IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I just updated from 2.20b4 to 2.20b5 on W10 Enterprise.

The process was as painless as could be. After the install, I reran "ao -ut" and went through all the steps exactly as I had with b4. I didn't see any new dialogs or options.

Caveat: I am running AO on my Roon Core machine, so it is technically a "ControlPC" in AudioPhil's parlance.

Result: I could convince myself that b5 sounds a tiny bit better than b4, but honestly, I am not sure I could stand by that. I am more comfortable declaring it a wash.

In terms of processes too - in b4, with Roon and MinimServer running, I had 53 processes. With b5, with the exact same settings, I am at 55 processes.

For some reason, I expected fewer processes with b5. but I can't complain. It certainly sounds just as good as b4.

I just updated from AO 2.2b4 to b5 and no doubt all, b5 sounds much better, it really put a smile on my face and my system never sounded better. I got a bigger sound stage with additional transparency.

Maybe the impact is much more pronounced for us who use direct USB connection from a PC to a DAC

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

In terms of processes too - in b4, with Roon and MinimServer running, I had 53 processes. With b5, with the exact same settings, I am at 55 processes.

Perhaps surprising, because Phil says you can have up to 14 more disabled services in beta 5, but I suppose it depends on your requirements.  Also, Windows 10 Enterprise is already more stripped down than Pro.

Creators Update brings many more svchost processes.  Most services now run in their own svchost process rather than a shared svchost process.  This is actually good for reliability and serviceability.  It also makes it easier to stop unwanted services (fewer dependencies).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I can't launch HQPlayer after installing beta5 on my Windows 10 pro with Creator updates. I have uninstall and reinstall HQPlayer twice with same results. All other programs including RoonServer, AcourateConvolver, JPlay and even Kodi runs fine. Anyone here with the same issue and how do you resolve it?

3 minutes ago, planner said:

Anyone here with the same issue and how do you resolve it?

If you installed Microsoft updates that were released 5/9, you need HQPlayer 3.16.3.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, mozes said:

I just updated from AO 2.2b4 to b5 and no doubt all, b5 sounds much better, it really put a smile on my face and my system never sounded better. I got a bigger sound stage with additional transparency.

Maybe the impact is much more pronounced for us who use direct USB connection from a PC to a DAC

Yes, that is my suspicion too. To be honest, I didn't think AO would have any effect on my Roon Core when I first installed it, but it  did. I am also enjoying the sound signature and digital filter settings.

I guess whatever difference there is between b4 and b5, it doesn't really help my system much, which is OK, because I am still very happy with AO.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Perhaps surprising, because Phil says you can have up to 14 more disabled services in beta 5, but I suppose it depends on your requirements.  Also, Windows 10 Enterprise is already more stripped down than Pro.

Creators Update brings many more svchost processes.  Most services now run in their own svchost process rather than a shared svchost process.  This is actually good for reliability and serviceability.  It also makes it easier to stop unwanted services (fewer dependencies).

I don't fixate on number of processes necessarily, but I did wonder why those 14 extra disabled services didn't result in fewer processes. I do know that multiple services run in the same svchost process, so perhaps all 14 fall into this category.

Again, not a big deal, just curious.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Could I beg the group's indulgence, and ask for a quick primer? I am on W10 Enterprise 2.20b4.

1. Remind me again the proper way to apply Windows updates? Is it:
    • service_tool > reset
    • apply updates
    • run ao -ut and run through all the steps
    • also run service_tool?

2. Steps to migrate from b4 to b5?

Thanks!

Hello

you are mixing Windows Updates and the Update of AO, they have nothing to do with each other.

updating AO works exactly as described in the guide.

if you want to to windows updates:

1. Do a reset using ServiceTool

2. Download and install Windows Updates and reboot

3. Do a full run with AO

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

3 hours ago, Audio said:

I just started using Windows Server 2016 and installed 2.2 Beta 4 two days ago.  The system sounded good despite it being in GUI mode as I was using Windows Server 2012 core mode previously.  I just can't wait to get to Beta 5 using the core mode.

Then it happens, Beta 5 is out.  I updated AO to the new version but using Service Tool to change it to core mode fails, there isn't an option for you to select, it just keep repeating that all my drivers and services had been restored, when I select "A" at the Service Tool main menu.

Still not satisfied with the situation, I erased the installation, reinstall the OS again, install a fresh copy of Beta 5 and ran into the same situation again.

Why can't I switch to core mode?  Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Audio)

Hello Audio

This simply is because Microsoft removed the ability to switch between modes. This no longer exists, thats why it would pointless to offer the option in ServiceTool.

With Windows Server 2016 you either install Core Mode or GUI, but switching between is no longer possible. Minimal-Server Mode has also been eleminated by Microsoft. Thank you Microsoft.

Microsoft's rather disappointing statement on the topic: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/04/05/switching-between-windows-server-2016-server-core-and-desktop-experience/

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

3 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hello

you are mixing Windows Updates and the Update of AO, they have nothing to do with each other.

updating AO works exactly as described in the guide.

if you want to to windows updates:

1. Do a reset using ServiceTool

2. Download and install Windows Updates and reboot

3. Do a full run with AO

Best,

AudioPhil

Yes thank you - I figured both out.

21 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

As we are talking of pretty graphics....

i have a FullHD monitor since a few years and was always using Core Mode with a native graphic driver and the standard resolution. I think its 1024x768 or so... not very sexy

i recently stumpled on the needed powershell command to properly set the native resolution of my monitor! (What a shame it took so many years....)

Set-DisplayResolution -width 1920 -hight 1080 and voilà FullHD in Core Mode :-)

With the excellent work Phil did to enable the availability of Device Manager in Core I am able to update the Display Adapter to use the correct video drivers and viola!! superb graphics in Core now, no more Microsoft Default. It is indeed a beautiful thing.

(Expand Display Adapters | Right click on the  adapter | Select Update driver | paste the location of the files for the driver. done deal!!)

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

9 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Hello Audio

This simply is because Microsoft removed the ability to switch between modes. This no longer exists, thats why it would pointless to offer the option in ServiceTool.

With Windows Server 2016 you either install Core Mode or GUI, but switching between is no longer possible. Minimal-Server Mode has also been eleminated by Microsoft. Thank you Microsoft.

Microsoft's rather disappointing statement on the topic: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/04/05/switching-between-windows-server-2016-server-core-and-desktop-experience/

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks AudioPhil,

Ok, I now understand you.  I need to setup Windows Server 2016 in core mode.  It went well, I have installed all the  INF and the drivers and all loaded successfully.

I am stuck now installing JRiver MC22.  Once I exe the install file, it went through installation and then open a narrow window in the middle of the screen, the narrow too narrow to select anything.  Anyone can suggest how I can widen the window so that I can continue with the installation?

mc22-1.jpg

mc22-2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

(Audio)

5 minutes ago, Audio said:

Thanks AudioPhil,

Ok, I now understand you.  I need to setup Windows Server 2016 in core mode.  It went well, I have installed all the  INF and the drivers and all loaded successfully.

I am stuck now installing JRiver MC22.  Once I exe the install file, it went through installation and then open a narrow window in the middle of the screen, the narrow too narrow to select anything.  Anyone can suggest how I can widen the window so that I can continue with the installation?

mc22-1.jpg

mc22-2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

(Audio)

see this post : 

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Installed Beta 5 without problems (Windows 10, Roon in Shell mode). Nice improvement in SQ compared with Beta 4. Better definition of soundstage, and overall more "real" sounding. Thank you! 

Surprisingly I could stop 10 more services manually in task-manager after running AO without getting issues (for ex Audio Endpoint builder). Not sure though if that results in further improvement.

10 hours ago, Peter_T said:

see this post : 

Thanks Peter-T for your prompt and helpful reply.   You guys are ingenious.

I managed to create a portable version of MC22 and ran into a new problem.  I cannot run the exe file.  It is probably a silly problem; the application file name is "Media Center 22.exe" and typing this under the command prompt return the response that "Media" is not recognised as a command.  I think the space got something to do with this.  Can anyone provide any suggestion?

I apologised for polluting this thread with newbie questions.   Please bear with me.

(Audio)

Yep the space is the issue.   Load up Total Commander (or something like it) and then you can go to the JR directory and start it there with a double-click.....  

Or even better, create a batch file/cmd file (for example call it jr.cmd), put this in AO/Tools (this is in the path).  Then just type JR from any command prompt to start it up:

start "" "c:\path to JR\Media Center 22.exe"

pause (you can remove this after making sure your cmd/batch file works properly)

cls

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the Beta 5 release. Being able to run Roon and HQPlayer in Server 2016 Core is great. I haven't had a lot of time to listen yet but there does seem to be a nice improvement in SQ with regard to sound stage and bass.

Are the Network Tuning options as described in the AO manual available in Server 2016 Core and if so, could you give some pointers on how to do this please.

One slight negative I have noticed is a drop in performance and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. My control PC isn't the most powerful so when using Server 2012R2, in HQPlayer I was using the -2s version of poly-sinc-xtr-mp oversampling which is less taxing on the PC and all tracks would play almost instantaneously. Now in Server 2016 Core with the same settings tracks can take 10 seconds before playback takes place. 

2 hours ago, dm68 said:

One slight negative I have noticed is a drop in performance and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. My control PC isn't the most powerful so when using Server 2012R2, in HQPlayer I was using the -2s version of poly-sinc-xtr-mp oversampling which is less taxing on the PC and all tracks would play almost instantaneously. Now in Server 2016 Core with the same settings tracks can take 10 seconds before playback takes place. 

i'm seeing a similar delay on win10 with no oversampling/conversion -- just using jriver as a renderer.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 5/12/2017 at 3:32 PM, jcn3 said:

i'm seeing a similar delay on win10 with no oversampling/conversion -- just using jriver as a renderer.

I think I figured out my issue - not associated with AO.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Inspired by this thread I installed Windows-2016 in core mode.

After installing DDC Singxer F-1 driver I failed to install Foobar2000, at the end of installation a message pops up:

The Program can not start because DSOUND.dll  missing from your computer.

Right now I have AO 1.40 so can't use AO.

Please help me in this regard.

Hello

This is expected behavior and you will see many more such errors without AO in Core Mode.

You need to run AO and say yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support", this will get rid of such application incompatibilities in Core Mode for you.

If you don't want to re-invent the wheel yourself there's not much you can do without AO 2.20 Beta 5.

Best,

AudioPhil

12 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hello

This is expected behavior and you will see many more such errors without AO in Core Mode.

You need to run AO and say yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support", this will get rid of such application incompatibilities in Core Mode for you.

If you don't want to re-invent the wheel yourself there's not much you can do without AO 2.20 Beta 5.

Best,

AudioPhil

Hi Phil

Thanks for your quick response. You know I have some issue with PayPal payment so can't upgrade right at the moment. But problem is now I am stuck up at the middle of nowhere, I thought Foobar will run in core mode without AO2.2. 

Now I have no way but to revert back to Win2012R2 core with AO1.4 and JPLAY.

Regards

Asimov

Hi Phil, I've installed Windows Server 2016 core, AO 2.20 beta 5 but I'm not able to use MMCSS, infact when I launch my custom-no gui-player (that uses MMCSS) I obtain such an error (see attached image)

Failed to enable MMCSS (Error code=2)

Failed to enable MMCSS (Error code=2)

Could you help me?
Thanks.

Besides when I try to launch my dac driver control panel (Merging Hapi) I obtain another error "opengl32.dll" is missing.
How could I install graphic driver (Intel cpu graphic driver) in core mode?
I try to launch setup.exe but it fails.
Thanks.

IMG_20170516_223413.jpg