Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Just now, Em2016 said:

I can't access the full think either but saw this much:

"Mr Stuart's MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) format has just been adopted by Alibaba's Xiami music-streaming service, with its 14m subscribers in China."

But how many are actually are interested in it? The issue is they more than likely have tiers of subscriptions - How many at that level?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

24 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Actually Michael Fremer accepted the challenge on the condition that the blind testing be performed by Scientific American magazine. See https://gizmodo.com/updated-journalist-accepts-1-million-challenge-do-7-311034. Randi backed out.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

There is nothing in there stated about that, but I did skim the article. It proves nothing.......

ABX testing has been done before - Boston Audio Society has done quite a bit.

https://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing.htm

They even did one on Amplifiers. I have it at home and can post it later.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, Fast and Bulbous said:

I fully agree. Unfortunately for those who are adopting MQA in the value system around it these arguments are, I suspect, not important. As long as it is "good enough" to allow them to drive the adoption / diffusion of MQA until it is part of infrastructure. And the revenues all flow towards MQA. From where I sit and from the perspective of several mental models, they, MQA, are conforming to the approaches that are designed to win. But just because they do that, does not necessarily mean they will succeed. 

When an audiophile wants the best sound and spends boatloads of money for music reproduction, 'good enough' IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

My perspective is this: we need to point out the fallacies of MQA constantly. If one wants the best in music reproduction, one does not use a toy piano to play a Sonata, unless you are Schroeder from Peanuts. This is what MQA is to me.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

27 minutes ago, Fast and Bulbous said:

Do you actually understand innovation diffusion / adoption strategies? Continuous / discontinuous / disruptive / transformative? First hand? I suspect that you do not really. I also used the VHS / Betamax example but further than your simple explanation. MQA are following such approaches more or less to the letter. 

I work in science research (mostly biofuels and algae biofuels) - do you? 

MQA is nothing more than MP3 with DRM. What is new to it? 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, firedog said:

There is a difference with audio: One can claim that no bits are changed in transmission, but noise conducted along with the data can effect the DA conversion adversely. There’s not a lot of evidence with this other than anecdotal listening observations, but it isn’t impossible. 

See, you proved my point. Trying to force one's opinion does not help one's position. It may be that there is a difference but if I can't hear it, does it matter?

With MQA, I can hear a difference and is NOT GOOD. That is all I was trying to point out.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

12 minutes ago, manisandher said:

I know @mansr has already pointed this out, but you really should refer to this as 'imaging' and not 'aliasing'.

Imaging is a brain phenomenon, not a file issue.

I am not aware of how one can measure imaging in a file since your ears and brain determine that.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

22 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

This thread invites excessive navel gazing but as far as getting information out to the world or the world outside this web site even being aware of this thread, not so much. Jes saying.

Not true. If the information is only partly true in this thread (which I believe is 100% true but playing Devil's Advocate), it should still give audiophiles pause to think. Does one really want extra noise in high res files (and these files are only part high res because they are produced from them and that is it).

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I’m prepared to stipulate that the information in this thread is 100% true but believe you are grossly overestimating the number of audiophiles around the world who are aware of it. 

I think as others start to understand the ramifications of MQA, there will eventually be louder and louder voices. I don't care one wit about MQA, either way. I do not want it to be the only choice out there.

If you like MQA, go at it. Just leave me and my FLAC files alone.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Can one of our Chinese AS users tell us whether Xiami is popular among Chinese music streaming consumers?  Or is it insignificant, like TIDAL vs Spotify?

Here is some information I found on Billboard:

Xiami Music was founded in 2008 and acquired by the Alibaba Group in 2013. User numbers are not publicly available. The biggest digital music services in China are QQ Music, Kugou, Kuwo and WeSing, all owned by tech giant Tencent Music Entertainment Group. Collectively those four services have more than 800 million users, says Tencent.

NetEase Cloud Music, operated by Chinese internet company NetEase, is another of the region's biggest music platforms and claims to have more than 600 million registered users.

Note also that Tencent is negotiating to buy 10% of UMG with a one-year option to double its stake.

Like the Chinese are allowed to view content from the rest of the world. Just like Russia, who is setting up their own DNS system to not allow their citizens to see content outside the US.

OK, no more politics - SORRY.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

All of us would love this, but it should be blatantly obvious that the Record Companies will continue to resist this, and their  reasoning is  that the ability to copy and re distribute these recordings without some kind of safeguard will reduce their revenue.

I would  much prefer a permanent personal copy of a high res album with some kind of copy protection, over a dumbed down version such as MQA , or no Master quality recording access at all.

Then Bandcamp should be gone after first - since so many groups are using that now.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590