IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

My brooklyn unit has been very good so far except I have to use SPDIF to play music, plugging the usb into my pc port produce static humming noise so I can't use usb

Any ideas why?

Noisy USB port on computer. Try different ports. In general, don't use the computer case case ports, try to attach directly to motherboard ports (on back of computer). Also, a lot of motherboards have USB ports via the chipset and a separate controller (usually Asmedia) for additional ports and/or more recent specs (the best example being USB 3.1, which no Intel chipset provides, even the newest 200 series). I've found using the Asmedia ports for audio-out, and the native chipset ports for everything else (mouse, keyboard, etc) gives the cleanest set up.

If you have a fairly recent desktop, and it has a USB 3.1 port, try using that to connect to Brooklyn, and plug everything else into the chipset USB ports (usually at end/top of motherboard backpanel).

Noisy USB port on computer. Try different ports. In general, don't use the computer case case ports, try to attach directly to motherboard ports (on back of computer). Also, a lot of motherboards have USB ports via the chipset and a separate controller (usually Asmedia) for additional ports and/or more recent specs (the best example being USB 3.1, which no Intel chipset provides, even the newest 200 series). I've found using the Asmedia ports for audio-out, and the native chipset ports for everything else (mouse, keyboard, etc) gives the cleanest set up.

If you have a fairly recent desktop, and it has a USB 3.1 port, try using that to connect to Brooklyn, and plug everything else into the chipset USB ports (usually at end/top of motherboard backpanel).

Ok I tried changing port on the back and all the ports produce the same noise except the port on my monitor and my monitor usb out is connected into my motherboard usb port, is there any degrade in audio quality whatsoever because it doesnt produce hissing or humming anymore

Ok I tried changing port on the back and all the ports produce the same noise except the port on my monitor and my monitor usb out is connected into my motherboard usb port, is there any degrade in audio quality whatsoever because it doesnt produce hissing or humming anymore

No, there is no degrading in sound from the monitor USB out port! You should be ok! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

As above, shouldn't be a problem, and it does sounds like a ground loop. If you have the monitor and Brooklyn plugged into one outlet, and the computer into another, that's likely what the noise was (could confirm by putting Brooklyn and Computer on same outlet, see if noise disappears). It's also possible the monitor's USB ports are shielded, though I haven't heard any monitors tout that.

The power supply solution they use is very good. You can see the measurements at Stereophile, but also from my own listening. The 12v input lets you try different options, I heard no appreciable difference using a LPS or even a car battery (just had to try since they mentioned it...).

Hi Smartin, that goes against what many others have said with the linear PSU route and I guess even the Mytek designer suggested the potential for a DC battery. But, I too have been wondering and now that I have been really looking seriously at class D amps, I have read quite a bit in the SMPS designs they use rather than linear.

Yes SMPS is harder to design to keep RFI out of the rails for supply and even as importantly out of the mains feed.. but interesting you heard no benefit

I realized my Mytek spdif 1 can't revived signal input , however there is no problem with spdif 2, any one can help ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Is anybody using Audirvana 3 on a Mac?

Audirvana 3 Settings won't recognise the Brooklyn as a MQA or DSD capable DAC?

Is that the current version of A+? DSD 128 (not 256 for some reason) worked when I tried quite a while back, but I think I had to change detection method from the default one.

Why should A+ have to recognise the DAC as MQA capable? Either A+ sends the signal unaltered and the MQA symbol on the Brooklyn lights up or MQA decoding on the DAC side won't work at all.

Hi Veovis,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the Brooklyn isn't automatically detected as a DSD DAC in Audrvana settings. You have to manually select "DSD over PCM Standard 1.1" to get it to work, but it doesn't detect it automatically like the Audirvana and Brooklyn software manuals say it should.

The new Audirvana Version3 is just released and has full MQA processing capabilities, it is supposed to automatically detect if your DAC is capable of processing MQA or not.

It does not automatically detect the Brooklyn as a MQA decoding DAC. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this yet?

• 5 weeks later...

It took a while before I understood that "USB Audio player Pro" is an app. Unfortunately (?), it is not compatible with my old version 4 of Android.

But regarding MQA, there are so many other aspects that influence the musical performance, that I don't care very much (if at all) that my old Olive 4 isn't very good in handling MQA-files.

Marc

Ah sorry Mumssoft. I haven't dabbled much with computer streaming but what I get from UAAP on this phone sounds better than the 2 laptops and a pc I have tried. Plus my kit is by my bed so it's really handy. Bit perfect mode sounds really good. 

Sorry for the confusion ?

Hi all, 

Sold some old kit and diverted some of the cash to the Uptone.LPS 1.

I drove an Intona with separate 5v battery with the handy IFI Idefender as a port.

Bought a DC to USB mini cable to port in the LPS1.

IF you have pre chain decrapifier it may give you a nice boost. Intona RUR ect

The Intona is famed for the Reclocking via spartan FPGA firm ware chips. and galvanic isolation. A lab piece of kit drifted into audiophile usage. 

It's driven off the 5V usb bus. 

The flip flop power banks in the LPS1 driving the Intona have woken up my flack.  Wider sound, longer sharper treble And meatier bass. New unheard sounds. Getting the power feeding the Brooklyn was a nice addition. The boosts to USB before seemed marginally better. My extra battery more benefit to extending my phone life.

This LPS 1 is a real eye opener  making the Intona work better and make the ESS chip in the Brooklyn's Dac section sound really good.

Just my impression with my weird set up.

A very cheap Intona second hand might benefit some here but I am waiting for the Utone ISO to hit the streets.

My Flac favourites list has been jumbled around as some I thought 'lesser tracks' now shine through now. Thier details missed before.

More a Saturday ramble than a review.

But anything that makes the Brookie shine.

As a pure headphone user I have found setting output to both not HP sound 5db louder but hard to tell if SQ changes?

I hope you are all well

Dave ?