IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Does the dual supply have a separate transformer for each output? What actually would produce truly separate supplies would be separate power transformers, next best is a single transformer with dual secondaries, with each secondary powering a single supply. Ultimately, for best performance, truly separate supplies will perform best (and a dual supply with two power transformers should be just as good, as long as the internal layout allows for enough spacing between the components internally.

Thanks I'll contact Teddy Pardo and find out the spec.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

Why Teddy Pardo? Anyway, I run an HDPLEX with four rails, and thought my mR and Vortexbox sounded better when not run together (the HD also ran hot) but of course the VB is 5a. But they are now on separate circuits so who knows (I added a HK el cheapo to the Vortexbox in the meantime and it does sound better). Multiple rails is a better investment for potential resale I think since you are not tied into just one voltage/amp combo and therefore can interest more buyers. So maybe try the dual rail first, and then another ps later if you feel the need. Or get an HDPLEX. And if money's tight then the Chinese ones aren't bad, at least for things like nas's and switches.

Thanks.......I'm looking at Teddy Pardo as I already have his version of the Naim XPS which is excellent.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

I am trying to use a Straight Wire USB-F (filtered) Link cable to connect the mRendu with a Berkeley Alpha USB with no luck. The mRendu does not see the Alpha. I don't have this problem with a plain USB cable (unfiltered). Any ideas?

Jim

I am trying to use a Straight Wire USB-F (filtered) Link cable to connect the mRendu with a Berkeley Alpha USB with no luck. The mRendu does not see the Alpha. I don't have this problem with a plain USB cable (unfiltered). Any ideas?

Jim

Just use a plain USB cable (unfiltered)?))

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Jim

Per Straight Wire:

We have found that many component mfgs have recently employed slight filters on the data path

The cumulative effect causes the signal to not be recognized.

Many people are using the USBF with great results – but your situation is not uncommon.

Some people are adding external devices into the signal path with filtering that will cause the same issue

We are working on a power only filtering USB that should be available in October.

Hi.......I have recently moved to Roon core on an iMac feeding a microRendu into a Chord 2Qute DAC and the sound is without doubt the best I've had in my home set-up.

I'd like some advice please re the PSU's for both.

I was very impressed with how my things sounded in a setup of mine when I powered a microRendu with an Uptone JS-2:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-power-supply-unit-observations-considerations-and-commentary-28480/index6.html#post561770

The JS-2 has two outputs which can be set for different DC voltages, so if your Chord DAC is supported by one of those, I expect the lashup should sound quite excellent - but all I've actually heard is my combination of equipment, so of course YMMV.

If you were to start using the JS-2 and later crave isolation between the two power sources, all you'd need to do would be plug one of the upcoming and anxiously anticipated Uptone LPS-1 boxes in one of the power paths.

Jim

Where is the filtering? On the data lines or the power lines?

The microRendu does not use ANY filtering on the data lines, its purpose is to generate the cleanest signal possible, ANY filters distort the signal in some way. Thus I recommend not using any USB filters between the microRendu and a DAC.

Does the filtered cable work with your DAC and some other computer?

John S

I was very impressed with how my things sounded in a setup of mine when I powered a microRendu with an Uptone JS-2:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-power-supply-unit-observations-considerations-and-commentary-28480/index6.html#post561770

The JS-2 has two outputs which can be set for different DC voltages, so if your Chord DAC is supported by one of those, I expect the lashup should sound quite excellent - but all I've actually heard is my combination of equipment, so of course YMMV.

If you were to start using the JS-2 and later crave isolation between the two power sources, all you'd need to do would be plug one of the upcoming and anxiously anticipated Uptone LPS-1 boxes in one of the power paths.

I think I posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but from my experience using a single JS-2 to power both the microRendu and a Chord 2Qute together sounded worse than the JS-2 on the 2Qute with the iFi on the microRendu. JohnS gave an explanation of why this could be so (defeats the galvanic isolation of the 2Qute). However the JS-2 has an incredible synergy with the 2Qute.

I would love to hear a separate JS-2 for both. In fact I'm considering doing exactly that.

Where is the filtering? On the data lines or the power lines?

The microRendu does not use ANY filtering on the data lines, its purpose is to generate the cleanest signal possible, ANY filters distort the signal in some way. Thus I recommend not using any USB filters between the microRendu and a DAC.

Does the filtered cable work with your DAC and some other computer?

John S

Hi John,

It was a new cable that I thought I would try. I am going to send it back and use an unfiltered USB cable such as the Supra which I used with the Regen.

Here is the response from Steven Hill with Straight Wire:

We have found that many component mfgs have recently employed slight filters on the data path

The cumulative effect causes the signal to not be recognized.

Many people are using the USBF with great results – but your situation is not uncommon.

Some people are adding external devices into the signal path with filtering that will cause the same issue

We are working on a power only filtering USB that should be available in October.

Thanks and the Upton JS-2 looks good.

What is the Upton LPS-1?

I think I posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but from my experience using a single JS-2 to power both the microRendu and a Chord 2Qute together sounded worse than the JS-2 on the 2Qute with the iFi on the microRendu. JohnS gave an explanation of why this could be so (defeats the galvanic isolation of the 2Qute). However the JS-2 has an incredible synergy with the 2Qute.

I would love to hear a separate JS-2 for both. In fact I'm considering doing exactly that.

So from what I'm reading, separate PSU's for microRendu and DAC is the best way to go.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thanks and the Upton JS-2 looks good.

What is the Upton LPS-1?

The Uptone LPS-1 is an upcoming product: a DC power supply based on switched banks of supercapacitors. From what I read, when available it should complete isolation of the provided DC's ground from, well, everything.

While it shouldn't require an energizing supply as good as a JS-2, one LPS-1 could (I believe; I don't speak for Uptone) ensure isolation between the two outputs' grounds.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/mystery-revealed-uptone-audio-ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-a-28609/

Basically, one LPS-1 should be able to give you the functional equivalent of two separate power supplies using the two outputs of a single JS-2.

So from what I'm reading, separate PSU's for microRendu and DAC is the best way to go.

Excuse me for jumping in: From reading too many CA posts, I think that situation with one JS-2 powering the microRendu and the Chord described above is specific to Chord DACs due to their inherent USB input design. It seems that with other DAC brands, one JS-2 is a capable solution for powering two devices such as mRendu and a DAC that doesn't normally plug into the AC mains. (But I could be wrong.)

I've been considering just such a setup except that the JS-2 would power a microRendu and a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy (I run two streams into my DAC-audiophile and everyone else, aka iTunes).

Then again, I suppose a "best case" situation might be as you described: Separate supplies for each device even if you could use the JS-2 on the second device.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Excuse me for jumping in: From reading too many CA posts, I think that situation with one JS-2 powering the microRendu and the Chord described above is specific to Chord DACs due to their inherent USB input design. It seems that with other DAC brands, one JS-2 is a capable solution for powering two devices such as mRendu and a DAC that doesn't normally plug into the AC mains. (But I could be wrong.)

Actually I think I am wrong! Too bad the delete button doesn't work indefinitely. Again, apologies--reading too many posts and getting things conflated! (Where's that embarrassed emoji?!?)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

If you're stuck with a SOSE (i.e. haven't moved up to microRendu yet), you can improve the sound a little bit by plugging in an Audioquest Jitterbug into the spare USB socket on the SOSE. My setup is as follows: SOSE->REGEN->AQ RED DAC-> EARMAX H'PHONE AMP->SENNHEISER HD600. ROON server is on an I-5 laptop, also with an AQ Jitterbug plugged into one of the USB sockets. Sheer bliss, listening to my ripped CDs and Tidal albums.

Actually I think I am wrong! Too bad the delete button doesn't work indefinitely. Again, apologies--reading too many posts and getting things conflated! (Where's that embarrassed emoji?!?)

Geez, I doubt the JS-2 would offer two rails if they weren't damn good together on, say, a mRendu and a DAC. I use both. Alex C. or John S. care to clarify before rumors start flying?

How come the microRendu runs twice as hot when feeding a Mutec USB compared to straight to DAC? (hoping this isn't obvious...)

What power draw does the Mutec have? Does your DAC not use the 5V. It would seem that the Mutec is drawing more power and thus heating up the mRendu. Others with input on this? Jesus?

How come the microRendu runs twice as hot when feeding a Mutec USB compared to straight to DAC? (hoping this isn't obvious...)

It probably draws more amps. Just shut down the Mutec when you are not using it and the microRendu will cool off significantly.

Thanks.......I'm looking at Teddy Pardo as I already have his version of the Naim XPS which is excellent.

Hi,

There's info on this on the Optical Networks thread. Several of us are using $12 Jameco LPSs, (wall wart style), and I've noticed a slight improvement over the stock, and the Ifi. Before investing in a $350+ unit, - you may want to consider the Jameco. The Jameco's are rated at 9v .5a, - but they work fine as a replacement.

Cheers,

Good afternoon.

Is there anybody who has a real experince on pairing of Luxman DA-06 and microRendu? Is it working?

Thanks.

prem,

Yes, I just tried the microRendu with the Luxman DA-06 and pair works well. I am currently running Logitech Media Server. I have several dacs now and am evaluating my system and trying to decide what I may let go to simplify.