IGNORED

Tidal High Res (MQA) news...

If anyone is curious how good Tidal can sound there is some very important things you have to consider IMO:

1. Make sure to cut the VBus power of your existing USB cable where ever possible using a SBooster VBUS Isolator (USD15-25 depending on country) or similar.

2. Invest in a UpTone Audio USB Regen (USD175) to ensure impedance match (IM) and signal integrity (SI).

3. Use a bitperfect player like JplayStreamer/BubbleDS Next, Roon, Amarra etc.

4. Make sure to tweak the Windows PC or use software like Fidelizer, Audio Optimizer, Process Lasso etc to help you achieve it.

Hope that helps someone! :-)

🎛️  Audio System  

If anyone is curious how good Tidal can sound there is some very important things you have to consider IMO:

1. Make sure to cut the VBus power of your existing USB cable where ever possible using a SBooster VBUS Isolator (USD15-25 depending on country) or similar.

2. Invest in a UpTone Audio USB Regen (USD175) to ensure impedance match (IM) and signal integrity (SI).

3. Use a bitperfect player like JplayStreamer/BubbleDS Next, Roon, Amarra etc.

4. Make sure to tweak the PC or use software like Fidelizer, Audio Optimizer, Process Lasso etc to help you achieve it.

Hope that helps someone! :-)

Or scrap USB entirely. You'd be amazed how good Tidal sounds using Chromecast Audio with a Wyred Remedy assigned Toslink clean up and upsampling duties.

Or scrap USB entirely. You'd be amazed how good Tidal sounds using Chromecast Audio with a Wyred Remedy assigned Toslink clean up and upsampling duties.

You will not be able to use the USB Regen with TOSLINK that ensures IM and SI of your DAC. That do make a big difference. Anyway, these are just my personal suggestions for better SQ. No doubt there are more than one road to reach audio nirvana! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

...or a Squeezebox Touch :D. (Controlled by iPeng app).

Tidal will support CA also.

So then the question, will CA support MQA or is the MQA support ment to be applied into Tidal app ?

Can you explain this for a non native English speaking person please ?

Is it about allowing your DAC to control the clock ?

Here is a link to UpTone Audio USB Regen: http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

It is in short a USB hub that is moved from the computer/iPad/Squeezebox etc to the USB input of the DAC ensuring that the signal is not changed/messed up and that the Impedance is as good as possible. Read the link above and check this CA thread to get detailed info: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/.

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is a link to UpTone Audio USB Regen: http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

It is in short a USB hub that is moved from the computer/iPad/Squeezebox etc to the USB input of the DAC ensuring that the signal is not changed/messed up and that the Impedance is as good as possible. Read the link above and check this CA thread to get detailed info: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/.

I'm talking about the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy which is designed for Toslink input, not sure why you brought in USB audio and the Regen in reply. The Remedy outputs either Toslink or Coax SPDIF not USB.

...or a Squeezebox Touch :D. (Controlled by iPeng app).

Tidal will support CA also.

So then the question, will CA support MQA or is the MQA support ment to be applied into Tidal app ?

Unclear to me. Chromecast Audio right now can only handle files up to 24/96 in resolution per Chris' recent tests. I thought Tidal MQA would be sending 24/96 but I think I saw higher resolution stream in the screen cap from a demo.

Looking at yesterday's Stereophile report, Tidal was streaming at 24/352.8 which Chromecast Audio could not handle unless Chris' tests reflect a problem in file playback which would not be there in a Tidal stream.

CES 2016 | Stereophile.com

Per the article,

"On January 4, at CES Unveiled, MQA announced the names of major companies that are now offering MQA-capable hardware and music content."

DOA if hardware upgrade is needed. At least for this guy. Maybe some expensive traditional DAC's will be hitting the after market at a steep discount? Doubt it.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Thanks. Interesting to descover and learn about now possibillities.

Edit. Aha: John Swenson :D

He knows a lot about DAC's as well. Would been interesting to hear his thoughts about how easy present DAC's can implement MQA.

I think John Swenson is (or atleast was) a Squeezebox enthusiast as well! ;-) Would for sure be interesting to hear his thought about MQA! :-)

🎛️  Audio System  

I am very surpriced that you prefer the Tidal app sound. Which Jplay settings did you use? Check out KS/UltraStream/1hz/10 seconds. I am using Fidelizer (Pro) as well. It makes a big difference.

My laptop is brand new with zero optimization on it, but same environment for jplay/bubble as the standard Tidal app. I am sure with your suggested optimization the laptop will sound better but I suggest you try an Android device and UAPP player as it is a lot cheaper and easier to achieve great SQ.

My laptop is brand new with zero optimization on it, but same environment for jplay/bubble as the standard Tidal app. I am sure with your suggested optimization the laptop will sound better but I suggest you try an Android device and UAPP player as it is a lot cheaper and easier to achieve great SQ.

I think you have got JplayStreamer wrong. You install BubbleDS Next on your Android device and control Tidal through BubbleDS with Upnp/DNLA. JplayStreamer is a OpenHome standard that is a part of Jplay. When using Tidal (or Qobus) there is no need to install Minimserver or similar. It is just needed if you want to play local music files (offline or online) as well. So, Jplay is both a OpenHome standard AND a high end audio player/enhanser for any player in one! :-)

Using JplayStreamer with Tidal is very simple...but you have got advanced settings IF you want. You never need to start Jplay on the computer. Just make sure that the computer is running and connect to Tidal through BubbleDS Next on your Android device.

🎛️  Audio System  

I think you have got JplayStreamer wrong. You install BubbleDS Next on your Android device and control Tidal through BubbleDS with Upnp/DNLA. JplayStreamer is a OpenHome standard that is a part of Jplay. When using Tidal (or Qobus) there is no need to install Minimserver or similar. It is just needed if you want to play local music files (offline or online) as well. So, Jplay is both a OpenHome standard AND a high end audio player/enhanser for any player in one! :-)

Using JplayStreamer with Tidal is very simple...but you have got advanced settings IF you want. You never need to start Jplay on the computer. Just make sure that the computer is running and connect to Tidal through BubbleDS Next on your Android device.

You lost me there.. anyhow I followed jplay's instructions to the letter and it works: Tidal>Android with Bubble>laptop with Minimserver and jplay