IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

That contradicts their website. The website has the cat 6 rated for 250 MHz and the cat 6a rated for 500 MHz. Anyway, I'm not trying to argue the point.

I'm not either...I'm just stating what I was told via email when I specifically asked.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Need recommendation on potential setup.

Just ordered the microRendu with basic power supply. Will be testing out in a system that has MacMini Late 2014 8GB with USB attached 5TB WD desktop drive. The DAC is Audio Alchemy DDP-1. Will be using JRiver on the Mac. No NAS nor do I really want/need can really deploy one in my environment (upstairs network cable cable box and WiFi Access Point. Is there any reason to abandon the Mac Mini for this setup? Are there real sonic benefits in other implementations?

Eventually would consider replacing the Aurender N10 in my downstairs audio system (see signature below for config) in favor of the microRendu connecting into the Berkeley Alpha USB. So, it's either continue using the Mac w. USB attached drive, or some other means of getting the music into the microRendu. Obviously a NAS would need be away from the listening area, since these generally are noisy from past experience (unless spending bucks on SSD based type). Correct me if I'm wrong. That would suggest using Powerline (though I'm leery of using that means of getting the bits to the microRendu). Or I could at least try using my current Eero mesh network for moving all the bits around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I'm using a powerline ethernet adapter right now and seems to work well, but am a bit concerned about noise in this scenario. That being said, Ethernet is packet-based and has error checking/correction, so would noise really be an issue, or is it simply a matter of max data throughout limitations for things like large DSD files/streaming??

Microrendu site says if direct ethernet cable from router is not possible, to try powerline/home plug Ethernet, but doesn't describe the potential downside...

I'm using a powerline ethernet adapter right now and seems to work well, but am a bit concerned about noise in this scenario. That being said, Ethernet is packet-based and has error checking/correction, so would noise really be an issue, or is it simply a matter of max data throughout limitations for things like large DSD files/streaming??

Microrendu site says if direct ethernet cable from router is not possible, to try powerline/home plug Ethernet, but doesn't describe the potential downside...

I want to be clear that the Sonore website does not make any recommendations regarding "powerline/home plug" adapters. I have always recommended a direct Ethernet connection to a router as the best approach. I understand that people have different needs and are always looking for connection options, but I try not to get into that. That said, we have dealers that make recommendations and it's best to ask them about it. Finally, I have not tried these so I can't qualify what limitations / impact on SQ they may or may not have.

Need recommendation on potential setup.

Just ordered the microRendu with basic power supply. Will be testing out in a system that has MacMini Late 2014 8GB with USB attached 5TB WD desktop drive. The DAC is Audio Alchemy DDP-1. Will be using JRiver on the Mac. No NAS nor do I really want/need can really deploy one in my environment (upstairs network cable cable box and WiFi Access Point. Is there any reason to abandon the Mac Mini for this setup? Are there real sonic benefits in other implementations?

I would be okay with this. You could try running MinimServer on the Mac as an alternative server.

Eventually would consider replacing the Aurender N10 in my downstairs audio system (see signature below for config) in favor of the microRendu connecting into the Berkeley Alpha USB. So, it's either continue using the Mac w. USB attached drive, or some other means of getting the music into the microRendu. Obviously a NAS would need be away from the listening area, since these generally are noisy from past experience (unless spending bucks on SSD based type). Correct me if I'm wrong. That would suggest using Powerline (though I'm leery of using that means of getting the bits to the microRendu). Or I could at least try using my current Eero mesh network for moving all the bits around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is where I would look to update the PS. I would not have an issue using the Mac as stated above, but a NAS would allow you to turn off or remove the Mac all together. If you can wire the downstairs audio system.

The USB IDs came from a MSB Analog DAC, but they "should" be the same for the other USB models. If not we will have to update the Kernel again. No news to report on the Amenero Combo384 Module.

Jesus,

I am assuming when there is an update for the MSB native DSD it will be a general firmware update different than the current or will you be posting something specific for our DACS to update?

Thanks

Howie

Jesus,

I am assuming when there is an update for the MSB native DSD it will be a general firmware update different than the current or will you be posting something specific for our DACS to update?

Thanks

Howie

Update your unit and give it a try. I need to clear an unrelated item before I make the official announcement.

I posted on the Holo Spring dac page that the uRendu is updated and now able to stream Linux native DSD to DSD512 for the Holo Spring dac. Thanks to Jesus, Juergen, Andrew and Tim for the work.

I've got an Uptone Audio Regen, as well as the microRendu now - however, did I read somewhere that the Regen is not required with the Microrendu, and/or doesn't really add or improve anything? If so, having a hard time finding that info...

The mR basically has a Regen built in. Pretty sure there's a John Swenson post somewhere saying that. So you don't need both.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've got an Uptone Audio Regen, as well as the microRendu now - however, did I read somewhere that the Regen is not required with the Microrendu, and/or doesn't really add or improve anything? If so, having a hard time finding that info...
Look at Part 1 of the Microrendu review.You will see this :

"In addition the design of the microRendu's USB architecture generates a completely new USB data signal and is highly optimized for signal integrity and impedance matching. To quote John Swenson, designer of both the microRendu and USB REGEN, "The microRendu does contain a circuit which is essentially an improved REGEN. There is no need to add an external REGEN between it and a DAC."

Update your unit and give it a try. I need to clear an unrelated item before I make the official announcement.

Jesus,

Thanks.

Got it running, however, I am having some issues after the update. Not sure if it is specific to my unit or a general issue. I couldn't get DLNA to work yet Roon worked fine. Finally removed the DLNA app, reinstalled it and still nothing. Finally shutting down the unit, turning it back on THEN attaching the USB cable already attached to my DAC enabled DLNA. Then tried to go back to Roon and had the same problem when going back to Roon.

Before the update just a change in app was all that was required for all to be recognized without any rebooting/turning off, etc.

Not sure if anything happened during the update as the screen just said "complete" after all the steps and the web app works fine and all apps show up correctly.

Any comments? Is there are way to reflash the update?

Thanks

Jesus,

Thanks.

Got it running, however, I am having some issues after the update. Not sure if it is specific to my unit or a general issue. I couldn't get DLNA to work yet Roon worked fine. Finally removed the DLNA app, reinstalled it and still nothing. Finally shutting down the unit, turning it back on THEN attaching the USB cable already attached to my DAC enabled DLNA. Then tried to go back to Roon and had the same problem when going back to Roon.

Before the update just a change in app was all that was required for all to be recognized without any rebooting/turning off, etc.

Not sure if anything happened during the update as the screen just said "complete" after all the steps and the web app works fine and all apps show up correctly.

Any comments? Is there are way to reflash the update?

Thanks

We didn't change anything on the DLNA output mode, but maybe you were behind on some updates. Sounds like you just need to re-initialize the output modes. Go to Settings and in each output look things over and press Save.

Update Notice:

Over the next 24 hours your units should display in Software Manager that a new version 2.3 is available for update. If you can't wait you can power cycle the unit and the new vision should appear right away. This update is not reversible.

New to version 2.3:

1. We have updated to the latest version of Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on the unit.

2. SqueezeLite now supports native DSD. Both .DFF and .DSF are supported up to DSD256. This update also supports native DSD to the Amanero USB interface (beta feature) found on DIY DACs and on some Lampizator DACs. From Settings / SqueezeLite there is a new DSD dropdown menu where you can select: None, DoP, Native DSD, and Native DSD (Amanero). In order to stream native DSD you will need a version of LMS that also supports native DSD. LMS on the sonicTransporter, SonicOrbiter SE, and a second microRendu supports native DSD streaming to SqueezeLite. For your convenience we will start to offer a combo deal (microRendu / sonicTransporter / iFi) right on the microRendu product page.

3. RoonReady has been upgraded to the latest per a request Roon Labs. Also, we have improved the post update process based on feedback from customers.

4. The Linux Kernel for the unit has been updated to add support for additional devices that support native DSD. The complete list of supported devices is found here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

Please follow this update procedure if you have not done so already:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices. Failure to allow this step to complete could brick your unit. Do not attempt this update on an unstable network. Sonore is not responsible if you brick your unit, but we can help you recover from it.

4. Power cycle your unit.

5. Optional - When the unit boots up if you are having issues go to Settings and from the configuration page look things over and press Save.

Enjoy!

Just received the µRendu today and got it set up working with JRMC on the MacMini w. WD Drive feeding the DDP-1. Sweet. Such a difference over prior USB feed to Wyred4Sound RUR to DDP-1. Able to crank things up in the room, since the noise floor is so, so much lower. Clarity and naturalness of sound is most evident. Down the road I will likely upgrade to your power supply, as well as giving other software servers a go, if they are likely to offer better audio quality. Seems others are using the HQPlayer, especially with Roon. [fyi...this is not the system in my signature but my home theater upstairs with many "cast offs" from prior audio]

All in all, so far, and I've only just put this into play, this is a shockingly great way to get the bits into the DAC!

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Peachtree switched to a different USB chip quite a while ago. I have no idea what chip is in what product at this point.

John S.

If the Mac doesn't need any USB AUdio drivers installed for my Peachtree, is it safe to say that the microRendu (running Linux) should be safe too?

Or too risky?

Peachtree say I only need to install their audio drivers on Windows PC's, not Macs

Does Reboot work for most people here?

I ask as Halt works as expected, Reboot always fails for me. The mR counts down and the GUI doesn't come back, even if I point the browser direct at the relevant IP address, I have to remove and re-attach the PSU. For the firmware upgrade I had to do this twice.

Thx,

M