IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 2

+1. It's a keeper IMO. Love it!

Digital: 2010(!) Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz ; L2 Cache: 3 MB; Memory:8 GB > Roon > HQ Player (polysinc, NS9 upsampling PCM to 192 kHz) > Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans USB cable > Sonore MicroRendu (in NAA mode w/ Sonore DC-4 > LPS-1) > Benchmark HGC DAC2 > Naim Nait XS / Naim Flatcap XS > Naim Naic cables > Spendor A5s or Sennheiser HD600s.

No, that is an oversimplification that misses the uRendu point. This is a complete redesign of the USB handshake like you may have never heard before...

I agree its a oversimplification but what is this redesign of USB handshake you are talking about ? And handshake between whom ? the DAC and microRendu ?

Before you question, play critic or start recommending other products please at least have actually listened to this product.

Fair enough. I was just sincerely curious about what the mR does that other renderers don't and my sceptisism is based on my own experiences with the USB interface, not with the mR itself. Network renderers have been around for about a decade and they pretty much all are computers built for the sole purpose of processing audio. The review to me suggests that the mR is the first product based on that design concept.

Anyway, your input has got me intrigued. Thanks!

Design concept: there is a differens between idea and execution.

Most (all?) other similar product are based on generic motherboards with “custom” software. You could look at them as a repackaged computer.

What makes the microRendu different is that the actual hardware is custom made. The core components – CPU and RAM chips etc – are of course standard items, but the mother board is completely unique with non standard ancillary circuits and selected components. It also has an onboard Regen.

The microRendu is a highly specialized do-one-thing-well machine.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

FNetwork renderers have been around for about a decade and they pretty much all are computers built for the sole purpose of processing audio. The review to me suggests that the mR is the first product based on that design concept.

Anyway, your input has got me intrigued. Thanks!

They may be conceived of for that purpose, but few are built/designed - including the boards, OS, etc., - solely for that purpose. The mR is one of the few that is.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Is here anybody from Germany/Munich whom i could contact via mail or phone and ask him/her something about this topic. I've some really simple questions i don't want to ask in this forum. Nothing dramatic but fundamental. You can send me a message here. Thx Roland

my actual configuration is Macmini - Pure Music - QB-9 - Amp

sonic Transporter; USB-HD; micro Rendu; Ayre QB-9; "The first Dan" integrated Amp; Speakers Napoleone (selfmade with Bauer/Blumenhofer Technology and know how); Roon; most Soundfiles AIFF and "The first Dan" Phonopre; Bauer DPS 2 Turntabble.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the sound quality of the Microrendu to a local digital source such as the Melco N1A playing files from the internal disk drives and with direct USB connection to the DAC? I am curious if avoiding potential noise from a router or other devices on a network is necessary for best possible sound. Thanks.

You can isolate the microRendu from the wired network with two MC200CM, or similar, and a cat7 cable into the mR. See the "Network Isolation" thread on CA.

And remember, the network connection is already "isolated" by specification, even without additional gizmos...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 2 months later...
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the sound quality of the Microrendu to a local digital source such as the Melco N1A playing files from the internal disk drives and with direct USB connection to the DAC? I am curious if avoiding potential noise from a router or other devices on a network is necessary for best possible sound. Thanks.

I have my mRendu connected to the network through the Melco, so it benefits from some degree of isolation via the Melco. The sound quality of the two is really very close when connected in this way and by USB into the DAC. I haven't tried connecting the mRendu directly to the network or using my Synology NAS just because the Melco does such a good job.

Is a network (switch or router) required? If yes, which one (a switch or router)?

I am asking, because I would like my laptop to directly feed the microRendu, running PonoMusicWorld's version of JRiver.

My flac files are stored on my laptop's SSD.

Can I run an Ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the microRendu?

Is a network (switch or router) required? If yes, which one (a switch or router)?

I am asking, because I would like my laptop to directly feed the microRendu, running PonoMusicWorld's version of JRiver.

My flac files are stored on my laptop's SSD.

Can I run an Ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the microRendu?

There is some information about this topic here. However, I have not tried PonoMusicWorld's version of JRiver and have not feedback from customers on it.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-direct-connection-mac-pc-beta-28606/

• 4 weeks later...
I've been following only casually (sorry) but if someone could indulge with a sentence, what does this do that an Auralic Aries doesn't? (I asked in the part 1 review) i.e. apart from SQ, why is it the hottest thing? I'm worried I've missed something basic.

HQPlayer's NAA

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hi,

I own the MicroRendu and a friend owns the Airies. We've not done a shoot out but we both have excellent systems and I've long enjoyed his Airies. When he added a Regen it brought it up to another level. But the MicroRendu sounds awesome in my system. It's probably system dependent.

Airies comes with a nice linear power supply which some choose to replace. MicroRendu is not supplied with a linear power supply. The better the linear power supply one supplies, the better the sound. I had a HD Plex available so I used it. The new UpTone Audio LPS-1 is supposed to be one of the best. I have one ordered so I'll know soon.

The reason I bought the MicroRendu? I use ROON and HQPlayer and that enables one to use the MicroRendu as an NAA for HQPLAYER. To me that's a big advantage. My system sounds awesome when I connected it this way.

Airies is rumored to be programmed soon with an NAA option but this rumor has been around for a while and nothing's happened. If it had the NAA option I'd go with the Airies.

Airies has its own proprietary operating system called Lightning but can also work with ROON. . It seems very good and easy to use. Airies seems to always be synched with his network and always ready to play. My MicroRendu seems to be temperamental and needs restarted but whether it's the problem, ROON, or HQPlayer, or a bit of all three who can tell?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

I own the MicroRendu and a friend owns the Airies. We've not done a shoot out but we both have excellent systems and I've long enjoyed his Airies. When he added a Regen it brought it up to another level. But the MicroRendu sounds awesome in my system. It's probably system dependent.

Yes, surely it is system and DAC dependant.

Airies comes with a nice linear power supply which some choose to replace. MicroRendu is not supplied with a linear power supply. The better the linear power supply one supplies, the better the sound. I had a HD Plex available so I used it. The new UpTone Audio LPS-1 is supposed to be one of the best. I have one ordered so I'll know soon.

I have an Uptone JS-2 with which I power a mini (via the MMK), and I use the secondary output to power a W4S USB Reclocker (which reclocks the mini USB out).

When I get the microRendu I will connect it directly to the DAC using the secondary JS-2 supply (so no reclocker) and use it as an NAA.

The reason I bought the MicroRendu? I use ROON and HQPlayer and that enables one to use the MicroRendu as an NAA for HQPLAYER. To me that's a big advantage. My system sounds awesome when I connected it this way.

Can you comment on the stability and sound quality of this combo please?

Airies is rumored to be programmed soon with an NAA option but this rumor has been around for a while and nothing's happened. If it had the NAA option I'd go with the Airies.

Yes... I asked on this forum about two years ago...

Airies has its own proprietary operating system called Lightning but can also work with ROON. . It seems very good and easy to use. Airies seems to always be synched with his network and always ready to play. My MicroRendu seems to be temperamental and needs restarted but whether it's the problem, ROON, or HQPlayer, or a bit of all three who can tell?

I use Aries with Roon as a RoonSpeaker, and it works very well - but no NAA so no HQP upsampling... I really don't like the restarting bit you're talking about... Roon+HQP out of the same computer is very stable for me. Is it the use of NAA that interferes?

Thx.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

---End Quote---

Yes, surely it is system and DAC dependant.

---Quote---

---End Quote---

I have an Uptone JS-2 with which I power a mini (via the MMK), and I use the secondary output to power a W4S USB Reclocker (which reclocks the mini USB out).

When I get the microRendu I will connect it directly to the DAC using the secondary JS-2 supply (so no reclocker) and use it as an NAA.

---Quote---

---End Quote---

Can you comment on the stability and sound quality of this combo please?

---Quote---

---End Quote---

Yes... I asked on this forum about two years ago...

---Quote---

---End Quote---

I use Aries with Roon as a RoonSpeaker, and it works very well - but no NAA so no HQP upsampling... I really don't like the restarting bit you're talking about... Roon+HQP out of the same computer is very stable for me. Is it the use of NAA that interferes?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

What's people's experience with NAA from HQP? Is it rock solid?

system pics

Auralic's customer service tells me there's no current plans to incorporate NAA in the Aries firmware.

system pics

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, the path showed for your review was; NAS > Cisco Switch > microRendu > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference. I was wondering what USB cable you used?

Thanks

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.