IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

@Miska I'm trying to authenticate HQP OS 4.11.2, but it won't take my key. 

Is that intentional because it's an experimental release?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

22 hours ago, Miska said:

There is now experimental HQPlayer OS image version 4.11.2 that contains quite a bunch of optimizations and changes in HQPlayer. Not yet all the optimizations, but some. Feedback how it performs compared to 4.11.1 is welcome!

kudos !

Usability seems on par with Desktop's (up to 192 OK mqa-mp/DSD5EC) and 5 minutes of DSD 64 source OK before crackling (rather than stuttering) 

SQ might be the best but I need to investigate further than a unique non definitive exemple : would qualify synths at the beginning of Nightclubbing (Iggy Pop) as creating a synthetic landscape vs simpler synth effects with Desktop but with weightier bass.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, asdf1000 said:

Hi @Miska

On one of my Embedded machines (i7-7700) I had PCM88kHz->DSD128 + ext2 + ASDM7EC working fine, before yesterday's hqplayerd_4.11.1-31_amd64.deb HQPe update.

But after yesterday's HQPe update I get some skipping.

I noticed one core is always high (~98%), reaching 100% sometimes.

Overall CPU loading (average) looks fine though.

This is running your custom kernel and headers (4.9.158-jl+_13_amd64.deb) on minimal Debian server.

image.png.948f30d9a5268ce748a228a8f72167f2.png

Hi @Miska

An update on the above.

After yesterday’s HQPe update, loading is significantly better. I rarely see a single core above 80% now !

13 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I'm trying HQPe 4.11.2.

HQPd with these settings goes smoothly

image.thumb.png.1148e0bed31880aa66d1cb26722c83d3.png

Hqpe with the same settings there are continuous interruptions

image.thumb.png.52e9e6959190bb2d7fc408f267e1400e.png

by htop it seems that only two cores are used

image.thumb.png.37a162b6edba0a581a02e4328857f99d.png

My CPU is an i7-2600K.

There are now new builds of HQPlayer Embedded available, Ubuntu/Debian build number 33 and build number 30 for Fedora.

Please try out the new build...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Some possibly odd behaviour with build 33. With multicore “1”  only 5/8 of cores are loaded on my 4790k. With multicore “auto” only the first 4. I haven’t used auto much in the past so I don’t know whether that is a normal load. This is Bionic with 5.0 kernel, with or without CUDA enabled. Playback itself is fine, DSD128 with EC modulators is easily doable at 192, great. 

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't see the multicore option

These options are not in the web interface, because they are supposed to be set by the hardware manufacturer (HQPlayer Embedded is designed for streamer firmware).

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

in the xml file is set to auto

OK, good.

Multicore tuning is getting quite complex for all the various cases and core counts. There's now new build 34 (31 for Fedora) with changes on how load distribution is handled on a quad core CPU. Please try. Here's how load figures now look for my old Xeon E5 with the same settings:

Screenshot_2019-08-25_11-05-57.png.fb19be73124743c424d9326e14a337b5.png

5 hours ago, luisma said:

I'm trying to figure out on Miska's @Miska HQP OS image where to add the following command to load at startup

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0b1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I tested it and works fine I just can't find the inittab or init.d locations / files

There's no init in many of the recent Linux distributions, it has been replaced with systemd (or some other equivalent). This is the case also with HQPlayer OS.

You can enable wpa_supplicant startup at boot with "systemctl enable wpa_supplicant". The service file itself is in standard location at /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service but you shouldn't need to edit it, only /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and maybe add a file in /etc/systemd/network

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

These options are not in the web interface, because they are supposed to be set by the hardware manufacturer (HQPlayer Embedded is designed for streamer firmware).

OK, good.

Multicore tuning is getting quite complex for all the various cases and core counts. There's now new build 34 (31 for Fedora) with changes on how load distribution is handled on a quad core CPU. Please try. Here's how load figures now look for my old Xeon E5 with the same settings:

Screenshot_2019-08-25_11-05-57.png.fb19be73124743c424d9326e14a337b5.png

Better now, there are no more interruptions

image.thumb.png.2e6731cb9273478fa9aeb479a7de7fbe.png

@Miska

I confirm that, IMO, compared to the latest iterations of D for W (and macOS), Embedded/HQPos (btw I confess I don't understand the concept of Embedded to be installed with x OS...) is back on top of the hierarchy

I know it's moot to discuss pricing options with you but I feel pretty uncomfortable : for weeks, Desktop, that was a little less good before EC was far better and I was happy I did not purchase Embedded. As long as it's on the same machine, I'd consider legit to be able to switch. Maybe things will settle with some maturation of EC....

I now believe Embedded/HQP OS will always end up being better but this raises optimisation questions 

I much prefer using D totally Wireless ;

Taking into account that I use NO metal terminated Ethernet cables as you recommend, should I aim to do the same with Embedded ? How big would be the SQ gap ? How do I do that ? 

About the music files location, I have been troubled (bias induced ?) by @Superdad's remark about Audirvana adding a flavour.

Trick of my mind or not I can consistently characterise it, especially when system optimisation is ON in Audirvana : with HDD directly attached sound is more mellow/comfy to listen to but too much so sometimes and think I 'll go Audirvana as front end as long as I have the Air on loan (at least 3 more weeks) : more air (pun intended) definition etc. 

I'm troubled because when I did all the comparisons with Desktop I always much preferred Wifi streaming to attached HDD, liked SD cards too, and did not like RAM Disks location for the music files.

Audirvana (that is wifi streaming to the poor 4Go RAM of the Air, going back to the switch ((Apple Time Capsule)) and then via Ethernet cable to HQPE) is not as ubiquitously preferred.

Can you please bring a technical perspective here ? eventually tell me how go wifi with E/HQPOS if it's worth it?

For the record, thanks to you I succeeded to attach a HDD to my ISP's box,  but some albums never showed up and I never understood why

So I spent the weekend installing different OS's on my new PC.

I couldn't install Debian Stretch on it, it complained it couldn't find the Ethernet interface.

If you google search this

debian 9 stretch ethernet not found installation e1000e module

I guess its a thing with the e1000e module.  I also had figured out that's what I need for the intel ethernet chip installed on my Gigabyte MB.  Its fixed in Debian Buster, but that doesn't help.

I could work at it, but decided to buy a cheap older ethernet card.  Should have it in a couple days and then will try again.

In the meantime, may try installing Fedora, and see if that works better.

6 hours ago, randytsuch said:

I could work at it, but decided to buy a cheap older ethernet card.  Should have it in a couple days and then will try again.

In the meantime, may try installing Fedora, and see if that works better.

Did you try Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Did you try Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?

Ubuntu has the same problem from what I can tell, and based on some searching.  It doesn't give me much information, but it won't install either.

And Ubuntu 10.04 server has a bug in its install, where if you don't have a network connection you can't install at all.  I think Debian might have the same bug, I can't figure out how to proceed with the install after the network driver install fails.

So waiting for a few days for my network card to come.

BTW, its even better.  There is also a problem with my wifi interface and linux.  It also needs a different driver, which I could fix if I had linux running with an ethernet connection lol

sh*tshow as my daughter would say.

39 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

So waiting for a few days for my network card to come.

One (last) thing to try while your network card comes:

Have you tried Jussi's USB bootable image (HQP OS). Burn it to a USB stick using something like Etcher. Boot from USB and that's your HQP server. It's all fully self contained, so nothing else to do (hopefully).

Download the latest one from here (August 2019 is latest):

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

Are you using Roon or something else?

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Have you tried Jussi's USB bootable image (HQP OS). Burn it to a USB stick using something like Etcher. Boot from USB and that's your HQP server. It's all fully self contained, so nothing else to do (hopefully).

@Miskait's now dated aug 25 th, I downloaded it the 23rd and the 21 st or 20th, all 4.11.2 . Are they nevertheless supposed to be different?

8 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

HQP OS works fine, but I wanted to be able to run headless and use a ssh console port and it doesn't support ssh.  I may play with hqp os until my network card comes, but I have other stuff to work on, need to make my naa now and connect the dac to it.

I don't have roon, planning to use bubbleupnp or the ios equivalent to control.  My music is on a drive attached to my router acting as a nas, and I use tidal.

EDIT

For anyone following along, details are

Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] driver: iwlwifi

Device-2: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Gigabyte driver: e1000e

Ubuntu 18.04 and debian stretch both appear to have problems with these, although I don't think I searched for all combinations, I know it didn't install.

Debian buster has newer drivers, and works for ethernet at least.  Likely newer ubuntu will also work.