1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I'd be very surprised if the lt3045s didn't improve the SQ of the devices powered by the JS-2 and PHynes supplies.

That would be very good to know.  If it will improve these power supplies, using something like Y-cable to split output currents among different devices would be a good ways to go.  Would be even better if the future LT3045 board will be designed with 4 LT3045 to increase total output current up to 2A, that will make it even more flexible.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

7 to 5 volts is working well here from an lps-1 feeding an USB card internal power  connector. There is a definite SQ benefit. @tapatrickwhat's the biggest voltage drop you've successfully used? I agree 9 to 5 is likely too far but then 9.5 to 7 to 5 should work fine, so it's a good use of serial lt3045s.

The lps-1 and Iso Regen both use linear technology LDOs internally.

I haven't tried grounding these LDOs and see no need to do so here as everything is lps powered except the PC motherboard which is galvanically isolated via all connections.

Larry and tapatrick, if you've already tried, what the incremental improvement by going 3 over two boards in series.  Other than specs of .04 to .02uv is all I've read/seen so far.

And I have a Teradak DW30 coming...how important is it to exchange the caps?  I have never done an exchange before.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

5 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Larry and tapatrick, if you've already tried, what the incremental improvement by going 3 over two boards in series.  Other than specs of .04 to .02uv is all I've read/seen so far.

Putting them in series is unlikely to improve noise figures to any worthwhile extent. (if at all)

Carefully matching their output voltages and putting them in parallel will further improve the noise level, as well as decrease their output impedance. At this already ULTRA low noise level, any further reduction in noise level is almost certainly overkill.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

15 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

I haven't tried this and so can't comment. I have no plans for more boards.

15 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

And I have a Teradak DW30 coming...how important is it to exchange the caps?  I have never done an exchange before.

Again, I have no idea.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Can someone provide a link to LT3045 regulator boards, and input/output connectors. I found one on ebay, but that shows output current to be only 0.5A.

How do you adjust the output voltage? Does each board drops the voltage by 1V, so two boards in series would drop the output voltage by 2V?

Note that the 1A version PCB has 2 parallel 500mA LT3045.

The voltage drop doesn't need to be 1V, it can be a couple of volts higher, provided it isn't drawing too much current and becoming too hot,  or say .5V which would be above it's minimum Voltage Regulation drop out voltage.

You need to state the required output voltage when ordering them. The output voltage is set by fixed resistors.

rlQVcO.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 hours ago, Forehaven said:

Accord to this:  https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-power-supplies-part3-smps-lps-supercap-battery-diy-route-new-devices-opens-up-new-options.822160/

Other possible caps I could have used that are excellent:
United Chem KZ (5000hr - 18mOhm, 2.7A) $1.00each
Pannasonic FM (7000hr - 15mOhm, 2.55A@120Hz) $1.40each

The DW30 I bought uses the FM's already so I think I'm good on capacitors...tapatrick?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

13 hours ago, Cornan said:

Now I cannot wait to get the LM317 into place as well. I got the parts today.

I was about to prepare myself this morning so I could put the LM317 pre my Aries Mini together right after work. *Sigh!* I did´nt remember that I have run out of screw terminal DC2.1/5.5mm jacks. ¬¬ I think I had roughly 15 pcs screw terminals in my drawer...but they´re all male plugs. Bummer! I just order new jacks today that will hopefully arrive before the weekend.  

Still no sign of the BluWave PCB or my special order Supra staruad XLRs for my speakers either. I guess it is grounding experiments on the menue tonight. :) 

Here is my initial plans:

1. Try to ground the Aqvox switch GND screw to the Entreq Minimus and see if it improves or not?

2. Try to ground port no 2 of my Aqvox switch to Entreq Minimus with my RJ45 grounding plugs to see if that improves or not? Why port no 2? Because JS said that this port should be empty, so my guess is that grounding could be most effective there. I will also try port 4 & 5 since IME other tweaks have been more effective there on the Aqvox switch.

3. Try to ground the DC- output of the Gophert powering the ISO Regen to the safety ground receptacle to see if that improves or not? 

🎛️  Audio System  

37 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

The addition of a second one is more subtle but quite magical - really amazing bass and expanded, floating soundstage, more ‘air’ it seemed.

That may also be due to the small capacitance values used (due to size and space constraints) and type of the electros used on these boards, which would likely result in accentuation of upper high frequency detail, which can be demonstrated to cause this.

With bass, although it is generally thought of as only LF, it can reduce the rise and fall times of the envelope, often resulting in more impact, although it may also make drums etc. sound a little metallic.

Check out the VERY fast rise time of the envelope in this drum recording.

kWlZf7.jpg

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

That may also be due to the small capacitance values used (due to size and space constraints) and type of the electros used on these boards, which would likely result in accentuation of upper high frequency detail, which can be demonstrated to cause this.

With bass, although it is generally thought of as only LF, it can reduce the rise and fall times of the envelope, often resulting in more impact, although it may also make drums etc. sound a little metallic.

Check out the VERY fast rise time of the envelope in this drum recording.

kWlZf7.jpg

Thanks @sandyk very interesting. I don’t profess to understand how all this hangs together but am intrigued by your mention of how timing can be reduced by components on the regs.

How would you define the effect of low noise on the power input with these regs or are you saying this is not the reason for what is happening?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

49 minutes ago, marce said:

I have used thes in the past, probably overkill current wise, but worth a look, also used them with their related Vicor isolated power modules...

http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/family_overviews/picor/fo_QPI-input-filters.pdf

Thanks marce! :)

Since I do not know how to add those EMI filters inline I just quickly Googled up Schaffner inline DC EMI filter and found this.

http://schaffnercn.w-4.ch/index.php?id=1021&type=123&L=0&w4_products[product]=20&cHash=9c063689fff0dacb903751e652c3b371

39858ec54e.thumb.jpg.a40578ea411d880f3d9222c562281695.jpg

Any idea if this so called DC passthrough EMI filter could be a good idea or not to use together with the voltage regulators? 

Maybe there is a way to use your posted active Picor EMI filters inline with screw terminal DC plugs/sockets? I just cannot picture how? :)

🎛️  Audio System  

@marce I also found this EMI filter which is quite inexpensive and seems easy to implement to these eyes. Is it any good though?Also not sure if it says 75 VDC inut or 75 VDC input max (ie 0-75VDC input). Hmmm? o.O

https://www.elfa.se/Web/Downloads/sp/df/FL75L05A_eng_tdspdf.pdf

1043505-01.thumb.jpg.95aa043b06131eb4eac8dc28cf6c2a84.jpg

It feels like I am entering a new jungle of gadgets here! :D Any audio down-sides I should be aware of before entering? :ph34r:

🎛️  Audio System  

I'll have a look at the data sheet later.

The Picor/Vicor stuff I use on military and aerospace layouts, where low noise and isolation of SMPS's is paramount. Used them quite a lot on some of the ANVIC-5 stuff and a couple of other projects. There are lower voltage versions of the picor stuff.

Where did you find then tapatrick the HW cap?  All I found was UHW.  

18 hours ago, Cornan said:

So far two LT3045's in series seems to be the magic number to reduce noise. But who knows if 3 will be even better? ?

If you have a 9v PSU you can power anything in the <7v range with dual LT3045's. If you want to power a 9v device you'll need another PSU.

The DC- output grounding is the same one as JS grounding thing! ? Clearly it is best used with Ethernet devices. If used with other devices great care needs to be taken to avoid noice sharing via the ground wires.

The "9V" LPS is actually variable up to 18V but I do not see a 9V LT3045 on the link provided to rb2013 lengthy post.

Are there other output voltages available?

Another LPS is nominally 5V but has internal pot for tweaking output. 

Is adjusting up 0.5V and using with 5V LT3045 OK or should I try to give myself a bit more room for error?

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Where about in the circuit , and what value do you intend using these ?

The use of very low ESR capacitors such as the Panasonic FM with it's very Low ESR is not always suitable at the output of some voltage regulators. Indiscriminate use of very Low ESR electros MAY result in a "hardening" of the sound, and make treble sound a little too "etched."

You will also find that capacitors that are named as audiophile , Nichicon FG, Elna Silmic  for example, are NOT very low ESR types. Sometimes it is best to use a combination of a parallel normal ESR type electrolytic capacitor, and a relatively low ESR type of the same value, such as the Panasonic FC. This also applies to Digital type PSUs !

"You will also find that capacitors that are named as audiophile , Nichicon FG, Elna Silmic  for example, are NOT very low ESR types. Sometimes it is best to use a combination of a parallel normal ESR type electrolytic capacitor, and a relatively low ESR type of the same value, such as the Panasonic FC. This also applies to Digital type PSUs !"

I can see that it's not many people that recommend Mundorf capacitors ,, a little bit strange for me

12 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

The "9V" LPS is actually variable up to 18V but I do not see a 9V LT3045 on the link provided to rb2013 lengthy post.

Are there other output voltages available?

Another LPS is nominally 5V but has internal pot for tweaking output. 

Is adjusting up 0.5V and using with 5V LT3045 OK or should I try to give myself a bit more room for error?

You can find the voltages on this post by @tapatrick

You can also send a pm to Alexey and ask him for other voltages. He is a really helpful guy! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

You can find the voltages on this post by @tapatrick

You can also send a pm to Alexey and ask him for other voltages. He is a really helpful guy! :)

Thanks.  Listed closest voltages are 9V and 12V.  Looks like I will need to drop Alexey a line.

Is 5.5V at the LPS enough leeway for the 5V regulator or, given variability in, too close?

26 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Thanks.  Listed closest voltages are 9V and 12V.  Looks like I will need to drop Alexey a line.

Is 5.5V at the LPS enough leeway for the 5V regulator or, given variability in, too close?

Based on LT3045 datasheet, it has a low dropout voltage at 260mV (0.26V), so the 0.5V of leeway should be more than enough as long as output will not oscillate and drop below the required 260mV.

9 hours ago, Cornan said:

I guess it is grounding experiments on the menue tonight. :) 

Said and done. Let me say it like this. I love when theories works IRL! ?

I grounded the Aqvox switch GND screw to the Entreq Minimus and the Gopherts DC- output to the star-earth receptacle of my PSD.

IMG_6735.thumb.JPG.d86e906f2df051adaef5c82668c4fb89.JPGIMG_6736.thumb.JPG.a6d1059ce1ad57e20b73e6b7c88983d1.JPGIMG_6737.thumb.JPG.3d6502bc4640fb889a052b6d5073be85.JPGIMG_6738.thumb.JPG.4cf028ff336818bc614408c8f8d3a857.JPG

This time both worked just great and both increased SQ with a more of that grounding music magic! ?

I did'nt even try to ground any ports on the Aqvox switch. I can clearly tell that's no need.

🎛️  Audio System  

As we allready are talking about PSU have anybody been in conntact with PSU from Sellarz in Korea? They have a couple of PSU but the dual output is the one I am intrested in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULN-PS2-Ultra-Low-Noise-Dual-Positive-Power-Supply-/330869867631?hash=item4d0961846f:g:6XAAAOSwT5tWFzDZ

The specs seems to be really good.

Noise :  Min. 0.9nV/√Hz @1KHz ~ Max. 5.4nV/√Hz @1KHz 9. PSRR(Power Supply Ripple Rejection) : 132dB(Vs=6V to 30V)

I asked them for specs regarding output impedance and the answer was.

It is approximately <0.005Ω(@10Hz ~100KHz, 15Vin/10Vout/6A)

AC voltage input as follows.

Final Output Vdc(Vout)

Transformer’s Secondary Voltage(Vac)

2.5V

7V ~ 8V

3.3V

8V ~ 9V

5.0V

9V ~ 10V

7.0V

10V ~ 11V

8.0V

11V ~ 12V

10.0V

13V ~ 14V

12.0V

14V ~ 15V

15.0V

16V ~ 18V

20.0V

20V ~ 21V

25.0V

23V ~ 25V

30.0V

27V ~ 28V

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree