IGNORED

Microrendu vs SMS200

Attached drives will not have SATA filters built into them and let's assume 50% of them are bus powered. Bus powered or not they all have ground connections via the USB connection. Using a powered drive can introduce a ground loop, defeat any inherent isolation in an isolated power supply feeding the endpoint and add drive noise.

Can I understand this as using USB disks on the SonicTransporter, may not be the best option ?

Can I understand this as using USB disks on the SonicTransporter, may not be the best option ?

sonicTransporter is meant to be a server so you have to hang drives on it:) Also, it's isolated from the endpoint over the network. What we are discussing here is a drive connected directly to an endpoint.

Doesn't it depend on whether the sonicTransporter is being used to decode & play the audio files, that attached storage drive noise can potentially become an issue? So:

- using the sonicTransporter to run media file server(s) for UPnP/DLNA or Squeezebox type network audio players on the network, aka renderers aka streamers, then No.

- using the sonicTransporter to run RoonServer for Roon EndPoints on the network and/or HQPlayer for NAAs on the network (ie, the sonicTransporter actually decoding and playing audio files), then potentially Yes.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Doesn't it depend on whether the sonicTransporter is being used to decode & play the audio files, that attached storage drive noise can potentially become an issue? So:

- using the sonicTransporter to run media file server(s) for UPnP/DLNA or Squeezebox type network audio players on the network, aka renderers aka streamers, then No.

- using the sonicTransporter to run RoonServer for Roon EndPoints on the network and/or HQPlayer for NAAs on the network (ie, the sonicTransporter actually decoding and playing audio files), then potentially Yes.

Is that a question or an opinio. You will find these kinds of question will yield different points of view depending on who you ask. FYI sonicTransporter does not run HQ Player.

Anyway, the discussion here is about drives connected directly to an endpoint and the affect of electrical noise from that connection. However, if your concerned is about a server playing music and streaming to an endpoint...I suppose the thought of an endpoint playing music from an attached drive might keep you up at night:)

Nope, most definitely a question and actually very hard not to ask it without a bit of tongue in cheek :) You did set the precedent of avoiding hard disk drives attached to the player device yourself a few posts back, you know :rolleyes:

Apologies if the sonicTransporter doesn't run HQPlayer, I was referring to this device with the same name on the Small Green Computer site:

sonicTransporter for HQplayer + Roon Server

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Nope, most definitely a question and actually very hard not to ask it without a bit of tongue in cheek :) You did set the precedent of avoiding hard disk drives attached to the player device yourself a few posts back, you know :rolleyes:

Apologies if the sonicTransporter doesn't run HQPlayer, I was referring to this device with the same name on the Small Green Computer site:

sonicTransporter for HQplayer + Roon Server

HaHa. Again, we are discussing a different configuration here.

The website says, "The sonicTransporter for HQplayer + Roon Server is very different from our other servers. It runs Windows 10 not our Sonicorbiter OS."

I use my sMS-200 just as a Roon endpoint. So, no USB drives hooked. In this mode it draws a bit more than 0.03A (when the sMS-200 is booting it draws up to 0.14something A). The power consumption is about 3.6 -3.9W. Hope that helps a bit.

Assuming you're using 9 V to measure that current draw (worst case), and assuming a max draw of 0.2 A (instantaneous, during boot up), then max instantaneous power consumption is 0.2 A * 9 V = 1.8 W, probably about 0.3 W continuous.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Originally Posted by vortecjr

IMO the best connected drive is no connected drive.
Anyway, the discussion here is about drives connected directly to an endpoint and the affect of electrical noise from that connection.

Please elaborate; are you indicating that the ideal drive is one internal to a device so there is no external connectivity, no external connections to "muck up" the sound?

Thanks.

Just an observation, but there have been very few posts actually comparing the SMS-200 with the microRendu. Even less covering the topic of sound quality comparisons. Anyone planning such a test?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Just an observation, but there have been very few posts actually comparing the SMS-200 with the microRendu. Even less covering the topic of sound quality comparisons. Anyone planning such a test?

I have been listening to my microRendu with the Sonore signature series power supply, my dac is the Chord Dave dac, for two hours, and it sounds fantastic.

I am supposed to receive the SMS-200 tomorrow and will insert that where the microRendu was and do a quick comparison.

I have been listening to my microRendu with the Sonore signature series power supply, my dac is the Chord Dave dac, for two hours, and it sounds fantastic.

I am supposed to receive the SMS-200 tomorrow and will insert that where the microRendu was and do a quick comparison.

Excellent news, I look forward to reading your observations, and I'm sure quite a few others will be very interested in this too. I know the DAVE is a very fine & revealing beast, so this makes for a great test. One thought from myself, I think if I was doing this kind of comparison, I would probably want to set the SMS-200 up, enjoy it for a week or so, let it settle in, (and let my brain and ears get used to it) then do the A/B test with the mR. OK, if I'm honest I'd probably be impatient and also do the quick comparison you mention, but I would take a longer term approach also. Anyway, how you choose to do this is entirely your prerogative, I do not want to sound too demanding, and whatever you elect to do, I for one will be fascinated to read your observations, whatever they might be. Good luck getting it up and running!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Excellent news, I look forward to reading your observations, and I'm sure quite a few others will be very interested in this too. I know the DAVE is a very fine & revealing beast, so this makes for a great test. One thought from myself, I think if I was doing this kind of comparison, I would probably want to set the SMS-200 up, enjoy it for a week or so, let it settle in, (and let my brain and ears get used to it) then do the A/B test with the mR. OK, if I'm honest I'd probably be impatient and also do the quick comparison you mention, but I would take a longer term approach also. Anyway, how you choose to do this is entirely your prerogative, I do not want to sound too demanding, and whatever you elect to do, I for one will be fascinated to read your observations, whatever they might be. Good luck getting it up and running!

Good advice, my SMS-200 is stuck at Los Angeles Fed Ex, still being sorted, hopefully it will be sent tomorrow.

Ok got it (SMS-200) it was a snap to get it up and running, after a quick update, just replacing the microRendu with the SMS-200 and typing in the address .

First off I listened to the microRendu for 2 hours while I waited for Fed Ex and it sounds excellent, so I have a good idea of a comparison.

The SMS-200 in my opinion is fuller sounding, slightly more detailed then the microRendu, but to me, it's close. My opinion may change since this is a quick first observation.

Ok got it (SMS-200) it was a snap to get it up and running, after a quick update, just replacing the microRendu with the SMS-200 and typing in the address .

First off I listened to the microRendu for 2 hours while I waited for Fed Ex and it sounds excellent, so I have a good idea of a comparison.

The SMS-200 in my opinion is fuller sounding, slightly more detailed then the microRendu, but to me, it's close. My opinion may change since this is a quick first observation.

Sonic77: I am also a Chord DAVE owner and will soon be deciding between the mR and SMS-200. I would love to hear your further and more detailed impressions over the next week if possible. Thanks!

Sonic77: I am also a Chord DAVE owner and will soon be deciding between the mR and SMS-200. I would love to hear your further and more detailed impressions over the next week if possible. Thanks!

After further listening, I prefer the SMS-200 it just "sounds" better in to me, but as always YMMV. The sound seems to have come forward in that it seems to show more detail, it's more refined, just clearer sounding. The microRendu is also very good at extracting the detail, but the SMS-200 is somehow better. I am hearing way more detail in the background sounds, and voice inflections, I never noticed with the microRendu. I don't need to decide any further, it's clear to me my preference. Good luck to you, and listen to many opinions, to help form your own. Here is a video on the SMS-200, if you haven't seen it yet https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sotm+sms-200&&view=detail&mid=D27A68CD86C39D525286D27A68CD86C39D525286&FORM=VRDGAR

Thank you for your impressions, Sonic77. So far, there aren't many folks who have listened to both the SMS-200 and mR, so we are still in the early stages of feedback. Nevertheless, my sense is that those who have heard both tend to prefer the SMS-200, while being careful to say that the mR is a great product and worthy of praise. What power supply are you using with the SMS-200, if I may ask?

Thank you for your impressions, Sonic77. So far, there aren't many folks who have listened to both the SMS-200 and mR, so we are still in the early stages of feedback. Nevertheless, my sense is that those who have heard both tend to prefer the SMS-200, while being careful to say that the mR is a great product and worthy of praise. What power supply are you using with the SMS-200, if I may ask?

I'm currently using the Sonore Signature power supply, but I have the iFi 9v power plug and the sotm mbps d2s battery supply, and the HD Plex power supply, which I have not used yet, so I have some "power" choices to experiment with in reserve.

I'm currently using the Sonore Signature power supply, but I have the iFi 9v power plug and the sotm mbps d2s battery supply, and the HD Plex power supply, which I have not used yet, so I have some "power" choices to experiment in reserve.

Thanks for your impressions.

I am guessing from your setup description that you did not use any isolation on either your network or USB chain? By isolation, I mean FMCs, Regen, Intona etc. or indeed power supplies like the LPS-1.

Just checking.

In fact, it would be nice if you could enumerate your audio system from end to end.

Thanks again.

Initially I was quite impressed with the sMS-200 detail retrieval. Once the novelty wore off - not so much. I was using the stock wall wart which might have had a negative effect but nonetheless...

For what it's worth Michael Lavorgna preferred the microRendu over the $3500 SOtM sMS-1000SQ. Yet his product of the year award went to the $1100 Elac Discovery DS-S101-G. The mR was one of the runner ups. Go figure.

Still waiting for Darko to pronounce himself on product of the year. I may be wrong but I have a hunch that it might be the mR.

Thanks for your impressions.

I am guessing from your setup description that you did not use any isolation on either your network or USB chain? By isolation, I mean FMCs, Regen, Intona etc. or indeed power supplies like the LPS-1.

Just checking.

In fact, it would be nice if you could enumerate your audio system from end to end.

Thanks again.

No, although I do have the Regen too, maybe I should dig that out and try it.

Nas, SMS-200, Chord Dave Dac, XSP-1 Gen 2, Marantz 8802a, XPR-1's, Magnepan 3.7i's

If your finding that the Regen/Intona have an impact on SQ after the mR or SMS-200, then maybe it's time to reevaluate a direct USB stream from the CAPS involving the LPS-1 to power the USB audio card/Intona/Regen. No need to go so far off the ranch if it doesn't solve dirty USB SQ. Remain in the USB direct stream only with cleaner power.

That's my take so far from what I've read here on the forum. And yes, the LPS-1 made a dramatic improvement in USB only streaming SQ.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

If your finding that the Regen/Intona have an impact on SQ after the mR or SMS-200, then maybe it's time to reevaluate a direct USB stream from the CAPS involving the LPS-1 to power the USB audio card/Intona/Regen. No need to go so far off the ranch if it doesn't solve dirty USB SQ. Remain in the USB direct stream only with cleaner power.

That's my take so far from what I've read here on the forum. And yes, the LPS-1 made a dramatic improvement in USB only streaming SQ.

I agree, no Regen needs to be added, and power supply's do make a difference, a big difference.

I'm evaluating both right now.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3