IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Anyone using the mR with the 9V output of a HDPLEX 100W LPS?

I notice volume is somewhat lower than I was getting using a Regen into a NUC sever. Consequently, even though SQ is much improved in terms of digital harshness, detail etc the sound is somewhat anaemic.

You need to be more specific and describe the output mode, server used, etc.

For those with Windows10/HQP/NAA and still having trouble finding your endpoint or dac consider this. Open Control Panel then click on View small icons in the upper right. Click on Network and Sharing Center. Then on the left click on Advanced Sharing Center then under Network Discovery then check Turn on Network Discovery. It may help. When on it says once checked then this computer can see other networks and 'DEVICES'... If you try let me know if it works for you.

Good point.

Hi Bob,

there is no hard and fast temperature. I refuse to give a specific temperature, this will lead people to believe that if you are at or below everything is perfect forever, 1 degree above and it will explode in 5 seconds. I'm trying to instill that this is broad fuzzy range, on the lower end, probably fine, on the upper end maybe not, but it might work great for 20 years. That is why I use the hold the finger on, it is NOT a specific temperature, it is open to interpretation etc. that is what I want. The "hold finger on" is low enough that the probability of thermal issues is very low.

So if you can hold your finger on it, don't worry.

John S.

If you turn off the DAC when you are not using it the unit will cool off significantly.

The update can leave things uninitialized and you just need to press Save from the output mode in use in Settings to configure things again.

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try this evening and report back.

The only hesitation that I have is that if I remember correctly, the NAA App setting does not have anything to change / save .. Also noticed that when I try to reboot the device via WebGui that it just shuts down and does not "reboot".

BB

Anyone using the mR with the 9V output of a HDPLEX 100W LPS?

I notice volume is somewhat lower than I was getting using a Regen into a NUC sever. Consequently, even though SQ is much improved in terms of digital harshness, detail etc the sound is somewhat anaemic.

Running mine the same (ipower before) set at 7v and if anything I've not noticed your issue. I'll say that the HDPLEX sounds more musical to me; the iPower seemed to have more "inky blackness" to it, but it almost seemed artificial at times. With the HD the music seems to flow better, more natural, without any 'hifi' artifacts (that said the iPower is very good for what it is). Hope you figure it out.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

New Findings

----------------

For couple of days, the Roon GUI has been prompting me that there are s/w updates available but I have been resisting in the fear that it might break something and spoil the fun of listening pleasure. More so, since I use Roon with HQP, I thought that the update would not be much useful sound wise as the back-end is completely handled in HQP. With Yggy I don't upsample in HQP since I found that the mega-burito filter in Yggy sounds better in my system but somehow just using the HQP make the sounds better than just Roon or MPD/DLNA mode. Today I decided to give it a spin (actually on Mike from MA's insistence) and test one more time the uRendu in Roon Ready mode with my Yggy. To my surprise, the SQ is just excellent now and sounds darn good. Folks who are using Roon/HQP combo, give it a try after updating Roon and see how it works for you. You might not need HQP at all with certain DACs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27632[/ATTACH].

But you're keeping HQP I assume.

rogerdn

New Findings

----------------

For couple of days, the Roon GUI has been prompting me that there are s/w updates available but I have been resisting in the fear that it might break something and spoil the fun of listening pleasure. More so, since I use Roon with HQP, I thought that the update would not be much useful sound wise as the back-end is completely handled in HQP. With Yggy I don't upsample in HQP since I found that the mega-burito filter in Yggy sounds better in my system but somehow just using the HQP make the sounds better than just Roon or MPD/DLNA mode. Today I decided to give it a spin (actually on Mike from MA's insistence) and test one more time the uRendu in Roon Ready mode with my Yggy. To my surprise, the SQ is just excellent now and sounds darn good. Folks who are using Roon/HQP combo, give it a try after updating Roon and see how it works for you. You might not need HQP at all with certain DACs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27632[/ATTACH].

Dev -- I just downloaded Roon last week, so presumably I have the latest v. I had a chance to play with HQP and Roon over the weekend, using various filters, upsampling, etc. I have the AMR DP777 DAC. It's possible that I haven't hit on the right combo of filters and upsampling, but I preferred Roon by itself. Upsampling with HQP did sound better on a pop recording like Crosby Stills & Nash's first album (of that name). But on recordings with a more natural acoustic, I thought HQP introduced a bit of an "aural mist" that seemed to blunt the timbre of instruments and weaken the PRAT.

I know AMR has gone to great lengths in developing its DAC's filters and perhaps they don't have synergy with what HQP does. I do know Roon, thru uRendu, is the best sounding player I've heard --- scads better than DLNA (minimserver/uRendu) or JRiver (in its DLNA zone mode, with uRendu). For the record, in my pre-uRendu setup, I thought minimserver/Jplaystreamer was better than JRiver as a standalone (non DLNA) player. -- David

But you're keeping HQP I assume.

I don't think I will use HQP with Yggy. The Roon Ready mode in uRendu w/ Yggy inbuilt filter sounds very very good at the moment. I have to try the PSA DS to see if HQP is still needed or not.

Dev -- I just downloaded Roon last week, so presumably I have the latest v. I had a chance to play with HQP and Roon over the weekend, using various filters, upsampling, etc. I have the AMR DP777 DAC. It's possible that I haven't hit on the right combo of filters and upsampling, but I preferred Roon by itself. Upsampling with HQP did sound better on a pop recording like Crosby Stills & Nash's first album (of that name). But on recordings with a more natural acoustic, I thought HQP introduced a bit of an "aural mist" that seemed to blunt the timbre of instruments and weaken the PRAT.

I know AMR has gone to great lengths in developing its DAC's filters and perhaps they don't have synergy with what HQP does. I do know Roon, thru uRendu, is the best sounding player I've heard --- scads better than DLNA (minimserver/uRendu) or JRiver (in its DLNA zone mode, with uRendu). For the record, in my pre-uRendu setup, I thought minimserver/Jplaystreamer was better than JRiver as a standalone (non DLNA) player. -- David

David, I would agree with you. I am starting to realize that the HQP up-sampling is very much dependent on the DAC and its filter implementation. Not all DACs in my opinion would benefit from HQP and Yggy is a great example.

Quite a coincidence to read this right after I A/B Roon-mR and minimserver-mR DLNA. Love the sound of Roon over DLNA. More natural relaxed sounding within a bigger soundstage. The advantage is more apparent for Tidal albums m while DLNA (I'm using Linn Kazoo) offers a tad more upfront Attack for my CD rips though verging on being bright. I also notice the overall soundstage is narrower on DLNA than on Roon. I'm considering using Roon for Tidal and going DLNA for CD rips. But it's a hassle and constant switching to and fro modes on the mR just fuels my paranoia that something might go wrong.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

Quite a coincidence to read this right after I A/B Roon-mR and minimserver-mR DLNA. Love the sound of Roon over DLNA. More natural relaxed sounding within a bigger soundstage. The advantage is more apparent for Tidal albums m while DLNA (I'm using Linn Kazoo) offers a tad more upfront Attack for my CD rips though verging on being bright. I also notice the overall soundstage is narrower on DLNA than on Roon. I'm considering using Roon for Tidal and going DLNA for CD rips. But it's a hassle and constant switching to and fro modes on the mR just fuels my paranoia that something might go wrong.

Most of my collection is CD rips, and I don't have Tidal. My comments were based on that, along with a few 24/96 downloads.

Hi,

uRendu newbie here. Just got new unit along with HD-Plex power supply configured for 7V operation. I am currently using an LMS 7.9.0 environment with a Touch player connected to an Audio Research DAC8 and a couple of iOS devices using iPeng app. I was able to identify IP address of unit and got menu. Using AppSwitcher, chose Squeezelite.

Problems:

1. Doesn't recognize DAC in diagnostics. I noticed John's earlier post about trying various power on sequences and none of those worked.

2. After enabling Squeezelite, it says it's "Running", but if I choose another menu option and return I find it "Stopped"

Not sure where to go from here!

Thanks to anyone who might be able to assist.

Hi,

uRendu newbie here. Just got new unit along with HD-Plex power supply configured for 7V operation. I am currently using an LMS 7.9.0 environment with a Touch player connected to an Audio Research DAC8 and a couple of iOS devices using iPeng app. I was able to identify IP address of unit and got menu. Using AppSwitcher, chose Squeezelite.

Problems:

1. Doesn't recognize DAC in diagnostics. I noticed John's earlier post about trying various power on sequences and none of those worked.

2. After enabling Squeezelite, it says it's "Running", but if I choose another menu option and return I find it "Stopped"

Not sure where to go from here!

Thanks to anyone who might be able to assist.

Can you try a different USB cable? Do you have another USB DAC you can try for testing purposes?

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

My DHCP server went bezerk today. It reminded me to check on the likelihood of a static IP setting in the microrendu.

None of my 'critical' devices flinched as they all have static IPs, but a couple of iPads locked up for a short while until I'd resolved it. The only other thing that screwed up was the microrendu, which - as a device used by the family - rendered the hifi inoperable, and (because I forgot was DHCP) took a while to trouble shoot. It didn't go down well and made me mess around in hifi wiring. :(

Please, please, if not technically impossible, could we have an option for fixed IP.

Thanks.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.