IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Hello everyone!

Has anyone preferred the fancy USB cable to the hard adapter? Asking because I'm about to get the WW Platinum 7 to try with uR while constantly reading that most prefer the hard adapter.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Hello everyone!

Has anyone preferred the fancy USB cable to the hard adapter? Asking because I'm about to get the WW Platinum 7 to try with uR while constantly reading that most prefer the hard adapter.

Even though I do not own a microRendu (but Aries) I know a thing or two about USB cables.

In my experiance (with many different USB cables) the perfect USB cable is a short unshielded 3-wire USB cable with sheilded USB plugs (a 2-wire dito is probably even better but most likely require a star ground to function properly). Since there is no USB cables with sheilded plugs around I would recomend that you try the SBooster Vbus2 Isolator on both the WW Platinum 7 and on the hard adapter...and listen. But before you do so make sure that your DAC does'nt require USB power or handshake/hello. AFAIK the WW Platinum 7 is sheilded...so a Intona USB Isolator could likely do some "magic" as well by isolating the shielding (galvantic Isolation). Not on the hard adapter though if you use Vbus2...since it is not sheilded.

Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I made my own very short cable from two screened pieces of satellite coax and separate power lines. Shields for connectors connected together with a dedicated shield wire. Working very nicely with my Rendu and sounds better than a short USB hifi cable I bought. I made it as the USB mini adapter supplied isn't perfect for the Rendu when using my Brooklyn Dac and using other ports on the Brooklyn for cable access.

My design approach was to get as close as possible to the copper tracks of a jumper cable inside a device and have minimal length to remove its effect as much as possible. It's shorter than many internal cables for PCs etc

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1469137802.156964.jpg

I have to drop in and say how friggin amazing this product is. Awesome job on the miccrorendu. It sounds amazing. Thank you. I am floored by the difference from my other sources. I did not even compare them. I just unplugged the other two I was going to compare against.

I have to drop in and say how friggin amazing this product is. Awesome job on the miccrorendu. It sounds amazing. Thank you. I am floored by the difference from my other sources. I did not even compare them. I just unplugged the other two I was going to compare against.

Thanks for posting your impressions!

Update:

We have completed some updates to the Shairport output mode.

Please follow this upgrade procedure for the microRendu:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

Ok, got this working today. The microRendu is glorious. This is absolutely the best my system has sounded.

ReadyNas Duo running MiniDLNA ---> MicroRendu ---> Schiit Gumby ---> Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ---> Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 ---> Room full of amazing music!

I use an android tablet runninh Linn Kazoo as control. Tidal works and i was able to mix playlist of tidal and my music. Don't see spotify. I couldn't get the Lumin app to work, but I didn't try long.

I came from a Unitiqute as source feeding the Gumby. There really is no comparison. Every audiophile cliche applies.

Get one, order it now. I have been listening all day just consuming song after song. It is glorious. Even Tidal sounds great.

Thanks, just upgraded by two µrendus. Strange that when I use 'Reboot' the unit from the second batch reboots, but the one from the first doesn't. It just never comes back up in the MySonicOrbiter screen—I have to go and unplug/replug.

Update:

We have completed some updates to the Shairport output mode.

Please follow this upgrade procedure for the microRendu:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

Will it show 2.3?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks, just upgraded by two µrendus. Strange that when I use 'Reboot' the unit from the second batch reboots, but the one from the first doesn't. It just never comes back up in the MySonicOrbiter screen—I have to go and unplug/replug.

We have not isolated this. It occurs when one presses reboot in which case the unit shuts down and it's difficult to watch for logs at that point.

We have not isolated this. It occurs when one presses reboot in which case the unit shuts down and it's difficult to watch for logs at that point.

No problem at all—it's a very minor annoyance that in no way detracts from your wonderful sounding product!

Ok, got this working today. The microRendu is glorious. This is absolutely the best my system has sounded.

ReadyNas Duo running MiniDLNA ---> MicroRendu ---> Schiit Gumby ---> Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ---> Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 ---> Room full of amazing music!

I use an android tablet runninh Linn Kazoo as control. Tidal works and i was able to mix playlist of tidal and my music. Don't see spotify. I couldn't get the Lumin app to work, but I didn't try long.

I came from a Unitiqute as source feeding the Gumby. There really is no comparison. Every audiophile cliche applies.

Get one, order it now. I have been listening all day just consuming song after song. It is glorious. Even Tidal sounds great.

Thanks for the update, that's great feedback and it looks like mR is a good transport option for me. Were you using the Unitiqute into the Cronus amp directly before? Could you give a description of the sonic gains you experienced first by adding Gumby to the Unitiqute, then with mR? And are there any downsides to both these changes i.e. anything lost such as the Naim prat/dynamics?

My feeling is that using mR into Gumby may be plenty good enough for me vs spending a lot more on an Yggdrasil or Naim DAC v1. I've heard DAC v1 fed by a Unitiqute, and Gumby but in different systems, and liked both compared to UQ alone but didn't feel like the DAC v1 was a night and day difference.

So the big question for me is can I introduce mR and a good DAC (maybe Schiit Gungnir or even an Yggdrasil), without losing the easy control and streaming service integration I get with a Unitiqute or Bluesound Node2. I considered Chromecast Audio, but based on users' impressions I think that mR would make far more sense with the level of DACs I'm looking at.

My first digital audio system was UnitiQute>KEF LS50s connected by wired Ethernet to a Synology NAS serving DLNA with Synology's Media Server, with BubbleUPnP or the Naim app as Android control points. Since then, I've upgraded to two different systems. Headphones: microRendu>Schiit Bifrost Multibit (Bimby)>Schiit Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime. Speakers: Sonicorbiter SE>Bel Canto mLink>Bel Canto C7R>KEF Reference 1s. Same ease in accessing my FLAC library as with the UnitiQute. I don't use streaming services with these systems, so I can't advise on that.

Update: Regarding your questions to Brubacca, both of the systems I have now best the UnitiQute, with cleaner, crisper attack and decay (think acoustic guitar, cymbals, piano), and realism in how harmonics combine (think voices, solo violin, jazz double bass. Even though I liked the UnitiQute when I got it, compared with the new systems with the same speakers or headphones, it sounded veiled, with edges overly smoothed out. I expect a Gumby to do even better than the Bimby, but I'm waiting for this summer's Schiit announcements to decide what to upgrade when.

Thanks for the update, that's great feedback and it looks like mR is a good transport option for me. Were you using the Unitiqute into the Cronus amp directly before? Could you give a description of the sonic gains you experienced first by adding Gumby to the Unitiqute, then with mR? And are there any downsides to both these changes i.e. anything lost such as the Naim prat/dynamics?

My feeling is that using mR into Gumby may be plenty good enough for me vs spending a lot more on an Yggdrasil or Naim DAC v1. I've heard DAC v1 fed by a Unitiqute, and Gumby but in different systems, and liked both compared to UQ alone but didn't feel like the DAC v1 was a night and day difference.

I did use the Qute into tne Cronus directly. First I'll note that the Qute continues to sound best to me not over ethernet, but with a USB drive plugged in. Great transients and PRAT. A bit harsh on the top end. Sounds like a good stereo component reproducing music.

Add Gumby- my impression here was that it lost some of the PRAT. Music sounded real though. I mean it sounded like musicians in the room. More analog like sound.

Swap microRendu for Qute- Music over the network now sounds great. More PRAT than the previous combination. Highs are more detailed not harsh. I can listen to pearll jam again! Lows are more detailed, possibly lower noise floor. It makes me think that I am hearing the best of Gumby..

I have also heard a CDX2 on my amp. That is the standard I am reaching for. Tons of PRAT and detail. My combo is closer, but not there. It is plenty for me because I just can't swing for YGGY or DAC V1. By reputation Gumby is a bit dialed back a bit analog. If i had the money to spend I'd probably would have gone YGGY.

Bear in mind these are day 1 Impressions on the mR. It is an awesome device.

More thoughts for you tomorrow.

Hello everyone!

I'm using a 0.7m Supra cable, as the adapter wasn't a good fit in my setup. Can't hear any loss of SQ.

If someone tried a 15-20 cm usb that sounded good and didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd give it a try. There was a post here by someone who tried the specially made Curious "Regen" cable and didn't like it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for your input, firedog!

I'm more interested in high-end line of USB cords since I've owned some and found them to sound much better than average. Also have tested Curious and TotalDac in the "pre-uR era" and didn't liked them either.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

I'm using a 0.7m Supra cable, as the adapter wasn't a good fit in my setup. Can't hear any loss of SQ.

If someone tried a 15-20 cm usb that sounded good and didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd give it a try. There was a post here by someone who tried the specially made Curious "Regen" cable and didn't like it.

My experience mirrors yours. However, I feel the .7m Supra actually improves sound a bit over hard adaptor.

My experience mirrors yours. However, I feel the .7m Supra actually improves sound a bit over hard adaptor.

I feel the same way using a .3m WW Starlight 7 (not the Platinum version).

After a break-in period, the WW cable seems to deliver a bit more flesh/body and bass than the hard adapter did, it's a keeper at $85.

A friend in San Diego has both the above cable and the Platinum version, and though he feels the sweet spot in the line in terms of sheer value is the Starlight 7, he also feels the Platinum is the very best USB cable he's had in his system, and he's had many good ones.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I feel the same way using a .3m WW Starlight 7 (not the Platinum version).

After a break-in period, the WW cable seems to deliver a bit more flesh/body and bass than the hard adapter did, it's a keeper at $85.

[/QUOT

Yes, just what I hear from the Supra.

Would love to hear/try the Starlight.

a bit more flesh/body and bass

Is not quite what I expect. Each and every cable I've tried and owned like AQ Diamond USB has made a huge difference in sound-staging and details retrieval at least.