3 hours ago, BigGuy said:

I believe Cornan was the one who posted the article by Tony Waldron which was interesting.  In the References an earlier 2-part article is also mentioned which may be even more valuable tho' I have not read them as yet...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/emcj/0209-101-j.html&prev=search

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/emcj/0209-101-j.html&prev=search

I did.:)

Those were the links I mentioned I couldn,t find. Cheers.

After a couple of hours listening to the LM317 pre my Aries Mini I decided to remove it and listen without it. Quite I big difference in air, dimension and ambience without the LM317. More details as well. I must say that I think I prefer my Aries without the LM317 at the moment. A bit too much to loose out even if I gain in bass performance and dynamic voices with the LM317. I like my ambience a lot. It is a big part of my music magic.

I will retry the LM317 again during the weekend and let them run for a while before next session, but for now they are unfortunately more of a no then yes for me. Despite a likable sound.

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

What I realised with all my attempts was that Entreq is not at all expensive. Tourmaline stones, clear quartz and silver of good quality is not cheap by any means. I also realised that I never came close to the real deal. My best version so far is a combination of a battery grounder and tourmaline grounder inside a silver box. It is actually better than the Aucharm box IMHO, but not to Entreq Minimus.

A battery grounder is however quite cheap to do! ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences Cornan.  Btw, loving some of your music links, Thanks

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

24 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences Cornan.  Btw, loving some of your music links, Thanks

Your most welcome Forehaven! Great to hear that you like some of the music as well. I can see that it might be a bit crazy to mix music with tweaks, but for me music is what it is all about. So much great music to explore these days! I'm actually listening to Kommode "Analogue Dance Music" now, before I'll have to run school with my kid and hurry to work. 

I am listening to speakers in my B setup. The balanced IT with floating center-tap is really something very special IMO. It bring all the music into the room like I never heard before with speakers. I think I'll need to take my time to try it on my A setup instead of my beloved Peaktech 2240. Interesting to know if it will make headphones glow as well.

Wow, time to run to school! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

8 hours ago, Cornan said:

After a couple of hours listening to the LM317 pre my Aries Mini I decided to remove it and listen without it. Quite I big difference in air, dimension and ambience without the LM317. More details as well. I must say that I think I prefer my Aries without the LM317 at the moment. A bit too much to loose out even if I gain in bass performance and dynamic voices with the LM317. I like my ambience a lot. It is a big part of my music magic.

I will retry the LM317 again during the weekend and let them run for a while before next session, but for now they are unfortunately more of a no then yes for me. Despite a likable sound.

try without the capacitor before  LM317

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

@Cornan

Browsing Tidal Masters after a while on Roon and came across this blast from the past. Assuming you’ve seen this, but enjoying The Robots after a few decades. Wish I had an MQA DAC!

2AAE9C8C-C3EE-4DB2-98C7-54BE10832F95.thumb.jpeg.f2981c7e3665dfb45bf9f3b8f0930873.jpeg

Back to tweaks.

Thanks Rajiv! I have heard it ofcourse, being in the right generation and all. I am not trying to make your MQA longing worse, but it is actually one of the better MAQ recordings I´ve heard so far on Tidal. :)

Here is another tip in the Tidal Master catalogue. A completely different thing to Kraftwerk, but since I´ve just ordered a ticket to his (Sam Beam) concert on Jan 20 next year it is something close to my heart http://pustervik.nu/events/ironwine/

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic

https://tidal.com/album/77458974

IronandWine_BeastEpic_Cover_5x5_300-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.51fcda24096349d2bd8264164a4910f4.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

@TubeMan Another thing. I have finally found screw terminal DC2.5/5.5mm sockets & plugs 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-5mm-dc-power-plug-with-screw-terminal-block-5pcs.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-5mm-dc-power-socket-with-screw-terminal-block-5pcs.html

:) 

I have been looking for these for quite some time. Now they suddenly appeared when I Googled them.

Why is this important you might ask?

Since my Aries Mini and accordingly my Ghent DC cable is using DC2.5/5.5 socket and plugs I was forced to use DC converters for the LM317 to make it work. I guess this also affects the performance a little bit. I will await that delivery and put the LM317 together with the DC2.5/5.5mm plugs/sockets and remove the capacitors at the same time, before I make another try.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:
4 hours ago, TubeMan said:

try without the capacitor before  LM317

Thanks, I will surely try without the capacitors during the weekend. I did´nt even think about it, since I actually thought they was needed.

The LM317 Data Sheets state that you can have leads up to 6 inches long from the Input of the LM317 to the Filter Capacitors of the PSU. The filter capacitor(s)  referred to, is the capacitor immediately after the PSU's rectifier diodes.

It still needs a capacitor at it's input for stability.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

After checking the current draw of my Aries Mini for a longer period it pulls maximum of 660 mA during a split second while booting up. I had a look at eBay/LDOVR and Alexey had only 2pcs 1A boards left. I quickly grabbed them and asked for 14v and 15v output!

So, it looks like there will be a shoot-out between LM317 and dual LT3045´s coming! :) 

Who knows if they can be great together as well? Dual 3045´s with LM317 could be a killer combo? :D 

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The LM317 Data Sheets state that you can have leads up to 6 inches long from the Input of the LM317 to the Filter Capacitors of the PSU. It still needs a capacitor at it's input for stability.

Thanks Alex! So you mean that I should keep the 1000 uF capasitor at the input of the LM317 and safely remove the one at the output?

Any other recommendation of other simple methods to make the LM317 perform at its best? I am mainly interested in things that could improve resolution and noise reduction. Maybe the Picor EMI filter that @marce pointed out, but my problem is that I do not understand how to add them?

🎛️  Audio System  

31 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Alex! So you mean that I should keep the 1000 uF capasitor at the input of the LM317 and safely remove the one at the output?

Any other recommendation of other simple methods to make the LM317 perform at its best?

If the Input to the LM317 is already filtered DC , e.g. from a battery, you can use a much lower value of input capacitor if you wish. The LM317 still needs a capacitor at it's output for stability. 100uF is usually a good choice, but depending on the application you can go quite a bit lower. Don't forget the 10 to 22uF between it's adjust terminal and  0 volts for increased ripple rejection.

Attached is a copy of the schematic of a PSU, for which a friend of mine designed a 4 output PCB to my specifications.

2 outputs are + and - adjustable outputs.The photo was taken before the heat sinks were fitted.

Incidentally, in the schematic , the 7812 (etc.) is being used as a Pre-Regulator for the 7805

jTfKrH.jpg

As43Az.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

If the Input to the LM317 is already filtered DC , e.g. from a battery, you can use a much lower value of input capacitor if you wish. The LM317 still needs a capacitor at it's output for stability. 100uF is usually a good choice, but depending on the application you can go quite a bit lower. Don't forget the 10 to 22uF between it's adjust terminal and  0 volts for increased ripple rejection.

Attached is a copy of the schematic of a PSU, for which a friend of mine designed a 4 output PSU to my specifications.

2 outputs are + and - adjustable outputs.

As43Az.jpg

Thanks Alex!

I am using the Gophert csp-3205II to feed the LM317, but it decrease details and ambience quite a bit. For now it sounds better without the LM317 with 1000 uF capasitors at input and output. This is the LM317 board I use together with ELNA silmic II's.

IMG_6726.thumb.JPG.8631e1a742418cba3235d1f9467180ab.JPG

Any thoughts how to improve resolution and noise reduction with this board? The ELNA silsmic II is likely out of the question at both input/output. I am not sure if the Gophert are DC filtered or not.

Nice PSU design! Is it something like this you use for the + and -adjustable outputs? http://www.dx.com/p/lm317-lm337-2-channel-adjustable-voltage-regulator-power-supply-module-blue-black-187364#.WenTdWi0NPY

Why do one need to adjust the + and - outputs? To balance the output?

🎛️  Audio System  

19 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Is it something like this you use for the + and -adjustable outputs? http://www.dx.com/p/lm317-lm337-2-channel-adjustable-voltage-regulator-power-supply-module-blue-black-187364#.WenTdWi0NPY

Why do one need to adjust the + and - outputs? To balance the output?

The one at the link is a similar concept. We have 2 versions of the PCB. One is fully adjustable as in the photo,and the other uses fixed resistors as with the LT3045. Many OP amps normally use balanced + and - supply rails. This enables DC coupling at the output. That is, no output coupling capacitor is normally needed. We can also adjust both the +VE and -VE outputs to the desired voltage. e.g. + and -9V,  + and -12V, or + and -15V

We have taken this PCB a little further, as because the +VE supply rails are normally more heavily loaded than the -VE supply rail, we have loaded the -VE supply with a 330 ohm PW5 resistor. This lets both supply polarities decay at a similar rate when switched off, which helps to prevent "plops" on switch off.

IIRC, that little voltage regulator PCB, does not have an Input Capacitor, as it would normally be used with Input Filter capacitors from after rectifier diodes.

You could try soldering something like a 100uF 25V capacitor across it's input terminals underneath the PCB.

G'night from Sydney Au !

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The one at the link is a similar concept. We have 2 versions of the PCB. One is fully adjustable as in the photo,and the other uses fixed resistors as with the LT3045. Many OP amps normally use balanced + and - supply rails. This enables DC coupling at the output. That is, no output coupling capacitor is normally needed. We can also adjust both the +VE and -VE outputs to the desired voltage. e.g. + and -9V,  + and -12V, or + and -15V

We have taken this PCB a little further, as because the +VE supply rails are normally more heavily loaded than the -VE supply rail, we have loaded the -VE supply with a 330 ohm PW5 resistor. This lets both supply polarities decay at a similar rate when switched off, which helps to prevent "plops" on switch off.

IIRC, that little voltage regulator PCB, does not have an Input Capacitor, as it would normally be used with Input Filter capacitors from after rectifier diodes.

You could try soldering something like a 100uF 25V capacitor across it's input terminals underneath the PCB.

G'night from Sydney Au !

Thanks for your help Alex & good night! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The LM317 Data Sheets state that you can have leads up to 6 inches long from the Input of the LM317 to the Filter Capacitors of the PSU. The filter capacitor(s)  referred to, is the capacitor immediately after the PSU's rectifier diodes.

It still needs a capacitor at it's input for stability.

there is a pre mounted capacitors of 47uf before the  LM317 

I have plans to make a major change of isolation transformers during the weekend.

Right now the 500VA Peaktech 2240 isolation transformer with floating secondary is powering my A setup with Brooklyn DAC and headphones while the 200VA ATL balanced and floating IT is powering the music source and ethernet chain (pc/switch/wireless adapter/DAC) while my 500VA Elsund Ultra IT is powering the Monkey Banana active speakers alone.

Now, since the ATL balanced and floating IT is sounding so great I am really interested how it turns out in my A setup. I think that 200VA will be sufficient there. The Peaktech 2240 also sounds really great and will be sufficient to power the whole B setup (music source, ethernet & active speakers). This could potensially be a win-win. I have always seen the Elsund Ultra IT as the weak link in my B setup. Not that it is all bad or anything. It is just not as good as either the Peaktech or the ALT Hi-Fi. Even more importantly. The Elsund is humming quite a bit which neither of the others ones do.

I´ll be back with my impressions as soon as I have done the switch! :) 

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, mozes said:

I am no expert in voltage regulators nor in power supplies. Having said that, I have upgraded caps in my speakers, amps and power supplies. My experience is that after I install the new caps, the sound takes a hit, it becomes edgy flat and closed in. Keep running the capa for a week and then the magic will come back. My experience is based on Mundorf Supreme electrolytic caps. My 2 cents!

Thanks Moussa! I intend to do that as well. I will try with one capacitor and no capacitor as well and finally compare it to dual LT3045´s. I am all new to external voltage regulators as well, but I can firmly say that the dual LT3045 is pretty impressive and the LM317 really needs to perform optimal to have a chance in the end.

BTW. While you´re here. Have you ordered the Mytek Clef that you where thinking about a while ago?

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Moussa! I intend to do that as well. I will try with one capacitor and no capacitor as well and finally compare it to dual LT3045´s. I am all new to external voltage regulators as well, but I can firmly say that the dual LT3045 is pretty impressive and the LM317 really needs to perform optimal to have a chance in the end.

BTW. While you´re here. Have you ordered the Mytek Clef that you where thinking about a while ago?

I ordered 6 LT3045 chips to play with and see if they make a difference in my system.

I haven’t ordered the Clef as I have received no answer from Mytek when I asked them about it. I don’t know if itnis shipping now

5 minutes ago, mozes said:

I ordered 6 LT3045 chips to play with and see if they make a difference in my system.

I haven’t ordered the Clef as I have received no answer from Mytek when I asked them about it. I don’t know if itnis shipping now

Cool! I´m looking forward to read about your impressions! :) 

I just looked today at Mytek website today and it still say Q4 2017. Should be very close now if I count the Q's right! :D Not a good sign that they do not respond though! ¬¬

🎛️  Audio System