IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I just updated firmware and now the volume on my Brooklyn is screwed up. I barely get any output. Anyone else experience similar issues after updating to v2.22?

I'm at work now (actually not far from you in DuPont WA), so I won't be able to check it out until after work today. I would suggest you put in an incident ticket with Mytek support so they are aware of it.

I'm at work now (actually not far from you in DuPont WA), so I won't be able to check it out until after work today. I would suggest you put in an incident ticket with Mytek support so they are aware of it.

Maybe try taking out the jumpers as a troubleshooting step?

Also the quality of the analog input (Line) is really poor. I've tested with my mobile Denon DA-10 DAC, first via analog input through the Brooklyn DAC, than directly connect to may active monitors. The sound quality difference was huge, via the Brooklyn flat.

I can also concur in that the analog input (line level) isn't that great, at least can confirm my oppo ha-1 analog input (line level) with same source, Chord Mojo at line out (default 3V) sounds lot cleaner and more is there. Unfortunate.

But then again, i didn't get Brooklyn DAC to do much with analog line level inputs.

Still would have been convenient to use the DAC/HP amp with Mojo line outs.

To whom It may concern.

(...) Even though I believe you have already answered to that question is USB OTG supported? (Thanks for the MQA by the way, a very promising feature!!)

It will be supported.

-There also is no mention of Usb OTG compatibility but I already know that that function is featured so no worries

Just a double check. Any issues with OTG Android for the poor people with no PC transport...

Thanks

I can confirm that my last night OTG experiment with Android phones as well as Onkyo DP-X1, does "not" work with Brooklyn DAC (yet). Would be nice to get this feature though, at some point.

The same Android phones and particularly with Onkyo DP-X1 OTG with Mojo, headphone out to Focal Elear, sounds amazing.

But then again, Brooklyn DAC with same music source materials through following chain, sounds spectacular to my ears,

AC power -->> Pangea AG-14 XL -->> Brooklyn -->> balanced silver dragon V3 -->> Focal Elear

Roon -->> HQPlayer / cuda offload -->> NAA -->> uRendu / UltraCap LPS-1 -->> Pangea USB-AG -->> Brooklyn

So many experiments to do here I can't keep up... I still have my OPPO HA1 But I haven't tried it with my new power set up or My upgraded Ether to flow.

When I got a Fiio X3II, I tried the RCA in and I thought it sounded dull and flat so I concentrated on OTG on the OPPO.

I used the FIIO X3 to burn in the new Ether Flows on the Mytek Brooklyn. Mostly MP3 rips on the Fiio but now it sounds really good on a lot of songs. I will have to compare the oppo flow and Brooklyn to see if it concurs with your thoughts.

I looked at your DAP.. My S4 and S5 samsung ran Onkyo player Neutron and my current favourite USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO. OTG to both the OPPO and Brooklyn. Change the USB Cable to a cheap printer AB cable and download the free versions of UAPP or Neutron to see if that helps you experiment.

I have been a little weary of computer based audio as I have had good success with android. But the LPS1 rendU seems to be a winning combination. Grats mate.

A balanced isolation transformer and DC OFFSET FILTER made a very nice boost to my rig. The intona and Ipurifier also but yours is the winning combo. I got the Sbooster 13v Linear in the chain and DC PURIFIER but they had a tiny amount of improvement to my ears.

The Flows are about settled so I will plug in the OPPO and dap and compare to see what I can hear..

OTG locking can be a pain but you have to check a setting in android on the Samsung's I am sure. So a custom android version on Onkyo may be the same...

Developer settings usb debugging I think...

Now I have with experiments a 5v battery USB bypass the I DEFENDER and I silencer. As a test and boredom spending over Xmas. But an easy way to add a different 5v.

I will try PC audio one day but the rendu LPS1 looks a wicked combo.

The defender silencer 'may' help your pc side not sure about the intona. But with this hobby only spare cash and an itchy buy it now button on amazon can really see if it works for you.

Good luck and let us know what happens with OTG. An email to Onkyo support may help.

Good luck mate

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hi Dave, sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town on a business meeting and just had a chance to try what Mytek suggested. Slawomir, from Mytek told me to make sure that I reset the DAC to factory settings after upgrading and to try changing my volume control from Digital to Analog. Neither recommendation worked.

Oh I thought it worked ok from the last post. with resetting or have I misread things???. I am not sure how this volume pot works. The old ones worked if they played up rotating them back and forward about 10 times with the power off. Like the OPPO HA1. I do spin the volume pot on the mytek once a month out of habit.

If you have had the lid off there is a fine ribbon cable and clamp connector.. just check that's ok. not kinked or not square in the clamp. All wires are pushed down. The 2 wires under the ribbon cable are from the front 6.3MM TRS CONNECTORS...

Me I am a bit of a clean freak now with internal audio connectors. I had good results on the OPPO.

1. lint free swabs and 100% Alcohol and clean the pins connectors.

2. A tiny amount of Deoxit gold on a new swab wipe it over.

No boost on the Brooklyn but it stops any chance as the years go by with a clean connection.

But definitely on the hot pin on the rca cable and external RCA plug of the Brooklyn.

Just a tiny amount after cleaning with alcohol.

Deoxit magic..

I am rambling having a weekend break with the wife waiting for her to get ready.

I hope you are all well here...

kind regards

Dave

1485025362067.jpg

It is working fine, but I had to remove the jumpers and just about max out the volume to get any sound out of it. Everything worked find until I did the update to 2.22. I can live with it as-is, but I am concerned as to why the volume has been so attenuated. Thank you for the suggestions on cleaning the pins, contacts, etc.

It is working fine, but I had to remove the jumpers and just about max out the volume to get any sound out of it. Everything worked find until I did the update to 2.22. I can live with it as-is, but I am concerned as to why the volume has been so attenuated. Thank you for the suggestions on cleaning the pins, contacts, etc.

I wasn't going to update to 2.22 but now based on your results I will give it a go... I'm on 2.21 and things work just fine, but the output of the Brooklyn is very hot, even with the jumpers in place. It's a bit better with jumpers, but I can't shake the feeling that the output (balanced XLR out) is just on the limit of what the preamp (spec says 4V max input) can take. Really loudly mastered music still sounds a bit distorted (and not in the digital clipping kind of way, but "analogue" distortion). The output is VERY much higher than any other DAC I've tried, especially through the XLR output.

I can probably solve this by using the digital volume control to lower the output a bit, but I hate to use anything but the "bypass" setting when not using the DAC as a preamp. On the other hand I guess that if Mytek has deliberately lowered the output through a firmware update it of course has had to be made in the digital domain.

Again, Mytek's choice to have a consumer DAC output like a professional DAC is a strange one and in my opinion a bad one. Will probably get rid of mine because of it (or try using it as a preamp and get rid of the integrated amp instead).

I can also concur in that the analog input (line level) isn't that great, at least can confirm my oppo ha-1 analog input (line level) with same source, Chord Mojo at line out (default 3V) sounds lot cleaner and more is there. Unfortunate.

But then again, i didn't get Brooklyn DAC to do much with analog line level inputs.

Still would have been convenient to use the DAC/HP amp with Mojo line outs.

I can confirm that my last night OTG experiment with Android phones as well as Onkyo DP-X1, does "not" work with Brooklyn DAC (yet). Would be nice to get this feature though, at some point.

The same Android phones and particularly with Onkyo DP-X1 OTG with Mojo, headphone out to Focal Elear, sounds amazing.

But then again, Brooklyn DAC with same music source materials through following chain, sounds spectacular to my ears,

AC power -->> Pangea AG-14 XL -->> Brooklyn -->> balanced silver dragon V3 -->> Focal Elear

Roon -->> HQPlayer / cuda offload -->> NAA -->> uRendu / UltraCap LPS-1 -->> Pangea USB-AG -->> Brooklyn

Hi Gixxer, I forgot to mention this thread on headfi, it might get you some answers on the Onkyo to try some work arounds

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/8660_10#post_13197859

I hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This has its own thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/linear-power-supply-brooklyn-which-one-youve-ever-tried-28730/

At the moment I can't really find enough fault with the Brooklyn with internal PSU to warrant buying an expensive linear PSU but knowing myself I'll probably do it sometime in the future anyway. Maybe if/when the next generation of Sbooster comes out. Even though it seems to work now I would prefer the external PSU to output at least the 3.5 A that the internal PSU does. The rest of the options, apart from those Chinese ones you can find on eBay, is around half the asking price of the Brooklyn itself.

hi

did you test Mytek with external power supply? is it any recomended unit?

I don't think Mytek themselves have made specific brand recommendations, only minimum specifications for an external power supply. That said, when I was considering external power supplies, I looked at: Teddy Pardo, Uptone Audio JS-2, HDPLEX, SBooster. A friend of mine owns a Brooklyn and an HDPLEX external power supply. He allowed me to audition his HDPLEX with my Brooklyn. I loved the combination so I placed an order for the HDPLEX and I have been enjoying it in my system ever since.

Just got the Mytek Brooklyn DAC yesterday. Currently it is connected to the Melco N1A via USB. I am using the iPad Arcam app for control. Sometimes I am getting distorted sound when moving between different PCM file resolutions quickly. Although yesterday while listen to an MQA album from 2L the DAC completely locked up when I moved to PCM resolution playback. Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.