IGNORED

Microrendu vs SMS200

I've finally made up my mind and am going to order an SMS-200. My decision over the mR is based primarily on price.

Now I need to decide which PSU to get. It appears that the the LPS-1 can do the job but it's sold out until mid December. For less money, and available immediately, there's the CIAudio MKII.

I'm wondering if I should use the supplied wall wart and hold out for the LPS-1 or grab the VDC•9 and be done with it.

I'm wondering if I should use the supplied wall wart and hold out for the LPS-1 or grab the VDC•9 and be done with it.

I tried 2 different PS with mine and didn't hear any difference. The first was a Jamesco I had from previous efforts. The second a cheap Chinese LPS with higher amperage.

I did hear a difference with the better LPS on my Wyred4Sound uLink.

For these reasons, I think you can wait for the much better LPS to come out.

I've finally made up my mind and am going to order an SMS-200. My decision over the mR is based primarily on price.

Now I need to decide which PSU to get. It appears that the the LPS-1 can do the job but it's sold out until mid December. For less money, and available immediately, there's the CIAudio MKII.

Sotm are coming out with their own power supply for the sms-200 (apart from the battery power supply that they already have). You may also consider that as an option.

Some info from the sotm site:

sPS-500 : sPS-500 is also in the same designed concept as sMS-200 and tX-USBUltra, it is the ultra-low noise hybrid power supply which will be the most cost effective product, it simply upgrade sound in your system by powering to your audio device.

Sotm are coming out with their own power supply for the sms-200 (apart from the battery power supply that they already have). You may also consider that as an option.

Some info from the sotm site:

sPS-500 : sPS-500 is also in the same designed concept as sMS-200 and tX-USBUltra, it is the ultra-low noise hybrid power supply which will be the most cost effective product, it simply upgrade sound in your system by powering to your audio device.

Does anyone know when Sotm will be releasing the new sPS-500, how much it will cost and how much power it will output?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a U.S. dealer? Or, should we order from Canada?

Thank you. Thanks to everyone sharing updates and insights.

• 3 weeks later...

May has responded in the other sotm thread. I hope that helps while we wait ?:

About the new PSU, sPS-500 is the name of this new power supply, the design is the same concept as sMS-200, please check some pictures taken by RMAF show, it is now prototype status, but we are planning to release it before the end of this year, the price would be similar with sMS-200 too.

And the sPS-500 would be capable to set up the voltage at 7V, 9V, 12V and 19V, so it could be used in various way. and also the Ultra low noise regulator circuit, Output short Protection circuit ,Over temperature protection circuit and other SOtM's special technics would be applied.

Sent from my eSTAR BEAUTY HD Quad core using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Shocked this thing hasn't got more attention. Added one to my chain last night. Installation flawless. Sound quality blew me away even with just the included power supply. I had a Raspberry Pi 2 as roon end point previously with iFi iPower PS. Stunning difference. Tested with both roon and as an Apple AirPlay client via Shareport. Recognized my DAC immediately. Can't wait until I get my new power supply to see what this thing can really do. I also tested up to 24/192 FLAC over wireless and everything played without hesitation. I have the sMS connected to an Airport Express set up as wireless bridge. I thought for sure I would have problems with hi res files, but seriously immediately started playing and no drops.

Ps. Had a little hick-up with software update. Sent email to SOtM team and immediately got a response. They tapped in via TeamViewer and solved the issue within few minutes. Great service IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I have been trying to fully understand the 'Eunhasu' software, and what the differences and similarities are with respect to the functionality of the microRendu. At a quick glance the software looks identical, the same apps/modes and so on. So this leads to to think that in terms of functionality and compatibility with music player software, the SMS-200 and microRendu are more or less identical. I believe this is not a coincidence, and that they are both based on software from Small Green Computer. So this leads to the question, is the software identical, or does the mR or SMS have optimised versions, or perhaps priority over updates. I'm just curious to how these relationships are set up.

The one difference I can see is that with the SMS-200, you could plug in a USB hard drive full of music, and play without an Ethernet connected computer in the chain. Simply control the music from an iPad app or similar, no need for a noisy PC connected via Ethernet. Has anyone tried using the SMS-200 like this? If so, this leads to the obvious next question, what was this like as a 'user experience', and of course, what is the influence on sound quality versus running with a PC/Mac running Roon or JRiver or whatever.

I am asking this as a current mR user. I have to say that the functionality and options with the mR software suit me perfectly, I see it as one of the strengths of the machine. Now it looks like the SMS-200 offers all of this plus a little bit more, which is compelling! Are there any other subtle difference that I may have missed?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have used both the Urendu and SMS-200. I cannot say for sure, but the software seems to be the same to me. I think that Sonore does spend more time tweaking it however. IMO the sound of the SOtM is still far superior regardless, however I much prefer using the JCat usb card powered by the Uptone lps-1 > Intone isolator > vbus isolator > DAC than either of the two.

I have been trying to fully understand the 'Eunhasu' software, and what the differences and similarities are with respect to the functionality of the microRendu. At a quick glance the software looks identical, the same apps/modes and so on. So this leads to to think that in terms of functionality and compatibility with music player software, the SMS-200 and microRendu are more or less identical. I believe this is not a coincidence, and that they are both based on software from Small Green Computer. So this leads to the question, is the software identical, or does the mR or SMS have optimised versions, or perhaps priority over updates. I'm just curious to how these relationships are set up.

The one difference I can see is that with the SMS-200, you could plug in a USB hard drive full of music, and play without an Ethernet connected computer in the chain. Simply control the music from an iPad app or similar, no need for a noisy PC connected via Ethernet. Has anyone tried using the SMS-200 like this? If so, this leads to the obvious next question, what was this like as a 'user experience', and of course, what is the influence on sound quality versus running with a PC/Mac running Roon or JRiver or whatever.

I am asking this as a current mR user. I have to say that the functionality and options with the mR software suit me perfectly, I see it as one of the strengths of the machine. Now it looks like the SMS-200 offers all of this plus a little bit more, which is compelling! Are there any other subtle difference that I may have missed?

Don't think it is the same software. I think SOtM developed their own, based on the same concept. Their previous SMS-100 did use Sonicorbiter software, so I think they basically copied the idea.

You are right that the SMS-200 has 2 functionalities the mR doesn't: ability to directly connect a HD for playback, and wifi built in.

One could make the argument, as Sonore does, that having wifi on board is a negative, as it increases noise in the unit; SOtM obviously disagrees.

As far as the use of external HD, obviously the SMS-200 can be used as you say, without a PC server: the question then becomes whether this method gives equivalent SQ results to feeding the mR or the SMS-200 the files over ethernet. (The whole idea of using the mR/SMS-200 over ethernet is that this largely eliminates the issue of noise from the serving PC.) Or, even if the use of a directly connected HD doesn't sound as good, does the convenience of this feature for you trump whatever SQ advantage is derived from streaming files over ethernet?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's clear that the SOTM SMS-200 software is not licensed from Small Green Computer as no acknowledgement of the license can be found. I'd stay away this device. It seems they have somehow managed to end their relationship with SGC. Given this prior dependency it's doubtful that SOTM has the software expertise to maintain this device going forward. The similarities to the prior software makes me wonder if the software is a bootleg version. SOTM wouldn't be the first Asian company not to comply with copyright laws.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

It's clear that the SOTM SMS-200 software is not licensed from Small Green Computer as no acknowledgement of the license can be found. I'd stay away this device. It seems they have somehow managed to end their relationship with SGC. Given this prior dependency it's doubtful that SOTM has the software expertise to maintain this device going forward. The similarities to the prior software makes me wonder if the software is a bootleg version. SOTM wouldn't be the first Asian company not to comply with copyright laws.

I wouldn't go that far.

SOtM is a much bigger operation than Sonore and SGC, so I don't see any reason they wouldn't be capable of supporting a program similar to SonicOrboter as the OS for the 200. Writing/putting together such an OS isn't exactly the cutting edge of modern programming, and SOtM certainly has enough experience with drivers and software involved in their other products to deal with something like the OS for the SMS-200.

They don't have to "copy or bootleg" to come up with something similar, as many parts of the OS are open source.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I wouldn't go that far.

I wouldn't go that far either. Question of expertise aside there are many unencumbered Linux versions for audiophile playback. ArchLinux, Daphile, etc.

It's relatively straightforward to make a tweaked Linux once it's running on hardware. I've done it. The real work is in tweaking the hardware and OS to maximize SQ.

Or, as my router says, they may be licensing Windows.

They built the UI, and a nice one it is, and wrote the necessary drivers and tweaked some settings.

I have used both the Urendu and SMS-200. I much prefer using the JCat usb card powered by the Uptone lps-1 > Intone isolator > vbus isolator > DAC than either of the two.

Good to hear from someone who has tried the latest fads. I agree, with the LPS-1 for power, the audio USB cards are sounding superb, in combination with an Intona.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I have just watched the Hans Beekhuyzen YouTube review of the SMS-200. In this he states that the software for the mR and the SMS-200 appear to be very similar, and then goes on to state that 'he understands' this is because the software is 'based on' the Sonicorbiter software from Small Green Computer'. So quite what 'based upon' actually means I am not sure. Intriguing.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

For the record:

Sonore and Small Green Computer developed and continue to maintain the Sonicorbiter operating system. The Sonicorbiter operating system is based on closed source / proprietary components (Sonore owned and owned by others) and open source components which we have participated in varying degree in. By participation I'm referring to time, code, and financial contributions. The Sonicorbiter operating system officially runs on the microRendu, Sonicorbiter (Sonore, discontinued), Sonicorbiter SE, and on the sonicTransporter series. The Sonicorbiter operating system changes from hardware platform to hardware platform and is offered as an endpoint and as a server depending on the product. In all cases, the endpoints and the servers are designed to work together and can be managed concurrently via www.sonicorbiter.com. When used together we call this the Sonicorbiter System. In the past, we (Sonore and Small Green Computer) licensed the Sonicorbiter operating system to SOtM for use on the sMS-100 (discontinued). This agreement was terminated months ago by the group and remains inactive.

Sonore and Small Green Computer did not participate in the development of the sMS-200 hardware or it's software. Sonore and Small Green Computer sold SOtM the hardware (mainboard) and licensed the software to SOtM for the sMS-100. SOtM did not participate in the development of any Sonicorbiter based products either in a hardware or software capacity. The microRendu project was developed by Sonore, Small Green Computer and John Swenson.

IMO the best connected drive is no connected drive. Having said that...we do have a product where you can connect a drive if you want / need to. However, on the microRendu it was decided that this feature was not appropriate. Instead we have a Drive Mounter feature that allows you to mount drivers over the network.

Below are noise plots provided to Sonore (some time ago) by SOtM showing the affect of their SATA filters on system noise. As you can see their is noise without the filter and less noise with the filters, but there is noise. Now ask yourself where the noise goes if power your endpoint from an isolated supply and then connect a driver to it;)

Attached hard drive with SATA filter - 12 VDC noise

12v - with SATA filter.jpg

Attached hard drive without SATA filter - 12 VDC noise

12v - without SATA filter.jpg

Attached hard drive with SATA filter - 5 VDC noise

5v - with SATA filter.jpg

Attached hard drive without SATA filter - 5 VDC noise

5v - without SATA filter.jpg

Attached SSD with SATA filter - 5 VDC noise

With SATA filter - PS side.jpg

Attached SSD without SATA filter - 5 VDC noise

Without SATA filter .jpg

Are you talking about the SOtM SATA power filters? If so, this would not matter if HDD's are powered separately and streaming doesn't occur directly from the HDD. Thus data only. Guess that would only work on a PC/MAC with memory.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Are you talking about the SOtM SATA power filters? If so, this would not matter if HDD's are powered separately and streaming doesn't occur directly from the HDD. Thus data only.

Attached drives will not have SATA filters built into them and let's assume 50% of them are bus powered. Bus powered or not they all have ground connections via the USB connection. Using a powered drive can introduce a ground loop, defeat any inherent isolation in an isolated power supply feeding the endpoint and add drive noise.