IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'm confused by a couple of things @romaz said.

He says 4 clock replacements on the NUC (system, Ethernet, 2X HDMI).  But @austinpop said he did 3 clock replacements ... USB, ethernet and HDMI.  I think Roy and Rajiv are using the same NUC.  Rajiv, why did you do HDMI instead of the system clock?

Why didn't Roy replace the USB clock?  How can he have done 4 clock points if the NUC + tX-USBultra are being clocked by the same sCLK-EX board?  If the board is in the tX-USBultra, it only has 3 available clock points for other devices.

You also raise a good point as to why he didn't mod his USB clocks.  I'll check with him.  I know he also wanted to test out SQ over HDMI at some point in the future.

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

There are 4 clocks but you can use the same sCLK-EX tap for the HDMI ports.

OK good answer, thanks.  I forgot you can daisy chain clocks of the same frequency.  

If all the other clocks are subclocks (dPLL) that cannot be replaced ... is the USB clock a subclock?  If so, how did @austinpop replace his USB clock with a tap from his tX-USBultra?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, rickca said:

OK good answer, thanks.  I forgot you can daisy chain clocks of the same frequency.  

If all the other clocks are subclocks (dPLL) that cannot be replaced ... is the USB clock a subclock?  If so, how did @austinpop replace his USB clock with a tap from his tX-USBultra?

The USB clocks aren't subclocks afaik. 

Just now, Johnseye said:

I wouldn't think so either.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, auricgoldfinger said:

He is positively gushing.

He gushes a lot ... but he's also right!

Well, after several rather dull days here on AS, things kind of 'sploded today.  It's hard to keep up with everyone's experiments.  Plus another killer DAC review from @austinpop.  Thanks to everyone who takes the time to report their discoveries.

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

And remember gents: The actual clock rates in the chips (USB, Ethernet, the processor, etc.) are mostly generated by PLLs internal to them—with not a huge regard for jitter.  They are at rates vastly higher than what the XOs you are supplanting run at.  

I was trying to keep from mentioning @romaz since he's staying off the forums, but since @Johnseye spilled the beans... 

Indeed Roy and I colluded and both sent our i7 NUCs and tX-USBultra to be modded at about the same time. It looks like John's already clarified the clock question. @rickca I did indeed misspeak. It's the system clock, not the USB clock, as Roy explained.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

tX-USBultra

Sorry to be dim but...

... is the tX-USBultra  modified to provide an external clock output back to the NUC which is also modified to accept that?

Also has anyone compared the tX-USBultra to a Mutec 3+ USB/REF10 combo or is this apples to oranges?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

Sorry to be dim but...

... is the tX-USBultra  modified to provide an external clock output back to the NUC which is also modified to accept that?

I believe the Ultra and NUC were both sent to sotm for modification to do the clock upgrades.

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

I was trying to keep from mentioning @romaz since he's staying off the forums, but since @Johnseye spilled the beans... 

Indeed Roy and I colluded and both sent our i7 NUCs and tX-USBultra to be modded at about the same time. It looks like John's already clarified the clock question. @rickca I did indeed misspeak. It's the system clock, not the USB clock, as Roy explained.

Copyrighted and approved by the author before posting on his behalf. ;)

I don't think these results are surprising.  We went through this exercise with the sCLK in the past and I was waiting for confirmation with these NUCs before pulling the trigger myself.  I've had the sNH-10G on loan for a while now and while it is a slight improvement (with master clock using REF10) over the TLS switch, the cost of that switch is 3x the TLS.  Now that I can use the taps from the sCLK in that switch I have further justification for buying it and modding my NUC.  I'm still waiting for Uptone's switch with bated breath.

I also just upgraded my Persona 3F speakers to the 9H, and my projector to the new JVC 4k.  The speakers are a substantial, or in Roy's words HUGE, improvement and run at 96db which opens up some doors if I'd like to try some other stuff out.  Yes, I am gushing over these speakers.  It's my belief that speakers have the biggest impact on sound and these should be my endgame there.

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Sorry to be dim but...

Also has anyone compared the tX-USBultra to a Mutec 3+ USB/REF10 combo or is this apples to oranges?

12 minutes ago, tims said:

I believe the Ultra and NUC were both sent to sotm for modification to do the clock upgrades.

Correct, they were sent to SOtM for mods.  The sCLK-EX board which is included in the tX-USBultra has extra clock taps which can be leveraged for other devices.  There are internal cables run from the sCLK-EX to connectors mounted into the chassis of the tX-USBultra.  Then cables are run from those connectors to similar connectors mounted into the NUC case.  Cables run from each clock tap of the NUC board to those connectors mounted into the NUC.

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Correct, they were sent to SOtM for mods.  The sCLK-EX board which is included in the tX-USBultra has extra clock taps which can be leveraged for other devices.  There are internal cables run from the sCLK-EX to connectors mounted into the chassis of the tX-USBultra.  Then cables are run from those connectors to similar connectors mounted into the NUC case.  Cables run from each clock tap of the NUC board to those connectors mounted into the NUC.

Thanks. Any idea how much the mods cost?

System

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

If you already have an Ultra (tX, sNH-10G) unit with an sCLK-EX board with 3 free clock points, then the cost to mod the i7 NUC, reprogram the sCLK-EX board, and create the SMB inputs and outputs should be in the $600 ballpark. I got some other work done, so my cost was different.

Best is to email May with details. Every project is different.

Is the work done by the US distributor or do you need to ship to Korea?

System

https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11835#p11835

2 months ago, i bought new intel I7 (8 gen) nuc, ssd : samsung 970 evo nvme, mainly for hackintosh. 
player: audirvana or hqplayer.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11885#p11885

received Odroid board, flashed Archphile, 

the sound is much much better than nuc, better than windows + hqplayer, better than mac + audiravana .

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=246908#p246908

We will have a meeting with Intel people in the middle of next week.
I hope there will be a good news but we we have no idea what will happen.

Intel boss: Expect chip shortages into mid-2019, stumbling server processor sales this year
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/25/intels_2018_financials/

Gotta be patient then.