IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd say the writing is on the wall. Labels are not going to produce MQA versions if this is the case, unless contractually bound to do so.

Almost nothing new will be produced in MQA. And hi-res versions will be there instead of most of the MQA that was there before. The MQA selection will be pretty small. Peter will have to suck it up and listen to hi-res flac. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Peter will have to suck it up and listen to hi-res flac.

Not sure if he will find it perceptually lossless.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I have a question about the Gustard R26 and A26 DACs.  I was keen on trying the R26 but stopped short when it had MQA built in.  How much MQA processing is baked into these DACs?  Can one bypass the MQA processing on these DACs?  Does it matter?

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

9 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

I have a question about the Gustard R26 and A26 DACs.  I was keen on trying the R26 but stopped short when it had MQA built in.  How much MQA processing is baked into these DACs?  Can one bypass the MQA processing on these DACs?  Does it matter?

Only version 1.21bridge firmware had MQA built in - the previous version did not. I never updated mine.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 3/7/2024 at 1:01 PM, Nikhil said:

I never noticed it in the R26 to be honest!

On 11/21/2023 at 4:31 AM, Archimago said:

I noticed ongoing MQA disgruntlement in the Stereophile As We See It article. Anyhow, I'm trying to respond to the fellow "mieswall" but the system says "You are not authorized to access this page."

Anyhow, I might as well respond here and if someone still can post to the Stereophile comments, feel free to direct the discussion...

Honestly, I'd go to a show that you know they will be at, and introduce yourself in person.  

On 3/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, loop7 said:

I wonder if writers for the big two pubs will still use MQA content for reviews? If a track/format is not widely available to most consumers, I find it cheating.

I doubt it. They are reviewing for whomever reads, and whatever they are interested in. If MQA disappears, then so will the interest. It'll quietly be forgotten about. 

I am 100% certain this has been answered prior and I apologize for adding chaff to the thread.

MQA streams on TIDAL may be available indefinitely in some cases, correct?

I was streaming this via a Lenbrook product and noticed it was MQA.

image.thumb.png.4bf4ca5e835ae1b797ec9f991a0a0855.png

1 hour ago, loop7 said:

I am 100% certain this has been answered prior and I apologize for adding chaff to the thread.

image.thumb.png.4bf4ca5e835ae1b797ec9f991a0a0855.png

Correct, TIDAL have never officially said they are dropping MQA, though they have said they will prioritize hi-res FLAC over MQA as the file served. To a large extent this will then depend on what the record label for any particular album title has supplied them.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

16 hours ago, loop7 said:

Yes, they've said if they are supplied  a hi-res FLAC version, that will replace the MQA. If not, the MQA will be retained. Apparently b/c it will be, in that case, the closest thing to hi-res they have. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

29 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, they've said if they are supplied  a hi-res FLAC version, that will replace the MQA. If not, the MQA will be retained. Apparently b/c it will be, in that case, the closest thing to hi-res they have. 

Then give me CD quality w/o the crap added.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 3/6/2024 at 9:58 PM, loop7 said:

I wonder if writers for the big two pubs will still use MQA content for reviews? If a track/format is not widely available to most consumers, I find it cheating.

Someone needs to call out the fake news here for what it is, and it might as well be me. Perhaps it's because the American presidential contest is now (almost) officially set and the strategy of one side depends largely on introducing a false narrative and then using that premise as if it was factual to attack the other side. That, I think, is what's going on here.

I use a wide range of reference tracks in my reviews and less than 2% are MQA encoded.  That's always been the case. I stream only Qobuz and have exactly one locally stored file on my equipment review playlist that happens to be MQA-encoded. Most of the thousands of CDs and SACDs in my collection pre-date MQA, and I still use LPs to assess gear. This is pretty much the situation for everyone at TAS (though, of course, different writers use very different proportions of LPs, silver discs, and streaming) and I can think of one, maybe two guys at our friendly competition who have cared much about MQA.

Please don't conflate the initial misplaced enthusiasm for MQA from several thoughtful and influential editors, eight or nine years ago, with the way those same writers approached the task of reviewing audio equipment, then and now. Discussions about the merits of the technology (or lack thereof) mostly occurred outside the context of an equipment review. No reviews, or certainly very few, elevated MQA-encoded files as a preferred source material for either the subjective or objective consideration of sound quality. For some of us, the MQA "debate" was about the decline in civility within a hobby known for more camaraderie in years past. It's a trivial observation to point out that the Internet has helped make it this way in so many fields and endeavors.

Frankly, my sense is that there has always been a small group of hobbyists who need to detest audio writers who have their name on a masthead and get paid for doing something that's super-fun (though, I'd hasten to add, harder work than you might think.) It's about, to use the tile of a book  by Tom Nichols that's well worth reading, the death of expertise. MQA has become an irrelevancy—if it ever was relevant, except for a brief moment at the outset. For a bitter subset of audiophiles, MQA was nice while it lasted but these folks surely will find some other reason to hate established audio journalism. And this thread will live on, in spirit, if not in actuality.

Andrew Quint

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

⬇️

<< Some writers do their best to be detested, whether they know it or not.>>

As a good friend of mine says, often: "That's for shit sure."

Let's get drunk at AXPONA and make a list. 😉

<< For a while MQA took over Tidal, the only HiFi streaming service available in some countries. Some of the detestors (is that a word) were proven correct, that it would replace pure PCM. Fortunately the tide receded and MQA is all but gone for those who don’t want it. Those who are fans of it are now without that which birthed a new world. That’s unfortunate. There should be choice.>>

I do agree. And within our little world, MQA certainly hasn't been the only threat to choice. To pick a sore subject, I feel the same way about the dumbed-down version of Atmos that Apple is streaming, something they are (currently) imposing because they can - because they're big, because they're a bully.

20 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

I do agree. And within our little world, MQA certainly hasn't been the only threat to choice. To pick a sore subject, I feel the same way about the dumbed-down version of Atmos that Apple is streaming, something they are (currently) imposing because they can - because they're big, because they're a bully.

Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you. Too much irrationality in that paragraph for me to even respond. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Andrew,

<< I feel with you. It's quite unfortunate to face the unwashed, uncivilized and attacking hobbyistas, Did I forget mostly anonymous?>>

This certainly isn't my view of you, Tom. I enjoy reading what you have to say - it's an informed, interesting point of view. If we lived close to one another, I'm pretty sure we'd listen together. I almost always have friends come over to hear equipment that's passing through because their opinions can bolster my own - or make me step back and reassess. I can't say that about a small but quite measurable percentage of people in the industry—manufacturers, publicists, other writers. Chris

<< I think it's time to accept that the MQA story has placed a deep mistrust for the "professional" media that serves the Hi-Fi industry.>>

I think it's the deep mistrust of a very small number of people. I go to three audio shows a year and one of the best parts is talking with audiophiles as equals regarding their experiences—both those who read me and those who don't. There's affection and respect, and it goes both ways. They may all just be talking behind my back but I don't think so. (See Chris's comment above.)

<< Social media, independent websites and tech-affine blogs have created a counterweight to the former almost ideal world of Hi-Fi critics.
Less educated, at times less enthusiastic, perhaps more rude, definately more independent when they want to. And with a different way of making a living from what they do. Even cheap audio men can quit day jobs nowadays -  if the have the right numbers at YT.>>

There's a paradox here. I can't quit my day job but some of these "independent" guys can? Because clicks and "likes" gets them paid substantially more than me, writing as an independent contractor? I'm the "shill?" The motives of "influencers" are generally far from pure.

<< Unfortunately - needless to say this is my opinion - it's the industry you serve which let you down, not the audiophile community.>>

I've written before about an audio ecosystem that includes many constituencies - manufacturers, hobbyists, journalists, recording professionals, musicians, and others. We all should be watching out for each other's interests. That's what will keep this thing going.

Andy

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

Well, I can think of a few writers -and one in particular - who seemed to make a point of writing about MQA files in EVERY review, without exception.

Absolutely no question this was the case, very easy to see, in fact it would have been difficult to miss that this was happening. A few of those writers were pretty much wearing it on their sleeve so to speak. That behavior was evident at a glance, multiple mentions of MQA in every review.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Well, I can think of a few writers -and one in particular - who seemed to make a point of writing about MQA files in EVERY review, without exception.

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Absolutely no question this was the case, very easy to see, in fact it would have been difficult to miss that this was happening. A few of those writers were pretty much wearing it on their sleeve so to speak. That behavior was evident at a glance, multiple mentions of MQA in every review.

I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same guy. For what it's worth, I think he's the least capable writer at his publication - despite being given the most expensive gear to review. His MQA stance, IMO, is part of a generalized narcissism that informs much of his writing. I don't think he's typical of the staff of his magazine and certainly not of mine. 'Nuff said. If you can find mentions of MQA in TAS over the last 5 years (other than to note it, dispassionately, as a feature of a product) cite them. I read the magazine pretty closely aSnd they're not there.

There's another aspect of the MQA rise and fall that I'm willing to discuss openly because I'm honestly unsure of the "right"—as in morally correct—stance. For as long as the issue's been out there, some audiophiles have maintained that a reviewer not savaging MQA was as guilty as being a zealous proponent. I don't think that's fair because an audio publication ought to be able to define what its role is. That role, I feel, can be to inform, entertain, and help with purchasing decisions—that's how John Atkinson explained it to me  years ago. Despite the awards and lists of recommended products, we're not Consumer Reports and certainly a consumer protection agency. I've said many times that this hobby, especially the subjective part of it, is about the point of intersection of art and technology, a perspective that CR can't and won't provide. We can provide some leeway and room for discussion of different points of view. If we don't, I think it's a slippery slope. Should the technological basis of Ted Denney's products be reviled? I don't think so but plenty of  audiophiles facilely  dismiss him as a P.T. Barnum. How about pricey cables? Also a scam? Some people think so. You can see where I'm going with this.

For some reason, most audiophiles have been able to say something like "If you don't think $5000 interconnects make a difference, if you feel that a Vibratron is bullshit, don't buy them" and that's the end of the discussion. Hostilities have been avoided.

Chris has told us about his friendship with Peter McGrath. I've had a close relationship with him myself. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall on that dreary Minnesota afternoon when MQA came up in discussion. I bet it was civil, I bet it was respectful. Two well-informed and experienced individuals expressed opposing ideas (I assume) and no one stomped out in a huff. Face to face, we can be pretty decent to one another.

Andy Quint

7 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

There's another aspect of the MQA rise and fall that I'm willing to discuss openly because I'm honestly unsure of the "right"—as in morally correct—stance. For as long as the issue's been out there, some audiophiles have maintained that a reviewer not savaging MQA was as guilty as being a zealous proponent.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. In this case mine is very different from those suggesting, "a reviewer not savaging MQA was as guilty as being a zealous proponent." I disagree with that stance, but can see why others think it's correct. 

9 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Chris has told us about his friendship with Peter McGrath. I've had a close relationship with him myself. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall on that dreary Minnesota afternoon when MQA came up in discussion. I bet it was civil, I bet it was respectful. Two well-informed and experienced individuals expressed opposing ideas (I assume) and no one stomped out in a huff. Face to face, we can be pretty decent to one another.

I chased him down the block. Only kidding. We actually still talk about it, and we both fully understand each other's position. It's not even a big deal between us. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png