IGNORED

Microrendu vs SMS200

Hi,

Looking forward to consult opinions on which one has better SQ and stable software. Will be deciding soon. Thanks!

I think you may have to wait until there are professional reviews of the 200 byb someone who's reviewed/owns the mR. Not too many people are going to buy both.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Forget about comparisons....kinda curious why there are no posts as to the SOUND of the SMS200 based on its' own merit.

because very few are on the market, especially very few in the states, where they aren't officially distributed yet.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Forget about comparisons....kinda curious why there are no posts as to the SOUND of the SMS200 based on its' own merit.

On its own merits? Well, that's easy: it sounds absolutely wonderful. To me what impresses is a lack of glare coupled with a free-flowing, organic and "stable" presentation. The "attentiveness" of the sound is also something that strikes me; the presentation is contrasted in a way making it stand out in unforced clarity, the sonic images just hanging in the air. Dynamics are explosive, resolution seems endless, and the overall tonal balance I'd describe as naturally warm; not too warm, but just right. To begin with I found the sound ever so slightly lean, but whether a sign of habit or the unit being progressively run-in (I strongly suspect the latter), I find it now has a pleasing fullness.

And there's more to come obviously: I'll soon add SOtM's own 9V battery PSU (currently using the standard PSU that came with the sMS-200), there're upcoming firmware updates, and I've yet to experiment with ROON (which I believe many feels is the best sounding combo with the mR). Currently running in DLNA-mode with Kazoo as control point.

EDIT: I believe Chris has a review of the sMS-200 in the coming, so we'll have that shootout soon enough, or at least in the coming months. AudioStream also will be putting the sMS-200 under critical gaze in the near future.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

In my case, I am somewhat barred from saying much because I use Roon which is not officially supported yet. NAA is coming out still in August.

All I can say in short is it sounds clean, transparent, and open - just what I am looking for in a music player. A testament to SOtM's drive design-in clean power in all their products. I am also using LH Labs LPS4 to power it up so that helps.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting the youtube-review of the SOtM sMS-200 (and comparison with the microRendu), Distinctive. Perhaps this can be instrumental in turning the rather singular mR-tide and shed some more light on and attention towards the sMS-200's potential.

My sMS-200 will hopefully land from South Korea next week where it has been gigabit-speed upgraded.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Hans review in the end said that with both powered by the S-booster, the SMS-200 was "a tad" better.

It may also be true that which one is better depends on the PS. Not for sure that every PS will effect both devices equally.

In most places the SMS-200 will be less expensive, so that is definitely in its favor.

Just a comment regarding PS;

The Uptone LPS-1 cannot be used to drive the SOtM-200 even if it can be run as low 6.5VDC (7VDC output from the LPS-1). The reason is that it pulls more than the max. allowed 1.1A. The nominal power consumption is rated to 15W.

This favors the üRendu to some extent.

It would be nice if Hans could review the LPS-1, preferably with the üR.

Just a comment regarding PS;

The Uptone LPS-1 cannot be used to drive the SOtM-200 even if it can be run as low 6.5VDC (7VDC output from the LPS-1). The reason is that it pulls more than the max. allowed 1.1A. The nominal power consumption is rated to 15W.

This favors the üRendu to some extent.

It would be nice if Hans could review the LPS-1, preferably with the üR.

It is by no means certain yet that the LPS-1 can't power an sMS-200. While the standard PS that comes with the sMS-200 may be rated at 15W, that tells us nothing about what the unit draws.

For example, our REGEN comes with a 22 watt/2.93 amp PS, but in reality draws between 0.05A-0.6A (depending upon the VBUS draw of the DAC). And I personally measured a microRendu's DC draw at about 0.4A.

So until someone either tries an LPS-1 with the sMS-200 or simply measures its actual DC draw (quite easy with a DC barrel plug extension cable cut in the middle to insert an ammeter/multimeter), nobody knows if an UltraCap LPS-1 can be used or not with the SOtM device.

Hans review in the end said that with both powered by the S-booster, the SMS-200 was "a tad" better.

It may also be true that which one is better depends on the PS. Not for sure that every PS will effect both devices equally.

In most places the SMS-200 will be less expensive, so that is definitely in its favor.

I guess it's a matter of focus on what the reviewer Hans is saying. To many an audiophile "a tad" is a noteworthy difference, making it the deciding factor when it comes to purchase - not least at a lower price (some would pay rather dearly for increments of sonic advancement), effectively turning it into a no-brainer. As Hans concludes, he would choose the sMS-200 over the mR, but stresses that the latter is still a great sounding unit.

Regarding the importance of PSU implementation it seems to me a great PSU is a great PSU, irrespective of implementation (with this kind of low power requirement hardware), but I could be (and possibly am) wrong. Myself I'm using the sMS-200 with SOtM's battery PSU, but am interested in learning from others who've had experience using both a quality battery and a quality linear PSU. Upon inquiring on the manufacturer whether their upcoming dedicated linear PSU to the sMS-200 would be an upgrade over their existing battery ditto, I was advised to stay with the battery solution for sheer SQ.

To me the deciding factor here is hearing from a reviewer - who knows the sonics of the mR from daily use - that the sMS-200 is (easily) in the same sonic ballpark as the mR. That doesn't necessarily make it right for everyone, but it's still an indication of where the SOtM unit stands sonically.

It is by no means certain yet that the LPS-1 can't power an sMS-200. While the standard PS that comes with the sMS-200 may be rated at 15W, that tells us nothing about what the unit draws.

For example, our REGEN comes with a 22 watt/2.93 amp PS, but in reality draws between 0.05A-0.6A (depending upon the VBUS draw of the DAC). And I personally measured a microRendu's DC draw at about 0.4A.

So until someone either tries an LPS-1 with the sMS-200 or simply measures its actual DC draw (quite easy with a DC barrel plug extension cable cut in the middle to insert an ammeter/multimeter), nobody knows if an UltraCap LPS-1 can be used or not with the SOtM device.

I hear you, however when it reads 'Power: Max 15W' it leaves an impression on my behalf that it consumes up to 15W worst case, e.g. during power up?

More competition with renderer from i-Cat, will need Google Translate set to on. There are several models including one that has MacMini dimensions, the new model has NAA, Tidal, DLNA, Roon, Remote Desktop, Jriver, Spotify even Netflix.

The site is a reseller for player software, they even have a tricked Asus mobo with their audio OS.

The pdf's are in Japanese, so finding the detail will take some time unless someone knows where to look, thanks.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

My sMS-200 will hopefully land from South Korea next week where it has been gigabit-speed upgraded.

It's worth the wait. I am enjoying mine immensely.

Does that Gigabit upgrade improve the sound? :) As I have read somewhere Jesus from Sonore didn't want Gigabit for the µRendu. Hmm sending to Korea for that upgrade.. According to the FAQs and the serial number of my sMS-200 I had to follow these steps: http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/09/How-to-enable-sMS-200-to-the-Gigabit-Ethernet-support_3.pdf?189db0

Disassembling the case is not a problem but I would be afraid of the 'removing the C670 Chip Capacitor' thing.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Does that Gigabit upgrade improve the sound?

If I am reading it correctly, my serial # is MP0130 so all I need is the software update, no surgery for mine.

But I only have it hooked up to a 100Mb network, I think. I do not have a way to tell what speed it is using.

Does that Gigabit upgrade improve the sound? :) As I have read somewhere Jesus from Sonore didn't want Gigabit for the µRendu. Hmm sending to Korea for that upgrade.. According to the FAQs and the serial number of my sMS-200 I had to follow these steps: http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/09/How-to-enable-sMS-200-to-the-Gigabit-Ethernet-support_3.pdf?189db0

Disassembling the case is not a problem but I would be afraid of the 'removing the C670 Chip Capacitor' thing.

I have no idea what the Gigabit upgrade means in terms of sonic impact, if there is any, but it appears some would have it that higher interface speed could have at least a theoretical negative effect on SQ. In Part 1 of his review of the mR Chris states "This interface is limited to 470 Mbps due to the internal i.MX6 bus," making it sound more like a hardware limitation than the manufacturer wanting a speed limitation per se. In above linked youtube review of the sMS-200 Hans speculates that 100Mbit speed is "quieter" than 1Gbit ditto, whatever that means (hence in his mind being the possible reason for SOtM to have chosen this default setting with their first batch), but then goes on to proclaim "Unfortunately this didn't work perfectly with Gigabit routers," which, in light of SOtM having now changed the default setting to 1Gbit speed and assuming Hans commenced with the Gbit upgraded sMS-200 for his listening impressions, would seem to suggest that Gbit speed has no apparent detrimental effect on the sound quality, and that the combination with Gbit routers, functionally, is a favorable solution. Whatever Gbit interface speed means sonically Hans still found the SOtM unit to have an edge over the mR, which is good enough for me :)

Perhaps your dealer could be helpful in upgrading your unit? Or write an email to May Park from SOtM, and have her assess what to do in this case?

Has anyone verified the current draw of the SMS-200 to determine if power from an LPS1 is possible?

If not, then a microRendu/LPS1 comparison to the SMS-200 Sbooster BOTW LPSU review seems to be called for next.

And of course,

if so, both devices should be tested and reviewed when powered by the LPS1.

Then we will know the answer.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Has anyone verified the current draw of the SMS-200 to determine if power from an LPS1 is possible?

If not, then a microRendu/LPS1 comparison to the SMS-200 Sbooster BOTW LPSU review seems to be called for next.

And of course,

I can't imagine that it pulls 2 Amps continously, so around 7-10W is more likely.

And of course,

The power requirement specs for the sMS-200 on SOtM's website should be indicative of the unit's current draw: Input Voltage : +6.5 ~ 14Vdc; Power : Max 15W

SOtM's battery PSU mBPS-d2s is more or less tailor made to the sMS-200, and is stated at 9V/1.5A. Wouldn't that be a match with the mR as well? Battery power with these low power units seems like a glove-fit no less appealing than linear PSU's, and at a lower price.

The power requirement specs for the sMS-200 on SOtM's website should be indicative of the unit's current draw: Input Voltage : +6.5 ~ 14Vdc; Power : Max 15W

SOtM's battery PSU mBPS-d2s is more or less tailor made to the sMS-200, and is stated at 9V/1.5A. Wouldn't that be a match with the mR as well? Battery power with these low power units seems like a glove-fit no less appealing than linear PSU's, and at a lower price.

It's not so much the max specs as the continuous current draw. AFAIR, the LPS-1 is designed for a continuous current draw up to around 1A. That works with the mR, the question is how the SMS-200 performs in reality.You certainly are going to get good results with the SOtM PSU for the SMS-200, and I think you can get a discount if you buy the 2 as a package from SOtM.