IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 hours ago, OldHardwareTech said:

According to Audirvana it's receiving the file at 24/192, I noticed it because it usually shows receiving at 24/48 or 16/44. Regardless of the input format it decodes almost everything to 24/96 but it decodes some things at 24/88, The Styx album The Mission is an example of 24/88.

The original file, on Qobuz, will be 24/192. What happens on TIDAL is that the file is down-sampled (in effect) to 24/94, then "folded" using the MQA scheme, after some form of usually automated DSP processing (which, to me, sounds like the effects of a 3D plug-in, depending on the music type). However, the file is reported as being 24/192 by TIDAL, even though it is no longer. Depending on the DAC you use, it or Audirvana does the "first unfold" back to 24/96, then, if your DAC can "render" MQA, it up-samples it back to 24/192 using a form of minimum phase filter. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Fast and Bulbous said:

Well, well well... Never thought I would see this...

What HiFi - UK magazine that has been very positive about MQA, some would say suspiciously so, has just published an article about tech that is likely to become obsolete. Includes BluRay, CD, wired IEMs, music downloads. 

And..

MQA. Yep, really. Good news as far as I am concerned. May give others in the audio / music press the courage to tell it like it is. Well, you never know...

Here is the (very long) URL:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/the-tech-endangered-list-are-these-devices-and-formats-the-next-to-go?utm_source=SmartBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=E632F623-34B1-4EBE-B56C-3D5896DC5E2A&utm_content=F859157B-285F-47A8-BD65-02C2F2721B68&utm_term=c4187c4a-d498-48ef-ae6a-f2d854d1917c

Oh, I don't subscribe to What HiFi - I just get emails from them. Honest. No, really. 

How to remove the tracking crap from URLs:

Basically, everything separated by a "/" is part of a url. It used to refer to physical directory structure on a web server, but is generated virtually now, for the most part. After that, if data info is included in a url, it is indicated by a "?" and variables chained together with "&". So, the actual url is: 

https://www.whathifi.com/features/the-tech-endangered-list-are-these-devices-and-formats-the-next-to-go and everything else is just stuff showing that it came from an email campaign and the details so the site can see how effective their email lists are.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, MikeyFresh said:

My only real question there was why is The Wall at 24/96, when it seems the rest of the catalog was done at 24/192, and I'm not hearing that those are clearly just upsampled. Even if they were upsampled, the question would then be why they didn't also offer The Wall at an upsampled 24/192 as well.

It's somewhat of a moot point, as anything off tapes isn't going to have any meaningful high-res content, and regardless, many, if not most ADCs output a lot of noise above 48 khz, ie: the 96 kHz file limit. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:55 AM, Archimago said:

Yeah, for sure, just reading how Veth responds in threads like this from earlier this year:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/comparison-of-pcm-and-mqa/149787/269

indicates this guy must be a company salesman. I mean, seriously, the way he talks about mQa and pulls out links to company papers, and speaks as if he's authoritatively in-the-know about the "3 folds and unfolds" I find hard to imagine to be comments coming out of the mouth of an independent audiophile!

Of course, he might just be highly delusional, but even delusional people are more believable ;-).

I'm thinking being an mQa salesman must be a rather lonely, meaningless, soul-destroying job these days. At least one can listen to music and watch videos "on the job", which is nice...

A quick search of LinkedIn shows that he is indeed, a sales manager.

• 1 month later...

The benefit of high-res was that it reduced the often poor filtering built into many newer sigma-delta-based DACs. Since they seem to have improved quite a bit, the benefits of greater than 24/48 or 24/96 is null IMO, especially as many ADCs just generate noise above 48 kHz. Dan Lavry pointed this out I believe over a decade ago.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Archimago said:

As for mQa and time domain, maybe they can just show us what a square wave looks like comparing say an original 10kHz 24/352.8 and that same waveform having gone through the mQa meat processor down to a 24/44.1 file, then reconstituted back up to 352.8kHz using one of their filters. I can simulate this, but would much prefer to see the "real deal". Let's just say this ain't likely gonna be exactly the same. ;-)

A square wave is an out-of-band signal, so it's not a good example.  The ADC 2L uses is useless for encoding frequencies above 48 kHz as it outputs only noise. So, any of their music encoded above 96k is a waste of space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 8:10 PM, Iving said:

Here JBara appeals surreptitiously to Gen-Z. Of course it's demand-hype in disguise. I don't like it. It's creepy. I don't believe mQa should be allowed to use hashtag. #Earth Day.

Since the reason we have fast internet is the result of the desire for p0rnography, which has long chewed up gigantic amounts of bandwidth, if he actually cared about the environment, he's is, by very far, targeting the wrong thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 6:51 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d say mQa is on its last legs. Its presence at the show was nearly meaningless. The company had a meeting room to discuss licensing with manufacturers. I was told by a manufacturer they needed to check the mQa box for some reason. They hated the technology. I armed her/him with some data going into the discussion by telling her/him some manufacturers paid absolutely nothing for mQa while others paid around $5. 

Talking to a manufacturer in Asia, there is a big fan base of it, and they gain sales of products that have MQA. They said that people like it because it sounds different.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:07 AM, Archimago said:

Interesting... In Asia where are they getting mQa encoded content? Is it TIDAL (or other site) streaming or are we still talking about MQA-CDs?

On 6/2/2022 at 8:02 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Must be MQA CDs since Tidal is only available in Hong Kong and Singapore.  The total number of people who can stream MQA is so small it is hard to compute.

Most of the portable audiophiles are in HK and SG, so TIDAL I guess. I don't think the younger generation would bother with CDs. Also, the country restrictions certainly haven't stopped people signing up for TIDAL outside its official markets.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:20 PM, Archimago said:

A conservative difference of less than 4.7TB streamed according to them = 5 return flights London/Berlin = 9 car journeys London/Manchester = 19 trees planted?

I easy stream terabytes of data throughout the year. If this were even remotely true, I would have been bankrupted by the electricity bill by now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, firedog said:

The simplest, most direct ways:

1)Tidal folds. It is still a tiny player, so it could fold or be taken over by a company not interested in MQA. 

2) Tidal sees that it's premium MQA tier isn't really making a financial difference for them and drops MQA for regular hi-res.

99% of MQA listening is via Tidal. No Tidal, no basis for MQA to exist. Without Tidal audio manufacturers will stop producing MQA playback HW/SW.

Isn't TIDAL now owned by Stripe?  They are fairly screwed now they've lost their Redbook originals on a lot of music. 

I speculate what may be sustaining MQA is that it's a big deal in Asia still. 

Probably the best thing that can be done now is to suppose Qobuz.  I heard rumours of their getting a "Qobuz Connect" happening, which, if so, will make them more appealing to a lot of manufacturers.

• 1 month later...

I'd try and contact him and ask. 

If MQA was the source, then, if you bought both the MQA version and the 192, they would near bit-perfect, or at least have similar spectrums, as all the MQA processing would still be visible in the 192, such as a lack of anything above 48 kHz.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, skraggy said:

Apple and Amazon aren't known to give away money, I don't see them jumping on the MQA train and who's going to pressure these giants?

Apple has gone down the spacial audio route. Guess who is behind that? Dolby! I think someone from Dolby was on the mQa board at one stage too. Dolby are much better at getting their tech out as a "standard". Remember when every hi-fi cassette deck required a Dolby button on it?

On 8/31/2022 at 6:30 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

That has always blown my mind. People actually believe you can make something better than the original. 

It's worth considering that all music is mastered -- at least hand-processed, and the actual "original" music may not sound so great, unless it is recorded very carefully such that it doesn't need post-processing, supposedly like some DSD albums are. Also, as I understand things, there may be a number of different album masters for, say, CD, radio, and other formats, though I don't know if this is true with albums now. As for MQA, the "white glove" MQA seems to be good, such as the Beatles. If all else is removed, whoever is doing their white glove mastering I would say is very capable. If MQA were only selling their white glove mastering skills, it might have some worth.

• 1 month later...