IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Cost is $472 USD without shipping.  If you're using the sCLK board it would probably be cheaper and better synced with your other devices on that board.

If you're using an SR7 or other LPSU for your PC it shouldn't matter that much if at all.

SR7 is too far reaching for most, I suppose and the wait is killing.

Such an audacious price tag (850 bucks) for this toy

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=553122278111
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-535979-1-1.html
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-536681-1-1.html
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-536820-1-1.html
http://www.stereosound.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=5938&page=29

http://www.stereosound.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=7274

89Kgg3B.jpg

7Ig2zWt.jpg

8OnpEGG.jpg

ik42tJy.jpg

z48Pseq.jpg

OCXO turned out to be custom-made as shown in the picture, so far the impressions seemed to be positive as long as USB cables on both ends ain't too bad.

Obviously it's a substantial investment and maybe it's more cost effective to get sCLK-EX with four clocks instead IMHO.

55 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Such an audacious price tag (850 bucks) for this toy

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=553122278111
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-535979-1-1.html
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-536681-1-1.html
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-536820-1-1.html
http://www.stereosound.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=5938&page=29

http://www.stereosound.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=7274

89Kgg3B.jpg

7Ig2zWt.jpg

8OnpEGG.jpg

ik42tJy.jpg

z48Pseq.jpg

OCXO turned out to be custom-made as shown in the picture, so far the impressions seemed to be positive as long as USB cables on both ends ain't too bad.

Obviously it's a substantial investment and maybe it's more cost effective to get sCLK-EX with four clocks instead IMHO.

Was the OXCO wrapped by blanket to keep it warm?

5 hours ago, greenleo said:

SR7 is too far reaching for most, I suppose and the wait is killing.

Comparing the cost of a standard single rail SR7 with the other LPSU options out there, it's not that much more considering what you get.  It's probably the lowest noise producing power supply available.  Using such a low noise supply on the device that's doing all the heavy lifting is a good investment imo.  Throw on a second rail and you can get an even better supply for your endpoint.  Not only that, I can dual purpose mine so that it can power my turntable.  But wait there's more.  If you act now you can get a set of steak knives absolutely free!

Joking aside, the wait is long but I believe worth it.  There are very low cost temporary options available while you wait like the very low cost HDPlex PSU.  

My LPS-1 will then go to power the switch that sits between my NAS and PC.  I recently moved my NAS so the only thing between it and the PC is a low power switch.  I'm waiting for Roy's results on the mobo clock mod, and if it's spectacular (not just a slight improvement), I'll look at sending in a mobo and the switch for an sCLK mod to at least improve the most important clocks.

Other than that it's only the NAS and I'm surprised no one's discussed modifying that clock as it's the first to feed the music.  I wonder if getting the clock timing nailed on the NAS to start the chain with an sCLK, and synced with the last clock in the endpoint has an impact.  Just thinking off the top of my head, if the first and last clock are in sync with either the sCLK quasi master/slave, or true master clock then would all the clocks in between even matter?

22 hours ago, Bamber said:

I have used both a LPS-1 (7v) and the a Zero Zone (7v) with iFi DC iPurifier for the mR.  I couldn't hear a difference between these on the mR.  The RuR is running on a (9v) battery.

Did your SoTM kit need time to burn in?

I've probably used mine for 10 hours so far.

Hi Bamber,

I emailed Sotm about burn in. I have the sms-200 ultra and tx-usb ultra since almost 2 weeks now. 

May Park told me that all sotm products need 1 months to fully burn in. The two first weeks one can hear different performance from the units as often as 2-3 hours in between. After two weeks they have settled more. I can agree to this, It is very much so. For me the sms-200 ultra was a clear improvement even from cold compared to mR.

So for all fair comparisions to be made make sure all units are burnt in as much as possible:)

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

18 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Comparing the cost of a standard single rail SR7 with the other LPSU options out there, it's not that much more considering what you get.  It's probably the lowest noise producing power supply available.  Using such a low noise supply on the device that's doing all the heavy lifting is a good investment imo.  Throw on a second rail and you can get an even better supply for your endpoint.  Not only that, I can dual purpose mine so that it can power my turntable.  But wait there's more.  If you act now you can get a set of steak knives absolutely free!

Joking aside, the wait is long but I believe worth it.  There are very low cost temporary options available while you wait like the very low cost HDPlex PSU.  

My LPS-1 will then go to power the switch that sits between my NAS and PC.  I recently moved my NAS so the only thing between it and the PC is a low power switch.  I'm waiting for Roy's results on the mobo clock mod, and if it's spectacular (not just a slight improvement), I'll look at sending in a mobo and the switch for an sCLK mod to at least improve the most important clocks.

Other than that it's only the NAS and I'm surprised no one's discussed modifying that clock as it's the first to feed the music.  I wonder if getting the clock timing nailed on the NAS to start the chain with an sCLK, and synced with the last clock in the endpoint has an impact.  Just thinking off the top of my head, if the first and last clock are in sync with either the sCLK quasi master/slave, or true master clock then would all the clocks in between even matter?

I do not disagree with your logic but the initial investment is high.  It's not a piece that the majority can afford.  I wish that I could afford the SR7 but I can't right now.  LPS-1 is of more useful features say 3/5/7V outputs with excellent bang for the bucks.

So from @austinpop and I's testing of his stack (LPS-1 powering everything), I reported that the switch adds a naturalness to the sound; while he reported that the image size was increased.

On my switch with the HD-Plex (12V) on the sMS-200 Ultra and a LPS-1 on the switch, the image size seemed bigger, but there was no added naturalness.  Yesterday, we had the switch on a LPS-1 and used two LPS-1 in series on the sMS-200 Ultra, and the naturalness was back, but I didn't notice the image being bigger.  We will try to test this out some more, but I thought the forum may find this interesting.

59 minutes ago, hols said:

I just received my IsoRegen today and I immediately tryied it out onto this USB chain.

Thanks for a very useful post.  Did you try the ISO REGEN/LPS-1 on its own (without tX-USBultra) and compare it to the tX-USBultra on its own?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 hours ago, limniscate said:

So from @austinpop and I's testing of his stack (LPS-1 powering everything), I reported that the switch adds a naturalness to the sound; while he reported that the image size was increased.

On my switch with the HD-Plex (12V) on the sMS-200 Ultra and a LPS-1 on the switch, the image size seemed bigger, but there was no added naturalness.  Yesterday, we had the switch on a LPS-1 and used two LPS-1 in series on the sMS-200 Ultra, and the naturalness was back, but I didn't notice the image being bigger.  We will try to test this out some more, but I thought the forum may find this interesting.

May I suggest that you try powering the switch with battery and the charger disconnected from AC mains. IME especially network switches sounds best with battery power. I strongly believe switches kick a lot of noises back into the AC mains. 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, greenleo said:

LPS-1 is of more useful features say 3/5/7V outputs with excellent bang for the bucks.

The SR3 alone is very competitive with LPS-1. I have one with variable output 5/7/9/12V and 2.5A (10A transient) with high grade silver contacts for the rotary switch and connectors.  It might be a little more than LPS-1 but definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, mozes said:

I received today my VR Mini and wasted no  time, plugged it in the system and ran the tests that I mentioned in a previous thread. I will provide a score out of 100 just to show the magnitude of the differences. These are all my subjective scores with my subjective ears

Test 1: objective is to find if there is a difference to where you place the Iso-Regen before or after the tX-USB ultra. so I compared two scenarios:

1-Nimitra>Iso-Regen (USPCB)>tX>Brooklyn: 95

2-Nimitra>tX>Iso-Regen (USPCB)>Brooklyn: 83

Very easy test, scenario 1 sounds significantly better. No need to go into details, but simply all what you look for was better, naturalness, body, sound stage depth and width

Test 2: Objective is to compare Iso-Regen with the USPCB and tX-USBultra, so I compared two scenarios:

1-Nimitra>tX>Brooklyn: 79

2-Nimitra>Iso-Regen (USPCB)>Brooklyn:76

My gear is powered as follows:

Nimitra: VR Mini 1

tX-USB Ultra: Flagship Nikola LPS (12V)

Is-Regen: LPS-1

Brooklyn: VR Mini 2

Overall, the best value is Iso-Regen (it is very close like 95% of the tX at 1/3 of the price, ) buit if you want absolutely the best then the wonderful amazing performance of the Iso-Regen in front of the tX is something to be heard to know what digital with a USB chain can do these days!

I won't go into technical details of whats going on, I will leave this to other more knowledgeable members, but I will say that the results match my expectations.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.  I guess now we may confirm that the clock of txUltra is better than that of the IR.  Also, the SQ of IR followed by txUltra  is much better than txUltra alone, right?

29 minutes ago, greenleo said:

we may confirm that the clock of txUltra is better than that of the IR

I'm not sure we can definitively say that the SQ difference is attributable to the clock.  SOtM hasn't published any technical performance data for sCLK-EX as far as I know.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

30 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'm not sure we can definitively say that the SQ difference is attributable to the clock.  SOtM hasn't published any technical performance data for sCLK-EX as far as I know.

I agree with @rickca.  The Singxer SU-1 also uses the Crystek 975, and both @austinpopand I thought it sounded better than the dX-USB Ultra (with and without the tX in the chain).  The dX-USB Ultra even had the advantage of being powered by two LPS-1, whereas the Singxer SU-1 was stock.

Very interesting, thanks.  I can understand the ISO Regen preceding the Txusbultra as being the most favorable SQ for Mozes.  I'm sure the galvanic isolation helps both clocks (cleaner power operation, less jitter) in the regen and ultra.  But I can only beg to ask the question, after Limniscate's find on SU-1, what if we cascaded two ISO Regens without the galvanic isolation on the second downstream ISO Regen?  How would that compare?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, greenleo said:

Thank you.  I guess now we may confirm that the clock of txUltra is better than that of the IR.  Also, the SQ of IR followed by txUltra  is much better than txUltra alone, right?

Yes especially IR followed by tX, there is a great synergy in this combo 

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Very interesting, thanks.  I can understand the ISO Regen preceding the Txusbultra as being the most favorable SQ for Mozes.  I'm sure the galvanic isolation helps both clocks (cleaner power operation, less jitter) in the regen and ultra.  But I can only beg to ask the question, after Limniscate's find on SU-1, what if we cascaded two ISO Regens without the galvanic isolation on the second downstream ISO Regen?  How would that compare?

What is your thinking here? Do you have a specific hypothesis you like to test?

Interesting thought!

5 minutes ago, mozes said:

What is your thinking here? Do you have a specific hypothesis you like to test?

Interesting thought!

I'm just thinking that you may get fairly close to the ISO Regen/TxUSB Ultra combo at half the total cost.  Also the ISO Regens are much friendlier cascaded with the new adapter.  You can even use the same LPS-1 power supply for both Regens, no penalty, for a further reduction in cost.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)