IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I was inquisitive so I went with my Brooklyn to the local shop and tried at least two hours Audeze LCDX, LCD3 and HiFiMAN HE560 to see how headphhones play out of the Brooklyn hp output. Mm I have to say I really like the sound of the Audeze. I owned a few years back LCD2 and had borrow on 1month LCDX at home last year.

Strangely I found LCD3 more flatter neutral dry than LCDX (do not know what versions it was, I guess LCD3 no fazor and LCDX version 2015) and for this reason LCD3 had better feel losing from head when played.

LCDX had some little colour which I do not know how to explain it but still their clean sound absorb you. LCDX is more extended(reverberation), more dynamic too than LCD3, also LCDX is a little more forward but if you listen music on lower volume(as me) maybe it can be small advantage.

So LCD3 was against LCDX hollower and noticeable flat which I was surprised, reason could be Brooklyn and LCDX could have better synergy because it is easier drive.

HE560 was very nice sounding, it sounded just normal and evidently narower, probably more truth sound, less atmosphere and weight against Audeze. I prefer more biger sound of Audeze and their natural focus on faithful feel. At the end different between LCDX and LCD3 was not big, both share base Audeze house sound. But because I felt LCDX is more dynamic from Brooklyn (probably better synergy) I would grab them.

So I do not see big problem to drive quality planar headphone via hp output of the Brooklyn. But there is probably still place to get better sound with real one quality separate hp amp. But for normal people I do not see problem use Brooklyn as only one system, for example LCDX is very very good together which I expected.

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

I wonder if they sound better with the dual 6.3mm adapters with more grunt behind it..... Especially the HE560

My Ethers drive really easy but they sound great.....

The power kit has really helped the sound But I am still waiting for my Ether flow upgrade to judge the improvements......

Really nice you got to try the Brooklyn and all that nice kit....Hopefully a mini uk headfi meet I can finally try them..

But thanks for the impressions and happy xmas Brooklyn Thread..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I hope this hasn't been answered already, but.......any idea on what is the best sounding input on the Brooklyn ?

I'm currently using USB and was naturally wondering if coaxial or aes/ebu would be a better choice (it is for most dac's).

Windows 2012 Server R2 with Jplay > Audioquest Coffee > Accuphase DAC-40 > Accuphase E-360 > Custom Cables, Chord Signature Jumpers > Triangle Signature Delta

I hope this hasn't been answered already, but.......any idea on what is the best sounding input on the Brooklyn ?

I'm currently using USB and was naturally wondering if coaxial or aes/ebu would be a better choice (it is for most dac's).

The USB input sounds best!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

The USB input sounds best!

I prefer the AES/EBU input fed by my network streamer compared with the USB input fed by my Mac Mini and A+. By quite a margin actually, although the USB input of the Brooklyn is not bad compared to other DACs I've owned. Guess it depends on your system as a whole.

Indeed, since the users are not connecting the same device via USB or coaxial / AES/EBU, it's hard to know if the difference in quality is due to the source device (streamer vs computer) or the input.

One potential advantage of the USB input is that the INT mode is only available for that one. Meaning - according to the manual - that the Brooklyn and its internal clock works as the "master" in the digital chain. The only way to make the Brooklyn master in this way through AES & s/pdif seems to be through the 44.1 - 192 khz options (under the sync menu) meaning the user must change the sample rate manually to sync with the signal. Can't shake the feeling it sounds a little better this way, with a more relaxed sound in the higher frequencies. Only problem is some quite audible artefacts when using AES (but not coaxial s/pdif), but that may be my streamer behaving odd when being treated as a slave.:)

Can anyone more knowledgable than myself shed some light on this design choice from Mytek's side? Why not the same functionality for s/pdif as for USB under the sync menu?

... Can anyone more knowledgable than myself shed some light on this design choice from Mytek's side? Why not the same functionality for s/pdif as for USB under the sync menu?

Because the DAC has to sync itself to the incomming signal/stream when used with s/pdif or AES inputs.

The only way around it would need a word-clock connection to the source (but most sources don't have a word-clock input).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Because the DAC has to sync itself to the incomming signal/stream when used with s/pdif or AES inputs.

The only way around it would need a word-clock connection to the source (but most sources don't have a word-clock input).

Many thanks for your reply, but that much I was pretty much aware of already. Still a bit puzzled by the option to sync AES/Spdif signals with the Brooklyn "manually" and the manual says the Brooklyn when using that option becomes the "master" in the digital chain. Do they mean that the DAC reclocks the signal when using this sync method or what? And if so, why can it not adjust the sample rate to which it must be synced automatically? For that to happen you must select "IN", meaning the DAC operates normally and is the slave in the chain.

But to work as a "master" in a digital chain, it (the Brooklyn in that case) has to send out a word-clock signal to clock all other devices.

If not, the incomming signal will run out of sync - sooner or later.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

But to work as a "master" in a digital chain, it (the Brooklyn in that case) has to send out a word-clock signal to clock all other devices.

If not, the incomming signal will run out of sync - sooner or later.

The Brooklyn has a separate setting for using its internal clock to clock other devices (WCK). This is something else. Here's what the manual says about sync methods for AES and Spdif (after listing "WCK" (Brooklyn "master") and "IN" Brooklyn "slave":

44,1 – 192 kHz:

(Internal) /available for AES, SPDIF1 &2, Toslink / the DAC operates as master device, WordClock OUT transmits master clock signal.

And by this choice it's possible to lock the the Brooklyn to the signal from the streamer manually (by choosing 44.1 for CD-rips, 96 for 24/96 files etc.). And although I only tested it on a couple of tracks I think it did sound somewhat different compared to the "IN" option. And the feeling was that the highs were a bit more focused and natural.

Maybe USB is really the way to go with this DAC? Trouble is I've yet to find a good USB source. The closest so far to the streamer I'm using has been USB out from a Squeezebox Touch with the EDO mod and a linear PSU. Will investigate the microRendu.

Anyway; thanks for your input!

Just to bring some perspective to my own previous posts regarding the issue of which input is best, that is a moot point for me now. The Brooklyn Dac is the the best I've heard so far. Enjoying music using AES in (no external PSU and single ended to the amp). It took 150 h or so for it to reach there but now it just sounds right and better than any DAC connected to this system before. Highly recommended!

Just something I noticed over time. A vvvery tiny issue, or better: wish.

When I put the Brooklyn on, it won't tell me where it is looking for input. When you switch from one input to another, the display tells briefly which input is at stake (SPDIF2, Toslink, Phono MM or so).

It would be nice if it also shows this information when switched on.

Marc

The Brooklyn does not accept 4xDSD from both Jriver and Audivana. The 2xDSD works fine. Computers are MacMini and MacBook Pro. Does anyone succeeded in getting it to work, and would like to share your experience?

I send 4xDSD from my PC to the Brooklyn without any issue. I think this maybe a limitation from Mac not the Brooklyn, sorry I don't have experience with Mac.

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The Brooklyn does not accept 4xDSD from both Jriver and Audivana. The 2xDSD works fine. Computers are MacMini and MacBook Pro. Does anyone succeeded in getting it to work, and would like to share your experience?

Same here when I tested briefly when recieving the Brooklyn. A+ and a Mac Mini. The DSD512 was greyed out no matter which detection method I tried.

That is because the Brooklyn doesn't do DSD512. See specs...

Just did and just returned to edit my post.:) Pretty sure DSD256 worked for me. Have you tried the different detection methods? I had to change from the default, but can't remember if it was to get DSD at all or to get DSD256... Don't normally listen to Music via USB and A+. Will test and get back.

Hi , I am new here. I just got my brooklyn (Dec 2016 with latest firmware 2.22 default) and I have 2 problems

1, It should be supported up to DSD256 by USB Connection based on user manual. However, what I can do is only support up to DSD128 (Macbook Pro OS X EL Capitan + Audirvana Plus 2.62 or Jriver 22)---> Coz of Mac OSX?

2. Optical Input works fine from 16/44.1 to 24/176.4kHz, but not able to lock when 24/192kHz. Its shows 24/176.4kHz when I connect to 24/192k (AK240 Optical out) and I can hear intermittent sound which is very weird

Anyone has any idea or similar experience ? Appreciated ^_^

Hi , I am new here. I just got my brooklyn (Dec 2016 with latest firmware 2.22 default) and I have 2 problems

1, It should be supported up to DSD256 by USB Connection based on user manual. However, what I can do is only support up to DSD128 (Macbook Pro OS X EL Capitan + Audirvana Plus 2.62 or Jriver 22)---> Coz of Mac OSX?

2. Optical Input works fine from 16/44.1 to 24/176.4kHz, but not able to lock when 24/192kHz. Its shows 24/176.4kHz when I connect to 24/192k (AK240 Optical out) and I can hear intermittent sound which is very weird

Anyone has any idea or similar experience ? Appreciated ^_^

Can you try your Brooklyn with a PC and see if DSD256 works? I play DSD256 with a PC without any issues. I have version 22 though

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thanks so much, unfortunately I have a very old thinkpad W500 and almost not used. So I am thinking to try it or not.

And for the optical in issue, I tested with my ifi ddc optical out to mytek brooklyn optical input and it works with 24/192kHz, so I guess maybe AK devices optical is not compatible with Mytek. So sad , I hope mytek will provide better firmware update to fix or improve it

:)