IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Hi,

I had to check the "Use Exclusive Mode" box in the Tidal settings to get MQA to work. File, Settings, Streaming, HiFi/Master checked, Sound output Brooklyn DAC, "Use Exclusive Mode"/Force Volume. Hope that helps.

To me if you don't set this up, the Mytek Brooklynn will not recognize its a MQA coded track and the light stays off.

My ripped CDs on my SSD still sound better!

I don't think you are missing much without MQA, it's nice to have but for sure not a must

At least I know that I'm at least not the only person who thinks so (that SSD / HD locally stored rips (16/44 FLAC, 24/96 - 24/192, and DSD) all sound head and shoulders better to me than anything I've streamed in MQA via Tidal so far! Personally a few of them sounded actually awful to me (The regular Tidal streams of same albums even sounded better to me) and the same exact albums I have stored locally in my music server (Aurender N100H) even in just regular 16/44 FLAC sound leaps and bounds better to me??

I was wondering if it had something to do with playing via Aurender vs Tidal Desktop App, but perhaps not (MQA streams I've listened to so far all showed either 24/96 or 24/192 as the bit rate, so it was receiving the MQA).

I'll try a few more recordings to see if they're any better (I have a few 24/192 downloads from HDTracks and a few DSD downloads that all sound absolutely awful too, and a few 16/44 FLAC CD rips that sound spectacular!)

Thus, I've learned that the actual bit rate and file type of an album are far from being all that dictates how good or bad a particular album sounds.

I've definitely learned the original recording quality of the material and the dynamic range compression are much more important in regards to overall sound quality vs. if it's DSD or MQA, or HiRez.

Thus far, I'm seriously unimpressed with any of the MQA and I just keep scratching my head after reading hundreds of fellow users praise MQA from Tidal in amazement of the sound quality??

I did read that Bluesound and other platforms are only actually partially decoding MQA and not fully "unfolding it", so perhaps that is what the Aurender is doing also??

At least I know that I'm at least not the only person who thinks so (that SSD / HD locally stored rips (16/44 FLAC, 24/96 - 24/192, and DSD) all sound head and shoulders better to me than anything I've streamed in MQA via Tidal so far! Personally a few of them sounded actually awful to me (The regular Tidal streams of same albums even sounded better to me) and the same exact albums I have stored locally in my music server (Aurender N100H) even in just regular 16/44 FLAC sound leaps and bounds better to me??

I was wondering if it had something to do with playing via Aurender vs Tidal Desktop App, but perhaps not (MQA streams I've listened to so far all showed either 24/96 or 24/192 as the bit rate, so it was receiving the MQA).

I'll try a few more recordings to see if they're any better (I have a few 24/192 downloads from HDTracks and a few DSD downloads that all sound absolutely awful too, and a few 16/44 FLAC CD rips that sound spectacular!)

Thus, I've learned that the actual bit rate and file type of an album are far from being all that dictates how good or bad a particular album sounds.

I've definitely learned the original recording quality of the material and the dynamic range compression are much more important in regards to overall sound quality vs. if it's DSD or MQA, or HiRez.

Thus far, I'm seriously unimpressed with any of the MQA and I just keep scratching my head after reading hundreds of fellow users praise MQA from Tidal in amazement of the sound quality??

I did read that Bluesound and other platforms are only actually partially decoding MQA and not fully "unfolding it", so perhaps that is what the Aurender is doing also??

Is the MQA light on?

UPDATE:

Im always the first to admit when I'm wrong (and in this case perhaps also "jumped the gun" a bit too quickly), so after another long Tidal MQA listening session this Morning (while simultaneously ingesting far too much coffee:) ), these are my updated conclusions:

First, as opposed to the Rock and Pop selections I listened to yesterday that I felt sounded pretty awful, I started out this morning listening to all of the Jazz and Classical Tidal MQA albums, and I must admit, they sounded pretty damn good to me! (Especially the Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Coleman albums in addition to the 2L recordings and the Bartok String Quartets).

So, I must make the conclusion, that the culprit in regards to the awful sounding Tidal MQA albums I sampled yesterday, must have been my new nemesis, formally known as Dynamic Range Compression!! I suppose the masters MQA selected for those albums yesterday must have been newer versions with heavy Dynamic Range Compression and as I had suspected prior to starting my listening session today, Jazz and Classical titles would have been much less likely to have been "poisoned" by the loudness war!

Additionally, I sampled a few more rock albums and found some that did sound very good and better than my own 16/44 FLAC rips. Specifically: All of the Smiths albums (although my rips are all from original 1980's released CD's, I have been told the new remasters from the smiths complete box set did sound better, these must be from those masters?)

Also the Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago II and Fleetwood Mac Rumors all sounded a little better than my 16/44 FLAC rips, but all three sounded worse than my DSD / SACD rips.

Thus, I will stand corrected and apologize for my hasty remarks made yesterday and conclude that just the same as my experience with downloads from HDTracks, just because something is 24/192, or DSD or MQA does not alone equal that the album will sound good, some will sound fantastic, and others will have heavy dynamic range Compression and sound awful!

Anybody else had to use those jumpers to lower the output of the Brooklyn? I decided to do it this weekend, after I listened to a rip of a very loudly mastered CD and it sounded clearly distorted. Made the preamp overload. No problems up until then. The jumpers did the trick and I don't think the overall SQ suffers from it.

I'm aware of where Mytek comes from but I must say it's a strange design choice to keep professional audio specs in a consumer DAC...

Mytek is (or recently was) mainly a pro audio company, and has many pro clients.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Making a 'favourite' of a 'Masters' also works....

I was able to test out the "creating a playlist" with the Tidal desktop app and using the Auralic Lightning DS app to play the tracks from my iPad and it works perfectly. I listened to a variety of genres and was very impressed with the MQA sound quality through Auralic Aries Extreme running wireless and connected to the Brooklyn via USB. Both Aries and Brooklyn using Sbooster LPS. However, as one would expect, a great recording, is a great recording so it does vary as it does with any other form of media.

I had to go this route as well as I was getting too much distortion without using the jumpers. I have not seen any impact on SQ with the jumpers in place. I think Mytek has done a fantastic job in designing a terrific piece of equipment that will work in a variety of setups.

My MQA playback stream is Roon->µRendu->Mytek Brooklyn->Fost. (I favorite MQA albums in the TIDAL app then sync to Roon—works fine).

Many of the older recordings are stunning. Listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue at 192/24—it's like audio time travel.

I'll be listening into the wee hours tonight!

Thanks, Mytek, for your wonderful Brooklyn. I'll be in line for a Clef!

The Brooklyn firmware v2.22 is now available! I haven't had a chance to download it yet.

I just updated firmware and now the volume on my Brooklyn is screwed up. I barely get any output. Anyone else experience similar issues after updating to v2.22?