IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

I am running Win 10 LTSC for my non-audio computer and thought, why not for audio.  So I did a clean install (which is appreciably smaller than Win 2019 Server) on my audio computer (ASUS PN60 mini-form with Samsung 970 Pro ssd etc). 

Lo and behold, running AO3.39 in 4D setting, probably bests Server.  Organic, rich, deep and wide sound-stage with clear delineation of instruments/voices through my Wilson XLFs, from Meitner DA2 through Karan KAM2000 mono-blocks.  As good as I have heard my system.

Great job Phil with Win 10 as well as Server.  Many thanks.

I wonder how you all do comparisons. Replace OS one after another, dual boot etc. How? For me it again turns out impossible to tell WS2016 and WS2019 apart in a dual boot configuration. For one it takes about 90 seconds in between switching OS and getting ready so all what I thought I perceived I find too unreliable to be certain. I also did not hear any characteristic to absolutely clearly stand out as being different when using WS2016 vs WS2019.

@AudioPhil because of the dual boot I went into SSD properties and noticed that indexing was ticked. Am I correct in assuming this is functionless because the index service is removed or disabled by AO? Task manager does not show WSearch running.

1 hour ago, moriez said:

I wonder how you all do comparisons. Replace OS one after another, dual boot etc. How? For me it again turns out impossible to tell WS2016 and WS2019 apart in a dual boot configuration. For one it takes about 90 seconds in between switching OS and getting ready so all what I thought I perceived I find too unreliable to be certain. I also did not hear any characteristic to absolutely clearly stand out as being different when using WS2016 vs WS2019.

@AudioPhil because of the dual boot I went into SSD properties and noticed that indexing was ticked. Am I correct in assuming this is functionless because the index service is removed or disabled by AO? Task manager does not show WSearch running.

I find it best to "live" with a configuration for a day or so at least, before changing.

Quick changes can be very missleading.

11 hours ago, winmore said:

I am running Win 10 LTSC for my non-audio computer and thought, why not for audio. 

Can You clarify your current setup please?  Are you running single PC with Win 10 or are you running dual PC with Win 10 on the Control and WinSvr 2019 Gui on your Control?

If Dual what are your filter setting on the Audio PC.

thanks

21 hours ago, Blawre said:

I find it best to "live" with a configuration for a day or so at least, before changing.

Quick changes can be very missleading.

9 hours ago, winmore said:

And I absolutely agree with Blawre that it takes time to appreciate changes in a new implementation.  I think several days.

Cheers guys.

It's said more often to trial for an extended period. Perfect in theory but with my fragmented listening habit it's hard. Regularly there's no listening for maybe a week. [pause] I should probably choose to not be too bothered if differences aren't obvious.

• AudioPhil locked this topic
  • 4 weeks later...