IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Sounds like you have the recipe for the perfect switch, Alex. I wish I knew some of this before I sent out this cheap Trend Net switch for clock modification. It indeed has this "GREENnet" power saving feature and I was suspicious of it but went with it anyway since I already owned this switch and had it lying around. I'm always looking forward to anything you and John come up with. I hope your audiophile switch becomes a reality sooner than later.

Good to know about the Broadcoms. Both my LAN ports (Mac Mini + Thunderbolt LAN) are Broadcoms. Definitely no complaints.

One interesting thing to note is that old switches tend to sound better than new ones. Modern switch chips tend to turn off most of the circuitry in between packets, this produces large transients on the power/ground planes. The old chips were designed in an era where going for low power was not the highest priority in the chip design, thus they usually do not generate nearly as much PG noise as newer designs.

I'm running my microRendu from an old 100Mb switch that is at least 10 years old and has a linear power supply, with this driving the microRendu I don't seem to have much of the issues all of you are having with different cables etc.

(Uh Oh, I think I just started a buying frenzy for old switches on ebay)

John S.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Having personally experienced the improvement wrought by this Ethernet regeneration, the next question is, indeed, where do manufacturers go from here?

@JohnSwenson, who is consistently honest and candid in these forums, has stated that this is an area he is interested in, and the science of what we're hearing is not well understood. I hope I paraphrased his views correctly.

Even if the science behind these improvements on the Ethernet is not yet baked, several questions arise going forward:

1. what makes the SOtM sCLK-EX so special, as to surpass previous reclocked TCXO/OCXO switch offerings like the Pang, the AQvox, etc, that Roy had heard?
  2. how will SOtM modularize their offering? Right now, they have a single clock board - sCLK-EX - with 4 taps that they distribute both internally and externally. This approach is inherently limited by the length of the clock wire. What would make sense is to figure out a way to embed a fit-for-purpose sCLK-EX in each component. The current Ultra approach is wasteful and expensive - i.e. embed a full-size sCLK-EX board in each Ultra component.
  3. how will other manufacturers respond? And will we see new designs that compete with, and even exceed the SOtM solution, at equal or lower prices? As consumers, I sure hope so!

As I often like to say - it's an exciting time to be a computer audiophile! :D

I have not measured any of these clocks so I can't comment on their relative performance. But I can give some general observations.

First a clock in a real system can be very different than a clock being measured by itself. The phase noise of ALL clocks will change depending on noise on the power and ground network feeding the clock. So what is happening with other circuitry around a clock can significantly degrade its output from what you see in a spec sheet.

The lowest phase noise clocks are OCXOs, but not all OCXOs have very low phase noise. There are quite a few inexpensive OCXOs (less than say $150) that have worse phase noise than a 575.

The result is that just because two devices have OCXOs, does not mean they have identical jitter performance.

John S.

36 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for these insights!

I cannot tell from the sCLK-EX Press release or its product page any mention of TCXO or OCXO, so one has to presume the claims come from the overall board design, not the actual crystal oscillator.

@JohnSwenson - where does the oscillator used in the ISO-Regen (the Crystek 575?) fit into the XO/TCXO/OCXO taxonomy?

The 575 is an XO, but one of the best ones out there.

John S.

13 minutes ago, rickca said:

John, where does VCXO fit in the hierarchy you described?

The specs of my Jeff Rowland Aeris say

20 bit dynamic range Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillators (VCXO)
44.1 kHz and 48 kHz    < 1 picosecond RMS jitter

A VCXO is an XO with a circuit that varies the frequency from an externally applied voltage. Again noise on that voltage and the noise of the extra circuitry increase the jitter.

As mentioned before a single jitter number is almost useless. The number is an integration of the area under the phase noise curve. When doing the integration you have to choose the frequency range to use for the integration, for exactly the same oscillator changing the range can vary the "jitter number" by a factor 100!

Thus specifying a number without the lower and upper frequency limits is pretty much useless. You might be able to compare oscillators if the limits are exactly the same, but even then a true phase noise plot is much better.

The manufacturers love to choose the points to get the lowest number of course. If an oscillator really is good the manufacturer will usually specify the range to show it off. If not specified that is usually good indication that the device may not be the best and the manufacturer is playing some "specmenship" games.

John S.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, austinpop said:

You're right - I will have to try this out for myself. For now, I have been taking the LPS-1 claim of leakage current isolation at face value, unless there is a published metric I missed.

I have built a power supply leakage tester, again a single number is not nearly as useful as a leakage VS frequency graph. When I put the LPS-1 on the tester it shows a flat line right at the absolute floor of the tester.

Alex has a policy of not showing measurements of his products VS named products of other companies so I will not say how that compares to other specific supplies. I can say that nothing else I measured comes close.

I don't have a good way right now to calibrate these graphs to come up exactly what those leakage currents are, but I CAN say the floor of the tester is about 500,000 times lower than the maximum leakage I measured, the LPS-1 is going to be less than that.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 6:21 PM, austinpop said:

I am not a clock expert, but I think the answer is no.

Word clock is usually used to refer to clocks that are equal to or (sub-) multiples of the audio data rates of 44.1 or 48 KHz.

The sCLK-EX mods actually supply a 25MHz clock to the switch. As I understand it, this is neither a conventional word clock, nor a reference clock. At this point, I only know of SOtM providing this kind of clock improvement.

In this case the 25 MHz IS a reference clock. To my mind a reference clock is one that is used as the reference to a PLL, frequently a PLL used in a frequency synthesizer of some sort. In the case of an Ethernet switch chip the 25MHz feeds a PLL which generates the 125MHz clock which is actually used for the Ethernet data rate. (both 100Mb and 1Gb use 125 Mega Samples per Second on the wire).

So Yes it is being used as a reference clock. MANY clocks in digital systems are used this way. USB chips definitely do this (you feed 24MHz in and the data rate is at 480Mb/s), most of the clocks in a motherboard are generated by PLLs from lower frequency "reference clocks".

A fair number of DAC chips also have PLLs that generate the internal clocks from an external reference clock.

The Sotm clock board has a reference oscillator and a PLL based frequency synthesizer  that can generate 4 independent frequencies. If you want to you can also use it with an external reference clock. 

John S.

16 minutes ago, rickca said:

My solution is just using USB3 bus power for the iGalvanic3.0 and its GI USB NIC.  Will it get better with cleaner power?  We do have the option of using iFi's bundled iDefender with either an LPS-1 or a 5V power bank.

My question to @JohnSwenson is this ... you said leakage currents can go right through Ethernet transceivers.  Would the iGalvanic3.0 stop this on its own, or do we need the bus powered by iDefender/LPS-1?

As an alternative, we could introduce a switch powered by an LPS-1 or 5V power bank between the USB3 ethernet NIC and the microRendu.  This would be especially helpful if it also had a good clock.

So I'm trying to extend this thread's original idea with John's comments in this post

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/35129-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-microrendu-ultrarendu/?do=findComment&comment=713210

You can use this same approach to galvanically isolate your music files.  Just substitute an external SATA SSD like a Samsung T5 or a bus-powered USB3 hard drive enclosure (with 2.5" drives) for the USB3 ethernet adapter.  I haven't tried this yet.  I'm a bit concerned whether sufficient current will get through the iGalvanic3.0 to satisfy these bus-powered devices.

Many thanks to @lmitche for coming up with these creative ideas with his Adnaco S3B solution.  I hope my adaptation hasn't totally messed them up.

Most SMPS have a fairly large amount of high frequency leakage current that is very high in frequency, at very high impedance. An Ethernet transformer has to pass high frequencies (that's what it DOES), the attenuation of lower frequencies is not a brick wall, it increases as the frequency goes down. Thus the higher frequencies of the leakage current will not be attenuated very much and the lower frequencies will be attenuated a fair amount.

I have no idea how this works with an iGalvanic. I don't have one to test.

The main takeaway is that linear supplies always have much lower high frequency leakage than SMPS, so when in doubt, use a linear supply and you will almost always be better off than trying to clean up the mess from an SMPS. The qulity of regulator etc has NOTHING to do with the leakage, so even a cheap one will have much lower leakage than an SMPS.

I have a Baaske on order so maybe late this week I can do some tests and see what it does.

John S.

28 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi John,

Just following up on your point about 50 ohm vs 75 ohm - is there a standard, or a specification that one can reference, that applies to both variants? For example, if I have understood this right, 50 ohm cable is supposed to conform to the RG58 specification, and 75 ohm  cable to RG59. Is there a similar designation for 50 vs. 75 ohm BNC plugs?

There are 50 ohm and 75 ohm cables and 50 ohm and 75 ohm plugs, just make sure you match them.

RG-58 is a 50 ohm cable, RG-59 is a 75 ohm cable. They do not "define the spec" for 50 or 75 ohm cables, they are just particular implementations of a 50 ohm or 75 ohm cable. There are hundreds of different 50 and 75 ohm cables (more 50 than 75), they are all the correct impedance but vary in other parameters such as diameter, flexibility, attenuation, power handling capability (for transmitters) and of course cost. If you want to overwhelmed take a look a www.pasternak.com, they have a very BROAD range of coax cables. You can get pretty much anything you could possibly ever want from them.

BTW if you want what is possibly the best coax for handling a clock you should try a semi rigid assembly from them. It is essential thin walled copper tubing with a center conductor, you "form" it to the path you want, it stays in that configuration until you "form" it again to a different path. And not cheap, they are in the $10 per foot range or more.

John S.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:33 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

Both the LPS-1 and sPS-500 are more transparent and detailed with better separation relative to the JS-2.  They improved the macro- and micro-dynamics of the microRendu.  With the stock sPS-500 A/C power cable, the two supplies are comparable, but the LPS-1 does seem to have a slight edge.  Given the cost differential, if I only wanted to power a single 3.3V, 5V, or 7V device, the LPS-1 is possibly the better choice.  (In my case, I was fortunate to buy a 1-month old sPS-500 for the price of a new LPS-1.)

The Pangea A/C power cable greatly enhances soundstage dimensionality and imparts a sense of realism that makes the LPS-1 sound lean in comparison.  Please note that this particular Pangea cable is relatively inexpensive and would never be confused with a reference power cable.

I am not the first person to have noticed the importance of the A/C power cable: 

What are you powering the LPS-1 from? Have you tried powering it from the JS-2? If you use the Mean Well you can get high frequency noise getting into your system back through the AC mains. Some systems are sensitive to this and others are not.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thyname said:

Excellent write up!

For the quoted phrase above, are you saying that when connecting the endpoint / streamer (such as microRendu or sMS-200) to that switch, nothing else should go to that switch (i.e. Apple TV, Xbox, etc)?

The switches mentioned are only 1/100 switches so cannot handle gigabit Ethernet. If you need gigabit for other devices go ahead and run them through a separate gigabit switch, using the FS108 or FS105 on a connection to the audio device.

I did not spend a lot of time trying all kinds of different configurations, in my tests I had the FS105 etc with just two connections, one to my main gigabit switch and one to the streamer. That does not mean that is the only configuration that will work, just that I didn't test any other configurations.

One thing I did find is that it is important to leave an empty port next to the one going to the endpoint. For example if the endpoint is on port 1, don't plug anything into port 2. (its actually more complex than that, sometimes you CAN plug something in next to the endpoint connection, but always leaving the ports next to it free will guarantee you don't have a problem).

John S.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

John,

Is grounding necessary if using an LPS-1 to power the switch?

YES, the grounding on the negative of the supply feeding the switch shunts the high impedance leakage coming from the network. So if using an LPS-1 you must ground the OUTPUT so the negative going into the switch is properly grounded.

John S.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Ah - you mean the SMPS energizing supply for the LPS-1 - aka Meanwell?

Also, @JohnSwenson - do you know what the FS105/FS108 are doing that is unique to suppress leakage through the transformers in the signal path? 

No I don't know what is special about these. Someday I MIGHT look into that, but it is complicated by many of these switches using magnetics that are very hard to find data on. The large companies frequently get custom magnetics from manufacturers in China making this task almost impossible.

John S.

1 minute ago, rickca said:

@JohnSwenson why don't they make most SMPS with negative output grounded in the first place?  Is there a safety or cost issue?

Grounding the output opens the possibility of a good old fashioned ground loop (magnetic induction from hot wires to ground wire causing voltage difference between branches of the electrical wiring or long distances on the same circuit). But not grounding lets the high impedance leakage pass through to the output.

Nobody else even seems to be looking at high impedance leakage, I didn't even know about it until two months ago. It is so high an impedance that normal test equipment shorts it to ground and you never see it. The problem is that its effects ARE showing up in audio systems (not all and not in the same way in all systems, of course it can't be anything simple). I had to build my own test equipment to even see it.

A good part of the problem is that almost all the original work on leakage currents took place many years before the advent of SMPS so they were just looking at linear power supplies, which don't have the high impedance leakage. Its a fairly recent issue, significantly exacerbated by computers and computer networks involved in our audio systems. (since these almost always use SMPS)

John S.

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I feel like I'm hearing conflicting things. At the risk of sounding dense, John, please help me understand. In my case, the chain is:

• AC mains > Meanwell SMPS (7.5V) > LPS-1 (7V) > switch

Should I ground the output of the Meanwell, the LPS-1, or both?

To get the full advantage of using the FS105/FS108 you need to ground the output of the LSP-1 (or any other power supply you use). Grounding the INPUT to the LPS-1 will not make any difference.  You can do it if you want to, but it will not improve anything in this scenario.

John S.

3 hours ago, Forehaven said:

Careful guys. I just bought this from the Amazon link, and I was sent FS105NA Version 3 that uses 12v's.  Only Version 2 uses 7.5v.  So I gotta return this one and buy elsewhere I guess.

No need, both the 7.5V and the 12V ones work fine. I originally tested the 7.5V since that was all I had, then I bought the 12V ones and tried them and they did the same thing.

The problem here is that I have posted information on this in at least three different threads and information seems to get dissipated rather rapidly.

John S.