IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Sorry, but I cannot view HEIC files... :)

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

probably abandoning HQPe+Ubuntu for the time being, and going back to the embedded HQPOS image on a bootstick as that plays without problems in the same system

It exists for the reason that it is both optimized and easy to setup. If you don't specifically need something from the regular Linux distributions, you are likely better off with the HQPlayer OS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

39 minutes ago, Miska said:

Sorry, but I cannot view HEIC files... :)

It exists for the reason that it is both optimized and easy to setup. If you don't specifically need something from the regular Linux distributions, you are likely better off with the HQPlayer OS.

Here it is again. (I don’t know why it turned into a HEIC file when I included it last time). 

61EF8BF0-41DC-4DAF-B764-442ABF3694CD.jpeg

5 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Here it is again. (I don’t know why it turned into a HEIC file when I included it last time). 

That is generally not problem, but may turn out to be a problem for using DKMS modules, such as Nvidia driver. It needs some manual work to fix. It is a bug in Ubuntu's kernel packaging tool. But otherwise it doesn't affect operation, so not related to sound/no sound kind of cases.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That is generally not problem, but may turn out to be a problem for using DKMS modules, such as Nvidia driver. It needs some manual work to fix. It is a bug in Ubuntu's kernel packaging tool. But otherwise it doesn't affect operation, so not related to sound/no sound kind of cases.

Thanks for explaining that. 

In relation to HQPlayer OS, does amount and speed of memory make much difference to the performance?

2 minutes ago, craighartley said:

In relation to HQPlayer OS, does amount and speed of memory make much difference to the performance?

You don't need much RAM, but for HQPlayer in general, speed is important, and also latency.

Latency is function of frequency and number of clock cycles to wait, there's a good table about memory speeds in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

See the last three columns.

My fastest server has now DDR4-2666 with CL12.

24 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Another ? .When I was trialing HQPlayer O/S on my asus motherboard i was getting error code 00.The code says not used.Also when i was trialing had to go back into my bios to correct time and date.Everything works as supposed to when running O/S  ?

At which stage you are getting the error?

If it's failing to begin the bootup procedure, note that the OS requires EFI boot (instead of Legacy), but won't work with secure boot enforcement based on Microsoft keys. So usually in BIOS settings you get this if you select "OS Type" as "Other" instead of WHQL 10 or similar, and enable EFI boot (usually default or only supported one these days).

Enjoying the latest version of hqplayer embedded - quick question on the license- I know the embedded license is linked to the hardware key - is it possible to transfer the license to another nuc if some for some reason a new machine was needed?  I was thinking of using my current nuc for Roon and getting another for hq player so just wondering . . Tried looking for a quick answer but no luck. 

thanks - cheers!

5 hours ago, Spindrift1414 said:

Enjoying the latest version of hqplayer embedded - quick question on the license- I know the embedded license is linked to the hardware key - is it possible to transfer the license to another nuc if some for some reason a new machine was needed?  I was thinking of using my current nuc for Roon and getting another for hq player so just wondering . . Tried looking for a quick answer but no luck. 

Yes, about 1 - 2 transfers per year is fine. Just send me email with a new hardware fingerprint.

6 hours ago, Spindrift1414 said:

I was thinking of using my current nuc for Roon and getting another for hq player so just wondering .

I almost did this but ended up selling the NUC and built a 9900K machine that runs both HQP Embedded and Roon Server.

The big bump in CPU power can open up a lot of extra fun to try, that the current NUC’s can’t do, especially with upsampling to DSD256 with new EC modulators.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

You don't need much RAM, but for HQPlayer in general, speed is important, and also latency.

Latency is function of frequency and number of clock cycles to wait, there's a good table about memory speeds in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

See the last three columns.

My fastest server has now DDR4-2666 with CL12.

So, for use with HQPlayer, given two similar results in the last three columns in the table, would you give preference to the one with lowest CL figure? Or is it only the figures in the last three columns that matter (in which case it becomes a choice between price levels)?

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

So, for use with HQPlayer, given two similar results in the last three columns in the table, would you give preference to the one with lowest CL figure? Or is it only the figures in the last three columns that matter (in which case it becomes a choice between price levels)?

I chose mine based on what memory clock CPU officially supports (see https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html), and then selected lowest possible CL. If you are OK to clock higher, it becomes more about selecting suitable price point and something you can run stable.

40 minutes ago, Miska said:

I chose mine based on what memory clock CPU officially supports (see https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html), and then selected lowest possible CL. If you are OK to clock higher, it becomes more about selecting suitable price point and something you can run stable.

Thank you. I’m having trouble finding DDR4-2666 with CL as low as 12; do you mind telling me exactly which model you have?

9 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Thank you. I’m having trouble finding DDR4-2666 with CL as low as 12; do you mind telling me exactly which model you have?

From Kingston...

https://www.hyperxgaming.com

More info here:

I'm not sure about the exact part number, it has basic profile and two XMP profiles. I'm using the XMP profile that is 2666 with CL12. The other one goes higher than 2666, with higher CL.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

From Kingston...

https://www.hyperxgaming.com

More info here:

I'm not sure about the exact part number, it has basic profile and two XMP profiles. I'm using the XMP profile that is 2666 with CL12. The other one goes higher than 2666, with higher CL.

Thanks. Strange though - the only XMP profile with CL12 I can now find on the Kingston site is for 2400, with alternative profile for 2666 with CL13.

5 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. Strange though - the only XMP profile with CL12 I can now find on the Kingston site is for 2400, with alternative profile for 2666 with CL13.

Yeah, they don't even state two XMP profiles. The one I have has two XMP profiles plus the basic one (three in total). But these things are constantly moving, what I have was some stock the local dealer had. Same with the i7-8086K CPU I got at the same time, last one from their stock (limited edition thing anyway). So these things are a bit tricky to get.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Miska said:

That may happen if you have unrelated drives connected to the computer. So other than the boot drive and media.

Looks like you've booted from SD-card. Those are standard ALSA test files. Either library or removable media has been pointed at some point plain /run /media folder which contains all mount points.

I will later add tools for mounting SMB shares.

You can already do that if install HQPlayer Embedded for example on Ubuntu Server 18.04, or minimal Fedora 29 (no GUI). But either way you'll need to get familiar working with Linux command line for such...

If you just want to use HQPlayer Embedded as a UPnP Renderer or from Roon, then it is much simpler.

You could just take the drive to another computer to do that. Or if you install HQPlayer Embedded on Ubuntu Server or Fedora Minimal (or minimal Debian 9), you can also share the drive through SMB.

You can

1. Load CD discs, assuming you have a CD drive
  2. Load thumb drives with media
  3. Play from analog and digital inputs, such as another computer or Google Chromecast Audio dongle

Just like library, inputs are also available for selection from HQPlayer Client.

Hi Jussi, 

Can HQPe play Audio CD ? 

We have DVD ROM attached, if can it is so great !

1 hour ago, maya said:

Can HQPe play Audio CD ? 

Yes it can, you may need to check the configured CD drive device node, but the default should work.

You need to select CD from the /input page first to read the contents, and then you can control playback from the front page. You can of course control this remote from the HQPlayer Client too.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes it can, you may need to check the configured CD drive device node, but the default should work.

You need to select CD from the /input page first to read the contents, and then you can control playback from the front page. You can of course control this remote from the HQPlayer Client too.

Tried failed to read the content of audio disk after choosing CD at input then go back to main ...

How to check the CD drive device name?  Tried wodim to show with failure....

My Debian fstab is as below

/dev/sr0  /media/cdrom0 udf, iso9660 user,noauto 0  0

Is audio disk an iso9660 disk?

As some "senior" audiophiles may have thousands or ten thousands audio cds it would be of great importance to use HQPe to enjoy their favorite audio cds ! 

Actually some of audiophile friends of mine are using HQPD to listen to CDs all along as the SQ is better than their expensive CD transport !

Hope can have a guide how to do this in future.

Many thanks !

1 hour ago, maya said:

Tried failed to read the content of audio disk after choosing CD at input then go back to main ...

How to check the CD drive device name?  Tried wodim to show with failure....

My Debian fstab is as below

/dev/sr0  /media/cdrom0 udf, iso9660 user,noauto 0  0

Is audio disk an iso9660 disk?

As some "senior" audiophiles may have thousands or ten thousands audio cds it would be of great importance to use HQPe to enjoy their favorite audio cds ! 

Actually some of audiophile friends of mine are using HQPD to listen to CDs all along as the SQ is better than their expensive CD transport !

Hope can have a guide how to do this in future.

Many thanks !

Tried to modify /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom0 in xml all in vain  😔