.

The main issue is that, the fingerprint has changed. I guess due to the Debian upgrade, the hardware is the same NUC. I guess I will need a new key.  I will send the new fingerprint to your e-mail.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

There seems to be no issue with 3.6.0 that works just fine with D4Windows

And with 4.12.0 as well it seems

If 4.12.0 works fine for you, you can keep using it. Only change in 4.12.1 is fix for a potential race condition when starting playback with NAA that seems to mostly appear with Windows based NAAs. Otherwise it is identical.

If you make any change to your NAA side at the same time you upgrade HQPlayer side, or make any setting change anywhere at the same time, and have a problem, it is impossible to say which change is reason for the problem. So always change only one thing at a time

HQPlayer 4 Desktop is not yet updated with the same features as current Embedded is, but will be in next release. If you compare HQPlayer OS image to HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows, you need to note that HQPlayer OS is running both HQPlayer and NAA simultaneously. And that all instances of the image you boot by default will have same name for UPnP Renderer and NAA endpoint. Of course HQPlayer 4 Desktop doesn't have UPnP Renderer in first place, so that part cannot be compared at all.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:33 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

it starts ok but as soon as I play with filters, relaunch tracks, etc, it crashes. Not only Audirvana does lose pairing but the web interface loses 4.12.X as well !

If you can provide details how to make HQPlayer crash that I can reproduce, I'm happy to fix. In previous case when you said it crashes, it was Audirvana not rediscovering restarted HQPlayer instance and nothing crashing. And that respect has not changes at any point, it has always been the same way.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:33 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Whatever you did (buffer...) before please implement it anew Audirvana as library management is so cool ! 

What I've tested, it is working fine, apart from Audirvana bug regarding rediscovery of restarted renderer instance.

I can change filters from the front page, or from HQPlayer Client and restart playback in Audirvana and it is working fine.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Thank you. But first : is it worth it to follow K6davis' recommendation to use 4.12. (1) for both naa and processing machines?

You can do either way, but if you use HQPlayer OS image for both machines, you need to make sure that you are either not running both hqplayerd and networkaudiod on both machines, or if you are, you need to rename one of the instances of each so that you don't have a duplicate name on two separate machines. Or you will have problems.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can do either way, but if you use HQPlayer OS image for both machines, you need to make sure that you are either not running both hqplayerd and networkaudiod on both machines, or if you are, you need to rename one of the instances of each so that you don't have a duplicate name on two separate machines. Or you will have problems.

How do you rename instance of HQP OS on one of the machines?

16 minutes ago, craighartley said:

How do you rename instance of HQP OS on one of the machines?

There are two names in play:

1. Name of HQPlayer instance (towards HQPlayer Client and UPnP Control Points)
  2. Name of NAA instance (towards HQPlayer)

The name HQPlayer/NAA represents in discovery is by default based on hostname. This can be changed by modifying /etc/hostname and rebooting. You can override NAA name through NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME environment variable (see my posting above) with something nice, this applies to all NAA platforms (Windows and macOS too).

The name HQPlayer represents over to UPnP instances can be configured on /config page in HQPlayer Embedded.

By default, HQPlayer OS image has hostname "hqplayer" (and depending on your router, you may be able to do like "http://hqplayer:8088/" from your browser) and UPnP name "HQPlayer". While NAA image has hostname "naa" and cannot be changed easily (because due to demand it boots to RAM with read-only compressed root filesystem that is hard to modify).

1 hour ago, Miska said:

There are two names in play:

1. Name of HQPlayer instance (towards HQPlayer Client and UPnP Control Points)
  2. Name of NAA instance (towards HQPlayer)

The name HQPlayer/NAA represents in discovery is by default based on hostname. This can be changed by modifying /etc/hostname and rebooting. You can override NAA name through NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME environment variable (see my posting above) with something nice, this applies to all NAA platforms (Windows and macOS too).

The name HQPlayer represents over to UPnP instances can be configured on /config page in HQPlayer Embedded.

By default, HQPlayer OS image has hostname "hqplayer" (and depending on your router, you may be able to do like "http://hqplayer:8088/" from your browser) and UPnP name "HQPlayer". While NAA image has hostname "naa" and cannot be changed easily (because due to demand it boots to RAM with read-only compressed root filesystem that is hard to modify).

Sorry for another naive question, but if I change hostname from ‘hqplayer’ does that also change the ‘Username’ (also ‘hqplayer’) in Web Browser? And if not, is there also a way to change Username? I’m talking specifically about using HQPlayer OS boot image. 

5 hours ago, Miska said:

If 4.12.0 works fine for you, you can keep using it. Only change in 4.12.1 is fix for a potential race condition when starting playback with NAA that seems to mostly appear with Windows based NAAs. Otherwise it is identical.

If you make any change to your NAA side at the same time you upgrade HQPlayer side, or make any setting change anywhere at the same time, and have a problem, it is impossible to say which change is reason for the problem. So always change only one thing at a time

HQPlayer 4 Desktop is not yet updated with the same features as current Embedded is, but will be in next release. If you compare HQPlayer OS image to HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows, you need to note that HQPlayer OS is running both HQPlayer and NAA simultaneously. And that all instances of the image you boot by default will have same name for UPnP Renderer and NAA endpoint. Of course HQPlayer 4 Desktop doesn't have UPnP Renderer in first place, so that part cannot be compared at all.

If you can provide details how to make HQPlayer crash that I can reproduce, I'm happy to fix. In previous case when you said it crashes, it was Audirvana not rediscovering restarted HQPlayer instance and nothing crashing. And that respect has not changes at any point, it has always been the same way.

What I've tested, it is working fine, apart from Audirvana bug regarding rediscovery of restarted renderer instance.

I can change filters from the front page, or from HQPlayer Client and restart playback in Audirvana and it is working fine.

4.12.0 does not work for me in the long run (starts OK but crashes as soon as I try to compare filters) ; I'm back to 4.11.2

I described scenario in full length yesterday ; you answered faster that light, and this time it might not be nice for the testing might not have been thorough : you've been prompt in blaming Audirvana but Audirvana works great with 4.11.2.

4.12.X has broken something you can fix not Audirvana. And even if there's a fault in Audirvana, you had implemented a trick in 4.11.2 to circumvent it that you might have forgotten to do in 4.12.X

Plus, as I've already stressed, when Audirvana loses pairing to Embedded, the Web interface stops working as well, it behaves just as if the ip address was not correct any longer. But it is and if I reboot, I use the same ip address