IGNORED

Tidal High Res (MQA) news...

+1

I have a hard time seeing harm in a broader group of services streaming higher bit rate music than they currently offer. If apple chooses to get into the game then it seems to me all boats will rise.

I guess the proximity of the "rise of MQA" and North Korea's claim to have detonated a hydrogen bomb is suspicious though.

In all seriousness, I am a big streaming fan and own an Aries and a vega (so maybe I am admittedly a homer) and look forward to seeing seeing if the buzz is real at CES tomorrow and Friday.

+2

I think MQA will find a "home" in streaming Internet music. Whether it ends up being "bigger" than that isn't a big deal to me. If it can improve CD quality and bring HiRes "to the masses" I'd say it's done its job.

All the conjecture IMO is just a waste of time & energy.

+2

I think MQA will find a "home" in streaming Internet music. Whether it ends up being "bigger" than that isn't a big deal to me. If it can improve CD quality and bring HiRes "to the masses" I'd say it's done its job.

+3

If all I get from MQA is TIDAL streaming better than CD quality to me, I will be delighted.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

+2

+1

i don't think I would ever want to buy files in MQA format (aka mp3++). But I would love it for streaming. Additionally if there's anything revolutionary in the beautification of the signal, I would like that available as an on-the-fly filter such as HQPlayer's.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

+1

I don't think I would ever want to buy files in MQA format (aka mp3++). But I would love it for streaming.

Miguelito: Although I'm generally curious about the potential benefits of MQA and can see how it may make a difference in streaming, you raise an issue that I haven't seen discussed, which is: If I were to buy MQA encoded files and the format doesn't catch on, do I end up with either useless files or files that at best equal 16/44?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Miguelito: Although I'm generally curious about the potential benefits of MQA and can see how it may make a difference in streaming, you raise an issue that I haven't seen discussed, which is: If I were to buy MQA encoded files and the format doesn't catch on, do I end up with either useless files or files that at best equal 16/44?

With any luck, someone will reverse engineer the format so you'll be able to decode them whatever future DACs do.

The answer is files that are slightly "better" (due to MQA magic in the source encoding around "time smearing") but pretty much commensurate to your standard 16/44 - although this answer is somewhat obscured by the various extraordinary marketing claims made by Meridian and their supporters in the press.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Without an encoder you have a FLAC file.

Without an encoder you have a FLAC file.

Yes, the MQA undecoded is a 24/44.1 flac file.

I downloaded Magne Amdahl: Astrognosia - Aquarius - Norwegian Radio Orchestra in both 24/44.1 MQA and 24/352.8kHz DXD from 2L's HiRes Download - test bench The original master is 24/352.8kHz DXD. The 24/44.1 MQA version sounded very good undecoded, I wonder what it will sound like decoded. I'm keeping both versions just in case I have something that plays MQA in the future.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

You will end up with files that were initially high res, were then filtered by an irreversible MQA filter, and packed into a lossy MQA compression. If MQA doesn't catch on this will also mean that decoding will likely not be supported by future players, which means at most you will get a 16/48 file equivalent.

I will avoid buying files encoded in MQA like the plague. I will be very happy when TIDAL streams in MQA - actually I think I will, we shall see.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

+3

If all I get from MQA is TIDAL streaming better than CD quality to me, I will be delighted.

TIDAL already sounds better than CD quality to me and the guys at Aurender agree, something to do with the quality of files TIDAL receive being superior, see post 247:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/240#post_12240206

TIDAL already sounds better than CD quality to me and the guys at Aurender agree, something to do with the quality of files TIDAL receive being superior, see post 247:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/240#post_12240206

I actually think I hear this to. I took it a step further and downloaded through TIDAL a 44/16 file of an album I had ripped and are VERY familiar with. Same thing. Both the ripped and the purchased file sounded the same with the streamed version better. So the question is does TIDAL actually have 2 files, one for streaming and one for download? I kinda doubt it, so maybe the differences we hear are more related to volume than anything else.

I actually think I hear this to. I took it a step further and downloaded through TIDAL a 44/16 file of an album I had ripped and are VERY familiar with. Same thing. Both the ripped and the purchased file sounded the same with the streamed version better. So the question is does TIDAL actually have 2 files, one for streaming and one for download? I kinda doubt it, so maybe the differences we hear are more related to volume than anything else.

TIDAL downloads v streamed sounds very similar to me, I'm sure they only provide one version. I can't get my CD rips to sound nearly as good, what are you using to rip and play your CD rips?

I find the quality of Tidal streaming variable; I wouldn't draw conclusions from one or two comparisons.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's easy to check by simply capturing the output when streaming and comparing to the purchased file.

It's easy to check by simply capturing the output when streaming and comparing to the purchased file.

If someone bothers with this I would be interested in their results. I find a slight improvement when I play the same track from JRiver that I own to the same track streamed from Tidal. I chalk it up to the fact that the Java sound libraries that browser/Tidal apps use are coloring things a bit. I am wondering out loud if those who like the Tidal stream better do not in fact like Java sound processing better. I am a bit dubious that the source files are different...

If someone bothers with this I would be interested in their results. I find a slight improvement when I play the same track from JRiver that I own to the same track streamed from Tidal. I chalk it up to the fact that the Java sound libraries that browser/Tidal apps use are coloring things a bit. I am wondering out loud if those who like the Tidal stream better do not in fact like Java sound processing better. I am a bit dubious that the source files are different...

Do they have a free trial without giving them a credit card number? I could capture a few tracks and get this matter settled.

Actually, it's pretty prosaic stuff, as Miska pointed out. Many filtering algorithms used to record CDs concentrate on eliminating aliasing, so they ring. The MQA algorithm includes an apodizing (Latin, "remove the foot") filter, which stops a good part of the ringing. So yep, the ringing is indisputably a recording chain error, and yep, an apodizing filter indisputably does fix it.

Yep, that is one point of view. But, consider that 2L records at 352.8 and uses no filter at all, as at that high rate they deem a filter entirely unnecessary. This method does not ring, or have any alias products anywhere they could be audible.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Do they have a free trial without giving them a credit card number? I could capture a few tracks and get this matter settled.

Probably not - getting the credit card up front even for a trial seems to be standard practice these days...

Yep, that is one point of view. But, consider that 2L records at 352.8 and uses no filter at all, as at that high rate they deem a filter entirely unnecessary. This method does not ring, or have any alias products anywhere they could be audible.

Yet the owner of 2L is very publicly on board with MQA. It appears he seems to think the MQA is doing something to improve even 352.8, so I am a bit confused there...

Internally their A/D converter does convert from sigma-delta modulated format to PCM, so one could consider that a filter, though I readily grant no audible ringing or aliasing should result from that.

But if the world of recordings were made up of 2L stuff, apodizing filters would surely be unnecessary. :) I was responding to discussion about what "magic" was being performed by MQA and pointing out that for RedBook files its application of an apodizing filter is one time-honored corrective option.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yet the owner of 2L is very publicly on board with MQA. It appears he seems to think the MQA is doing something to improve even 352.8, so I am a bit confused there...

Actually I doubt that, but he is likely thinking that MQA could be an improvement when the original 352.8 recording is downconverted (when a filter would have to be applied) for distribution at the lower rate. Most consider 352.8 through good converters to be indistinguishable from the mic feed, so it would be impossible for MQA to "improve" on that...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Internally their A/D converter does convert from sigma-delta modulated format to PCM, so one could consider that a filter, though I readily grant no audible ringing or aliasing should result from that.

But if the world of recordings were made up of 2L stuff, apodizing filters would surely be unnecessary. :) I was responding to discussion about what "magic" was being performed by MQA and pointing out that for RedBook files its application of an apodizing filter is one time-honored corrective option.

Agreed. My problem with MQA is that unless it is adopted as a standard for all recordings, and all playback hardware going forward, I do not see it being worth it. And, I am also a bit nervous that it is may be doing more than "correcting errors". I would rather see DXD become the recording standard, but as you point out, this is just as unlikely, although at least no one has to pay a licensing fee to use DXD...

It seems to me that in many ways, MQA is a solution to a problem which is already solved by higher sample rates, although indeed, it may be helpful for distribution at lower rates. Personally, I have a hard time (impossible) in hearing a difference between 16x and 8x rates with good gear... I would probably be happy if everything was laid down at 352.8, and then distributed at 176.4 along with well designed filters for the downconversion and playback devices...

SONORE computer audio

Agreed. My problem with MQA is that unless it is adopted as a standard for all recordings, and all playback hardware going forward, I do not see it being worth it. And, I am also a bit nervous that it is may be doing more than "correcting errors"....It seems to me that in many ways, MQA is a solution to a problem which is already solved by higher sample rates....

I think that is the "hoped for" future of MQA by it's creators and supports, MQA as the "standard" for all recordings that can be purchased (either on hard media, download, or streaming). I believe the SQ improvements are secondary to the "authentication" which is a nice word for DRM. If the same SQ can be achieved through present means (let alone something like MQA done in an open format) the only thing left is IP and "authentication" and the control/$money$ to be made from such things.

It does not appear to me that Meridian has the organizational chops to pull it off, but watch out when Apple or someone credible buys the patents...