IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 2

I ride (AGAT) and drive a cage...guess it is possible to be both a subjectivist (I do trust my ears) and objectivist (I enjoy charts and measurements)... :)

+1 But now I see that my riding with helmet on explains my choice of using hybrid amplifiers.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Sal1950 - "Making Computer Audio Great Again."

Yes, borrowing the tag line from another blow-hard who won't listen to anybody but himself.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

And I feel so much "safer" in regards to my stereo now with Sal around. Really not sure how I survived the choices I made before.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

BTW, for an example of the behaviour of "objectivists" have a look at Audio Science Review where two of the most active threads are "How to get banned" from other forums & how to ban/gag people who challenge them on ASR. Our brother Sal being the most vocal of the voices & no doubt he will return to that lair, telling stories of his derring-do on CA :)

EXACTLY!

And to Chris' point, I need no knight in shining armor protecting me from the perilous evils of the subjectivist camp brainwashing (because there's really no such thing and even if there were I'm a big boy).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Sal likes to throw his objectivist barbs. But unlike some of that ilk, when I told him -" look, I don't know if I like some of my choices b/c of the placebo effect or b/c they actually are making an improvement. But I don't have a way of measuring or doing a proper blind test. I compare the best I can and try not to fool myself. But in the end I just listen to whatever sounds best to me and don't worry about it", he said that was great. I think his real issue is people not accepting the possibility that differences they hear may not be "real", not what they actually listen to and enjoy.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

+1 ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Alex, so this is basically agreeing with what you and John speculated about before, that Amir should have used a balanced setup to test?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

In my case, yes. I read measurements in stereophile and hifi news before buying Chord Hugo TT. I'm hoping more measurements showed up in this forum.

Just curious, when it comes to really expensive components like $5-$10-$20-$50k, do people become so obsessed with measurements as they seem to do over a $600+ device?
Sal likes to throw his objectivist barbs. But unlike some of that ilk, when I told him -" look, I don't know if I like some of my choices b/c of the placebo effect or b/c they actually are making an improvement. But I don't have a way of measuring or doing a proper blind test. I compare the best I can and try not to fool myself. But in the end I just listen to whatever sounds best to me and don't worry about it", he said that was great. I think his real issue is people not accepting the possibility that differences they hear may not be "real", not what they actually listen to and enjoy.

You are putting words in his mouth and manipulating what Sal said. The claims were about saving people money from making dumb purchases (according to his scale); this coming from a motorcyclist no less. It is kind of funny. Just curious why you feel the need to morph his comments into a kinder gentler reconstruction of what he really said. Why do you people always do that.

I think it was pretty clear what Sal said.

From my perch I am one of those dummies who find the microsonore a great addition.

You are putting words in his mouth and manipulating what Sal said. The claims were about saving people money from making dumb purchases (according to his scale); this coming from a motorcyclist no less. It is kind of funny. Just curious why you feel the need to morph his comments into a kinder gentler reconstruction of what he really said. Why do you people always do that.

I think it was pretty clear what Sal said.

From my perch I am one of those dummies who find the microsonore a great addition.

"you people" + "always do that" + "coming from a motorcyclist"- classic use of stereotyping and generalization - both about me and Sal. From someone who claims to be the only one on the forum who knows the facts about almost every topic. Suggestion: check yourself for your own prejudices before accusing others.

I have my view of Sal based on what I consider the entirety of his posts, not just the ones I find obnoxious or annoying.

As a matter of FACT, Sal responded to me in just the way I've described in another thread, and AFAIR has done the same in a few other cases where similar ideas were expressed. So please tell me how I'm "putting words into his mouth", when I'm factually reporting how he responded to me.

For the record, I was one of the first to order a mRendu, and happy with it. I think it improves the sound of my system. That's based on my subjective listening experiences. I don't deny the possibility that what I 'm hearing is some kind of expectation bias :).

No need to argue...I have the full article from iFi and the measurements will speak for themselves.

When do we get to see the measurements?

"you people" + "always do that" + "coming from a motorcyclist"- classic use of stereotyping and generalization - both about me and Sal. From someone who claims to be the only one on the forum who knows the facts about almost every topic. Suggestion: check yourself for your own prejudices before accusing others.

I have my view of Sal based on what I consider the entirety of his posts, not just the ones I find obnoxious or annoying.

As a matter of FACT, Sal responded to me in just the way I've described in another thread, and AFAIR has done the same in a few other cases where similar ideas were expressed. So please tell me how I'm "putting words into his mouth", when I'm factually reporting how he responded to me.

For the record, I was one of the first to order a mRendu, and happy with it. I think it improves the sound of my system. That's based on my subjective listening experiences. I don't deny the possibility that what I 'm hearing is some kind of expectation bias :).

For the record, I am quoting Sal's higher than tho comments of being the arbiter of what makes a sensible monetary choice ON THIS THREAD, which is quite absurd on its own merits and even more absurd when you consider his choices elsewhere in life, such as the purchase of a motorcycle.

For the record I could care less what Sal chooses in life and if motorcycles or measuring the movement of electrons floats his boat great. It is the dogmatic rhetoric from those like Sal who think they are the voice of good choice and believe they "know" what YOU should purchase.

For the record I too was one of the first to get one and I really really like it with my ladder DAC. I am soon going to do some testing comparing it feeding my MSB Diamond Plus vs. T&A upsampled to DSD512 IF my new computer ever arrives before I leave again.

No more Sal. We can agree to disagree on Sal because I know there is a lecture coming from you claiming I do the same thing.

Let's discuss the microRendu (on this microRendu forum) one of my favorite high end tweaks in a long time.

Prove it... (tongue firmly planted in cheek[emoji83])

Well for one, I love it's footprint, ease of use. I can, at this time, only speak to it's use in the specific situation I am using it. Right now I am using it strictly as an NAA endpoint to my MSB Diamond Plus which is a ladder DAC and find it truly excellent and better than any CAPS I have tried. On the recommendation of some here, I have tried HQP with my MSB as a player without any filters or upsampling instead of JRiver and really like the results. I like the results even more so with the microRendu even more than the CAPS.

How is that for a start.

I am soon going to do some testing comparing it feeding my MSB Diamond Plus vs. T&A upsampled to DSD512 IF my new computer ever arrives before I leave again.

Will you be running those tests under bias controlled non-sighted conditions? If so I anxiously await the publishing of the results. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Will you be running those tests under bias controlled non-sighted conditions? If so I anxiously await the publishing of the results. ;)

Have you personally ever run tests matching the above description and published the results?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Just preference. Trust me nothing would make me happier than to like the cheaper alternative and sell the MSB. I don't profess to be the last word in audio, but have been at this since the early 80s and was also dealt high end audio equipment in the NYC area during the early to mid 80s. I consider myself pretty good at getting the best out of a system and setting things up. My "reputation" at the time was for setting up turntables. I got to see and hear some amazingly expensive equipment; one thing that amazed me in so many cases was how so many people spent so much on equipment with no attention to setup. While you like to see validation with specs, which is fine, my issue with so many, is spending so much on equipment and then paying no attention to setup or not having the space to get the best sound and then going on to buy something new thinking that will fix what can't be fixed.

My limited experience to date with the T&A is with a CAPS/JCAT USB card upsampling with JRiver with my headphones. My current high end computer can't handle the upsampling and am hoping early next week to get my new computer and do some legitimate comparisons.

my issue with so many, is spending so much on equipment and then paying no attention to setup or not having the space to get the best sound and then going on to buy something new thinking that will fix what can't be fixed.

So true and quite often the difference between the average visitor saying "Your stereo costs how much?" and "Wow, I've never heard music sound so good".

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I rarely get on audiophile forums, and this thread is perfect proof why :(

Here's one secret measurement that I've found to be foolproof - audiophile forum post counts.

Super high post counts are almost always indicative of audiophiles you SHOULDN'T listen to.

What person with a good system would prefer to post constantly on an audiophile forums...especially to take extreme positions such as.... "my ears are infallible - subjectivity rules - measurements are worthless" or "measurements quantify everything human ears can hear - bad measurements always show scam products"

This thread should have died long ago. Amir posted some measurements. Superdad responded from the other side claiming that the measurements are inaudible and/or done wrong. That should be it for now until any new relevant information is provided from either side. Instead, it's turned into arguments about generalities and extreme positions.

I question anyone who strictly buys gear based on measurements. On the flip side, anyone who ignores relevant measurements/physics is going to fall prey to gear mismatches and worse (i.e. snake oil salesmen).

This is deja vu with the Regen a year ago. I got into an argument with Bob Katz (and Bruno Putkeys via Bob) about the viability of the Regen. They were in the Amir camp (with far more credentials and expertise than Amir). I argued that certain DACs and low quality servers could gain an audible benefit trying it...especially at the price. They claimed it was worthless and a scam. Once they started making those claims, I just exited and went back to listening to my system because it was clear nothing I could say would change their mind. All I said was.."We'll see in a year how many people successfully enjoy it and how many copycat products get made from other firms."

Even though my prediction came true, it doesn't make me 100% right because I also know there are gear combos where the Regen does little to nothing audible. However, it's clearly not a scam or worthless for many people either.

Being an audiophile doesn't mean you have to post incessantly on forums, take extreme positions, and be paranoid about any contrarian view. If so, I'll happily return my membership card.

If you bought and like the microRendu and have confidence in what you hear, then just laugh at the naysayers and listen to your system versus arguing on a forum. It only sabotages your credibility and shows paranoia doing otherwise.

If you think the microRendu is a scam product, then provide comprehensive and well-done measurements that are applicable to human hearing. Also make sure you take into account any positives in one area that may offset negative measurements in another area.