IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Hello

As has been mentiond Tidal is now streaming a selection of MQA albums via the desktop app. I have enabled MQA on the Brooklyn but the MQA light/sign remains off. Is anyone else in the same position? Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? So frustrating!

Morph

Hi,

I had to check the "Use Exclusive Mode" box in the Tidal settings to get MQA to work. File, Settings, Streaming, HiFi/Master checked, Sound output Brooklyn DAC, "Use Exclusive Mode"/Force Volume. Hope that helps.

Hi SlushPuppy

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately my Tidal settings aren't even recognising the Brooklyn at present. Think I'll stop just now because the rage is rising so best to leave it until tomorrow. Thanks again and I'm sure you're along the right lines with your tip.

Morph

Ok got it now. The app decodes it. Sounds very nice indeed. Very impressed. And thanks for the tip SlushPuppy.

Morph

Awesome! Glad you got it working! There is an MQA title by Howe Gelb in the Tidal master list that sounds phenomenal. Even if you don't like the music you'll certainly appreciate how good it sounds. Happy listening!

Man this sucks. I sure wish I had an MQA DAC right now. I have been waiting for this day for over a year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My ripped CDs on my SSD still sound better!

I don't think you are missing much without MQA, it's nice to have but for sure not a must

My ripped CDs on my SSD still sound better!

I don't think you are missing much without MQA, it's nice to have but for sure not a must

Really?

"Nice to have but for sure not a must"? So you directly compared your CD rips on a SSD drive to the MQA master streams on Tidal and you preferred your CD rips? Seriously? Which Tidal MQA albums did you compare them to? Was the blue MQA light illuminated on your Brooklyn DAC? I compared four of my CD rips to the MQA streams on Tidal today and and every Tidal MQA stream sounded significantly better than the ripped CD on my Intel NUC with a Samsung SSD hard drive. My system is is very revealing with a SST Son of Ampzilla II amplifier and Von Schweikert VR-33 Loudspeakers or Mytek Brooklyn feeding Audeze LCD-2 headphones. The MQA stream was way better on every play - with no audible distortions. More air, deeper soundstage, better imaging. The Goldfrapp and Howe Gelb MQA streams in particular sounded like well mastered SACD's. I have a very fast Internet connection (175mbs download average) so maybe that has something to do with the sound quality.... I dunno, what are you missing?

Really?

"Nice to have but for sure not a must"? So you directly compared your CD rips on a SSD drive to the MQA master streams on Tidal and you preferred your CD rips? Seriously? Which Tidal MQA albums did you compare them to? Was the blue MQA light illuminated on your Brooklyn DAC? I compared four of my CD rips to the MQA streams on Tidal today and and every Tidal MQA stream sounded significantly better than the ripped CD on my Intel NUC with a Samsung SSD hard drive. My system is is very revealing with a SST Son of Ampzilla II amplifier and Von Schweikert VR-33 Loudspeakers or Mytek Brooklyn feeding Audeze LCD-2 headphones. The MQA stream was way better on every play - with no audible distortions. More air, deeper soundstage, better imaging. The Goldfrapp and Howe Gelb MQA streams in particular sounded like well mastered SACD's. I have a very fast Internet connection (175mbs download average) so maybe that has something to do with the sound quality.... I dunno, what are you missing?

I listened to Buena Vista Social Club and the MQA was lit blue on the Brooklyn. My CD rip had better dynamics and lower noise floor, it maybe something with the ethernet connection, but every system is different of course. I have Naim Supernait 2 with Neat Motive SX2 speakers. For sure sounds better than the normal HiFi tracks and much closer to my music stored on the SSD.

I was able to test it out last night, and yes, it sounds GREAT. It's nice for a change to listen to some mainstream artists on MQA instead of just the classical music I've had from 2L. My wife also sat down and said "this sounds really good".

My only gripe is that it is limited to the desktop app for now. I really would like it to work through my AURALIC Aries that has Tidal integration connected to the Brooklyn. I really prefer not running from the desktop app, as I think the laptop is noisy.

I fell lucky that I got to buy a Brooklyn DAC, as I think its a great device, and by far the best DAC I have owned so far (past DACs, NAD M51, Chord 2Qute with MCRU LPS). Two reasons made me buy mine at Musicarch bespoke hifi and audio | audiophile equipment | online hifi store, the first being the very good deal they gave me on a demo unit, the second being the owner, Donald, who is one of the nicest, most well informed and serviceable guys I ever came across in the audio gear business. Despite being satisfied with the performance of the DAC, and having had the experience of the unquestionable improvement a linear power supply had brought to my Chord 2Qute (wich was supposed to sound the same with or without a linear power supply - bullshit), and considering the Sbooster PSU, I asked Donald about the Bridge power supply he retails on his website. Although I was already expecting him to tell me wonders about it, the trust he had gotten from me as a costumer made me get one in full confidence. Once I got it, I was obviously nervous as this is not a cheap power supply when compared to the streamlined sbooster ones for ex, but upon approximately 150h (yes, it takes at least that long to come to its own), everything he had told me turn out to be true and even more. The level of quality this power supply brings to this already very very good DAC is astonishing and in my opinion, a must buy. I only wish I could have had the chance to try some others just to be able to claim it performs well above its price, but knowing Donald, and by his experience, I'm pretty sure it does. This is not an endorsed or advertised comment/review. Its only my honest, satisfied costumer, and well deserved feedback on both the products and the shop I got them from, and also an advice for fellow owners of this wonderful DAC and the way to improve it even further. A(u)dios everyone!

Aries Mini with Auralic LPS, Mytek Brooklyn DAC with Bridge LPS, Antique Sound Labs Hurricane MK2 monoblocks, XTZ custom speakers and Rel T7 Subwoofers.

I was able to test it out last night, and yes, it sounds GREAT. It's nice for a change to listen to some mainstream artists on MQA instead of just the classical music I've had from 2L. My wife also sat down and said "this sounds really good".

My only gripe is that it is limited to the desktop app for now. I really would like it to work through my AURALIC Aries that has Tidal integration connected to the Brooklyn. I really prefer not running from the desktop app, as I think the laptop is noisy.

Make a MQA playlist in the desktop app and film it with Tidal Masters. Import the playlist in LDS and play an album. Watch the blue light!

Make a MQA playlist in the desktop app and film it with Tidal Masters. Import the playlist in LDS and play an album. Watch the blue light!

Ok, wow. First, thanks for this reply. Just a couple questions, what do you mean by "film it" ? And I apologize for my ignorance, how to I import a playlist in LDS? thanks again

It makes a 2k DAC perform on par with far more expensive ones. So it depends on your budget, your gear and what you aim for. Might be worth it, might not. In my case, I got the demo Brooklyn for 1.5k, the power supply for 1k, totalling 2.5k, only 500$ above asking price of the DAC alone. The result imo is worth much more than that.

Ok, wow. First, thanks for this reply. Just a couple questions, what do you mean by "film it" ? And I apologize for my ignorance, how to I import a playlist in LDS? thanks again

Uhhh Film it was a typo :) I meant "fill it" I'm not sure how to import a playlist in LDS. It went automatically when I did it. Please remember it's new for me too. I tried bij putting just two albums in the (new) playlist and opened Tidal in LDS. Touched the playlists and it was there...

Uhhh Film it was a typo :) I meant "fill it" I'm not sure how to import a playlist in LDS. It went automatically when I did it. Please remember it's new for me too. I tried bij putting just two albums in the (new) playlist and opened Tidal in LDS. Touched the playlists and it was there...

LOL. Understood. Ok, very cool. I'll give it a try after work..glad it's Friday!