IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

28 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks for your great post. I enjoyed reading it, awesome system!

Based on many tests, I came to the conclusion that the IR is best placed just before my tX USB ultra, so my preference is exactly like yours. So now the tX is between the IR and the Brooklyn.

It seems the three of us are in agreement, then. Have others with similar systems weighed in? (It's been a while since I've tried to catch up on this thread.)

@feelingears and @Johnseye:

I think Johnseye makes an excellent point:  it's too easy to lose the forest when focusing on individual trees when auditioning a component. That's why I like to insert a component and do as much relaxed listening as possible before doing the nitty gritty comparisons. Part of this is just paying attention to your body as you listen -- are you relaxed, receptive, flowing with the music, tapping your toes, etc. Or are you disengaged, tense, thinking about other things?

Of course there could be many reasons for the latter, and that's why you need to listen for longish periods of time to cycle through your moods and ups and downs. When I'm in this relaxed state of mind, I'm not trying to pinpoint differences or worry about how much bigger or smaller the soundstage is (unless it's just popping out at me). I'm really more concerned about the overall gestalt -- is the music drawing me in? In critical listening mode, that's when I start thinking in terms of the usual audiophile labels and I'll be much more conscious about precise differences. 

Feelingears asks if I focus on specific attributes of sound more than others or if I have an "orderly process" for comparing components. Other than what I said above about the overall approach, I don't necessarily have an "orderly process."

Of course I have my personal biases, as all of us do, and most good pro reviewers will explicitly disclose those biases over time. My musical/sonic priorities are these:  

• I want/need to understand the musical intent of the performers -- this is paramount.
  • Listening should be an emotional experience; if I find that I’m thinking too much about the “sound,” then that’s an indication something is off.
  • Tone is critical, in terms of color or timbre, but especially in terms of density and substance.
  • Immediacy and presence are close cousins to tone; I want to hear performers in the room in terms of immediacy, but the stereo system should recover all the air and ambience of the venue when appropriate.
  • Resolution is important, but not at the expense of a natural, fatigue-free listening experience.

Through the years, my analog system has generally bettered my digital system in each of the above areas, though of course it all depends on the quality of the recording, source file, vinyl pressing, etc. 

In the last year, however, I feel that digital has made great strides, and with the help of CA, and this thread in particular, digital is sounding better than ever, rivaling vinyl in general and sounding better in some respects, though yielding a different presentation.  

48 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Received my Paul Hynes SR7 the other day.  Unfortunately I couldn't wait around in the USA any longer and am back here in Costa Rica.  I won't be able to test it out on my system for another year. 

On another note, had to send back my NUC and S-clk EX board to SOtM.  Hopefully we can resolve this issue. 

For now I'm really liking my SQ in my current system below.

Such a bummer; first, you wait a long time to get the Hynes, then you wait another year? On the other hand, you will be in Costa Rica, which certainly has its benefits. 

As someone else who is waiting on a Hynes PSU, I'm curious:  When did you order and pay for your SR7?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I have emailed Sean with your mini review and he was very interested. I think the subtle top end detail provided by installing the Cap Board in the Dave was a large factor in me preferring my ‘pimped’ Dave compared to the Rossini Apex in my recent listening comparison.

Yes, I read your review and it sounded like the top end of the two DACs was a critical factor in your preference for DAVE. I would agree that the caps board's reduction of digital glare in the top end is critical but I also find that the caps board fleshes out a little more detail across the frequency spectrum and this is very welcome in the mid to upper bass range.