IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 2

Happy to try to help here, Fred.

Like you, I prefer to keep my system as simple as I can.

But to your specific question, yes, the mR absolutely and clearly improves upon the sound of the Acousense device alone. I wish it weren't the case, but it is.

I hope that helps.

Joel

Hi Joel,

quite interesting to hear about afi USB and mR being a good team together.

If you could afford only one of them in your system, which of them would you prefer as far as sq is concerned? (Of course afi USB as USB/SPDIF converter in conjunction with a computer as opposed to mR together with an USB/SPDIF converter like your Berkeley Alpha)

Kind regards

Stefan

Hi Chris,

Wondering if you could take a shot at describing what this piece of equipment sounds like to make it the best performance you've heard from your system? Can you talk about in what way it improves on the sound?

Thanks!

Hi Joel,

quite interesting to hear about afi USB and mR being a good team together.

If you could afford only one of them in your system, which of them would you prefer as far as sq is concerned? (Of course afi USB as USB/SPDIF converter in conjunction with a computer as opposed to mR together with an USB/SPDIF converter like your Berkeley Alpha)

Kind regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I'm not entirely clear on your question. If you're asking which I'd keep between the mR and the AFI-USB, I think it would be the mR, but it would be tough to sacrifice the AFI-USB.

Joel

Hi Stefan,

I'm not entirely clear on your question. If you're asking which I'd keep between the mR and the AFI-USB, I think it would be the mR, but it would be tough to sacrifice the AFI-USB.

Joel

Thanks Joel, that was exactly what I wanted to know – even though I would have preferred to hear that one of the units brings most of the glory alone with the other one then adding just a bit.

I used JRiver Media Center during this review and had no problems with the volume control. Did you check to see if JRMC is converting audio to a lesser quality before sending it to the microRendu?

Chris --- Can you point me to the right spot in the JRMC settings for this? I played around in Option/Audio last nite, but wasn't sure I was in the right spot. Thanks. -- David

Does anyone have any experience using JRiver as a control point/server with the uRendu? I tried it last nite, and the volume was down by about a third vs. minimserver and Bubbleupnp, my current server/control point. The JRiver volume slider was maxed out -- ideally I'd like to defeat the volume control, the way it is in Bubbleupnp, and fix the low volume level. Thanks. -- David

David, aside from any DSP/sample rate issues that Chris brings up, what is your volume mode on JRiver (right click on volume icon in upper left corner, by slider)?

Hi Chris:

Isee in this review you used the Cisco SG200-26 as your switch.Previously, in “CA Academy/TheComplete GuideToHiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio” yousaid “TheSG200-26 also works without any configuration when dropped into anetwork and plugged-in.”

I used the SG200-26without problem until getting my mRendu. After installing the mRenduI started getting dropouts at sample rates above 48k using DLNA orHQPlayer NAA (no dropouts with ROON Ready). My network is verysimple, everything connected direct to the switch without anyconfiguration changes to the SG200-26. Some of the members here offersuggestions but I was not able to eliminate the dropouts using theSG200-26. For a few days I have been trying a unmanaged switch andthe dropouts have gone away.

When using theSG200-26 and the mRendu did you have to change any of the defaultconfiguration of the switch? If not, any thoughts on my dropouts?

Thanks

Hi Chris:

Isee in this review you used the Cisco SG200-26 as your switch.Previously, in “CA Academy/TheComplete GuideToHiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio” yousaid “TheSG200-26 also works without any configuration when dropped into anetwork and plugged-in.”

I used the SG200-26without problem until getting my mRendu. After installing the mRenduI started getting dropouts at sample rates above 48k using DLNA orHQPlayer NAA (no dropouts with ROON Ready). My network is verysimple, everything connected direct to the switch without anyconfiguration changes to the SG200-26. Some of the members here offersuggestions but I was not able to eliminate the dropouts using theSG200-26. For a few days I have been trying a unmanaged switch andthe dropouts have gone away.

When using theSG200-26 and the mRendu did you have to change any of the defaultconfiguration of the switch? If not, any thoughts on my dropouts?

Thanks

Hi John - Wow, someone else has this issue! I've been researching this one for a while and have a guess as to what's going on, but not a definitive conclusion.

Here is my post about what I think is happening - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/#post550519

P.S. The switch needs no configuration. I've tried many different configuration changes on the switch to solve this issue, but I haven't found a real solution that I like. I also got in a completely new network infrastructure from Access Networks (for review) and the problem still exists. This bolsters my belief that I posted about in the linked thread.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi John - Wow, someone else has this issue! I've been researching this one for a while and have a guess as to what's going on, but not a definitive conclusion.

Here is my post about what I think is happening - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/#post550519

P.S. The switch needs no configuration. I've tried many different configuration changes on the switch to solve this issue, but I haven't found a real solution that I like. I also got in a completely new network infrastructure from Access Networks (for review) and the problem still exists. This bolsters my belief that I posted about in the linked thread.

Thanks, very interesting read. It does make me feel a little better knowing someone with much better network knowledge than me is having the same problem.

I had found an unmanaged switch between the SG200-26 and the mRendu fixed DLNA but with that hookup HQPlayer did not see the NAA.

I ordered a microRendu yesterday after a short email exchange with Jesus R. I mentioned to him initially that I was going to purchase the unit for a second system that I am assembling at another location but would continue using in my main system both my existing HDPlex linear power supply and the SotM SMS-1000u, both of which I purchased from him previously. He suggested that I instead use the microRendu in my main system if I am willing to give it a proper power supply upgrade.

I know that Chris reviewed the SotM awhile ago and now he's reviewed the microRendu. It would be helpful to me to know if he or anyone else familiar with these alternatives seconds Jesus' opinion about which of the two devices belongs in the "better" system. I don't mean any disrespect to Jesus' assessment but a second opinion always is good to have. Note that, even if this goes into the main system, I am willing to buy another smallish upgraded LPS but that I am unlikely to want to purchase an LPS that costs twice as much as the device, both for rack space and expenditure reasons. Unfortunately, t won't be possible for me to A-B the alternatives directly, as I probably need to remove the SotM from my system and take it to the new place before the microRendu is scheduled to ship. I originally was just planning to have the microRendu shipped directly to the new address.

I look forward to reading comments about how to make this call.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Hey Mike,

I've never heard the SOtM SMS-1000u so I can't comment on how it sounds.

But in my experience, and I have a very serious investment in my main system, the Micro Rendu is definitely a main system device. You'll be hard pressed to get a better sound elsewhere (certainly at anywhere near the price of the mR).

And yes, you'll want the best power source you can use to power the mR.

Good luck.

Joel

Does anyone care to provide counterpoints to these measurements: Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I'm not sure how much is really there. Amir at first made a false measurement and publicized it , even though even he thought it didn't make sense. Later corrected it.

As far as I understsand, he tested the mR only in DLNA mode vs. his standard laptop playback.

His measurements seem to show:

a) mR doesn't improve output in DLNA mode;

b) iFi PS actually adds quite a bit of noise, instead of reducing it;

c)mR is sensitive to PS noise - and he doesn't think it should be if it has regulation and is "improving" the USB signal;

d) using mR with quality PS does show significantly improved performance over laptop playback. Lower noise and distortion.

For some reason he seems to criticize the mR based on the performance of the iFi device. He seems to think that since Sonore "recommends" the iFi PS, that it is part of the product.

He didn't test the mR in any other mode, including NAA mode. Perhaps that mode yields different results.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Amateurs with professional equipment drawing conclusions is a dangerous thing.

How is Amir an amateur? Electrical engineer by profession and ex VP of digital media at MS.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

How is Amir an amateur? Electrical engineer by profession and ex VP of digital media at MS.

Neither of those titles mean a thing when it comes to measuring audio components and interpreting the results.

I suggest people read the thread and draw their own conclusions. The thread speaks for itself. Ripping the mR for outputting +8 dB, followed by an oops I was using Windows Media Player that isn't bit perfect, is the hallmark of an amateur.

Plus, even his own words spell it out, "I don't do this professionally and it is possible I have made mistakes."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Neither of those titles mean a thing when it comes to measuring audio components and interpreting the results.

Maybe true, but not exactly an amateur. That's a little harsh.

Again, the audio companies could prevent all this type of talk by publishing measurements showing the improvements their products bring. The fact that almost none of them do it does raise questions. You'd think that at least some of them would want such measurements to be out there.

Maybe true, but not exactly an amateur. That's a little harsh.

Again, the audio companies could prevent all this type of talk by publishing measurements showing the improvements their products bring. The fact that almost none of them do it does raise questions. You'd think that at least some of them would want such measurements to be out there.

I hear what you're saying but the companies have been there and done that and it has never satisfied anyone. People will run their own tests and be skeptical forever.

Probably a topic for another thread though :~)

Measurements are just half of the story,

There are an unknown amount of information that you can't even measure.

Otherwise no tube gear or turntable would still be respected today and for many audiophiles the gold standard for other kind of sound gear.

Just take noise floor into perspective, any class D amp wipe the floor with tube amps.

Just read the thread and this guy clearly started his measurements with a preconceived story to tell.

The 8 db mistake is just to crass to take anything else seriously, and the laptop battery part also laughable.

Just my 2 cents