IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I'm new to this thread and am hoping this topic wasn't previously discussed - I'm running a Synology server to a W4S DAC-2 DSDse via a PC and would love to replace the PC with your uRendu. In order to play DSD files I need something to repackage the DSD into DoP containers in order to send them on to your product. W4S tells me new firmware is in the works that will run on the uRendu. Is this true and do you have a timeframe? Also, are there other options I have overlooked that could run on the Linux based Synology? If I didn't care about DSD, could I just connect the Synology to the uRendu and play my hires FLAC files? Sorry for all the questions :)

The microRendu needs to be connected to a router or switch and so does the NAS. When you work out the server on the NAS and the corresponding output mode on the microRendu it would be able to send DSD/DoP to your DAC. The firmware update they spoke to you about is for native DSD support only.

The microRendu needs to be connected to a router or switch and so does the NAS. When you work out the server on the NAS and the corresponding output mode on the microRendu it would be able to send DSD/DoP to your DAC. The firmware update they spoke to you about is for native DSD support only.

OK, then two points I still don't understand -

1) when you say "work out the server on the NAS", what do you mean?

2) am I correct that the microRendu does the conversion of .DSF and .DFF files to DoP?

I'm close to understanding but I need this clarification. Thanks!

"Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" J. Tull

OK, then two points I still don't understand -

1) when you say "work out the server on the NAS", what do you mean?

2) am I correct that the microRendu does the conversion of .DSF and .DFF files to DoP?

I'm close to understanding but I need this clarification. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure what was meant is when you decide what server software to use on the NAS (there are multiple options) and connect and configure it properly. Also the DSD is packaged into DoP at the server end not in the microRendu.

I'm pretty sure what was meant is when you decide what server software to use on the NAS (there are multiple options) and connect and configure it properly. Also the DSD is packaged into DoP at the server end not in the microRendu.

For example: 1. DLNA. 2. Logitech Media Server. 3. Roon. 4. MinimServer. DoP encapsulation takes place in various locations...I would not worry about where.

For example: 1. DLNA. 2. Logitech Media Server. 3. Roon. 4. MinimServer. DoP encapsulation takes place in various locations...I would not worry about where.

My Synology 212j runs Linux and I have been using it to just serve up files to a PC running foobar2k as the music manager. I believe the Atom processor does not have enough horsepower to run a media manager as well as supply hires files without dropouts. Am I wrong in thinking this (Synology has discontinued this model but it runs flawlessly in my current configuration). I feel this may be the wrong forum now to ask questions as to what media software people may be running on their Synology servers (but I just did :).

Thanks!

My Synology 212j runs Linux and I have been using it to just serve up files to a PC running foobar2k as the music manager. I believe the Atom processor does not have enough horsepower to run a media manager as well as supply hires files without dropouts. Am I wrong in thinking this (Synology has discontinued this model but it runs flawlessly in my current configuration). I feel this may be the wrong forum now to ask questions as to what media software people may be running on their Synology servers (but I just did :).

Thanks!

I have not tried that NAS, but I see no reason why it can't function as a DLNA server.

Thanks!

The minimum setup with a Synology NAS is as follows: 1) Synology own Media Server serving DLNA; 2) microRendu set for MPD/DLNA; 3) some computer or mobile device running a UPnP control point such as Lumin, Kazoo, or BubbleUPnP; 4) router providing DHCP and other routing services to 1-3). If you are willing to mess with Java installation on the NAS, you can install Minimserver, which provides a somewhat nicer set of library browsing and tagging options than Media Server.

Most recently, I moved from Minimserver+BubbleUPnP to running a dedicated server (Intel NUC with Ubuntu Linux) and Roon (I've also heard good things about this, which avoids the NUC's DYI aspect). Roon indexes my music on the NAS, and serves it to a couple of Sonore devices, controlled by Roon apps on my laptop, tablet, and phone. This costs quite a bit more, although I really like the overall quality and experience.

I'm new to this world, and have a couple of questions. First, I just ordered my unendurable a little over a week ago, and wondered when it might ships. Second, I've seen no mention of whether the urendu will work with the Hegel H160 integrated amp with built-in Dac. Anyone tried this combo? I look forward to becoming a contributor to this forum.

Don Ivey

I'm new to this world, and have a couple of questions. First, I just ordered my unendurable a little over a week ago, and wondered when it might ships. Second, I've seen no mention of whether the urendu will work with the Hegel H160 integrated amp with built-in Dac. Anyone tried this combo? I look forward to becoming a contributor to this forum.

Don Ivey

On the page for the unit at the Hegel site, it says it works with Apple and Ubuntu (Linux version) devices. The mR has a variant of Linux. So it should work.

If it doesn't contact Sonore and Hegel. If Hegel has a pretty good idea about how the mR OS is setup (you find out from Sonore) they will probably be able to solve any issue you have. I asked Hegel a similar question about the HD30, and they said they will work with customers who use a Linux implementation to get their setup working.

Duh...I just remembered that Sonore sells Hegel. Just write them and they can probably give you a definitive answer.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The minimum setup with a Synology NAS is as follows: 1) Synology own Media Server serving DLNA; 2) microRendu set for MPD/DLNA; 3) some computer or mobile device running a UPnP control point such as Lumin, Kazoo, or BubbleUPnP; 4) router providing DHCP and other routing services to 1-3). If you are willing to mess with Java installation on the NAS, you can install Minimserver, which provides a somewhat nicer set of library browsing and tagging options than Media Server.

Most recently, I moved from Minimserver+BubbleUPnP to running a dedicated server (Intel NUC with Ubuntu Linux) and Roon (I've also heard good things about this, which avoids the NUC's DYI aspect). Roon indexes my music on the NAS, and serves it to a couple of Sonore devices, controlled by Roon apps on my laptop, tablet, and phone. This costs quite a bit more, although I really like the overall quality and experience.

Thank you EarnMyTurns - nice to get useful information from someone a few miles away (I'm in Los Gatos). I've been running the MediaServer since the beginning using both my Sonos and Oppo as clients. I didn't think the uRendu would be just another client. However I was (am) unsure about who does the encapsulation of DSD into DoP packets if there is no media manager like FB2k to perform that function but Sonore says don't worry about it - it will be done in the uRendu. Still researching your suggestions for control points to install on my laptop. Thanks again - you helped a lot :)

Addendum to my post to earnmyturns - I should have said the DSD to DoP encapsulation is performed by the W4S device driver rather than fb2k.

I didn't think the uRendu would be just another client. However I was (am) unsure about who does the encapsulation of DSD into DoP packets if there is no media manager like FB2k to perform that function but Sonore says don't worry about it - it will be done in the uRendu. Still researching your suggestions for control points to install on my laptop. Thanks again - you helped a lot :)

Since neither of my two DACs does DSD, I've not looked into that. As for control points, it's possible to use the Synology Web interface to control play over DLNA, but it's not a great interface. I prefer apps on my Android mobile devices, originally BubbleUPnP for DLNA, now Roon (the Roon Mac app is also nice). But Roon is another level of complexity and expense, although it works very well once it's installed and configured.

Thank you EarnMyTurns - nice to get useful information from someone a few miles away (I'm in Los Gatos). I've been running the MediaServer since the beginning using both my Sonos and Oppo as clients. I didn't think the uRendu would be just another client. However I was (am) unsure about who does the encapsulation of DSD into DoP packets if there is no media manager like FB2k to perform that function but Sonore says don't worry about it - it will be done in the uRendu. Still researching your suggestions for control points to install on my laptop. Thanks again - you helped a lot :)

mconnectHD is another control for iPad.

rogerdn

Look what my VP Adrian dropped off today as a surprise. Seems he had a little project going on that I didn't know about:)

Hard adapter replacement custom made for Sonore in the USA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28487[/ATTACH]

Nice! The Uptone guys will be jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look what my VP Adrian dropped off today as a surprise. Seems he had a little project going on that I didn't know about:)

Hard adapter replacement custom made for Sonore in the USA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28487[/ATTACH]

A tip/request. A number of posts have discussed the desirability of an adaptor that incorporates a 90 twist that turns the uR on its side. John S. has recommended such a vertical orientation for heat dissipation reasons. Maybe it could be offered "straight" or with "a twist". ;)

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the switchers on my microRendu and Chord 2Qute DAC.

Both require 1A but is there any benefit in going for a 2A + liners whilst I'm making the change?

Thanks

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A