IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

8 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

But my question was about the HQPe server, which send its data to an isolated endpoint running NAA.

Yes, I meant the audio endpoint. For Control PC (Server/NAS) I run a power supply Keces P8. For the Server would probably also be a good switching power supply sufficient. Unfortunately, these have the property of passing disturbances to their surroundings. Since my Server is in hi-fi rack is not acceptable for me. If the Server were in the basement, it would not be that important to me.

11 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I know how transfer of Embedded license works, but what about with Desktop?

Can Desktop license be transferred to new PC? Same procedure as Embedded?

There is no hardware fingerprint attached to normal Desktop license keys, so you just install the key on a new machine. You can delete it from the old machine using option from HQPlayer Help-menu.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 hours ago, Miska said:

No, the discount is not cross-product. So either one is fine for HQPlayer 4 Desktop upgrade (you  need just one for all three platforms), but not for HQPlayer 4 Embedded.

Okay thanks.If the discount was cross-product you would probable sell more licences.I like embedded but at $ 320.00 Canadian I will be sticking with HQPlayer 3 for know.

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Okay thanks.If the discount was cross-product you would probable sell more licences.I like embedded but at $ 320.00 Canadian I will be sticking with HQPlayer 3 for know.

Think of the list price being already extremely discount. What other audiophile gear can you get at similar prices? Not many DACs or anything else are as cheap. And not many of them spent 20 years developing their product.

Just now, Miska said:

Think of the list price being already extremely discount. What other audiophile gear can you get at similar prices? Not many DACs or anything else are as cheap. And not many of them spent 20 years developing their product.

I understand your point.HQPplayer is far superior to any other product.

I’ve been playing with some simple 2-channel convolution. On first run after boot-up, when initializing playback from Roon, I sometimes find only one channel plays. After stopping and restarting all is well. 

I suspect this is one of those system specific micro-timing issues but thought I would check if anyone else has experienced this. I see in the log when this happens, channel 1 initializes before 0. After stopping and restarting playback, the channel initialization order looks right. 

After installing some Ubuntu updates on the server I use for HQPlayerEmbedded,  I'm getting an error message when I play files in Roon: 'Playback failed because $ cannot connect to HQPlayer'. It worked fine before. It also still works fine playing from Roon to other (non HQP) devices on the network. I've tried using Roon on both a Mac Mini and a QNAP NAS - both of which setups worked fine in the past but both now give the same error message.

The Roon machine and the HQPe server are connected by Ethernet via an unmanaged switch.

to which the HQP naa is also connected.

HQPe doesn't show up in HQPlayer Client either, but it does show up in the web browser from where commands to change settings appear to be carried out successfully.

Can somebody help please?

9 minutes ago, craighartley said:

After installing some Ubuntu updates on the server I use for HQPlayerEmbedded,  I'm getting an error message when I play files in Roon: 'Playback failed because $ cannot connect to HQPlayer'. It worked fine before. It also still works fine playing from Roon to other (non HQP) devices on the network. I've tried using Roon on both a Mac Mini and a QNAP NAS - both of which setups worked fine in the past but both now give the same error message.

The Roon machine and the HQPe server are connected by Ethernet via an unmanaged switch.

to which the HQP naa is also connected.

HQPe doesn't show up in HQPlayer Client either, but it does show up in the web browser from where commands to change settings appear to be carried out successfully.

Can somebody help please?

Does the web browser land on front page, or on /config page? If it does land on front page, then it sounds like a networking issue. If it lands on /config page, then it sounds like problem accessing the DAC.

If HQPlayer fails to communicate with the DAC, control interfaces are disabled and web browser is redirected to the /config page.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, arglebargle said:

I’ve been playing with some simple 2-channel convolution. On first run after boot-up, when initializing playback from Roon, I sometimes find only one channel plays. After stopping and restarting all is well. 

I suspect this is one of those system specific micro-timing issues but thought I would check if anyone else has experienced this. I see in the log when this happens, channel 1 initializes before 0. After stopping and restarting playback, the channel initialization order looks right. 

This is with HQPlayer Embedded? Which OS is this? Which package version?

Initialization can finish in any order, but it shouldn't make a difference. This is likely specific to a particular build and maybe the OS version.

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does the web browser land on front page, or on /config page? If it does land on front page, then it sounds like a networking issue. If it lands on /config page, then it sounds like problem accessing the DAC.

If HQPlayer fails to communicate with the DAC, control interfaces are disabled and web browser is redirected to the /config page.

Thanks. The web browser goes straight to /config. So I've tried restarting DAC, naa, and HQPE, with no success.

The naa was your image for Cubox/Rendu on a MicroRendu, which had been fine up til now. I tried going back to the Sonicorbiter software on the MicroRendu in place of the naa image (replacing the mini SD card) and have the same problem when HQPnaa is selected as the current app in the MicroRendu; BUT if I switch to the RoonReady app in the MicroRendu Roon finds it and plays to it immediately. If I go back to HQPnaa the same problem returns.

Any more suggestions please?

11 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. The web browser goes straight to /config. So I've tried restarting DAC, naa, and HQPE, with no success.

The naa was your image for Cubox/Rendu on a MicroRendu, which had been fine up til now. I tried going back to the Sonicorbiter software on the MicroRendu in place of the naa image (replacing the mini SD card) and have the same problem when HQPnaa is selected as the current app in the MicroRendu; BUT if I switch to the RoonReady app in the MicroRendu Roon finds it and plays to it immediately. If I go back to HQPnaa the same problem returns.

Any more suggestions please?

OK, so likely the NAA discovery fails. Please check with "ifconfig" that there are no other network interfaces up than one ethernet and "lo" (loopback adapter), nothing else. If there's more than one, likely discovery multicasts are going wrong way...

Since you are using HQPlayer Embedded, I'm assuming you are not using any graphical desktop but just plain text console server setup?

44 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK, so likely the NAA discovery fails. Please check with "ifconfig" that there are no other network interfaces up than one ethernet and "lo" (loopback adapter), nothing else. If there's more than one, likely discovery multicasts are going wrong way...

Since you are using HQPlayer Embedded, I'm assuming you are not using any graphical desktop but just plain text console server setup?

Yes just plain text console.

ifconfig

IMG_0705.thumb.jpeg.2858eb2b5ab35a0af8f8a6ee3d68d982.jpeg

end of log from Web Browser:

1835934280_Image24-09-2019at15_31.thumb.jpg.7915f23a171e829e4b5da75d76cd0c0d.jpg

11 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Yes just plain text console.

ifconfig

IMG_0705.thumb.jpeg.2858eb2b5ab35a0af8f8a6ee3d68d982.jpeg

end of log from Web Browser:

1835934280_Image24-09-2019at15_31.thumb.jpg.7915f23a171e829e4b5da75d76cd0c0d.jpg

OK, that's fine and NAA is found. But the line with exclamation mark near beginning is likely the problem. Possibly an issue with configuration file. You could try to reset the configuration if it is not too much trouble, by moving away or deleting /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml and then reinstalling the hqplayerd package. That restores the default configuration...

It is also possible that some configuration value from web browser is coming incorrectly and I'm missing some sanity check somewhere for such value. If it goes broken again, please use the backup functionality from web interface and send me the configuration file over email so I can check which part is wrong...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

OK, that's fine and NAA is found. But the line with exclamation mark near beginning is likely the problem. Possibly an issue with configuration file. You could try to reset the configuration if it is not too much trouble, by moving away or deleting /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml and then reinstalling the hqplayerd package. That restores the default configuration...

It is also possible that some configuration value from web browser is coming incorrectly and I'm missing some sanity check somewhere for such value. If it goes broken again, please use the backup functionality from web interface and send me the configuration file over email so I can check which part is wrong...

I've deleted that file; and reinstalled the latest HQPe (I was on .36 and now .36). Same result. Although I can't see an exclamation mark in the log page now.

Okay, if I click Backup in the web page it reloads the config page. What do I do now please?!

39 minutes ago, craighartley said:

I've deleted that file; and reinstalled the latest HQPe (I was on .36 and now .36). Same result. Although I can't see an exclamation mark in the log page now.

Okay, if I click Backup in the web page it reloads the config page. What do I do now please?!

Does it work to a locally connected DAC for example?

Are you on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS? I have two servers with latest updates and I have not seen any problems, so wondering what update could have caused such problem to appear. In my case, network configured through /etc/network/interfaces file with static IPv4 and IPv6 IPs.

You can also just scp the config file out of the server.

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does it work to a locally connected DAC for example?

Are you on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS? I have two servers with latest updates and I have not seen any problems, so wondering what update could have caused such problem to appear. In my case, network configured through /etc/network/interfaces file with static IPv4 and IPv6 IPs.

You can also just scp the config file out of the server.

Yes 18.04. I did also try to check the network setup at the same time so may have messed something up. I’m a Linux novice. What does scp do? 

4 hours ago, Miska said:

scp and sftp are both suitable for transferring files to/from another computer over network, they are part of ssh.

Thanks. But then I'm not sure what you are suggesting with scp in relation to the Network settings? 

I'll have a look again tomorrow, but I remember having trouble dealing with the /etc/network/interfaces file and was trying to alter Network settings with Netplan, but couldn't do that either. When I installed Ubuntu it set up the connection automatically with DHCP so I ended up just leaving it like that. Since then I've only tried to instigate Jumbo frames (but it's now back at the default 1500).

10 hours ago, Miska said:

This is with HQPlayer Embedded? Which OS is this? Which package version?

Initialization can finish in any order, but it shouldn't make a difference. This is likely specific to a particular build and maybe the OS version.

Thanks for the heads up, I was indeed a  few builds behind. This was 4.11.2 Build 33 on Ubuntu 18.04. After updating the OS and upgrading Embedded to build 36 all is working smoothly. 

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. But then I'm not sure what you are suggesting with scp in relation to the Network settings? 

I mean that if you cannot get the configuration file out through the web interface, you can also do it with scp/sftp.

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

I remember having trouble dealing with the /etc/network/interfaces file and was trying to alter Network settings with Netplan, but couldn't do that either. When I installed Ubuntu it set up the connection automatically with DHCP so I ended up just leaving it like that. Since then I've only tried to instigate Jumbo frames (but it's now back at the default 1500).

I have static IPv4/IPv6 in interfaces. I have not played with Netplan ever yet (hopefully it is not as horrid as NetworkManager). But one can probably switch to systemd-networkd if necessary.

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

Miska,

Does this signify anything specific that might be problematic?

! 2019/09/25 09:17:25 clPlayerDaemon::CreateEngine(): clHQPlayerEngine::Initialize(): clALSAEngine::Initialize(): snd_pcm_open(): No such file or directory

Yes, the configured audio device is not accessible...

Usually lines prefixed with '!' are fatal errors. And lines prefixed with '#' are warnings/problems. Lines with '?' are warnings/unexpected events. Prefixes ' ', '*', '+' and '-' are normal events.

I'd still like an answer to my previous question, as I can't fathom what I was doing wrong with installing HQPe, but I'm probably abandoning HQPe+Ubuntu for the time being, and going back to the embedded HQPOS image on a bootstick as that plays without problems in the same system.

My attempts to solve the connection problems by reinstalling Ubuntu and HQPe only made things worse: HQPlayer wouldn't appear on the web server at all.

Its no doubt due to my inexperience with Ubuntu server, but I've decided that CUDA offload is not much of an advantage in my system, and certainly not worth the hassle of dealing with Ubuntu server over just inserting the HDOS bootstick.