IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

Thanks for answering, but I’m afraid  that wouldn’t have helped. What I wanted to know was how to download direct from the Nvidia site using Ubuntu Server terminal. I spent half a day experimenting and failing to find a webpage and file address that would work with a ‘wget’ command. I finally gave up and downloaded the driver onto a MacBook and spent the rest of the day learning how to mount and copy it onto my Linux server (which last week was a Windows server) using a USB drive. 

I’m  finally up and running, but I still can’t assign a fixed IP address without losing my network connection, and I’d like to know how to auto sign-in on start-up so I can hide the Linux server away without keyboard etc. 

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Thanks for answering, but I’m afraid  that wouldn’t have helped. What I wanted to know was how to download direct from the Nvidia site using Ubuntu Server terminal. I spent half a day experimenting and failing to find a webpage and file address that would work with a ‘wget’ command. I finally gave up and downloaded the driver onto a MacBook and spent the rest of the day learning how to mount and copy it onto my Linux server (which last week was a Windows server) using a USB drive. 

I’m  finally up and running, but I still can’t assign a fixed IP address without losing my network connection, and I’d like to know how to auto sign-in on start-up so I can hide the Linux server away without keyboard etc. 

FWIW, I feel your pain, sound like what I would have gone through.

I use my router to assign a fixed IP address.  I think most decent routers can do this.  The router will use your PC's mac address, and always assign it the same IP, whatever one you give it.  So you make can make any change you want to your PC, including loading in an entirely new OS, and it will still get the same ip address.  After you make save the changes to your router, you might have to reset the PC for the PC to show up with the new fixed address.

I also keep a file where I record all the fixed ip addresses in my network, as well as other network information.  I've found that to be really handy to have sometimes, when you forget what you did 6 months ago.

20 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

FWIW, I feel your pain, sound like what I would have gone through.

I use my router to assign a fixed IP address.  I think most decent routers can do this.  The router will use your PC's mac address, and always assign it the same IP, whatever one you give it.  So you make can make any change you want to your PC, including loading in an entirely new OS, and it will still get the same ip address.  After you make save the changes to your router, you might have to reset the PC for the PC to show up with the new fixed address.

I also keep a file where I record all the fixed ip addresses in my network, as well as other network information.  I've found that to be really handy to have sometimes, when you forget what you did 6 months ago.

Thank you for that. I’ll have a look at the router’s settings tomorrow. 

16 hours ago, craighartley said:

You can find Ubuntu 18.04 packages here:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1804/x86_64/

Or you can create a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cuda.list and put this line there:

deb http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1804/x86_64 /

Then you can "apt update" and "apt install nvidia-driver-418", but unfortunately that likely pulls in lot of unnecessary extra...

So alternatively you can download the normal .run package from their website and install it through the script. You get the download link from the web page.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 hours ago, craighartley said:

Is there no equivalent in HQP Embedded for the CUDA auto (greyed) setting in Desktop?

Edit: Okay, I've answered my own question; I'd misunderstood that the Desktop greyed out setting is CUDA only for Convolution.

On Embedded, you can have "cuda" attribute in the hqplayerd.xml file set to "0", "1" or "convolution".

On 9/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, craighartley said:

Thanks. You’d have thought so, but I don’t seem to be able to find a link that works in a non-graphical interface.

You can start download on browser on some other computer, and check the link where it is downloading from.

Alternatively you can likely just download it using links or lynx text-mode browsers.

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can start download on browser on some other computer, and check the link where it is downloading from.

That’s what I was trying, but when I copied the address and tried to download I got an error message saying the file didn’t exist. I checked it scrupulously to no avail. 

The address contained a ’results’ or ‘results.aspx’ element; I  also tried omitting that in case it helped, but it didn’t. 

Anyway, transferring it on a USB stick worked, so I’ll leave off trying alternative (and simpler?) methods for now - until the next driver update is available. 

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

That’s what I was trying, but when I copied the address and tried to download I got an error message saying the file didn’t exist. I checked it scrupulously to no avail. 

The address contained a ’results’ or ‘results.aspx’ element; I  also tried omitting that in case it helped, but it didn’t. 

Anyway, transferring it on a USB stick worked, so I’ll leave off trying alternative (and simpler?) methods for now - until the next driver update is available. 

Ahh, OK.

For such situations I usually use "lynx" browser. In most cases it works fine, unless the web page is really complicated.

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thanks very much. I’ll have a look at Lynx browser. 

I did a quick view source and saw the following link when I picked Linux x64.  I am not 100% sure what "type=TITAN" impacts the drivers.  I will have to let folks who have used CUDA under Linux confirm.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/435.21/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run&lang=us&type=TITAN

HQPlayer Embedded build is now available for Debian 10 "buster". Plan is to eventually phase out support for Debian 9 "stretch".

It should be fairly straightforward to upgrade to buster now.

Note that the libgmpris package has been also rebuilt for Buster. So if you upgrade, remember to upgrade that too!

P.S. What I've quickly tested, the earlier stretch package also works on buster.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:32 AM, Miska said:

HQPlayer Embedded build is now available for Debian 10 "buster". Plan is to eventually phase out support for Debian 9 "stretch".

Note that the libgmpris package has been also rebuilt for Buster. So if you upgrade, remember to upgrade that too!

P.S. What I've quickly tested, the earlier stretch package also works on buster.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:32 AM, Miska said:

Hi Miska,

After upgrading to Buster and found no more  auto login and also not at the root directory after booting.

Please tell where to download the Buster version of HQPe

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, maya said:

After upgrading to Buster and found no more  auto login and also not at the root directory after booting.

Please tell where to download the Buster version of HQPe

Same place where all the other HQPlayer Embedded downloads are, under "buster" directory, if you follow links from my web page. I try to not post direct links on the forum for various reasons. If you don't find it, just drop me private message or email and I'll send a direct link.

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Miska said:

I find it unlikely that local storage would have much issues, unless Roon is busy scanning it. External USB discs sometimes can suffer from such, but unlikely SATA ones. You could try playing the content directly with HQPlayer without Roon and see if it makes any difference.

The only notable difference here is that 24-bit files are larger than 16-bit ones and thus increase storage traffic. I don't have other explanation...

Is Roon on the same computer or different one? IOW, is the content being sent over network or just through "localhost"? If it goes over network, then network issues are also a possibility (more data to send in this case).

Hi Miska, I downloaded the latest 2nd September release of hqplayer and this seems to run any bitrate to dsd256 using asdm7ec and closed form without a hitch. However 512 remains out of reach with dropouts at any EC filter. The same holds true for playback directly via hqplayer's built in player.  I even tried playing a few files from the c drive (Msata) with similar results.

Yes Roon is on the same machine and is not networked, as are the hdd's. All local so to speak.

Since things improved @256 with the latest build can we attribute the problem to hqplayer or is there something else afoot? Am I right to assume that my intel i7 gen 8 8700 processor is upto the task of doing dsd512@ EC filters or would I need cuda offloading?

Thanks

17 hours ago, Miska said:

Same place where all the other HQPlayer Embedded downloads are, under "buster" directory, if you follow links from my web page. I try to not post direct links on the forum for various reasons. If you don't find it, just drop me private message or email and I'll send a direct link.

Found thanks

Also solved auto login and root directory issues my HQPe can use NTFS HDD 

5 hours ago, Luvdac said:

Since things improved @256 with the latest build can we attribute the problem to hqplayer or is there something else afoot? Am I right to assume that my intel i7 gen 8 8700 processor is upto the task of doing dsd512@ EC filters or would I need cuda offloading?

I don't think you can currently buy any hardware that would be able to run EC modulators at DSD512 speed.

Since it is double the amount of computational effort compared to DSD256, it may take couple of years before that becomes possibility. It specifically requires individual cores to become 2x faster than current ones. Adding more cores won't help.

We have here at least one shop selling delidded and tested i9-9900K's that have been verified at 5.2 GHz clocks. Maybe I'll get one of those and see if it could do close to DSD512 with DSD5EC or ASDM5EC. Another approach would be to make a custom DAC that would have sample clocks  somewhere between current typical DSD256 and DSD512 clocks. For example 40 MHz.

19 hours ago, Miska said:

Tried  Buster 4.11.2-36 HQPe  cannot find NAA device if Alsa no NAA then can find the device 

Jussi & all, 

If I upgrade from existing desktop v3 license to desktop v4 & stay w/ my existing i7-6700k music server connected directly to my Gustard X20 DAC w/ USB cable... I need some guidance to upsample Spotify/ Tidal without Roon by utilizing Chromecast Audio (as you have mentioned in previous posts as an option). I would utilize Wi-Fi & stream Spotify/ Tidal from a Win 10 laptop to Chromecast connected to nearby music server ...

If I am understanding things correctly, since my music server Gigabyte ga-Z170N mobo does not have an optical input, can I connect to “line in” with a 3.5 mm cable from Chromecast Audio?  Or can I connect the Chromecast HDMI to the music server & utilize both audio/video from laptop source & call it a day (music server is connected to plasma tv with another HDMI port).

4 hours ago, brother love said:

If I am understanding things correctly, since my music server Gigabyte ga-Z170N mobo does not have an optical input, can I connect to “line in” with a 3.5 mm cable from Chromecast Audio?  Or can I connect the Chromecast HDMI to the music server & utilize both audio/video from laptop source & call it a day (music server is connected to plasma tv with another HDMI port).

I would strongly advice against using analog path because that will ruin sound quality (DAC in CCA is not that great). You would need some suitable audio device with optical input, to deal with mini-Toslink from Chromecast Audio to a computer.

Since Spotify is fixed 44.1k, it is quite straightforward. Tidal may be other rates as well, although vast majority is 44.1k (everything else except Masters). Point is that without a certain input device, you need to manually switch input sample rate.

For Linux, I have implemented quite a bunch of extra driver support to enable automatic switching of input sample rates with RME ADI-2 (Pro). But it is quite expensive input device if you don't need analog side for vinyl or similar. I haven't got them to support the adaptive ASIO input rate yet through their driver on Windows yet, but otherwise it should work.

Among the most inexpensive is miniDSP USBStreamer which works fine on Linux, but requires some amount of extra work to flash it with correct firmware variant (miniDSP provides multiple). I have to admit I have never tried it on Windows or macOS, so if someone else has, please chime in.

I do majority of my testing with RME ADI-2 Pro, and some with RME HDSPe AIO too. I also have Motu 8D but it is only feasible if you are OK with manual rate switching or use of only 44.1k input (Spotify for example).

5 hours ago, maya said:

Tried  Buster 4.11.2-36 HQPe  cannot find NAA device if Alsa no NAA then can find the device 

Sounds like some network configuration issue. Are you using DHCP or static IP?

Are you using graphical desktop on bare text console minimal/server? This makes a big difference because HQPlayer Embedded is started as a system service at boot time, while with graphical desktops network is configured only once you login through graphical desktop (because the configuration is stored per user). This means that HQPlayer Embedded is started way before the network is configured if you have a graphical desktop. HQPlayer Embedded is designed for minimal systems where there is absolutely nothing else than kernel and minimal init system (systemd) running, no graphical desktops or other such stuff. Graphical desktops usually use NetworkManager to deal with network configuration after login. While minimal server installations (headless) usually use something else to deal with network configuration during boot time.

If you are on DHCP, please try again after "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" once the machine is completely booted up.

7 hours ago, brother love said:

Jussi & all, 

If I upgrade from existing desktop v3 license to desktop v4 & stay w/ my existing i7-6700k music server connected directly to my Gustard X20 DAC w/ USB cable... I need some guidance to upsample Spotify/ Tidal without Roon by utilizing Chromecast Audio (as you have mentioned in previous posts as an option). I would utilize Wi-Fi & stream Spotify/ Tidal from a Win 10 laptop to Chromecast connected to nearby music server ...

If you use hqp embedded, you can stream tidal from an app controlling hqp.

mconnect works for ios and bubbleupnp works for android.

In mconnect, hqp shows up as a "play to" device.  You just have to select hqp and then setup tidal in the app and then you can play songs.  I was surprised how easy it was to get it working.

With the lite version, it doesn't remember the play to device so you have to do that every time.

The one annoying thing is I have to press play twice to get a song to play.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't think you can currently buy any hardware that would be able to run EC modulators at DSD512 speed.

Since it is double the amount of computational effort compared to DSD256, it may take couple of years before that becomes possibility. It specifically requires individual cores to become 2x faster than current ones. Adding more cores won't help.

We have here at least one shop selling delidded and tested i9-9900K's that have been verified at 5.2 GHz clocks. Maybe I'll get one of those and see if it could do close to DSD512 with DSD5EC or ASDM5EC. Another approach would be to make a custom DAC that would have sample clocks  somewhere between current typical DSD256 and DSD512 clocks. For example 40 MHz.

Look forward to your findings with the i9!

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Sounds like some network configuration issue. Are you using DHCP or static IP?

Are you using graphical desktop on bare text console minimal/server? This makes a big difference because HQPlayer Embedded is started as a system service at boot time, while with graphical desktops network is configured only once you login through graphical desktop (because the configuration is stored per user). This means that HQPlayer Embedded is started way before the network is configured if you have a graphical desktop. HQPlayer Embedded is designed for minimal systems where there is absolutely nothing else than kernel and minimal init system (systemd) running, no graphical desktops or other such stuff. Graphical desktops usually use NetworkManager to deal with network configuration after login. While minimal server installations (headless) usually use something else to deal with network configuration during boot time.

If you are on DHCP, please try again after "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" once the machine is completely booted up.

Thanks for your explanation

My  Debian Buster HQPe runing 4.11.1-31 has no graphic desktop , but having several kernels including the 5.2.10 rt  for testing.

Problem solved after click on ipv6 😊